main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Simpsons

Discussion in 'Community' started by Baron-Noir, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Black-Pearl

Black-Pearl Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2007
    I can't wait for the movie.

I was never an avid fan of the show, but the movie looks hilarious.

[face_laugh]

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    When is the movie out?

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    July 27.

[face_Homer_drool]

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    [image=http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8227/droolinghomerqn9.gif] [image=http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8227/droolinghomerqn9.gif] [image=http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8227/droolinghomerqn9.gif]
    [image=http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8227/droolinghomerqn9.gif] [image=http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8227/droolinghomerqn9.gif] [image=http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8227/droolinghomerqn9.gif]

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Saw the trailer for the movie and thought *it* was brilliant. Dunno about the movie, though.

6. Keijo-Sawyer

Keijo-Sawyer Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2007
    Like it or hate it, The Simpsons is the longest running sitcom and longest running cartoon in America. It's been brilliant and it's been terrible. I don't watch it anymore, but it is notable for at least having such a large influence in the realm of animation. As far as cartoons go, it's simply one of the best. Also, like ER--the older seasons are much better.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Saw the trailer the other day in front of Die Hard 4. Just about blew soda across the theatre at Ralph humming the 20th century fox theme :p

8. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I haven't watched it for about 5 years as well, but I still catch myself relating everyday events to "that time on the Simpsons when..."

I have started to like Family Guy, but I would much rather have a good show like The Simpsons go out with a fizzle 5 years too late, than have something like Futurama where you know they could have done soo much more.

9. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I wonder how much the ratings have dropped in the last 5+ years. I know I loved the show when it started, but I haven't watched it in years.

10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Looks like Illinois and Oregon are neck and neck on the voting for which city should host the Simpsons premiere.

Vote here for your favorite Springfield:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/simpsons-contest.htm

11. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Minimal interest. You can only do some much after 19 seasons.

12. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Since Ive already seen Spidey 3, Die Hard 4 and, after tomorrow, Transformers, The Simpsons movie is the only other flick Im looking forward to this summer.

13. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    I've noticed that my generation is not as on track with Simpson's obvious superiority as we should be. I've had this argument with many more of my friends in my age than older friends.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    When I was in high school everyone, on Monday morning, would be talking about the latest Family Guy.

Me: "So, did anyone watch....The Simpsons?"

*crickets*

:(

15. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Im a 4th grade teacher, and even though the majority of my students watch Family Guy there's also a good percentage that also watch The Simpsons, so it isnt completely forgotten by today's youth. :p

16. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    MSNBC just posted their list of the top 10 favorite episodes:

We ?Simpsons? fans are a nerdy, nerdy, contentious bunch. Getting us all to agree on the best episodes of what was, in its heyday, the smartest and funniest TV show ever broadcast is harder than getting Beatles fans to agree on the best Fab Four album, Woody Allen aficionados to see eye to eye on the Woodman?s best film, or Kurt Vonnegut lovers to concur on the author?s best novel. (?Revolver,? ?Love and Death? and ?Cat?s Cradle,? respectively.) It simply can?t be done.

So of course picking a definitive list of the top 10 ?Simpsons? episodes will elicit howls of outrage from dissenting fellow fans ? ?Worst. List. Ever.? ? and of course they?ll all be on the Internet within minutes, registering their disgust throughout the world. No matter. In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, ?If you agree, signify by getting indignant.?

10. ?The Boy Who Knew Too Much?
    Bart skips school and witnesses the supposed beating of a French waiter by Mayor Quimby?s nephew, Freddy. At the ensuing trial, Bart is the only one who can testify to Freddy Quimby?s innocence.
    Here?s the perfect example of the show?s hilarious randomness: the scene in which Bart reads his father?s mind in the courtroom and hears the Meow Mix catfood theme song: ?Meow, meow, meow, meow ?? And then there?s the moment in which Homer, who has been called to serve on the jury in the case, discovers that if the jury?s deadlocked, they?ll be sequestered in a luxury hotel. He justifies his decision to be the lone dissenting voice by saying, ?I?m only doing what I think is right. I believe Freddy Quimby should walk out of here a free hotel.?

