main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Senate is splitting off

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by SuperWatto, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The Senate will be splitting off to have its own spot in Community on August 1st. Where under 'JC Community' there was originally just 'Community', with the subforums JCC, Senate, Amphitheatre, Arena, Census, and Games, there will now be 'Community' and 'The Senate Floor'. The rest of the subforums will stay under 'JC Community'.

Why the split? After much deliberation, that started even before the move of the boards - both in public as well as in mod squad - we realized that the tempo and the culture of the Senate is just too different to properly blend in with the rest of the forums. The way it's set up now, it's easy for people to miss the Senate tag, while the rules of the Senate are very different from the rules of the other boards. It becomes a mess too often.

We hope to see people still coming in to share their thoughts and opinions... This way, the two tempos of the Senate and the other forums aren't competing, as neither is better - they're just different.

The newly installed forum will go live on August 1st. All old Senate threads will be moved there at that date. It will be hosted by DarthBoba and yours truly; after 4.5 years of honest work, Lowbacca_1977 is passing on the torch. I'd like to thank him for his excellent modding, without which I might never have become a Senate regular in the first place. Thanks Lowie, I promise we'll keep the spirit alive!

Thread closed - discussion continues in this Comms thread.

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Goodbye :)

Sebulba-X likes this.
  3. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Sad to see you go, Lowie.

Have a valedictory meat pie.

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Good riddance

6. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Take care, Lowie!

7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Could you be so kind as to take Ender Sai with you when you go?

8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    can't say i'm a fan of this decision but hey ho

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Good idea. I'm sure you're tired of editing people's YJCC style posts with "this is a Senate-tagged thread".

And now I can be lazy and not check tags before I post.

Thanks for all your hard work Lowbacca.

10. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Boo for Lowie retiring. :( I hope he's still sticking around to post at least.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    That's a lot of time served. Congrats Low! It was a pleasure modding with you.

DarthBoba likes this.
  12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    For the record, it's been an unanimous decision. We are completely sure it's going to be for the best.

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm glad I got my awesome parody thread in before this move.

14. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
  15. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
  16. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    [​IMG]

17. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Eh . . . a bid for growth in two different communities ends in failure. I shouldn't be surprised and I'm not; but I am disappointed.

"It becomes a mess too often." Better a mess than sterility, but apparently most others disagree.

KnightWriter likes this.
  19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    As someone who has been a long time poster in both communities, I don't really see how there was a "mess" to begin with. While the Senate saw casual posts more frequently, these manifestly did not choke out people's serious discussions. That pattern should have been historically evident from "serious" JCC threads. Alternatively, though, look at how often long-winded, serious discussions re-emerged in the recent Trayvon Martin thread despite repeated short derailments, or how there's a running discussion about the nature of political legitimacy in a thread about a baby being born. When people want to talk to each other about a topic, they will do so. They don't run away because someone dared to make a joke.

But, as Rogue1.5 said, if the involved parties view this as too Draconian a cost, I guess there's nothing to be said. Leave, then.

20. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I'm not surprised you're branching this forum off. I knew it was just a matter of time.

21. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Correction: branching off again.

22. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    What wocky said. I really fail to see how the rules in the Senate are so drastically different. Serious topics will lend themselves to more serious, god forbid longer winded posts no matter what tag is used or which forum it's in. All I can see as a result of this is reduced Senate posting. How is that a good thing?

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    As long as no one in the JCC is redirected to the Senate, I don't care.

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    As I said elsewhere, this is stupid, but it doesn't really matter.

With a bit of intelligent moderation, it would be entirely unnecessary. That's what it is regardless, but so be it. The Senate will have nothing more than a few threads with lengthy posts that only a handful of people have any interest in reading, let alone responding to.

25. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    There's a grand total of 12 Senate threads that have had any activity whatsoever in the last week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.