main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Seedy Side: A characterization thread and index for the SW underworld - MOVED December 27, 2005

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Fate, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WanderingJedi

WanderingJedi Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2004
    Actually, the main characters in Dark Forces are Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors, not just Kyle. At this point in continuity, Kyle is a non-aligned mercenary, not a Rebel, so I believe he does fit here. I made an updated story description, and Kyle's profile follows that.

Title: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/16822930/?2 Dark Forces[/link Author: WanderingJedi Timeline: Post-ANH, pre-TESB Genre: Action/Adventure Main Characters: Kyle Katarn, Jan Ors Summary: Mercenary Kyle Katarn and Rebel Jan Ors investigate a new Imperial threat, the "Dark Trooper" project. (Novelization based on the original [i]Dark Forces[/i] game for PC, Mac, and PS1.)

Name: Kyle Katarn

Homeworld: Sulon

Top three likes: credits; Jan Ors; his ship, the Moldy Crow

Top three dislikes: The Empire; causes; the Hutts

Strengths: an excellent saboteur and mercenary

Weaknesses: Trusts no one besides his longtime friend and partner, Jan Ors; distrusts all causes

Quirks: Hides his emotional scars beneath a veneer of humor; carries multiple weapons

Motivation: Hatred of the Empire; credits.

Weapons of choice: old Bryar rifle modified into a handgun; hand-to-hand[/link]

2. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Hi Fate! Thanks for including me in this thread, and might I add, it looks very cool in here! :D

I thought I'd add a little about my nasty little assassin too, to start off.

Name: Zeb Bariella
    Species: Zabrak
    Homeworld: Coruscant
    Top three likes: Violence, silence, water
    Top three dislikes: Children, hawkbats, bright lights
    Strengths: Silent, well trained and patient, Completely cold hearted.
    Weaknesses: Can be tricked into a rage, making him erratic and ultraviolent.
    Quirks: Keeps a part of his victims as a trophy, likes to practice his skills on children
    Motivation: Completely insane.
    Weapons of choice: Three-pronged vibroblade glove, anything handy.

Again, nice to see this place up and running, and I hope to drop by more often [face_devil]

3. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    *dashes in* I'm here! :p I've actually been busy with the index, miracle upon miracles, but more about that after replies. :cool:

'Sullivan:

Hey Fate, great to see you back here!

*grins* Great to see you, too, and thanks for bearing with me. ;)

And look what happens when I turn my back for ... uhh... two weeks.

*blinks* My lord, had it really been that long? :eek: *checks date* Yep. [face_blush]

Perhaps now, with our combined strength, we can END this destructive conflict, and RULE the galaxy as...

OH, sorry, I'm having star wars overload at the moment after watching the DVD's

*laughs* Lucky. I still haven't gotten mine yet. [face_frustrated] Not that I don't want to, of course, but you know - bills and all. :oops:

And speaking of which:

What did everyone think of GL overdubbing Boba's voice with that of Jango's??

Funny you should mention this, because I just got done discussing this with some friends of mine. Thanks for bringing it up in here. ;)

Perhaps it is just a personal thing, but I was quite irked for two reasons.

1) - as a voice actor, he has nothing on the old actor;

Since I haven't seen the DVDs yet, I really can't judge, but I liked the original voice-overs just fine. My main take on this whole 'out with the old, in with the new' thing is that George is being pretty disrespectful and ungrateful to the actors that helped him build his empire. I know I'd be beyond ticked off to be just deleted like that. Like I told my friends, the intelligent thing to do would have been make two versions of the DVDs - one kept the original way, and the other with all the changes he wanted. Even from a strictly material point of view, that way makes more sense, since most fans would probably buy both, just to have them, which would equal double the profits. I'd probably buy both so I wouldn't have to pick. :p

Anyway, that's my two cents. ;)

2) - As an Australian, I am mortified that Boba Fett is now officially a New Zealander!! Grrrr!!!! grrrrrr!

*laughs!* Is that in keeping with your thoughts about how Boba's past should have remained a mystery? Or do you just think he should have come from somewhere else? If Temuera had been an American, I'd probably feel equally jilted. But Australia rocks - it was like founded by pirates and stuff, which automatically makes it cool. [face_devil]

:p Now that that's off my chest!

*grins* Feel better? :p

You're doing a great job with this thread simply by having it here Fate. As long as us participants keep up with (as is implied by our designated title) the participating, i'm sure this thread will flourish!

*ducks head* Thank you. [face_love] And I definitely hope so, but so far, things are going even better than I'd thought they would. I was sure there were others out there who were as interested in the underworld as I am, but it's nice to have confirmation. ;)

I love the index of stories, and I plan to work my way gradually through them (that is, excluding the ones I am already reading, which get priority ).

Well, of course. ;) I've been shamefully lax on posting on the stories of my favorite authors lately - it's like juggling, because as soon as I catch one thing, another starts to fall... and we won't even go into RL. [face_frustrated]

Thanks again! [face_mischief]

WanderingJedi:

Actually, the main characters in Dark Forces are Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors, not just Kyle. At this point in continuity, Kyle is a non-aligned mercenary, not a Rebel, so I believe he does fit here. I made an updated story description, and Kyle's profile follows that.

