main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Sketchbook of Corellian_Rogue... MWUAHAHA! Just when you thought you'd got rid of me!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Corellian_Rogue, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Great job on all of your drawings, Corellian_Rogue. I especially like the clothing on your ink drawings. You are so good at it. I like how the fabric flows.

Drawing clothing is still driving me crazy. I ordered a couple How-to-Draw-Clothing books from Amazon. I hope to get them soon. It is so hit and miss for me. Whenever I make the clothing look right, it is just plain dumb luck on my part.

Wonderful drawings!!

AG88

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Hi C_R!

I have to say that my favorite 3 of your recent drawings have to be Tenel Ka, Shaak Ti and Boga.

The intricate hairpiece is definitely more befitting our Hapan Queen than for Mara Jade. The sideview profile shot is just lovely. And her hair is amazing!

Shaak Ti - wow there's so much motion in this picture! I love the swirling fabric, the flying dust, etc. She's just stunning.

Boga is drop dead gorgeous. I think the rather sweet expression on the larger shot of her nearly brought tears to my eyes. This piece looks like it should've been a character sketch for LFL with a new character.

You're amazing...as always :)

3. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    "Shaak Ti Kung Fu Grip" is fantastic Corellian_Rogue! It's a really dynamic pose :)

I really like your "Boga" illustration as well. It's a great rendering!

4. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Oh wow! Thanks everyone so much for all the kind words! I feel loved! AWWWWWW! :D

Thanks for stopping by Chilla! :D I had to drudge it up from page 4 so no worries on missing it. :) I've been drawing ages with countless hours of practise so I should probably be better than I am for the time spent but I'm slowly getting to where I want to be gradually. Your work is wonderful and you should be so proud of yourself!

Thank you Mitth Fisto! I appreciate the wonderful words about my work. Better late than never I say. :) And about the hair, I just love drawing bouncy, voluminous hair, I'm terrible with bald characters so I admire you there! Hair can hide a lot of my anatomical faults in my drawing so the longer the better! LOL :D

Thanks bunches Deb! I really should get on to colouring this at some point, I think it'll really bring that extra element to her. I've been experimenting with collaging images and with backgrounds lately and have found some really enjoyable and some not so much. This one was a hoot to do except I was so worried about buggering up the body pic cauz I drew the head first. And cool about the coat of arms comment, I'd never thought of that. It really does look like that doesn't it? :p

ROTFLOL Suz! I love Napolean Dynamite like you wouldn't believe and to see that little clip was hilarious! Thanks! :D And remember Vote for Pedro, he'll make all your dreams come true. ;) Thanks bunches for the intensive comments, how I love getting them heaps! I was definitely chanelling a marine/coral feel for the hair piece on the Mara pic, I'm glad people picked it up. I think I was watching a doco on the Great Barrier Reef actually while drawing so instant inspiration. With Yoda I had a ref pic so drawing him wasn't that hard at all, but without a ref or making up a new pose I think would be hard, there's no pics of him without baggy pants so I'm not sure of this actual leg/body structure. I must admit I prefer Yoda as the wacky, senile old guy whose been living on his own for ages, before they made him baddass. I mean we always knew he was a bad mofo and I think it was better when it was imagined in my head. Do you get that, when you'd prefer not to actually see a scene? Maybe its just me? I was going to mention the Queztalcotl influence on my Boga pic but I didn't want to spell it! LOL :D And thanks so much for your lovely words! I really appreciate it and the birthday wishes too, I had a good one!

Thanks HanSolo29! I appreciate you stopping in here for a look at my humble work. I must admit I had a look at my cockatiel Buzz (an absolute nut of a bird who can whistle the imperial march when he's not mixing up his own nutty tunes) with the beak and eyes for Boga. I really like drawing feathers so it was a hoot to draw up.

