main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Amph The Simpsons

Discussion in 'Community' started by Baron-Noir, Apr 1, 2005.

1. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I loved the Simpsons,but the newer seasons have left me cold. I prefer Family Guy and Futurama more,nowadays.

2. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Hell yeah! How could you forget such awesome lines as-

Comic Book Guy: "Worst Cosmic wars ever, I'm only going to see it 3 more times........ Today".

That was a spoof for TPM.

3. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Simpsons used to be my favorite show, now it is naught but a treasured memory. However, I must add one of my all time favorite quotes to this thread.

Marge: Bart Where were you?

Bart: I was...I was...I was at the flowershop.

Homer: Oh, uh yeah! Me too! Yep, gettin drunk at the old flowershop.

[hl=black]-P!-[/hl]

4. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    << Comic Book Guy: "Worst Cosmic wars ever, I'm only going to see it 3 more times........ Today". >>

ROFL

I remember that one. Hlarious :D

And it's funny... cause it's true :p

I remember talking to some SW fans who ranted on the film yet saw it at least twice opening day and than several more times in the next couple of weeks :p

5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I know it's wrong to hate a cartoon, but I really do hate the Simpsons. Always have.

On a side note, the woman who does Bart's voice is from my hometown of Dayton, Ohio.

6. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Heh. Tell me about it. *cough*Binary_Sunset*cough*

7. JANGOANTILLES

JANGOANTILLES Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Seasons 1-5 were classic tv but after that the series began a long slow decline. Now its like watching McMurphy after his lobotomy. I just want to smother it and put it out of its misery. More than once I've seen them joke about how they're all out of plots, they're really desperate.

8. Darth_Rogue

Darth_Rogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2003
    This is one of my favorites, from "Marge's Fear of Flying".

Homer: Ever since you've been taking therapy all you can talk about is yourself!

Marge: I just left my first session and I haven't even opened my mouth yet.

Homer: SEE! I just left MY first session and I haven't opened MY mouth yet!

9. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    I agree with a lot of you. That after season #9 the Simpson's started going downhill. But a gem does get through here and there. And I am currently enjoying season "I bent my wookie" #6. And can't wait for #7 this December. And Season #8, possibly, in July of '06.

10. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    The show was good for the first couple seasons, then great for a few seasons, then decent for a few more seasons, but then the last few years have just been sad. If ever a show needed a mercy killing, it's The Simpsons.

11. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I don't love them but then I don't hate them. Homer can get so stupid sometimes its hard to watch. Other times he makes me laugh.

I love the other cartoon series on FOX's sunday night line up. King of the Hill.......King of the Hill doesn't get as much attention as The Simpsons, Family Guy or American Dad but still great IMO.

12. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    like most people said, I used to love the show, but they've passed their peak. Why was Futurama the one that got cancelled? It was still running strong.
    I still watch Simpsons though.
    I'll have to post some fav quotes, I can't help it.

"I've sold monorails to Brokway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and by gum it put them on the map!" *Holds up blank map of USA with the three towns he just said written on in pen*

Marge: "I got this "baby on board" sticker. Maybe now people will stop intentionally ramming our car."

"Krusty doll technician" looking at back of the evil Krusty doll: "Here's your problem. You've got this thing set to evil. *Flicks switch*
    Evil Krusty doll to Homer: I love you!
    [face_laugh]

Bart (to self): "Now, I know Homer won't want to come on this father-son rafting trip. So I'll just ask him, and it'll be his fault."
    Homer (to self): "Now, I know Bart's gonna ask me to go on this rafting trip, so if he asks me... I'll just say yes!
    Homer's brain: "Wait! Are you sure that's how this kind of thing works?"
    Homer: "Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a cue tip."

Homer reads newspaper headline - "Security chief Homer Simpson asleep at post."
    Homer: "I wasn't asleep! I was drunk!"
    lol

Marge: "You're on TV now. It's your job to be repetitive."
    Bart: "My job. My job! Repetitiveness is my job! I'm going to go out there and give the best performance of my life.
    Marge: "The best performance of your life?"
    Bart: "The best performance of my life!"

Lisa at "Malibu Stacey" creators house, talking through comlink at front gate:
    "Excuse me, I've come to talk to you about Malibu Stacey."
    "Do you know just how many girls have tried to track me down?
    "Am I the first?"
    "...Yes"

Homer in Space:
    Homer floats uncontrollably towards the ant colony
    Ant1: Protect the Queen!
    Ant2: Which one's the Queen?
    Ant1: I am!
    Ant2: No you're not!
    *SMASH*
    rofl, priceless stuff

Principal Skinner to class:
    "A certain agitator, lets call her L.Simpson... no wait, that's too obvious. Lets call her Lisa S." Everyone turns and looks at Lisa.

Bart trying to convince Lisa to investigate Flanders house by reading his play:
    Kippers for breakfast Aunt Helga? Is it Saint Swivens day already?"
    "Tiiis" replied Aunt Helga
    Lisa: "Alright, I'm going!"

From the mock "behind the laughter" episode:
    Homer: "The pain was like a drug. But what was more like a drug was the drugs."