Thanks very much for the clarification, and I'll take care of that right away. :cool:

Name: Kyle Katarn

Another young bo

4. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    *grins impishly* Needless to say, I'm disgustingly pleased with myself. :p And I have Pallas-Athena to thank for the wonderful idea. [face_love] If you haven't already, check out her lovely work on the Ani/Ami Databank 2.0 when you get a moment - it's absolutely breathtaking. [face_mischief] I'm pleased to say I helped with the gold button and found the arena picture, but the rest was all her. [face_love]

Now, of course, I'm dying to know what you think. [face_batting] I'm particularly fond of the "A-N" button - that part of the "Breathing" trailer's always been one I loved watching. Something about Jango's fluid, graceful motion in that wicked suit. [face_devil]

Anyway, I actually came up with a few more buttons for the 'title button', but I couldn't pick, so I'd love it if you'd be willing to help. Here are the others:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/caliekitty/underworld_button_index-faded3.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/caliekitty/underworld_button_index-faded2.jpg]

There are two others, as well - one that 'twitches', and one that 'blinks'.

And of course, if you think it's fine the way it is, that's awesome, too. [face_mischief]

Anyway, I'm off for now, but I should be back in a little while with my first posted update and another surprise. :cool:

Edit: It just occured to me that someone here might have epilepsy - I know it probably isn't likely, but you never know. So I've changed the 'twitching' and 'flashing' buttons to links to them instead. It might be silly, but you never know. ;)

Edit 2: Okay, I think my brain's turned to mush - I'm not afraid to admit it. :p But it occurs to me that if I don't even want to publicly preview the moving icons, I probably won't be using them. So the other two button choices are the ones I've displayed. Still, if you don't have epilepsy, check out the linked ones - they're pretty cool. :cool:

For freedom. For justice. Viva la Rebellion.

5. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    First Update:

*grins* Back, and with two new additions to the index; while looking for one, I thought of another.

To start off with, Mjsullivan?s come through again, with yet another underworld fic. I?ve read it, and it?s awesome. [face_devil]

Title: A Matter of Time

Timeline: Intertrilogy - about fifteen years before ANH

Genre: Vignette, Drama

Main Characters: Young Talon Karrde, OCs

Summary: Even from a young age, Talon Karrde knew how to mix it with the best of 'em.

And with the second, I?d like to welcome Gabri-Jade to the index ? hers is a hilarious one-poster about two underworld dwellers we don?t hear that much about. ;)

Title: We?ll Always Have Coruscant

Timeline: Either just before or during the early events of AotC.

Genre: Missing moment, Romance

Main Characters: Hermione, Elan Sleazebaggano

Summary: "It started the way it always starts - with a guy." Two little-known characters meet ? and mingle ? in the depths of Coruscant. But can love conquer the underworld?

Also, I?ve prettied up the index a bit more. [face_mischief] I?ll give it a few more minutes, and then I?ll post the ?surprise?. ;)

6. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    *laughs!* Is that in keeping with your thoughts about how Boba's past should have remained a mystery? Or do you just think he should have come from somewhere else?

Hehe, there is a traditional rivalry between Australia and New Zealand that puts the USA/Canada relationship to shame ;) Aussies and Kiwis are usually born mortal enemies, primarily due to cricket and rugby teams, but also due to the fact that Kiwis are a bunch of wimpy wimp wimps :D hehehe! My wit is biting.

But Australia rocks - it was like founded by pirates and stuff, which automatically makes it cool.

Hehe, How could I write anything but underworld stories when my country's origins are built on a convict colony? Albeit, there was plenty of british influence aswell...Perhaps thats why alot of my characters are such aristocratically-demeanoured criminals [face_thinking]

Oh, and pertaining to discussions on the new OT: Apologies to anybody who may have had one of the surprises spoiled! I forgot that there were alot of people who may not want to know about new changes such as this.

But seeing as it's brough up anyway ;)

I agree with you about bringing out two versions of the trilogy. There was one particular scene in ESB that single handedly took my carefully EU and OT compliant fic Working in Darkness, turned it upside down, and made it AU. Not that I mind that much - but I did go to alot of effort to make sure that I wasn't stepping on anyone's toes. Now, from act one, scene one, page one, paragraph one, sentence one, WiD flies in the face of the OT. Thanks, GL [face_shame_on_you]

*grins impishly* Needless to say, I'm disgustingly pleased with myself

You should be! I love the buttons! =D= I actually rather like the standard index one just how it is, without the twitchy blink - though they are very good, too! :D The index is now a place where people can bring their children, and elderly relations, and enjoy a wholesome time browsing! Well done, even if the idea was borrowed. Borrowing isn't stealing! We ought to know - this entire thread is about that very issue ;)

And thankyou for adding matter of time to the index, also. It's quite at home there, especially with it's pretty new surroundings now ;)

Also, Hello! to PulsarSkate and WanderingJedi. It is excellent to see more people around in here!

7. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    Hehe, there is a traditional rivalry between Australia and New Zealand that puts the USA/Canada relationship to shame

*ducks head* And here I thought they were the same place. Good lord... :p

*giggles* I'm cool with Canada. It hasn't done anything to me.