9. ?Bart?s Inner Child?
    Homer brings home a free trampoline, which irks Marge. After Marge realizes she nags too much, she and Homer take the advice of self-help expert Brad Goodman, a ?Ph.D. in pain.? Goodman comes to town for a lecture, and Bart becomes a surprise role model for the town, thanks to his willingness to ?do what I feel like.?
    The episode brilliantly skewers new-agey self-help gurus with Goodman?s ?feel-bad rainbow? and its talk of ?shame spirals? and ?life scripts.? It?s also noteworthy for clever pop-cultural references ? a shot of dozens of kids who have been injured on the trampoline that is straight out of ?Gone With the Wind,? and the Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote-cartoon moment when Homer throws the trampoline off a cliff.

8. ?Homer Loves Flanders?
    Homer becomes friends with Ned Flanders after the latter treats him to the big Springfield vs. Shelbyville football game.
    This one features a classic example of the self-referentiality that made the show so smart. Lisa: ?Don?t worry, Bart. It seems like every week something odd happens to the Simpsons. My advice is to ride it out, make the occasional smart-aleck quip, and by next week, we?ll be back to where we started from, ready for another wacky adventure.? Also, keep an eye out for references to both ?Terminator 2? and ?Vertigo.?

7. ?Secrets of a Successful Marriage?
    Homer teaches an adult education class on how to maintain a successful relationship, revealing secrets of his life with Marge that get him kicked out of the house.
    At some point in the show?s history, the writers hit the perfect tone for Homer: stupid, good-natured and mildly pathetic. This episode showcases all of those qualities, from his conversations with his brain ? Homer: ?All right, Brain, it?s all up to you. If you don?t think of what (to do), we?ll lose Marge forever.? Brain: ?Eat the pudding, eat the pudding, eat the pudding, eat the pudding? ? to his final proclamation that the one thing he can give Marge that no one else can is ?complete and utter dependence.?

6. ?Itchy and Scratchy Land?
    The family heads to Itchy and Scratchy Land, ?the violentest place on Earth,? for their annual vacation, only to be stuck there after dark when the animatronic robots go on a rampage.
    Though the Disney parodies are spot-on, one of the most interesting moments comes when the f

17. ghost_of_a_wookiee

ghost_of_a_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2007
    Yes. I just saw that episode for the first time and I'm positive it's the hardest I've ever laughed watching a Simpsons episode.

When Homer tackled James Blunt and the guards killed him I literally fell over holding my sides with laughter.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that Bond villian boss episode was one of the last really great episodes I remember seeing.

Also the scene where the military is attacking his base (ninja chick minion snapping solider necks with her legs in the background and everything), and Homer has to give his resignation. "The government's breathing down my neck, Homer" "Oh, IRS!" , "Oh, and Homer, if you could kill a few guys on your way out, I'd really appreciate it!".

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    4. ?Deep Space Homer?
    Because of struggling TV ratings for its shuttle launches, NASA decides to send average Joes into space. Homer and Barney compete to be the lucky ?average-naut,? and Homer wins by ?De-fault. The two sweetest words in the English language!?
    The best (and oft-quoted) moment of a great 22 minutes happens during the NASA press conference announcing the new program. Homer is asked by a reporter about the risks of sending civilians into space: ?The only danger is if they send us to that terrible Planet of the Apes. Wait a minute ? Statue of Liberty ? that was our planet! You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to hell!? Pure genius.

lmao...I loved the part in that where Homer is downing potato chips in zero gravity to 2001 music. :p

"Protect the Queen!"

"Who's the Queen?"

"I am!"

"No you're not, I am!"

*CRASH*

"Freedom! Horrible freedom!"

[face_laugh]

20. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    "Oh my God! The 59th street bridge!"
    "Maybe it just collapsed on its own."
    "We can't take that chance."
    "You always say that! I want to take a chance!"

21. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    'King Size Homer' has always been my favorite episode, followed closely by 'Lisa the Vegetarian'.

22. zachharris

zachharris Jedi Knight

May 18, 2004
    Well it seems that the intelligence of a few isnt high enough to understand some "The Simpsons" episodes, however I'm quite sure the movie will appeal to you. I just got back from viewing the movie, and I thought it was glorious...thus it was.

23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'm off to see it on Sunday.

My favourite episode has to be the one with the Radioactive Man movie.

"And remember, that's real sulfuric acid, so be sure to wear your goggles."

"The goggles! They do nothing!"

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Spoilers allowed here? :D

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    So, is it any good?