When the Flanders adopt the Simpson kids.
    (In the car):
    Maggie: "Daddilly-doodilly" Maggie's head rotates exorcist style to look at Bart and Lisa in the back, who are horrified.

A hippy: "For me... the sixties ended that day. December 31st, 1969."

13. Aumgn

Aumgn Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2004
    The alltime greatest joke was when Homer ate the waffle that he thought was God.

'Now I now I shouldn't eat thee, but (chomp)....mmm, sacrilicious....'

14. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER

NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Yeah I agree. Homer is just TO stupid nowdays. His always been stupid but not to over the top that its not funny. And when they did use a joke with homer that was completly unrealistic and really silly it was still funny but now there just trying to copy the same thing and it doesent work. I still watch it, its late to come to Australia so I sometimes download it.

15. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    There are some good situations but for a few chuckles, most of the show is rather boring. Not worth my time.

16. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Aslo, after season 9... the show should have just been called "The Homer Show".

Because it was just Homer, Homer, Homer, Homer all the damn time.

You know what The Simpons should do to keep it fresh? It would be a bold move, but in my opinion it might give it some energy.

The show has such a vast and amazing cast of characters which are hilarious in their own right. Have episodes in which they can be the central focus and go with it.

Remember when Barney quit drinking? That was a really good episode and it worked and Barney was the central character in that one. Have mor episodes like that.

17. SmoovBillyDee

SmoovBillyDee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    Why was Futurama the one that got cancelled? It was still running strong.

Quite simply, because it WASN'T the Simpsons. Everyone expected Futurama to be the Simpsons II, but that's never what it intended to be. It was funny in its own way.

The Simpsons, on the other hand, has lost all sense of subtlety. The writers don't know how to slip a coy remark in anymore. It all has to be over the top. I miss the days of Conan O'Brian writing for the show...

18. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I still love the Simpsons, but I have to agree with everyone else. The last few years simply haven't been anywhere near as classic or consistent as the early days. Still, there are some great episodes these days, and even the not-so-great ones have some gut-busting moments. But overall, definitely not to par with the old standards.

M. Scott

19. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Well, I wouldn't say Futurama wasn't The Simpsons.

It just got shafted time wise.

I mean, because of FOX Sports, it would either never be shown or start halfway through.

It just never got a chance due to the time slot.

20. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    You know the trick to watching the Simpsons new episodes?

Don't watch em. Rather, don't watch em new.

I can't remember the last time I saw a new episode of the Simpsons. But I used to catch the daily reruns quite regularly.

And you know what? People have been saying that the Simpsons were great but lately have been slipping for years. My theory? The new ones are great, just not right away. It's like a fine wine, it must age.

See, you watch the repeats. But the thing is, you've probably seen most of them. You've seen all the good ones. They don't play the series in any order, so you get old and new. But then you get sick of the old ones cause you've seen em a million times, and they throw on a new one and you're like "oooh, a simpsons episode I've never seen!"

I mean, anyone remember that crazy Christmas episode with Funzo and Arnold from Diff'rent Strokes (Gary Coleman)? That was pretty funny! And it's a "new" one, but I don't know how new.

Anyway, that's how to enjoy the new ones. Watch em on repeats when they become older and you'll think they're better. Then it becomes "oh, I've never seen this one!" instead of "oh, another crappy new episode of the Simpsons."

21. SmoovBillyDee

SmoovBillyDee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    Watch em on repeats when they become older and you'll think they're better

I honestly tried this. My friend suggested it as that's what he did. But I can still honestly say that they aren't nearly as humorous as the older shows. Most end up just annoying me. That's not to say that there aren't funny parts, but the writing has slipped so far that even without the magnifying glass of being a new episode, they're just not up to par with the first seasons.

22. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    I probablly watch Simpsons the most, best and only show I can watch THAT many times over and over . (there are others though of course )

23. Boba_Fett_123

Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    The Simpsons had three or four years where they were the funniest show on television (except Seinfeld). It was the period where they first took the focus off Bart and started focusing more on Homer (but not to the point where they're beating it with a sledgehammer, like now). But with other, funnier shows like Family Guy and Futurama, it's just much easier to see the Simpsons many flaws. The humor isn't nearly as intelligent as it used to be, and it's a shame. I go to Family Guy and Futurama for my laughs now.

As for King of the Hill...[face_sick] I've never really liked it, but I wasn't a fan of Beavis and Butthead either. The only work of Mike Judge's I've ever really liked is Office Space.

24. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    "As for King of the Hill... I've never really liked it, but I wasn't a fan of Beavis and Butthead either. The only work of Mike Judge's I've ever really liked is Office Space."

IMO King of the Hill's style of comedy is very different from the Simpsons or Family Guy. Which is why I feel KOTH isn't as popular as those two shows. But Mike Judge and company must be doing something right for the show to be going on it's 10th season.

25. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Like everyone else said

Seasons 1-9 Great
    Seasons 10 and on not so great buy compared to what's on tv today the Simpsons still has more laughs than say Joey or Will and Grace.