Aussies and Kiwis are usually born mortal enemies, primarily due to cricket and rugby teams, but also due to the fact that Kiwis are a bunch of wimpy wimp wimps hehehe! My wit is biting.

[face_laugh] Oh, yes, very. :p

Hehe, How could I write anything but underworld stories when my country's origins are built on a convict colony? Albeit, there was plenty of british influence aswell...Perhaps thats why alot of my characters are such aristocratically-demeanoured criminals

*laughs!* Yeah - I wonder what my excuse is for being so unrepentantly captivated with the underworld. [face_devil]

Oh, and pertaining to discussions on the new OT: Apologies to anybody who may have had one of the surprises spoiled! I forgot that there were alot of people who may not want to know about new changes such as this.

Oh, it's okay - I can't speak for everyone, but it's okay on my end. That's something I actually found out about weeks before the DVDs came out. ;)

*cups hands* Everyone, we apologize for spoiling you. But take comfort in the fact that you still get to hear it for yourself. ;)

I agree with you about bringing out two versions of the trilogy. There was one particular scene in ESB that single handedly took my carefully EU and OT compliant fic Working in Darkness, turned it upside down, and made it AU.

*laughs* Oh, that would bug me. Well, it would if I'd gone to the effort, anyway - I seldom trouble myself. If I can find the information, I work it into my story, and if I can't, so it's AU - in a way, all fan fiction is.

Not that I mind that much - but I did go to alot of effort to make sure that I wasn't stepping on anyone's toes. Now, from act one, scene one, page one, paragraph one, sentence one, WiD flies in the face of the OT. Thanks, GL

*snorts* Yeah, thanks. Way to keep your fans in mind. o_O Although... it's common knowledge that he can't stand us, so maybe this is his sick revenge! :mad:

:p

You should be! I love the buttons!

*grins* I adore them, and I'm so glad you do, too. [face_love] It's getting to where it takes me a few minutes to check page two, because I can't wrench my eyes away from Jango. [face_blush]

I actually rather like the standard index one just how it is, without the twitchy blink - though they are very good, too!

*laughs* I got carried away. [face_blush] I tend to when I'm making icons - it's just so much fun. :p

*muses* But I also liked the 'tinted' buttons - particularly the red.

The index is now a place where people can bring their children, and elderly relations, and enjoy a wholesome time browsing!

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

'Sullivan, you almost made me fall out of my chair. :p

Well done, even if the idea was borrowed. Borrowing isn't stealing! We ought to know - this entire thread is about that very issue

*laughs* Exactly! It isn't stealing if you promise to give it back... no, wait. I don't plan on giving them back. Okay, so it is stealing. But it's honest stealing, because I credited. *attempts to don halo and has hands scorched* [face_devil]

And thankyou for adding matter of time to the index, also. It's quite at home there, especially with it's pretty new surroundings now

*beams* I really liked that story, so I was glad when you added it to the boards. [face_mischief]

Thanks again! [face_love]

Okay, so I lied - I'm a rogue, what can I say? ]:) But I couldn't bear to quadruple-post, and then I fell asleep...

Anyway, here's t

8. Forcefire

Forcefire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2000
    Hey, things are moving in this place (anybody else think of entering a slightly disreputable tavern when they click on this thread? And I don't even drink.).

mjs
    Hey Forcefire, Hey Face! So glad to see you guys in here Perhaps now, with our combined strength, we can END this destructive conflict, and RULE the galaxy as...

Go on... Actually, given the bent of our works, we'd be more likely to stay out of the war and quietly make a profit in some obscure corner of the galaxy.

Hehe, there is a traditional rivalry between Australia and New Zealand that puts the USA/Canada relationship to shame

Ah, the Canuckleheads. It's mostly good natured ribbing between us. I think it was this year that marked our two nations as the longest time anybody shared a border and didn't go to was with each other. Seemed like an odd thing to celebrate, but so be it.

Okay, I'm going to admit it, I've got a love for the both of ya's. Australia is totally sweet. I could annoy you to death with Australia questions. I always wondered if you guys got annoyed when penal colony talk came up. Anyway, Australia does pretty much top my list of foreign countries to visit (and you're a continent, too. At the same time! That's pretty cool, too. Am I easily astonished? At times, yes.)

Then there's New Zealand. I don't know too much about them, but they do have more penguins per square mile (or kilometer, I suppose). And penguins are just plain cool (they always dress formal.)

PulsarSkate
    Name: Zeb Bariella
    Species: Zabrak
    Homeworld: Coruscant
    Top three likes: Violence, silence, water
    Top three dislikes: Children, hawkbats, bright lights
    Strengths: Silent, well trained and patient, Completely cold hearted.
    Weaknesses: Can be tricked into a rage, making him erratic and ultraviolent.
    Quirks: Keeps a part of his victims as a trophy, likes to practice his skills on children
    Motivation: Completely insane.
    Weapons of choice: Three-pronged vibroblade glove, anything handy.

Jeez, that's some scary stuff. Nothing like a complete sociopath to spice up a story.