Thanks Wascally, I know I've been practically dead to the world for ages so sorry bout that. Missed you guys and gals too! *hugs*

AG88, thanks for the kind words! I really do like dynamic fabric, so much so I can't seem to draw it lying flat which is bad, I don't know how Falcon can just draw her's so natural. Ooo...those fabric books are great, especially the one by the comic book guy who also did that blue dynamic anatomy book, I think the cloth one is red? I've toyed with buying that so many times but alas the cash flow. And pah! In my experience there's no such thing as luck! :p You're better than you think at drawing, you just have to admit it to yourself!

Hey PLJ! Thanks for stopping in and taking a loot at my work! I appreciate the support!

Thanks Darth Snuggle! :D

Once again, thanks everyone for taking a look at my work! [face_hug]

And now onto business, over the week I've done a few more quick drawings, basically warm up drawings before doing paid work to warm up my drawing hand. I find it helps get the bad strokes out before the work that matters more. So there's a few issues with some of these but then they are sketches (about half an hour at most). I've been doing

5. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Absolutely wonderful drawing. I am always amazed by your artwork. I love them all, especially the Tauntauns and your self portrait.

I did a self portrait too! Yeah, that Pic I did of Mara on that swamp planet was a self portrait also. ;) Yeah, that's the ticket. [face_whistling] I also took some liberties with it also. For example, I don't have natural red hair, and okay, I don't have the slim waist, or the flat stomach, or the face to die for, or the small butt, but I have been in a swamp... spent two weeks sludging through the jungles of Panama. ;)

[face_laugh]

Great job on everything. I like the Gungan, but I have to admit, it looked a little like Jar Jar in a dominatrix outfit. That is probably why I liked it. Maybe somebody should write a fanfic about that![face_laugh] [face_laugh]

The bantha, Zanthras and Zalaca are amazing!!! Fantastic work with everything!!!=D= =D=

AG88

6. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Update!! Update!! [face_dancing]

:D

How good are you with creatures?!?! These all look fabuloso, Rogue--I'd pick a favorite, but I can't choose!!

The bantha is just awesome--I love the extra definition you've given its face and form, with muscles showing under that dense coat, and the extra detailing on the horns and feet. The addition of the unmistakable Tatooine environs is a wonderful touch for this one--really puts it down on its home planet--beautiful! And I agree--this would be fabulous colored!

Oooo, the Gungan rider and his Zalaca is gorgeous--and yes, all the musculature in both of the figures is wonderful! I love the Zalaca's pose here, very kinetic, and the intricate "bridle" you've added is superb. I'm sure the Gungan has a rapport with his mount, but it looks a bit too scary for me to want to spend any time around it, I'm afraid...all the big, pointy teeth... [face_worried]

Thrantas? I love these, but am clueless as to their planet of origin... The motion in this piece is beautiful--all three just plummeting out of the sky, diving after prey, perhaps, with mouths spread open...? The grace in these creatures is stunning--I can only imagine how beautiful it would be to see them actually flying...and thanks to your drawing, I can almost picture it... :D

And how pretty are you, you little "Tauntaun Wrangler?" This is amazing, Rogue, and had to be a riot of fun to do: the details on the animals are jaw-dropping, with the fur and the claws and the horns--and loving your Rebel uniform, too! The view out onto the frozen landscape of Hoth is a wonderful touch here, too--and as to what you'd actually do in the SW universe: I don't think any of us truly knows what we'd do, faced with the sort of galaxy wide conflict that existed in the story... I've always loved the comment (paraphrased here...) about heroes being ordinary people that find themselves having to act in extraordinary circumstances--which implies that any one of us could find the conviction and courage to do what was necessary and right at the time. So you might think all you could do was "wrangle Tauntauns," but I have a feeling that you'd make an awesome starfighter pilot (and your squadron would love you for the humor you bring to every situation!)! ;)

Outstanding update, and a wonderful "journey" to some new and different worlds and their intriguing "critters!" Thanks--this made my day!! [:D]

FF

7. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Just a wee shameless up for my thread.

