main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Senate is splitting off

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by SuperWatto, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think at least part of the point that wocky is making is that if the senate is split off the senate regulars will likely stay there and no longer contribute to more serious jcc discussions. since that's pretty much how it was before, it does seem likely.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    epic - The point is having debate-oriented threads more strictly moderated, more than normal JCC threads are. And yes, that's going to be a niche forum by default: I myself do post in serious JCC threads but would never post in the Senate under their stricter ruleset because it's not my thing.

tom - I know, and that's precisely what hurts me the most. Don't forget that I was one of the main munchkins behind the merge.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  3. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i've posted in many senate threads which aren't "debate-orientated"; they're just threads where more serious discussions occur. sure, some may end up being debatey in nature, but it's by no means guarenteed, and it's also not to say debates can't and won't occur in jcc threads.

i think this decision has been made in terms of perception rather than actuality.

out of interest, how many mods voted to separate the Senate?

4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    guys maybe the mods aren't interested the community feedback because we're expressing our opinions like jcc people and not senate people. NEED MORE PARAGRAPHS

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001

Well, that's bullshinto. I brought this topic up months ago and the mods were so on the fence and against the separation that the fence was lodged in their anus.

6. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Sometimes I feel like people will oppose things for the sake of it.

While I'm fully behind moving these threads to a place I don't have to look at them, I don't see how it makes a difference either way--yet another non-issue for posters to get worked up about and moderators to pat themselves on the back for what an innovative, forward thinking bunch they are.

Who cares? Stay, don't stay. It's one click over, for Pete's sake. Please take a step bak an gain some perspective on how incredibly insignificant this announcement is--even in relation to these forums.

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

at the end of the day, juliet, i am a practical man. if my goals can be accomplished without the utter annihilation of my enemies, and merely their public failure and humiliation, well, then, all the better that they're still around to have their shortcomings rubbed in their faces a little longer

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You're moving the Senate?

[​IMG]

It's treason then.

heels1785 likes this.
  9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    What a bloody awful film that was.

yankee8255, Debo, Darth Guy and 3 others like this.
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Stop posting controversial opinions. Those are for the Senate now.

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Milquetoast posts only, please.

Debo and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  12. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001

Ah, if I want that I just go the JCC. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I mean if I wanted a discussion that drifts from stupid to mentally disabled to just stupid, then I go to the JCC. But I hardly go here (JCF) anymore sooo...cheers. [face_coffee]

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    POPCORN TIME

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.

DarthLowBudget likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    This.

I think this is a poor decision.

KnightWriter likes this.
  16. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Not to engage in user-modding, but I'd like to point out that this thread is senate-tagged, and thus much of the discussion that has occurred within it is not up to an appropriate level of discussion.

17. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Senate people can still post in senate threads and they still will. That won't decrease your postings. It also won't increase it. *For the most part* the people posting in those threads haven't changed. I honestly don't see the move negatively affecting the Senate in any way. As far as bettering the senate, which seems to be the only main concern of people - just increasing the posts.... honest to god I don't think anyone besides the people already posting in Senate care about the wellfare of that forum at all. You guys are pretty much on your own. This whole concept should give you a pretty good start to a new Senate thread to debate about, which should increase your activity. So maybeeeeee this is a good thing? Eh? EHHH?

Also the discussion has been going on in Comms for a while now and I really don't see anyone defending keeping the 2 forums together who is giving an actually good reason why besides the overly worded points that water down to "your modding sucks" "this is bad leadership" and "moving it is stupid". Those aren't really actual reasons to justify any point. If there were more real reasons given, without ignoring the facts of the countering ones (considering that traffic has already been addressed), then maybe there would have been more of a controversy over the split.

Point Given and CT-867-5309 like this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I would neither expect nor ask that. But I find it incredibly specious for you to claim that your tried to look diligently into community impact by doing nothing more than asking two people their opinion. There are enormously better ways to collect substantive input, as you well know because you actually did those things when first considering how to handle the forums post-transition.

What has in fact happened here is that unlike before, you came to a conclusion by excluding the opinion of the affected users. Users who, it seems, disagree pretty heartily with the decision. You have a right to do that, but let's be clear about what's happening.

Why do you keep emphasizing this? Do you really think the response would be different given some other vote margin? We're objecting because the decision, in its substance, seems stupid. The fact that you got everyone to do something stupid together doesn't change that.

You left an open thread for feedback. We're offering it. Usually, decisions taken without an clear rationale have some provided or explained to the user base. Here, we haven't gotten much beyond "Superwatto and Lowbacca want it this way." If you guys had extensive, exhaustive discussion that covered all these points, can you offer anything more substantive than this? That would potentially spur some re-evaluation (certainly from me). Otherwise, though, I would continue to respond that both the outcome and process of this decision was markedly poor.

19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Look guys, I've been racking my brain over this for half a year. There are pros and cons both to staying and going. The idea of the move is older than my modship, and it has already been discussed to death among users. With no consensus. It has been discussed to death in MS. With no consensus. Only when a vote was finally organized in MS last week, it turned out there were no votes against it.

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm finding this all of this to be a bit humorous... so what if The Senate is its own forum again? BFD... as EF pointed out, it's only a click away. And if some folks still want a serious tinge in some Community threads, why would we need Senate users for that? You can't do that yourselves?

21. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    on the contrary, there appears to be quite a large concensus against splitting.

i daresay there wouldn't have been any votes against keeping the forums together, if that was how the vote had of been phrased.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't care much either, but a wider array of opinions does make for better discussion, tunes. don't be so thick. ​

23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Everybody knows the senate was at its peak when it was my own private doomsday blog

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm going to point out that serious threads will still be permitted in Community just as they were in the JCC of old, except without the Senate posting guidelines in place. Everyone is free to continue posting stuff here as always -- I for one am not going to be going over to the Senate.

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    uh, that wasn't my point but in the jcc of old people were redirected to the senate all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.