Fate
    Hmm, nice interview (and buttons. I like the one with the nervous tic).
    That Jango, always with the taciturn nature. He was a bit short with you a few times, there. I like that it took a few tries to get certain things out of him, very Jango indeed. I should try something like this.

Some of these characters are going to be tough nuts to crack (unless Face brings Remy in. Then you'll have an interviewee who never shuts up).

9. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    Hey, things are moving in this place (anybody else think of entering a slightly disreputable tavern when they click on this thread? And I don't even drink.).

*grins* You do know you just made my day, right? [face_devil]

Go on... Actually, given the bent of our works, we'd be more likely to stay out of the war and quietly make a profit in some obscure corner of the galaxy.

*nods* It's true - war's the easiest way to turn a quick profit. A true mercenary would be in on black-market arms dealing right from the start; he wouldn't tangle with his profits by declaring loyalties. Far better to hug the middle and profit from both sides. It's terribly cynical of me to even mention this, but such is the law of the underworld.

Ah, the Canuckleheads. It's mostly good natured ribbing between us. I think it was this year that marked our two nations as the longest time anybody shared a border and didn't go to was with each other. Seemed like an odd thing to celebrate, but so be it.

*grins* Amen, I say - it's best to get along with your neighbors. ;) And yeah, that's pretty much the relationship - we've got bigger problems with people farther away, as it happens.

Okay, I'm going to admit it, I've got a love for the both of ya's. Australia is totally sweet. I could annoy you to death with Australia questions.

*laughs!* Well, at least you knew they were two different countries. *is still embarrassed*

I always wondered if you guys got annoyed when penal colony talk came up. Anyway, Australia does pretty much top my list of foreign countries to visit (and you're a continent, too. At the same time! That's pretty cool, too. Am I easily astonished? At times, yes.)

*laughs!!* Don't worry, I am, too. ;) And I feel the same way about Australia. Hot, rugged men, swaggering about with wicked accents, and descendants of pirates, no less! What's not to love? [face_blush]

Then there's New Zealand. I don't know too much about them, but they do have more penguins per square mile (or kilometer, I suppose). And penguins are just plain cool (they always dress formal.)

*giggles* I love how they flop on their bellies and slide. It just seems so ludicrous compared with the way they're dressed. They're adorable. [face_love]

Jeez, that's some scary stuff. Nothing like a complete sociopath to spice up a story.

*shudders* I know. I keep telling myself that he must have some redeeming quality, but then I keep deciding that no, he's just wicked, and in the original meaning of the word.

Hmm, nice interview (and buttons. I like the one with the nervous tic).

*giggles* I had fun. :p But we've got to look out for our aged patrons. [face_mischief] *tosses a wink in 'Sullivan's direction*

That Jango, always with the taciturn nature. He was a bit short with you a few times, there.

*laughs* Oh, he was a trial to interview. o_O

I like that it took a few tries to get certain things out of him, very Jango indeed. I should try something like this.

It really was a lot of fun, and it helped me get inside his head. That's why I've been thinking it'd be cool if we could come up with some standard interview, and each use them on our underworld characters, and post them here. It could be our first challenge... Okay. That's decided, and I'll have it up soon. [face_mischief]

Some of these characters are going to be tough nuts to crack (unless Face brings Remy in. Then you'll have an interviewee who never shuts up).

*laughs!!* That's the one with the addiction to caffeine, right? :p I really need to check that story out. ;)

Thanks for replying, ForceFire! [face_love]

10. Forcefire

Jul 17, 2000
    Hot, rugged men, swaggering about with wicked accents, and descendants of pirates, no less! What's not to love?
    My mom once said that the man with the Australian accent was for women what the woman with the Italian accent is for us guys. I guess I prefer a girl with a soft British or Irish voice, if we're talking about foreign accents (soft, not cockney).

And I'm a big fan of the pirate as well. Something very interesting about the swashbuckling life to me (I should start reading about them).

But we've got to look out for our aged patrons. *tosses a wink in 'Sullivan's direction*
    You do realize you have a year on both mjs and myself, right? :p

Though I've logged more board time (but less posts) than both of you. I'm a friggin' oldbie. When did this happen?

11. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    My mom once said that the man with the Australian accent was for women what the woman with the Italian accent is for us guys. I guess I prefer a girl with a soft British or Irish voice, if we're talking about foreign accents (soft, not cockney).

*grins* Oh, don't get me wrong - they have wicked accents, too. [face_love] Pretty much any accent's awesome in my book, so long as it isn't too pronounced or annoying. *coughBAWSTANcough* :p

And I'm a big fan of the pirate as well. Something very interesting about the swashbuckling life to me (I should start reading about them).

Me, I've always been a fan - even when I was a little girl, I always loved to play pirate. I'd climb up a tree to 'scout', and then I'd lead daring raids in the backyard. [face_devil] Ah, the innocence of youth.

Anyway, POTC only heightened my obsession. :p

You do realize you have a year on both mjs and myself, right?

*laughs!* Oh, good lord, don't remind me. :( I'm not ready to be almost-not-a-teenager-anymore, damn it! [face_worried]

But actually, I was referring to 'Sullivan's hilarious comment about how now the thread was safe for 'children and elderly patrons'. [face_laugh]

Though I've logged more board time (but less posts) than both of you. I'm a friggin' oldbie. When did this happen?

