main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books The Secrets of the Sith

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    This passage is confusing for a variety of reasons, most of which have been noted already. Let's get one thing out of the way—it confirms once again that Sidious had no long-term investment in Kylo Ren.

Now let's move on to the ugly parts: Palpatine's clone body deteriorated almost instantaneously after Endor, and this passage assumes that he could potentially survive alongside Rey. Palpatine's only interest in Rey was as a method of personal survival, and essence transfer appeared to be his primary gambit for immortality. Perhaps then we can infer from the text that Sidious surmised that—as a long shot—he could create a dyad with Rey, and its power would be enough to revivify his body. It's a possibility that this was preferable to him over body swapping, and we're all aware of Palpatine's proclivity for circuitous contingencies. I suppose this makes his temporary triumph near the end of TROS less serendipity and more, "Aha! This was actually just another outcome I (kind of) accounted for! Mwahahaha!"

That's another thing. Once a dyad is created, is it necessary for both members of the dyad to remain present? After asborbing its power, Palpatine treated Ben and Rey as disposable trash.

(On top of all this, the book reinforces Palpatine's desire to inhabit Rey's body at its conclusion. So... yeah.)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Vialco and Darth Tormentum like this.
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Rey, Sheen jr, ms skrev and Ochii.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Got the book today and loving it so far! Questions?

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Cool, got any new info and details.

5. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    How did you get it already? I can’t get mine till Oct 12th.

6. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I am a bookseller myself. It arrived today in my store.

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

7. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Neat! I thought it might have something to do with what country your in.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Any and all things Snoke related even if it’s just reconfirming what we know

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Anything on Darth Plagueis and Darth Bane?

10. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    anything bout our dark gods ?

11. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    The Immortal Gods of the Sith?

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Is the dark god, the son of the dark side mentioned in this.

13. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    them and the left handed lord

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope for some mortis gods mention and WBW as Palpatine was obsessed with it.

15. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I wish to know about them too.

Darth Corydon likes this.
  16. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Well I live in germany and had to import the book from oversees, still getting it this early is rare but in the past it worked several times like a charme.

As for this book, I do wonder for WHO Palpatine writes books like this inuniverse? Just himself gloating to himself? Did he expect anybody to ever read his tomes if he is the penultimate evil he believes to be? And if this is an inuniverse book, why did he add foldouts and tokens? Palpatines memorabilia diary?

Also this books art is glorious! Some pieces not yet spoiled by others are truly epic! Feels like a dark side version of Bob Ross was ever accompanying Palpatine and painted any battle, duel or cosmic happenance and vision that took place around him. "Just a brush of the dar side here, some lightsabers there, and lets not forget the happy chants of Korah Matah in the background..."
    Given Lord Momin loved to create and is a true artist... maybe him or his mask fill that function even, and yes Momin got his section in the book too!

I especially like the dark side Quinlan Vos depiction! The Fourth Precept-esque Dyad Art (without Rey or Ben depicted mind you!) and also a certain female Sith in a Sith holocron as well as the Mortis WBW art piece or Ochi's epic art with dagger and nice surroundings!

Snoke proofed unworthy to contain Palpatines essence, they tried. And the Sith Eternal created him before Clone-Palpatine as a failed experiment. Confirmation that he liked Snokes strong natural connection to the Force and hence could use him in other ways as we know. Palpatine also says Snoke was a temporary measure at best.

After Snoke experiments, his followers tried to produce a new body via another technique known as Strand-Casting. Quote: "Countless cloned bodies were produced from my genetic template. All but one of them were utter failures." All of them did not survive the process but Rey's dad did and still had no Force. Quote: "I rejected this useless creature but chose to let it live." He kept his "son" (he never ceases to spit the word out and talk bad about him) around believing his Palpatine blood would some day be useful even if he himself is unworthy of his legacy.

Because of Palpatine shunning him, he shunned his "father" and the Sith legacy entire. When he and his mate had a child, they absconded with the kid and went into hiding.

