main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Senate is splitting off

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by SuperWatto, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I?!

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    D+ effort... horribly subpar trolling attempt. Snowball is rolling over in his grave and flashing you a decomposed Goatse.

DarthTunick likes this.
  3. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i have no idea who snowball is except that he's dead and probably very unfunny given the crowd that idolizes him

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Catastrophic failure.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I thought it was dead on.

Ahem. Sorry.

SuperWatto likes this.
  6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    epic [face_griffz]

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You're blinded by manlove.

Blithe likes this.
  8. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    sounds like my prom night

harpua likes this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    blinded by the light! WRAPPED UP, LIKEADOUCHE, ANOTHER RUNNER IN THE NIGHT

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Better than my prom night.

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    was your promnight a nullset? (full disclosure: mine was)

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Yes, yes it was.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "Revved up like a Deuce." As in, Ford Model B. Do you even Springsteen?

15. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Um that is a very common mondegreen that I assume was intentional.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    THERE'S A BATHROOM ON THE 'SCUSE ME WHILE I KISS THIS GUY

EDIT: And the Springsteen lyrics are "cut loose like a deuce." Manfred Mann caused the mondegreen with his (I assume drunken) slurring on the more-famous cover version.

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    MILK CHOCOLATE FROM DDDOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Gah, this is what I get for not listening to Greetings from Asbury Park in months. :oops:

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Don't bring me down, Bruce!

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    LOUIS LOUIS AHHHWAHHAHDDAAANFWKLRW{EP!@WEJFLSLAA:ADD A LOUIS LOUIS

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  22. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I would have given my thoughts on this earlier, but when this thread was posted, I had just barely arrived in a tropical paradise and spent my time enjoying the sun, sand, and waves instead of getting online. (Seriously, I limited myself to checking my work email once a day to address any issues that came up, and that was it.)

Personally, I think that this is a good idea, largely for reasons already given by Lowie and 44. The Senate is, and always has been, a separate sort of character than the JCC. What initially attracted me to the Senate was the fact that it allowed serious discussion of issues that elsewhere I had always seen degenerate into nothing more than insults. And it did it while not just encouraging, but demanding a higher level of respect for others' opinions. That simply doesn't exist in the JCC, because the JCC has a very different focus.

For example, look at the Trayvon Martin thread in JCC. There have been several times that the JCC style of that thread has encouraged me to simply drop it, largely because several users would respond with insults or insinuations about me rather than focusing on the topic and the content of the actual posts. To me, that's very off-putting when I'm discussing a serious topic. I prefer to be able to discuss the specifics better, because listening to alternate viewpoints helps me to identify where the weaknesses in my own views are, and helps me to address them. I don't want to have to sift through the drive-by posts in order to get to that.

For all the talk about reduced traffic, the Senate has never been about traffic. Yes, there has been an increase in traffic to Senate threads, but much of that increase has not been of a traditional Senate character. It's largely been of a JCC character. As a result, the Senate in its merged state has only gained the appearance of an increase.

The Senate lived quite happily alongside the JCC for years. It has always had a different character that appeals to different people. Insisting that it must conform to a standard that has been imposed on it by the JCC rather than allowing it to evolve in its own direction is a mistake. The best way to allow for that evolution is to make it separate, and give it the space it needs to develop on its own.

I also think that many people here are forgetting some of the technical advantages we gained with the new software. One of the biggest advantages is the alerts system that actually works. I mostly read the Senate only by using the sub-forum. Every few days, I'll pop into the JCC sub-forum and scan over the threads to see if there's one that catches my eye. When I find one like that, I'll tend to add it to my watch list, and then I get alerts whenever someone posts to it. That allows me to track the threads that I am interested in even when I don't usually check on the forum directly. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've gone just into the Community forum without any filtering (and most of those were on my tablet, where it didn't let me get to the sub forums directly).

Fire_Ice_Death likes this.
  23. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    The people belly-aching over the daunting task of having to click allllll the way of 1 inch, I'd like to kindly direct you all to why this split is necessary in the first place by looking at the last bit of conversation before Kimball posted. That's really all of the evidence you need for why a split must occur. Oh, I know, you're just having 'fun' by derailing a thread, bashing its userbase and its moderators, but you all have made excellent cases for why the JCC, in my opinion, is an albatross for the Senate. So thank you. [:D] Thank you all for your off-topic discussion. [face_love] I love you all and your random thread-*****ing. [face_batting]

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    More like fountain penis, right?

DarthTunick likes this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Brought to you by Budweiser

Available from any state-licensed liquor retailer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.