*grins* Don't question it. Revel in your oldbie-ness; that's like gold around here. Me, I've never 'gotten' it, but I'm just weird. :p

In just a few more minutes, I'll be back with another update. [face_mischief]

12. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    Second Update

Once again, I?ve found more fics than I expected to. Hopefully this trend continues, and the need arises to create two new index buttons. [face_batting] I?ve got the base photos all lined up. :p

With this update, we?re welcoming the works of three new authors to the thread. The first is LukesTheMan. I came across her poetry, and I absolutely adored it. It?s about Anakin, but I think it applies to all ?shadow dwellers?, so I?ve brought it here so we all can enjoy it. [face_love]

Title: I Am a Shadow Dweller

Timeline: Possibly ANH

Genre: Poetry

Main Character: Anakin Skywalker

Summary: A beautiful composition about life in the shadows.

The second piece comes from sea_trooper. It?s a Clone War?s story narrated by Taun We in journal entry format. Naturally, cloners belong in the underworld as well, so here it is with all of its unsavory companions. [face_devil]

Title: The Life of Taun We: The Cloning Years

Timeline: Pre-TPM through the end of the Clone Wars

Genre: Journal Entries

Main Character: Taun We

Summary: Taun We chronicles the part she played in the cloning process, and the day-to-day effect it had on her life.

The last fic was written by Winged_Jedi. Just the title alone?s enough to grant it entry, but I peeked at it, and it really looks fascinating. Sometime soon I?m going to have to sit down and read and reply to the fics in my index. :p

Title: Religion of Rogues

Timeline: Post-AotC

Genre: Adventure, Drama

Main Characters: OCs

Summary: What happens if you mix Tatooine, mercenaries, rivalries, crime lords, con-men and a few cunning old soldiers together? This story, that's what.

And in the midst of my wanderings, I found the most adorable piece of fanart. [face_love]

I also found a really interesting article: Fett History

I just skimmed through it, but it looks really, really good. Of course, now my story?s solidly AU, but that doesn?t bother me much ? if anything, reading it just might get me out of my writing slump. ;)

And last but most definitely not least, I made a new button for the index. [face_love] I just can?t get over how adorable that little guy is.

That?s it for now. :cool:

13. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    *shudders* Egad, I'm actually frightened. I definitely wouldn't want to come across your character in a dark alley. Of course, now I want to know why he's this way, so I'll just have to wait and find out

*shudders* I know. I keep telling myself that he must have some redeeming quality, but then I keep deciding that no, he's just wicked, and in the original meaning of the word.

[face_devil] It's nice to know my psychotic little assassin is doing his job. Zeb is one of those characters you hope you aren't drawing from some dark little place in your personality. I had already created my Jedi a while ago, but I needed to figure out why she was so obsessed with this Zeb Bariella guy. And then I sat down and thought about him, how he thinks, how he reacts to things...and this horrifying child killer came to my head and stayed there until I got it all written down. He's possibly the worst bad guy I've ever created. *shudder* Wicked indeed.

But thank you fro the compliments! As nasty as he is, it's good to know that he comes across that way to other people...

Thanks for the very warm welcome! :D The Index looks wonderfully pretty/seedy and that Jango interview was hilarious! :p I can't wait to read some of the fics listed! *rubs her hands together with glee*

And as an Aussie, I just have to comment on the Aus vs NZ thing... bloody sheep lovers! :p

14. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    It's nice to know my psychotic little assassin is doing his job. Zeb is one of those characters you hope you aren't drawing from some dark little place in your personality.

*laughs* Oh, he definitely is. We're all scared to death of him. ;) Which, of course, is his sole reason for being. [face_devil]

I had already created my Jedi a while ago, but I needed to figure out why she was so obsessed with this Zeb Bariella guy. And then I sat down and thought about him, how he thinks, how he reacts to things...and this horrifying child killer came to my head and stayed there until I got it all written down.

*shakes head* Isn't it funny how some characters just demand to be written? :p Boba was like that. After I finished "The Black Book", he was like, "Well? What happens to me now? You can't just leave me like this - what's to become of me?" And then he glowered at me, and tapped his little foot. [face_love]

He's possibly the worst bad guy I've ever created. *shudder* Wicked indeed.

*muses* I'm trying to think of a bad guy I've created, but I can't come up with one. I've only written Sidious and Jabba, and I have a few idiotic OCs that give Boba a bit of grief, but I've yet to come up with an actual villian, and I need to.

But thank you fro the compliments! As nasty as he is, it's good to know that he comes across that way to other people...

Exactly. ;) It's who he is that makes him belong in the underworld.

Thanks for the very warm welcome! The Index looks wonderfully pretty/seedy and that Jango interview was hilarious!

*beams* People like my buttons - I'm so happy. [face_mischief] And wasn't it, though? :p I laugh every time I read it.

I can't wait to read some of the fics listed! *rubs her hands together with glee*

*grins* Me, neither - and the list is getting longer every day, so I really need to get on it. :oops:

And as an Aussie, I just have to comment on the Aus vs NZ thing... bloody sheep lovers!