Thanks for commenting ladies but I'm short on time at the moment so I'll reply and give out hugs later! :D Thanks lovies and Happy Valentines Day! May your boxes of chocolates be plentiful and bunches of flowers colourful!

8. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Ohmygod!

The Tauntaun keeper drawing is gorgeous! Your lines are so great, the detail is amazing!
    Great work with the outfit aswell.
    Agh, I'm so envious of your style! :_|

9. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Squee! (Yes, squee. I make up words. So what? :p)

In each pic, you make the designs yours and yours alone. You bring each creature alive and make it command the attention of the audience.
    I just love that bantha! ^_^
    So striking how you can go from fierce, Yuzzhan Vong warrior to adorable Barney Bantha without missing a beat :)
    I also like the thrantas in that in even a black and white penning, you can still see a lot of your fantastic romanticism (which I love).
    I know a lot of people hatethem on principle, but I love the design of Gungans and I'm glad to see they don't get totally shied away from :) The mask looks very bdsm which is frightening LOL
    I like the self portrait. I'm surprised more artists around here haven't put themselves into the SW Universe. I think Amy Pronovost did, and now you have, but that's all I can think of. You also both used tauntauns in the pieces! :p
    I love the idea and wish we'd see more of it!
    Then again, I'm one to talk. When I get back home on Sunday, maybe I'll try my hand at painting myself as a Sith ;p
    As always, fantastic work that is beyond me to critique :)

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Oooo, I love these! Creatures, yay! ::grins:: Especially the bantha one... made me laugh because I've been using "bantha" expressions for similes lately... lol.

The tauntaun keeper -- self portrait, kind of? Lol! I like the hairstyle you used for that. :D

The Gungan rider is pretty cool, I love all the little details on the bridle!

I love the angle the Thrantas are at -- never heard of them before, actually, but this is an absolutely beautiful piece!

11. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Your bantha looks great, a lot of good definition and contrast plus a good background to go with!

I have to admit that I never heard of a zalaca before but it looks amazing, and no wonder only top Gungan worriors use them! One question though that I've always had about these sort of things: Why does the armor stop at the hips and wrap around? And then just boots on the bottom/shin guards? Anywho just wondering.

The Thrantas are simply great I don't think I've seen such a good drawing of them before! Bravo

Now for your grand finale, the Tauntan Keeper, I'll start with the bad news(Sorry) The forearms seem a little large on all, now that were past that *Pheww* it looks really good and you still amaze with the hair and a really good self portrate(You look great!) really injoyed that you not only had the main horns but also the small almost stubbs on top. Most impressive.

Congrats on all=D= =D= =D=

12. aurelia-acc

aurelia-acc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    Wow, what an update ! :eek:

These artworks are really great, I especially love "Zalaca and Gungan rider" =D= Will you color in this one as well or only the Bantha?

13. mMathab

mMathab Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2001
    You can be proud of your artwork. Particularly like the Aayla pic on page 10. You really have different style. I can say I was really impressed by the Jagged Fel and others over deviantart. But I prefer your b&w pencil ones more. Original ideas too like the gungan rider. The bantha was superb too.

14. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    ROTFLOL Suz! I love Napolean Dynamite like you wouldn't believe and to see that little clip was hilarious! Thanks!

Lol - Glad you liked it! There was talk of dancing and doing a jig (I think it was Deb) and thought about this clip I had on my HD. Figured it would be funny. :p

I was going to mention the Queztalcotl influence on my Boga pic but I didn't want to spell it! LOL

I decided to be brave and make the attempt. :p

-----
    ...This is what you call 'warm-up' artwork? You're crazy.

Bantha
    I admit - I never batted an eyelash at these guys the first time I saw them, but your drawing is making me warm up to the creatures a little bit. (You have a way of doing that to me with your artwork.) It's fur is so well layed out and detailed - from the way it sags at the bottom, and the ultra cool way it's set on top of his head, almost like he's got gel in there. I always enjoy the attentive detail you put on the horns to make them look more jagged.

