main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Sith Who Brought Life Day--humor/angst, OC's, Vader, Luke **One Post**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by poor yorick, Jan 1, 2006.

1. full_moon

full_moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2005
    I loved it! I loved your OC, he seemed very real and believeble. I loved Vader and his reaction to the tape! and i loved Lukes message! so cute of him!

2. Jeditheskyisblue

Jeditheskyisblue Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    This was good I really enjoyed it.

3. Binder-lover

Binder-lover Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 3, 2003
    Ophelia, I really think you should submit this to the Fanfiction Archives! ^_^

4. Binder-lover

Dec 3, 2003
    ^_^ Upping so new readers can read this :)

5. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Wow--I didn't expect to see this up again after all this time! And Oh. My. Lord., but I missed a lot of reader replies. :eek:

My apologies--you don't really want to hear the saga of the last several months of my life, but it's been numerous different flavors of employment hell--some of which essentially kept me off the boards for long periods of time.

Can I get away with a group reply just this once--if I promise to be good & watch more carefully in the future?

Thank you all so much--I honestly had no idea that this many people had read this, much less replied to it. [:D]

And thank you for upping it, Binder-lover--that was most kind of you. :) (The plot bunny was hers to begin with, you know--I just found it and thought it was a great idea.)

6. Binder-lover

Dec 3, 2003
    Hey ophelia, I think this would be a great story for the Fanfiction Archive!

7. TigerofRobare

TigerofRobare Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 11, 2006
    Oh man. That was hilarious. I thought that when Vader started moving toward him, Vorgartin was going to scream and try to run out the door.

8. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Pure Star Wars. Pure genius. Pure enjoyment.

Fanfic doesn't get any better than this.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Good god...

Just *WOW*.

I read that is one sitting on the rec of a freind and am very impressed!!!

Well done!

10. musingmiyu

musingmiyu Jedi Master star 1

Aug 5, 2006
    OMGosh.

I love how you took a seemingly ridiculous plot bunny and transform it into something plausible and extremely realistic! I could see this happening between ANH and ESB. <3 <3

Love babbling Luke... <3 I also love how you detailed his test results. (Palpatine, a wookie? xD)

Sheer genius.

11. Binder-lover

Dec 3, 2003
    [face_dancing] Congratulations, Ophelia! This story is more than a year old! Amd it's just as good as I remember it!=D=

12. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Awww . . . thanks for dredging this up from page 943, Binder-lover. :) And thanks to everybody who read & replied while I wasn't watching this thread!

musingmiyu: I'd forgotten about the unfortunate little Naboo/Kashyyyk confusion. Hey, they've both got trees on 'em . . . what else do you expect a guy from the desert to remember?! :p Honestly, I can only imagine how phenomenally boring Palpatine's biography would be, after it had been scrubbed up for the schoolbooks. It wouldn't be as cool as RotS at all.

Breezy & geo3: I'm honored to have you guys show up in my thread, much less say such kind things about the story. [face_blush] Thank you.

TigerofRobare: I'm sure he thought about it. I would have. Shoot, I probably would have done it. :p

13. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Oh, how easy it is to get a digit wrong. I was reading this as a holiday story, which it is, but not noticing that it was '06' not '07'. I need to remember that the next time I write a check.

Anyway, it's just a splendid story with humor and a clever narrator and Luke as the comically rustic farmboy, with the terrifying Dark Lord thrown in. And the last line with it's double meaning about getting family for Life Day....

Anyway, that?s how a Sith brought Life Day that year, or at least one did for my mother and I. Because?apart from the occasional person who wants the name of a Rebel Jedi Death Star destroyer?what most of us want for Life Day is family.

Just brilliant. =D=

14. Beatrice_Otter

Beatrice_Otter Jedi Master

Jun 30, 2006
    I love this story! Is it posted in an archive or on LJ or someplace else?

15. Binder-lover

Dec 3, 2003
    ^ I don't know about that but it's posted right here ;)

16. Xeiah

Xeiah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 5, 2002
    To the tune of what can you get a Wookie for Christmas.

What can you get a Sith lord for life day when he already owns your soul?,
    What can you get a kind of very wheezy kind of scary evil Jedi guy but coal?,
    Well he doesn't need a timex and he doesn't eat from a bowl,
    So what can you get a Sith lord for life day when he already owns your soul,
    You give him Death and total suffering and throw some rebels in a black hole,
    That's what you get a Sith Lord for life day when he already owns your soul
    Yeah, that's what you get a Sith lord for life day when he already owns your soul.