[face_laugh]

I'm waiting for some New Zealander to come in to defend the honor of his homeland. :p

I'm off to scout again, and I should have another update in a little while. [face_mischief] If I've been extra active around here lately, it's mainly because I start training for a new job next week. It's full-time, so as of Monday, my carefree server days are over, and I won't be around as much. ;)

15. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    And as an Aussie, I just have to comment on the Aus vs NZ thing... bloody sheep lovers!

:D Pulsarskate, glad to have you around :D So far, us aussies outnumber the kiwis 2 to 0. *sigh*. We beat them at so many things it's almost boring :p

I'm waiting for some New Zealander to come in to defend the honor of his homeland.

Haha, when he/she does, they can expect to counter light resistance :p I dont really hate NZ. I mean, without NZ Australia would never be able to claim that Russel Crowe and Mel Gibson are ours! hehehe.

I'm off to scout again, and I should have another update in a little while. If I've been extra active around here lately, it's mainly because I start training for a new job next week. It's full-time, so as of Monday, my carefree server days are over, and I won't be around as much.

Best of luck with your new job, Fate! It's a shame that you'll be around less, but the Real World needs you more than we do ;) As long as you're about to set us straight on our Boba Fett issues every so often, i'll be happy :D

Okay, I'm going to admit it, I've got a love for the both of ya's. Australia is totally sweet. I could annoy you to death with Australia questions. I always wondered if you guys got annoyed when penal colony talk came up. Anyway, Australia does pretty much top my list of foreign countries to visit (and you're a continent, too. At the same time! That's pretty cool, too. Am I easily astonished? At times, yes.)

Forecfire, you have successfully toed the line ;) I'm always happy to talk my country up a bit, even if it means penal colony talk! hehe. But actually, by contrast to the USA, Australia's history and stuff is quite boring. No wars here. Just lots and lots of talking. And a bit (read: a myriad) of robbery.

To be fair to NZ: they...have Peter Jackson?

:p

I'll be back later to comment constructively on the Seedy Side, and I'll leave all this RL stuff at the door, I promise! [face_blush]

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What an interesting thread! What have I been missing? I see I have some catch up to do!

17. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    Pulsarskate, glad to have you around So far, us aussies outnumber the kiwis 2 to 0. *sigh*. We beat them at so many things it's almost boring

[face_laugh]

Those poor Kiwis. :p Okay, Now I really have to know - why are they 'Kiwis'? That's not as obvious a nickname as Aussie is. ;) I'm inclined to assume that kiwi fruits come from New Zealand. Either that's really dumb, or I'm the last to know an obvious fact - neither of which would surprise me. o_O But I mean to rectify my ignorance, mainly by pestering you with questions. :p

Haha, when he/she does, they can expect to counter light resistance I dont really hate NZ. I mean, without NZ Australia would never be able to claim that Russel Crowe and Mel Gibson are ours! hehehe.

*laughs!* I still can't believe that all this time I thought you were the same country. :oops: I mean, when I heard that Temuera was from New Zealand, I was like, "Oooh - like Hugh Jackman! I love Australian men!" *ducks head, quite ashamed of herself*

Best of luck with your new job, Fate! It's a shame that you'll be around less, but the Real World needs you more than we do

*grins* Thanks! :D And thank you, I think - RL may need me, but I want to be needed here, too. [face_batting]

As long as you're about to set us straight on our Boba Fett issues every so often, i'll be happy

'Sullivan, you have definitely got to check out that article. It's like the Cliff Note's version of the Fett saga. [face_mischief]

But actually, by contrast to the USA, Australia's history and stuff is quite boring. No wars here. Just lots and lots of talking. And a bit (read: a myriad) of robbery.

And pirates. [face_devil] We mustn't forget the pirates. [face_blush]

To be fair to NZ: they...have Peter Jackson?

*laughs!* I think they've mixed emotions on that one. [face_mischief]

I'll be back later to comment constructively on the Seedy Side, and I'll leave all this RL stuff at the door, I promise!

* sternly* See that you do. [face_devil] *laughs* Kidding, of course - actually, thanks for bringing this topic up; any topic even remotely connected with pirates is totally welcome here, and... well, Australia rules.

Both of them. :p

What an interesting thread! What have I been missing? I see I have some catch up to do!

*grins widely* Kimberley! [face_love] Welcome, and I hope to see more of you around. [face_mischief]

18. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    Third Update

Back once again, this time with one new update. ;) Again, we're welcoming the work of a new author to the index, namely, that of Lady_Banshee. [face_mischief] Hers is a unique take on what drove Jango to offer his services as the template for the clone army. Naturally, it was more than the credits - but we all knew that. [face_devil]

Title: The Cloned Son

Timeline: Around the time Jango was approached and asked to become a template for the clone army.

Genre: Angst, Adventure

Main Characters: Jango Fett, Taun We

Summary: The events that motivated Jango to become the template for the clone army.

In addition, I have a few things to discuss with you guys. ;) First of all, you may have wondered what's up with the colored links. If you haven't, I'll tell you, anyway. :p The red links are new stories - I've helped with the "New!" labels as well, and also so I got to add something else in the coordinating color. I'm such a girl. :p

Anyway, with this update, I've changed certain other links. Authors with more than one fic in the index will have the links to all the fics after their first one colored to match their section. I thought it'd be a good way to keep people from getting lost, and also, it gave me something else to color. :p So that's that.

