main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Simpsons

Discussion in 'Community' started by Baron-Noir, Apr 1, 2005.

1. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I agree, the mid 90?s were the Simpsons peak. Now it?s hit or miss., mostly hit IMO. There was also a low point when the Simpsons were just ?Homer trying a wacky scheme with guest star?. But even the worst Simpsons episodes are light years ahead of a lot of the other garbage on TV.

I really like episodes that focus on the other characters like Flanders or Apu. These episodes show how much depth these characters can have.

It amazes me though how much clout this show has. Frickin? Prime Minister Tony Blair was on it. And Professor Stephen Hawking, twice!

2. SmoovBillyDee

SmoovBillyDee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    But I think that's what bothers me about the Simpsons now: all the guest stars. It's gotten out of hand. It used to be very sparingly done and made more sense in the context of the story (like Aerosmith at the now-popular Flaming Moe's). The Simpsons has turned into an animated version of Saturday Night Live. Come see what guest hosts next week!

They need to be more focused on writing good stories than writing stories around potential celebrities they want on the show.

3. LordofSith

LordofSith Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    Phil Hartman was murdered???!!!

4. LordofSith

LordofSith Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    Oh, yeah, he was.

5. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I agree that Futurama was sadly overlooked in its time. I watched it here and there when it was on Fox but I truly fell in love with the show as I picked up the DVDs. It definitely wasnt The Simpsons, but then again, it wasnt meant to be. And it was a great show in its own right, too.Ah, well, at least there are rumors that there are a couple of straight to DVD movies in the works.

Oh, in a slightly different vein, from what Ive read this will most likely be King of the Hill's last season. I was never a fan so personally Im indifferent, but I just figured Id mention it for those who are.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    "Futurama" was a great show; but there seems to be a curse on the creator of highly successful shows' second show.

And "King of the Hill" is also wonderful

7. AloneInDecember

AloneInDecember Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2005
    haha, i saw the gay episode, that was the most amazing ever.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I <3 the simspons.

8. AloneInDecember

Oct 31, 2005
    O and the conan show.

its priceless.

9. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    I'm indifferent about The Simpsons. I can watch an episode and enjoy it, but I'm not a regular viewer. The X-Files episode was awesome, though.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    There also seems to a curse on anyone who worked on said show and then tries to create their own show. Like Wienstine, Oakley and Mission Hill. What a tragedy that that show got yanked after only 13 episodes.

11. AloneInDecember

Oct 31, 2005
    anyone like the conan show?

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Didn't see that one...I have't watched the show regularly in a long time. Occasionally I see an episode in passing.

I used to like anything with Sideshow Bob, of course.

13. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I like the Simpsons, but I don't watch it regularly. When I do see it, though, I really like it. It's usually pretty funny.

14. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    a generation gap is starting i've noticed.

most of the kids now like family guy more.

the simpsons will forever be #1 with people in my age group (20s).

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Unlocked and upped by request...

:)

I agree that episode by episode is too much for one host. Maybe you could assign specific seasons to volunteers, should you be able to find some.

16. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    That new movie trailer looks kick ass!

Was so-so on the whole movie idea but now i'am really looking forward to it.

17. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Yea, the new trailer is pretty good.

Im cautiously optimistic, though. Not sure how well The Simpsons will translate on the big screen and in an extended format, but Ive also read that most of the writers from the Golden Age are on board, so it should be pretty funny.

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yeah, which is why I think season by season would be better. Plus, I don't think there would be a lot of discussion on episodes from the first couple seasons seeing as how a casual fan may not have seen them in a long time.

The writing staff for the film is the main reason why I think it'll be great. You've got Matt Groening, James L. Brooks, Al Jean, Ian Maxtone-Graham, George Meyer, David Mirkin, Mike Reiss, Matt Selman, John Swartzwelder, Mike Scully, and Jon Vitti who are the most prolific writers in the show's history. And yeah most of them have been with the show since the beginning but rest assured that the "newer" guys like Matt Selman (who has written the best newer episodes) know what they're doing.

The only people who are missing are Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein but apparently they've been busy with their own projects and they're not really involved with the show anymore.

19. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    I hope the film has a lasting effect on the series IE: if someone dies they are dead. not come back next episode.

And i really wish they would make the cast grow older in an upcoming season. It would make things more interesting.

20. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Simpsons. Best show on tv ever.

Even though recent years the quality has dropped, I still laugh at moments here and there. Really cant say that about any other show.

Hope the movie is good. I'll be there opening night!

21. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    discussing the simpsons is great but i'm not sure i even remember which season was which. there are some episodes that are always being repeated (springfield files anyone?) and some i have never seen or very rarely.

anyway LOVE them to the day that i die. can't go wrong with them, can't explain my love, i just surrendered to their genius some time ago (first episode?) and now i'm deeply and wonderfully attached.

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    They haven't done it for 18 seasons and I think it's safe to say they don't plan on ever doing it. Besides, there's been plenty of future Simpsons episodes.

23. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    If the characters aged in real time we'd have a 28 year old Bart and Homer would be in his late 50's. I don't even want to think what would happen to Mr. Burns and Grandpa.

24. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    I understand all that.

I was talking about something like southpark did - move everyone around and the kids up a year. It justs gives a little more freshness. I dont want the series to finish anytime soon, but i only watch it here and there and i'm one of the biggest fans ever.

25. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Click here for a pretty good interview with Matt Groening.