17. Binder-lover

Dec 3, 2003
    Bummping this due to yet another holiday season upon us ^^

18. Binder-lover

Dec 3, 2003
    Congratulations, ophelia! This fanfiction is a year and two days old ^^

I just finished reading it again. I love the part when Aswald felt like banging his head on his desk when he found out that the files were in the records he hadn't bothered to check. That happens to me a lot :p

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  19. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    The query itself was short, of poor visual and audio quality, and incoherent. It showed a sixteen-year-old youth in worn work clothes, who kept fidgeting and trying to flip his shaggy blond hair out of his eyes. He actually, seriously, began the transmission by turning to someone or something out of the holocam?s recording field and asking, ?Is it on?? If only he?d caused hideous distortion by playing around with the holocam?s settings, he could have been a stale joke on a HoloNet serial.

A sound like a droid?s electronic response followed his question, and he said, ?Okay, good.? The boy then turned to the holocam and proceeded to make no sense at all. ?Uh, hello, sir, or sirs, or . . . ma?am,? he began. I was rolling my eyes already. The Emperor officially denied females admission to the armed forces, despite a few high-profile exceptions. Anybody with an ounce of sense would have known that.

The boy continued: ?I?m Luke Skywalker, a student from Anchorhead, Tattooine, in the Outer Rim . . .? Suddenly he looked apologetic and added, ?Well, I?m not actually *in* Anchorhead, it?s just the closest town over, and if you want to send anything to me, it?s got to be there. Actually I live on my aunt and uncle?s moisture farm . . .? Here he went on to describe his experience working with farm equipment. I felt like banging my head against the console. No doubt this was the Academy General Information officer?s reaction too, which was why he sent it out of the institution altogether.

Eventually it seemed to occur to Skywalker that farm machinery had nothing to do with the Imperial Academy, and he interrupted himself to say, ?What I want to be, what I *really* want to be, is a fighter pilot. I can already fly anything. You can ask anybody. My uncle used to have this old Aratech Stinger swoop where one of the ailerons was bent? No matter what you did, it would yaw to the right. I used to be able to do a 360 roll on that through the Needle . . . that?s?that?s this hole in the Dead Man?s Hand Rock Spires. It?s only a couple of meters across, the long way. I?d have to duck pretty low to get through.? His obvious pleasure at the memory turned to chagrin as he added, ?Then my uncle sold the Stinger so I couldn?t do that anymore.?

Why, *why* he thought his domestic squabbles over a broken-down swoop would be of any interest at all to an Academy admissions officer is one of the universe?s great mysteries. However, his rambling was giving me an excellent voice sample to check against the few transmission scraps we had from the Death Star?s destroyer. ?I?I know you only take adults at the Imperial Academy, and that you need your school-leaving certificate to get in, but someone told me you had a Junior Academy where you?d take people who are still in school. I wanted to know, sir?or ma?am?how do you get in there??

That plaintive question was the last of the substantive part of his message, thank the gods. There was, in fact, a Junior Academy, but its class sizes were small and its admissions process extremely selective. As a rule, only the sons of Imperial officers are admitted. I got in due to a combination of outstanding academic marks and the fact that my father was a navy commander who died in the line of duty. Luke Skywalker would have fit in the way a nerf fits into the credit chit slot of a currency-changing machine.

To be honest, at that moment I was hoping that Skywalker?s voiceprint would *not* match that of the ?Luke? whose transmissions we intercepted over Yavin. I just didn?t want to be responsible for showing all that inane, rambling nonsense to Lord Vader. He?d probably strangle me out of sheer annoyance.

Oh Luke! [face_laugh]:_|[face_laugh][:D]=P~ [face_love][face_blush]
    I'm so glad you bumped this up and that I got a chance to read it! :) Utter brilliance!
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  20. darth-1984

darth-1984 Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2007
    I was laughing and crying all at the same time. Well done!

21. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Oh, that was AWESOME!!!!!!!!

22. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Brilliant and beautiful. The often sardonic tone lends subtle humor, yet does not diminish the power or the pathos of what is actually being told.

You are an amazing storyteller!

23. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    I don't know how I've not come across this one before, but it's wonderful. :D I love the characterisations, from the point of view character, to teenage Luke rambling on inanely in his recruitment application, to Vader and his response to the news. And I have to add that the little details - the Imperial education system, the analysis process, historical details - they give an incredible amount of texture to the story and are wonderfully inventive.

Really amazing work. =D=

24. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    yes this definitely deserves to be on page one so more people can enjoy it.

25. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    i love rambling Luke, too