And again, I've been wandering about the other indices, checking out what they're doing, seeing what works, and what doesn't work. In one of my forays, I noticed that every index seems to have developed a corresponding challenge thread in the appropriate section. So now my question for you guys is this: Do you think we need a challenge thread? Because I know I've got tons of challenges running through my head, but I'd planned to post them here. But I'd love to have a special thread for that (read: more buttons :p), so long as I knew that people would participate. From the looks of it, participation around here isn't going to be a problem, but I want to check anyway. This is your thread, too, and I'm not going to just go off and do something without input.

Except for buttons. One more addition to the thread, and I get to add two more bright, shiny, buttons. :x

Fate's getting carried away. :p

And another thing - would you like to see links to fan art in this thread as well? If so, let me know.

And once again, I'm sending out the call - if any of you come across something you feel qualifies for a place in the underworld, please PM me with the particulars. I happen to know for a fact that there's a fic out there about Elan Sleazebaggano, and what happens when he decides to become a Jedi. If anyone has the link to that, send it over, please. ;)

That's all for now. [face_cool]

[hl=pink][color=red][b]For freedom. For justice. Viva la Rebellion.[/b][/color][/hl]

19. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Hi everyone! I was invited over here by Fate. Apparently, I am a shady charcter! :D Very interesting thread, btw.

My name is Erica, and I am lucky enough to work at home. Which leaves way too much time to visit these boards.

20. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    *grins* You came! Awesome. [face_mischief]

Apparently, I am a shady charcter! Very interesting thread, btw.

*beams* Thanks! And aren't we all. [face_devil]

My name is Erica, and I am lucky enough to work at home. Which leaves way too much time to visit these boards.

*laughs!* Oh, I have the same problem, but my reasons stem from an erratic work schedule and too much time during the day. :p

And may I be the first to officially welcome you; thanks for coming over! [face_love]

21. Forcefire

Jul 17, 2000
    You're doing a bang-up job with the index, Fate. Far better than what I could accomplish, that's for sure.

A corresponding thread, you say? Interesting thought. I am of two minds on this in a way. It could serve to streamline the thread and prevent clutter, if that is a problem with combining discussion and challenges (this is my first thread of this nature).

The question is, how would it work? The tales of the rogue are not limited to a certain era, as is made quite clear by our discussion so far, so we're not looking at one thread in The Saga or something like that. You could post individual challenge threads and link 'em up here, but that's a whole lot more work for you, and you've got a lot on your plate all ready. There could be one thread for it here in Resource land. Or we could just keep it in The Seedy Side. I don't know.

And I am officially no help.

Lukestheman, welcome to the thread. Sit back, relax, and enjoy.

22. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    *muses* What if I created one thread in the WR, then linked all the individual stories back to it? Then it'd be like an index of Underworld challenges... and I'd get to make more buttons. [face_batting]

But everybody seems to be posting a thread in each time period. [face_thinking]

Since most of us are from TheSaga, I'm really inclined to make one challenge thread there, just so the stories stay together and don't get scattered. On the other hand, if they were individually linked back, we could comment on them one at a time.

*cradles head* This is hard. :p Maybe 'Sullivan'll know what to do - he's bound to show up eventually. ;)

23. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    GAH! What happened here? It was so quiet I thought I?d killed it, then BOOM! I?m way behind! So please tolerate the length of this post. OK, I?ll attempt to add my two cents about some things.

Well, it looks like procrastinating paid off and my story?s already in the index at no work of my own. Seriously, thanks, Fate.

I?ll address a few of your comments on my OC bounty hunter Tlach.

Good lord! This man is not one to be crossed.

It seems like a lot, but 4 out of 7 are part of his suit, appearing only when needed (which makes for a nice reveal just when you think the heroes have escaped him). That leaves two guns and a detonator to carry around, but he?s still not to be crossed.

I got a little carried away thinking about bio potentials, but I had too much fun making Tlach?s and I? just? couldn?t? stop? Luckily, I?ve quarantined them to my brain and everybody else is spared.

I like your Fett to quicksand analogy. Sounds like fodder for a good title if anybody?s in need of one.

Also, cool buttons. I?m sure the ones with the ?nervous tic? are still healthier than the Japanese Seizure Robots (this is an actual site, but I dare not visit it).

Mjsullivan: Hey mjsullivan! (Ah now I feel like this is a meeting of Seedy Siders Anonymous?)

Perhaps now, with our combined strength, we can END this destructive conflict, and RULE the galaxy as...

When do we start? :p

WanderingJedi: A game novelization fic? Either I?m just ignorant, or this is a neat, original idea. The fact that it?s ?Dark Forces? doesn?t hurt either. Many an hour spent in that game. But I could never? quite? get? to? Fett? [face_frustrated] Oh well, I got my revenge in Jedi Academy.

PulsarSkate: I like the username reference, ?Skate ? gotta love the whole Terrik family. I?ll add my vote to the ?afraid of Zeb? hat.