Zalaca and Gungan rider
    It definately makes the Gungans much more interesting to me (I didn't care for the Gungans in general - it wasn't just Jar Jar :p) I think what takes away the look of his legs gripping the creatures sides is that the Gungan is raised high in the air, which just comes across as being an awkward uncomfortable position. Well, that's my take on it. The musculature on both characters are extremely well defined and look to be perfectly set too. It's just amazing how good you are at anything in this area. I also like he more regal look on the harness and muzzle by adding a more fancier decorative appearance on those appendages. Also very much like the fact that the Gungan's outfit is so dark, as it helps anchor the eye to the foreground, to where one should be looking, rather than the background (to the dark trees).

Thrantas
    Oh this is excellent. The part I like the most is that though you've drawn them flying in the same direction, you've done so in a variety of different angles. It's not only more entertaining, but this way, you get to really see their body shape better. Another thing which I think makes this stand apart from the rest, is how you bordered the background to make the flying creatures really pop-out at you. Stuff like that really makes pictures so much better.

Tauntaun Keeper
    Your Tauntauns are thee best. There, I said it (and I meant it). I swear, I've never seen anyone draw them as well as you do. And they look so adorable to boot. For some reason, I seem to like the one to the left more than the right. Something about it's innocent blank look, I think. The ability you have on drawing expressions on such diverse creatures and species is really remarkable, imo. I'm not saying that your human portraits/drawings aren't any good, but your talents on creatures are so exceptional and well, I'd be lucky If I ever was able to reach your level of skill in this area. The faces of all the creatures you do are always so perfect. Corellian Rogue: Queen of Critters :D I have one nit-picky comment regarding your SW self's outfit. The design on the front that goes over the chest doesn't look as thought they match up - the left being too low or the right being too high. Depends on how you look at it. I do feel that the bordered BG in this one would look better had it been extended further more to the left.

So you'd be a Tauntaun trainer? Yeah, I'd like to think I'd be a wicked fighter of some kind, but I somehow think I'd end up being something dismal, like the guy who mops the X-Wing hanger deck. Even then, I'd probably get replaced with droids and wind up in that bar Obi-Wan was at in AotC selling 'deathsticks'. :p

*Goes off to vote for Pedro*

- Suz ^_~

15. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Hello all and thanks for the lovely comments and for checking out my work! :D Thanks bunches guys and gals! Oh and I start my uni course in a week, Eeek! my books are ridiculously expensive! I'm thinking of selling (if anyone's interested) the collection of SW sketches I've been posting lately. I think it's everything since after the Krayt Dragon digital rendering. If anyone's interested if they could PM me that'd be great. :)

Now to business! Thanking all you wonderful people for checking out this wee little thread! *hugs*

Hey Deb! :D Thanks for your lovely comment as always! I would like to colour the Bantha at some point but it's hard to find time for anything at the moment! Doesn't help I volunteered myself to draw a friend's horse for a present either! GAH! I'm an idiot, I should have someone following me around stopping me from volunteering myself for stuff! LOL I don't think you'd like to be around anything I draw hon, they all seem to have big pointy teeth! :p

Thrantas are lovely flying things from Alderaan actually, so in the SW universe most of them are dead...pretty sad if it were real. I really like drawing flying creatures, there's not enough opportunity to draw such beauties, I might draw a few more in my spare time (what spare time). Aww...I'm sure if you drew yourself you'd be a little cutie too! :D The thing is I'd probably love wranging tauntauns more than I'd like being in a fighter squadron! LOL :D I just love em! I'm going to try to make one one day, I make teddy bears and I'd love to attempt a tauntaun, complete with a little Luke bear! *is tackled by AG88 at the mention of the L word*

Thanks Esira I really appreciate the support immensely! I like designing new outfits so the pic was a load of fun, especially when tweaking an existing design. I must admit I am a detail fiend so all those details are actually fun for me! LOL :D I know I'm weird! Thanks again hon! *hug*

