main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (or Beatles) thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Grand_Admiral_Grant, Sep 17, 2006.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Happy 50th "Revolver"

2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    My favourite ever album :)

3. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Though my favorite Beatles album is either Rubber Soul or Abbey Road, depending on my mood, Revolver probably is their greatest artistic achievement. It's microcosm Beatles: the singalong novelty song, the classic romantic Paul ballad, John's typical blend of the cynical and the dreamlike, George's moody musings (and sitar).

Paul's contributions seem to come from a variety of composers: the bleak "author" song "Eleanor Rigby", the sighing resignation of "For No One", the crazy tape loops and sound effects in "Tomorrow Never Knows", sunny optimism in "Good Day Sunshine", there's Motown, The Beach Boys, a children's song--all together on one album. It's a hotchpotch of styles, though unlike the White Album, the album's not known for that, for some reason. (Then again, people think Prince debuted with Purple Rain.)

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Beatles Yellow Submarine minifigs leaked. They're all fairly true to the cartoon. Most will be fine for Beatles customs, though John's mouth is terrible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ Hahaha,,, Nowhere Man is adorable. :)

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    He's a person and his name is Jeremy!

7. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
  8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    He is the walrus.

jp-30 likes this.
  10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    No, the walrus was Paul.

jp-30, tom and Dagobahsystem like this.
  11. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Looking through a glass onion...

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Juliet316 and Debo like this.
  13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    We watched "Eight Days a Week" yesterday. It's very good. Loved the different song takes from the recording. It was fascinating, hearing the unfinished product. :)

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    So, this thread was named after an album that just turned 50 and has been remastered, expanded and re-released. Any good (the remaster, I'm familiar with the album)?

15. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I don't see the need to pick it up as I own two copies of the album along with Anthology 2 which has enough demos from that album for me. I even have the documentary series so I doubt the visual component of the super deluxe versions will have anything for me.

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  17. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    It's good. Loud as hell but very clear and detailed.

tom likes this.
  18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The new mix is stunningly good. Most of it sounds as if it was recorded recently. Clear as a bell and yes, very detailed. The new stereo mix is absolutely and exactly what they should do with every album now. A few highlights:

- The kick drums and Paul's bass are gloriously rich and deep, sounding very real. I swear your can hear Paul's fingers on the bass strings.
    - Many of George's guitar solos and fills are just raw and powerful as hell. The Sgt Pepper intro guitar almost rips your head off, it's so raw and distorted. Fixing a Hole was impressive as well.
    - The strings on She's Leaving Home sound like they were recorded last week, so rich and warm and real.
    - Being For the Benefit of Mr Kite is so beautiful, layered and gorgeous I almost cried
    - The woodwinds on When I'm Sixty-Four as also rich and detailed, sounding freshly recorded.
    - I swear A Day in the Life is totally perfect in every way. Again, the clarity and detail are stunning.

I also got the new 5.1 surround mix in high resolution on Blu Ray. The 5.1 mix is staggering as well. Really fits the content. Just like I felt when I first heard Dark Side of the Moon in surround, this album just shines in audio delight all around you. It truly seems as if the Beatles and George Martin themselves architected the sound to be quadrophonic in nature. On a good system, it's a completely fulfilling experience.

19. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I've been listening to Pepper's for almost 40 years, and I haven't got the new box yet-I just listened to it on Spotify and even in just that quality, it was almost like hearing it for the first time. I never knew how much a lot of it rocked, and I'm sure I've listened to it thousands of times.

Planning on picking it up next week, can't wait. Between this is the Steven Wilson mix of Yes' albums, I really need a better sound system.

tom likes this.
  20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's pretty incredible on my home theater system, for sure. Today I am driving somewhere far, so I am gonna listen to the new stereo mix in my car. Should sound great cranked up loud!

tom likes this.
  21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i wasn't going to get this but you guys convinced me. thank you! i guess i couldn't imagine much of an improvement to the original mix, but this is kind of a revelation. i need to go back and listen to the original vinyl and compare, just for fun. as good as this is, i do feel like probably a bit of subtlety is lost when everything is brought to the front the way it is. sounds great though.

jp-30 likes this.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I own the previous remaster (I want to say it was back around 2010 or something). Well, I own the box set from back then which has the remastered versions of all the albums. Anyway, I have always thought that set had superlative sound and also kept some of the depth that a lot of remasters lose when they just mix everything way up. Point is I've been and still basically am totally satisfied with the Pepper that I own. It sounds great and anyway Pepper isn't even close to my favorite Beatles album. But God knows I'll probably get this new one. I was probably going to do so anyway because I'm always chasing the perfect version of an artwork, but after the comments you guys have made, I'll definitely have to pick it up.

23. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    I just picked up Sgt Pepper Super Deluxe edition, and was listening through the various recordings, but haven't checked the 2017 mix yet because I too have the 2009 remasters and the Mono Remastered vinyl. Now that I've read some of these reviews, I've got to pop in that first disk and give it a listen!

This album is my favorite of all time, and I'm so happy to hear the US Promo mix of Penny Lane. That said, some of the takes are basically the same as the Anthology versions, but I always liked Take 8 of Good Morning, Good Morning more before they added what gave the song its title...

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Remastering was a joke. Sure they did a good job with those remasters and they sounded better than the CD masters from the 1980s, but we already had the Yellow Submarine Songtrack songs from 1997 that had been fully remixed and made to sound more natural and clean. We knew exactly what quality could be gotten by going back and remixing the music. To me those remasters never sounded anywhere near as good as those Yellow Submarine remixed tracks, so I refused to rebuy ALL of the Beatles music to get those remasters. I will rebuy them all to get remixed albums, especially if they sound as good as Sgt Pepper does.

25. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    PBS programming note for those in the U.S.:

http://www.pbs.org/program/sgt-peppers-musical-revolution/

"Sgt. Pepper's Musical Revolution" premieres
    Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 8/7c.

Hosted by British composer and television presenter Howard Goodall, "Sgt. Pepper’s Musical Revolution" uses visually striking elements to conjure up the psychedelic world of "Sgt. Pepper," provide context for the culture of the day, and show how the album was a driving force within that culture. It also highlights how contemporary projects, like Beyonce’s “Lemonade," would be unthinkable today had The Beatles not completely upended the whole concept of what an album should be. And for the Beatles fan in all of us, the show reveals material that has been squirreled away for decades, known only to a handful of people at Abbey Road Studios, including recordings of studio chat, and isolated instrument tracks and vocals.

Juliet316 likes this.