VaderLVR64: Good to see you! Welcome to the Seedy Side (gosh that sounds cool).

I think I?m going to try to stay out of the Australia/New Zealand thing, except to say that the kiwi term comes from the kiwi bird, indigenous to NZ. It?s like, their mascot or something. A rather strange thing, to be so proud of a flightless bird. I mean, nobody calls Americans Eagles or Canadians Leaves (what?s up with that? It?s not a symbol of power, it?s tree debris). Note: This paragraph is meant entirely in jest, except the real factoids about kiwi birds. They?re true as Bill Nye the Science Guy.

As for interviews, I loved your Jango exclusive, Fate. It was Jango all around ? even refusing some questions and saying little more than what is necessary. Forcefire is probably correct about Remy. I might interview him just to find out. Or maybe someone else. I?ll come up with something (and now a qualifier to cover myself if I don?t) maybe.

Fate again: I really need to check that story out. ;)

Come on in whenever you?ve got time. Any and every reader is welcome! (gets off hands and knees and brushes self off) I mean, not that I?m begging. Ahem. (runs away)

(runs back in) Also, hello to LukestheMan - Hope you like it here; and I?m no help with the challenge problem. (runs away once more)

24. Forcefire

Jul 17, 2000
    Fate: interesting thought about the index of links. But should it be in here or its own thread? Having writers post links here fuels discussion, and makes more sense to people who are new to the group, I think. Then again, that means no real index, and thus no buttons for you to make. Unless we additionally PM links to you to put on the front page in a challenge section of the index, which might actually mean extra buttons, if you see fit.

[McManus]I'm just talkin' here.[/McManus] (That's from The Usual Suspects, a great underworld movie in its own right; it's in my top 5.)

The_Face: If you do one, do Remy, definately. Or Remy and Jav, just for good banter.

25. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    *seethes* Okay, now I'm beyond infuriated. :mad: This idiotic computer has killed my reply post, not once, but twice. Twice! :mad:

So I'm going to have to do it all over again. [face_frustrated]

The_Face:

GAH! What happened here? It was so quiet I thought I?d killed it, then BOOM! I?m way behind!

[face_laugh]

Yeah, it was pretty quiet for a while, and then Fate decided to stop being lazy and start taking charge of her own index. [face_frustrated]

It was bad at first, but from now on, I promise to be good; relatively speaking, anyway. [face_devil]

So please tolerate the length of this post.

*grins* Don?t worry ? I adore long posts. ;)

Well, it looks like procrastinating paid off and my story?s already in the index at no work of my own. Seriously, thanks, Fate.

No problem. :cool: Thank you for helping me with the story?s information.

It seems like a lot, but 4 out of 7 are part of his suit, appearing only when needed (which makes for a nice reveal just when you think the heroes have escaped him). That leaves two guns and a detonator to carry around, but he?s still not to be crossed.

*shivers* Wow, he sounds incredible. ;) But I?m a little confused. You said that four were in his suit, so doesn?t that mean they?d always be with him? I?m probably just being dense, but? :p

I got a little carried away thinking about bio potentials, but I had too much fun making Tlach?s and I? just? couldn?t? stop?

*laughs!* Trust me, I totally know the feeling. :p

Luckily, I?ve quarantined them to my brain and everybody else is spared.

*grins* Oh, no, you don?t. ;) Out with ?em, ye scurvy knave. [face_devil]

I like your Fett to quicksand analogy. Sounds like fodder for a good title if anybody?s in need of one.

*smirks* Hold that thought. [face_mischief]

Also, cool buttons.

*beams* Thank you. [face_love] I had a lot of fun making them.

I?m sure the ones with the ?nervous tic? are still healthier than the Japanese Seizure Robots (this is an actual site, but I dare not visit it).

A few years back, I downloaded this game called ?Tetripz?. It was? odd. Basically, it showed you what it?d be like to play Tetris under the influence of different drugs. It had caffeine, pot, LSD, cocaine, and a couple others. I tried to play it, but it was entirely too trippy, and I deleted it.

Mjsullivan: Hey mjsullivan! (Ah now I feel like this is a meeting of Seedy Siders Anonymous?)

*grins* Yeah, except that we don?t have to give up anything, because the very things that others try to overcome are what make us so ?seedy?. So ?you might say we?re encouraged to sin?. [face_devil]

When do we start?

*smirks* We already are, of course. Always have. [face_devil]

VaderLVR64: Good to see you! Welcome to the Seedy Side (gosh that sounds cool).

*beams* Doesn?t it, though? [face_mischief]

I think I?m going to try to stay out of the Australia/New Zealand thing, except to say that the kiwi term comes from the kiwi bird, indigenous to NZ.

Ah, so that?s what it is. I knew it wasn?t the fruit. [face_frustrated]

It?s like, their mascot or something. A rather strange thing, to be so proud of a flightless bird.

*grins* Well, maybe it?s an adorable flightless bird, one so saucily wicked, it has no need to fly. ;)

I mean, nobody calls Americans Eagles or Canadians Leaves (what?s up with that? It?s not a symbol of power, it?s tree debris). Note: This paragraph is meant entirely in jest, except the real factoids about kiwi birds. They?re true as Bill Nye the Scien

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.