Hey Wascally! Oh and I use Squee all the time too! Maybe we have some weird psyhic link or something! :eek: *twilight zone music* Or we both saw it somewhere else. :p Barny Bantha! Now that's hilarious! :D I do like to go cute every now and again, not often but sometimes. I'd like to do another thranta illustration some time but spend lots of hours on it highly rendered, there's just so much potential in their design and musculature. :eek: BDSM Gungun? *dies from shock and then laughter* I think every fanartist should draw themselves in the universe, it'd make an adorable collection to put together and laugh about. *idea* Maybe we should do something with that... it'd be a great community building thing and a celebration of diverse work! I'll have to remember that! And see, you too can be a sith!

Thanks for taking the time to comment Idrelle I appreciate it! With the tauntaun keeper, I actually do wear my hair like that sometimes except without the plait over the top of the head. My friend's call them Leia buns which is slightly embarrassing. :p Thanks again for your lovely words and continued support!

Hey Mitth_Fisto! Thanks for the great comment and crit! I love both very much so thanks! Zalaca's are a creation of Terryl Whitlatch's for her Wildlife of Star Wars book, it's a wonderful book and if you ever get the chance to see it read it for hours! I love it, it's like a creature design bible! :D I don't know why the armour stops there, I don't think I could be bothered doing the entire legs so leave it to laziness. I'll try to blend it a little better in the future with organic armour. I didn't want to go too far that the gungan was Yuuzhan Vongish. I totally always do forelimbs too long! Gah! I just like long gangly legs on tauntauns for some reason, almost like they are a little dense and don't know what to do with them. :) The horn comfiguration on the tauntauns is what I love most about them and to leave off the bumps is a crime! I'm glad someone noticed! *hugs*

Thank you so much for dropping in Aurelia! It's an honour! :) I really

16. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Hopefully you will get more time :)
    I'd love to see more paintings! ^_^

17. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

SIUEA_DOOGUAS Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2004
    I like the creatures you have been drawing! Great work! -ja [face_good_luck]
    Thanks again for posting in my thread!

18. skywalkerlover00

skywalkerlover00 Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2005
    wow. these are amzaing. especially the Jagged Fel portrait.

19. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    --Just because I know Corellian_Rogue is insanely busy with commissions right now, I'm kicking this up so some of our newest members can have a look at her absolutely fabulous work. If you want to see some drop-dead-gorgeous art, this is one of the places, folks! Enjoy!

...And we'll be waiting patiently, Rogue! [:D]

FF

20. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    "...And we'll be waiting patiently, Rogue"

We sure will. :)

I stopped by DA and was floored with the utterly beautiful artwork you've been cracking out. (Particularly the one of the winged animorph - can't remember the title) Your painting skills dazzle me. =P~

"Oh and it's hilarious that the only Gold medal in the Winter Games Australia has so far was won by a Canadian! LOL I laughed for about five minutes after seeing your medal tally! A little patriotic are we?"

*****, Snaps, I didn't reply to this? (I thought I had) yeah I felt that I might have been overdoing it a bit there, so I took it down a notch a couple days later. I just got caught up in how well Canada was doing - we never do that well. I remember when they had a little interview with that Gold medalist (name eludes me), they said it was bittersweet, because us Canadians were happy for him on the win, but sad that the medal wasn't for us. :p

Anyways, you'll whup us all in the Summer Olympics. ;)

- Suz ^_~

21. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    =D==D=Very well done! I adore your picture of Ben Skywalker!

22. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    These new ones are fantastic Corellian_Rogue - I have to say that you really have a way with rendering creatures!

23. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    wow, great work!!!!!! :D

24. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    You know you're good when you haven't been around in months and your thread is still on the first page :p

25. Ishale_Qatai

Ishale_Qatai Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2006
    I just wanted to let you know how much i love your work, especially your line art, AMAZING! You are truly inspiring. I?ve always loved to draw, and appreciated the discipline it takes for lineart! Good job, and keep it up!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.