More Snoke and Ben:
    Palpatine tells he used Snoke as his proxy to reach into Ben's mind and influence his choices, severing his bonds to family, turning him against the new Jedi Order. He also reaffirms that he helped faciliate the Force connection between Kylo and Rey (as Snoke claimed in TLJ bridging their minds) but he did it for a purpose unrelated to the Dyad. He did it because the bond would unbalance Kylo further and he wanted him to kill her to break the bond and his last connection to the light (before he knew she was his granddaughter that is!).

Palpatine mostly gloats about himself but Plagueis was able to save others (plural!) from death and Palpatine studied his methods after slaying him and achieved the power to transfer his essence from one body (quote: "mortal vessel") to another but it does not say when or whose body (maybe a clone or else pre-ROTJ already? Or to Snoke and back again into his original body?). Hence he knew his spirit would be eternal even if his flesh fails him.

As for Bane or other Sith.. of course he is mentioned, but I saw nothing new lorewise for him.

some quotes:
    "A millennium ago the Sith and Jedi were nearly equal in numbers"

Darth Atrius is an ancient Sith Lord who fancied a crossguard saber and inspired Kylo to turn his Jedi blade into one.

Well there is a section on the Acolytes of the Beyond complete with a nice illustration of them around a Sith Eternal logo on the ground in ritual worship of a mysterious dark being/spirit/whatever...
    (Another such entity with cloack and glowing eyes can be found above Palpatine in a lineage art piece in the Dyad section. unless it is supposed to be Plagueis in this one and someone else in the former)

It even talks about what they are and do and how Yupe Tashu changed them from their previous behavior to a more suiting one for the Sith cause.

Also an Ochi illustration features a weird entity, skullfaced like a dark spirit from the netherworld in relation to the Sith Dagger.

Also the Knights of Ren get lore expansion!!!

Quote: "Those who dwell in the Unknown Regions have long whispered legends of the Knights of Ren. This band of Marauders was said to have burned their way across worlds, consuming everything in their path. In recent years, an enclave of warriors stepped from the darkness to claim that name and the fear it instilled as their own."

So yeah... the Knights of Ren are far older ancient legend! And the current ones stole the name and fame! Ha! I predicted this looong ago. Nice to see it confirmed!

The WBW got a section indeed! And art too!

Also new DYAD lore that is intriguing...

Not only can the members of the Dyad send objects through space to each other but also through time!!! Yub another SW timetravel confirmation that according to Dyad lore recorded in inuniverse past had happened!

And we got a confession of Palpatine influencing the minds of many from afar, whispering to them as if the Force spoke to them, sending them visions, etc. pushing them closer to darkness or madness and to even form bonds (bridge minds maybe?) between people that would lead to their fates drifting towards each other in ways that would benefit his grand design. He talks as if he does not just mean Ben and Rey but many others as well, the entire post ROTJ era full of people to be exact. Galactic Dejarik Chess Professor X in Cerebro style!

For linguists, the Old Tongue aka ur-Kittat got a section too!

And for Legends fans, Moraband is also referend to as Korriban once.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@ColeFardreamer

WAIT WAIT WAIT

HOLD IT

So Snoke was a creature made before Palpatine Clone body...So he was made PRE ROTJ ?

18. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    Palpatine briefly covers the WBW and his desire to control it.
    Snoke is treated... interestingly in this book. It mostly corroborates what the The Star Wars Book intimated about Snoke—that he was created after 4 ABY as part of the Sith Eternal's efforts to concoct a new body for Palpatine. Snoke was too weak to contain the spirit of Sidious. Palpatine alludes to controlling Snoke as a literal puppet, with many of Snoke's actions and even words being claimed by Palpatine himself.

