main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books The Secrets of the Sith

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean we kinda do, selfishness power, and evil...Not much to the Sith there.

2. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    "Sith is a belief." Darth Traya 1

"A Sith is the ultimate individual, there are as many different ways to be Sith as there are Sith." Darth Nox

Also the Sith Codes ends with "My Chains are Broken, The Force shall Free me".

There is more to the Sith than just "be evil and take stuff", or at least there can be.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yes but I've never been happy with a lot of the Legends EU's interpretations of the Sith. Especially TOR not evil sith.

4. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Why?

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I prefer the more classic Lucas approach to the Sith in general.

6. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    So no depth just evil space wizards? Very dull, if that is all you ever have.

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

sometimes I just want evil to be evil

Lord Exor likes this.
  8. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I wouldn’t even call it the Lucas approach, given that he made Vader ultimately a tragic figure and he approved of what Filoni and his daughter did with Maul’s characterisation in TCW.

Vialco and AusStig like this.
  9. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    sometimes yes. But not all the time. I find Sith much better too look into than the Empire who are generic fascists.

10. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    I've been thinking about this since recently going through the script for Dooku: Jedi Lost. What if Dooku attempted his own Sith revival after becoming the Count of Serenno, then was discovered by Sidious and they ended up dueling for the role of master and apprentice? Would mirror how certain Sith duos came about in Legends. I never thought of Dooku as much of a Sith apprentice; he's older than Sidious, and he studied the Sith long before joining them. If I recall correctly, the Revenge of the Sith novelization makes it clear that Sidious only ever saw him as a stopgap/useful idiot. Would be cool if there was more tension in their relationship.

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    We know he left the jedi council when was what 60. so years befreo TPM for this, him being seduced by the dark.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You want..... Sheev.

AusStig likes this.
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

i always want Sheev

Daneira likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For all that he's a great villain, Sheev tends to be the exception where villains are concerned in SW.

Sable_Hart and AusStig like this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I suppose he's the exception for villains generally, nowadays.

Almost every Disney or horror villain has a backstory.

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Palpatine is that 80's catroon villain, he dosen't have backstory for why he is evil, he just is. I think any back story of Palpatine will have that dark side and wanting to control and dominate.

Sable_Hart, Dream-Thinker and AusStig like this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well that's why he stands out and is considered a great, he's really the only self-aware Villain in the franchise who actually enjoys his evil and doesn't have any sense of nuance or at very least tries to cover it up.

Closet i can think of a character like that in another franchise is maybe The Joker in the DC universe..

Palpatine is The Joker of Star Wars

Sable_Hart likes this.
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I mean have you seen his evil laughs in ROST.

19. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Joker frequently gets tragic backstories attributed to him. It’s just that due to the nature of his madness you don’t have to believe any of them.

20. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    I prefer the idea that the Joker uses tragic backstories to lure in gullible and vulnerable people to his “cause” so that way they’re easier to use. Palpatine probably does the same to fellow senators and moffs.

AusStig likes this.
  21. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I think he genuinely doesn’t know if they’re real or not. But then, I do honestly believe the Joker is insane and not just sadistic and hyper-intelligent.

with Palpatine it seems like, at least in his human guise back in his senatorial days he was extremely charismatic. A high functioning sociopath who could charm anyone and work out what they wanted and needed to serve his own ends.

Sad thing is, we don’t see enough of this these days. Palpatine’s mostly just all powerful Sauron in most modern stories, whereas I think the Sith are more interesting when they have to operate in secrecy.

Golbolco likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, he's instead too busy setting up:

Choose A, I win.
    Choose B, I win
    Choose C, I win
    Work your way through the entire alphabet, I win

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Sable_Hart, AusStig and Dream-Thinker like this.
  23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think that's why I both like modern stories and the Sequel Trilogy in general.

The OT is now the Second Age

and ST the Third Age

To bad their was no one ring to destroy though ;)

24. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Palpatine works but he isn't the only badguy in the OT nor is he even the focus, that is Vader, who we know is a fallen hero.

25. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I like Palpatine, but I hope that we don't get any more Sith Lords quite like him in future. If we're going to have another "evil for the sake of it" Sith, have them be the apprentice, and/or significantly less competent than Palpatine.

They don't have to be tragic, relatable, or remotely likable, but more nuance is always welcome.