If you're looking for clarity or further context for Palpatine's plans in TROS, you're going to be disappointed. This book appears to complicate things, with Sidious contradicting himself on several occasions. One moment, he talks about potentially forming a dyad with Rey (despite her very existence being predicated on his hunger for immortality through body hopping); the next, he talks about sincerely commanding Kylo to kill her, despite viewing Kylo as a tool with little promise beyond that. At the end of the book, he reaffirms his desire to take over Rey's body with essence transfer, even narcissistically gloating that, "There is no vessel more worthy of [his] infinite might than a child of [his] own flesh." Perhaps he did briefly contemplate taking Kylo's body if he succeeded in killing Rey. But if that's the case, why didn't he initiate the ritual with Kylo at the beginning of the film?

Here's a fascinating factoid that should come as no surprise: Palpatine created the Sith Eternal to fulfill "...the next step in [his] ascendancy." The eternal in Sith Eternal refers to his infinite reign.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    AusStig and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Lord Exor

Way I see it

Win-Win sitaution

Form Dyad with Rey since that Palpatine blood. That fails

Get Ben to kill Rey, take over his body, and gets to have his best petty revenge against the Skywalker family ever

Ben wimps out

Back to Rey now since again Palpatine's gotta stick together.

Granted we have to assume that we can't 100% trust the narrator here since it is Palpatine's POV after all.

Lord Exor likes this.
  20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

It does not say so literally but before we dance back and forth about wording and interpretations, here is a quote:

"My new body's deformities were severe. Unable to leave Exegol, I would have to spread my influence across the galaxy through less direct means. As part of their genetic experiments, my followers had attempted to create another being that came to be known as Snoke. Although his body proved unworthy of containing my dark essence, Snoke's natural sensitivity of the Force would make him a powerful puppet nonetheless."

Depends how you read this. Also how you read this in relation to other parts of the book discussing not snoke but Palpatines bodyhopping and cloning experiments.

In short, clones failed him after transfering into them and quickly as in Dark Empire originally. So since ROTJ he probably had to switch bodies several times (my conjecture). The Sith Eternal kept experimenting with different techniques. One lead to Snoke, others to Rey's dad, etc.

Thing is the above sections past tense sounded to me as if it might not be a recent experiment. Though it still could be read as them trying different beings once Palpatines own direct clones proofed a failure. But that is making less sense to me as only AFTER Snoke did they change method to strand-cast Rey's dad and his countless dead brothers, which are a closer and more direct link to Palpatine than Snoke. And if Rey's dad is a clone of Palpatine (with strand-cast adding something to the mix), then Snoke is what? Entirely different being? Also part Palpatine and others strand-casted? The text clearly differentiates between both processes and results. So I think, Snoke is an older experiment pre ROTJ indeed, cause it is illogical to move post ROTJ from 1:1 Palpaclones that fail, to Snoke and back to 1:1 clones with strand-cast addition chronologically.

21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@ColeFardreamer

Well we know in the comics that there Snoke jars were their when Vader was visiting them so Proto Snoke's were a thing if we wanna take that into account.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  22. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    sooo, force god-emperor sheev looking more or less likely?

23. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Indeed, I think we have the same deal as with the Knights of Ren or other stuff recently. They are a recent thing but based on something far older. Who knows what they threw in the mix when creating... or maybe even ressurecting Snoke? Before Palpatine would any science noobs test their theories on him he sure as hell would let them try with somebody else to see if it worked.. Maybe Snoke was said test subject. Plagueis had his fellow Sith to experiment on... Palpatine used Snoke. How many times did he kill him and bring him back? Take him over and leave him maybe?

He Lemelisked him so to speak! I still like the fantheory that Snoke was Plagueis not in body but in spirit and Palpatine channeled him back and trapped him in this body or parts of him.

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Also

This book also doubles down on the Son Clone thing.

@ColeFardreamer

I wonder if there gonna try and synthesis the origin of Snoke from the TLJ novel with TROS stuff. Remember Snoke thought he was 100 of years old.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2021
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I love all the Snoke content here and did i read this right was Rey born on Exegol and they escaped later.