main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Skywalker Prophecy - Episode VI: The Paths of Fate (OT AU; H/L, L/M, A/P, OCs): COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Lex, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aotc02

aotc02 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 17, 2002
    Great post. :D

Poor Mara. It must be terrible to have to dance for a creature as disgusting as Jabba. :mad: Luke and Mara really need to talk soon. They have some issues to discuss.

She smirked to herself. He wasn?t going to like the consequences if he didn?t. [face_shocked] I have a bad feeling about this...

2. Anakinisthechosenone

Anakinisthechosenone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    Great chapter!!!!

"She smirked to herself. He wasn?t going to like the consequences if he didn?t."

You just gotta love Mara! lol. Can't wait til Thursday!!!

3. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Marvelous beginning to your new story! Well, it isn?t really a new story ? it?s the third part of an epic. And as usual, the first post alone, even without the prologue, makes it clear that you have another roller coaster ride in store for us.

?Victory Strike,? eh?

Regelous and Tarkin planning to be standing side by side on Coruscant very soon, eh?

Got it. Will be paying very close attention to that.

The rescue from Jabba?s palace is going to be interesting, too. As usual, you lure us with hints of the familiar, and then change everything around in very unexpected ways. And as usual, you make episodes like that into much more than an adventure story ? the subtle dynamics and currents underlying the action are intriguing.

As others have pointed out, Mara is definitely in danger, and I?m not talking about gangsters or monsters.

Thursday, anyone?

4. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Those are some very politically savvy women ? Padmé & her advisors. :) Sarré seems determined to keep their feet on the ground, which is good. I like how you showed Padmé?s reluctance to go with an all-out military offensive like Victory Strike. She may have confidence in her son and his plan, but she?s still the same Padmé that would prefer a diplomatic negotiation to combat.

Have I mentioned I really like your creepy bad guys? Regelous is appropriately evil and Tarkin interacts well with him. We know how Tarkin was with Vader ? just a bit arrogant, as if he fancied himself almost an equal with the Emperor (and somehow above Vader). His camaraderie with Regelous shows the same sense of equality. Nice to see some things don?t change even in alternate universes.

Interesting to see Mara play Arica on the side of the good guys. I like how you?ve shown her reaction to the palace and all of Jabba?s minions. I think she?s right, though. She definitely needs to get out of there. Probably it wasn?t the best assignment for her considering her state of mind.

5. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    Not much time to respond, but I just had to say Marvelous!

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]

6. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    The good guys have a strike planned and the bad guys have a strike planned. Only difference, the bad guys don't have a bunch of polticians they have to pacify.

*glares at the senators that won't let the ships deploy* And you wonder why the war lasts as long as it does.

He would keep his word to her. She knew he would. He had to.

She smirked to herself. He wasn?t going to like the consequences if he didn?t.
    *whimpes* Something tells me that they aren't going to have that talk soon and both are going to suffer badly for it.

7. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Poor Mara, having to be Jabba's **** so she could get Han out--and good for her for being a friend enough to Leia to do it. I loved the way she kicked the other guys' asses who tried to mess with her though. ;)

Great post. :)

8. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Poor Mara, having to be Jabba's personal stripper for this mission. Think it's starting to affect her a little bit 8-}? She's giving off an Emperor's Hand vibe here. She and Luke need to hash things out.

--MissPadme

9. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    What's really upsetting me about what Mara is going through is not Mara per se but all the slave women at Jabba's palace who are not dancing under aliases - this is really their life - and who do not have Force training or strength to push off unwanted advances. :( :(

Tarkin is deliciously evil, BTW. Your villians R.O.X. :)

10. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    TKL: Just like old times Absolutely. In tough times it?s always best to have old, trusted friends around to support you. you did a great job of portraying how she felt. Thanks. I?ve always thought Leia must?ve been completely miserable in the time she spent as Jabba?s prisoner (and I?ve read several good fanfics addressing it, actually) ? and Mara must?ve been even worse, since she?s so used to the fancy Imperial Palace life (or in this case, the Skywalker lifestyle and the Jedi Temple). Oh my! Ummm, kids. We need to have that talk and soon. Are you saying you think their lack of communication is unhealthy? [face_mischief] Made my day. You?re welcome. ;)
    kayladie97: I actually got chills up my spine as I read that bit! Woohoo! :D What a great compliment. Yay! As for whether the Sith will win? [face_plain] Wonderful description of her having made all the scum of Jabba's court afraid of her. Yeah, I really can?t see Mara playing a weak, frightened slave girl. I have to think she?d have taken charge in any way she could? :cool: Course, it sounds like Luke should be afraid of her, too! He?s got nothing to worry about ? as long as he does the right thing. Oh, wait? This is Luke? Never mind. [face_devil]
    Kinght-Ander: For a moment there I thought Arica was Leia and not Mara. That would?ve been fun! Even better would be Luke in drag. :p Nah, he?d be found out, probably?.
    Jedi-2B: the good guys and the bad guys are both planning huge strikes against the other's capitals. Yep. Now it?s a race to the finish? :eek: I'm anxious to see how Han's rescue plays out with Mara on the other side of the equation. I think we can all agree it won?t be dull. ;)
    Lando_Plenty: Jabba's palace was one of my favourite segments of the OT. I'm looking forward to see how it plays out here. It?s one of my favorites too, actually. I love the way the characters appear one by one, and how everything builds and builds until the crazy battle and the heroes get away. :D I?m definitely aiming for the same idea.
    RebelMom: That strike sounds ominous, especially since both sides have one planned. Yes? And Padmé?s dedication to integrity and democracy could get her in trouble this time? :( As the others said, Luke and Mara really need to talk. I noticed you didn?t say you thought they?d get to, only that they need to. I guess you know me too well now, huh? :)
    Gabri: Although it doesn't sound especially good that Regelous is thinking of victory as a few days away at the same time that Padmé is choosing to withhold Victory Strike as a last resort. Yeah? Not good? :( Good for her, to have broken that creep's arm. Undercover or not, Mara doesn?t take crap from anyone. Especially not some slimy thug? Although it?s always a bit disconcerting when Jabba is the one telling you to be merciful. [face_plain] Her emotions are also perfectly understandable and well written. Oh great? No pressure or anything? :p We?re starting off with Mara, and adding others as we go. Lots more Mara on Thursday. Hopefully Luke will be sensible on this issue. Hopefully. Um? This is Luke we?re talking about? :p
    DANA28: Poor Mara, having to smell that thing called Jabba the Hutt. I know? I get ill just thinking about it. :(
    jacen200015: Welcome! :D Thanks for your comments, and I?m glad to know you?ve enjoyed ADR and HAD so far. I post twice a week so you shouldn?t fall too far behind on POF. ;) I liked the part about the Skywalkers wishing for a child then getting it. I suppose it has its advantages? But personally I find the idea terrifying! [face_laugh] Bryon Skywalker is so............WOW! *drools* Ah, another fan. [face_love] Thanks! He?s been a very fun OC to write for sure.
    PhoenixMage: She reminds me too much of canon Ani. Heh heh. Yeah. She?s his apprentice? Heh heh. [face_devil] if they implement it in time. Ah, yes. The terrible word: If. :_|
    JediArwen: By the way what's "debate" (Is it spel

11. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    Whatever would give you that idea? [face_innocent] Hmm, I wonder why [face_sarcastic_smirk]

12. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I'm heeeereee...

Great few first posts. I really don't have time to say much, but I will say this: Great job with Mara! That's my girl, breaking that idiot's arm. :D

13. JediArwen

JediArwen Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2002
    :) Thursday noon, here!

:( Where are you, Lexie?

14. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Bulldog: [face_sarcastic_smirk] :p
    Emmi: Good to see you! :D Great job with Mara! That's my girl, breaking that idiot's arm. Yeah. She?s fun that way. [face_mischief]
    JediArwen: Stupid time zones! :mad: :p

Here?s the next post! :D

CHAPTER ONE (Part 2 of 3)

Arica stood in the deep shadows of her corner of Jabba?s throne room and watched with trepidation the scene unfolding in front of her. In the brightly lit center of the crowded room the young female Twi?lek named Oola was performing a vigorous, athletic dance for the Hutt and the dozens of assembled gangsters, mercenaries, and thugs. Hoots and jeers and taunts assaulted the girl from all sides. The audience was not satisfied by the insufficiently seductive and lurid nature of the dance.

Oola continued with the dance, but her pace was slowing and her movements were becoming less smooth. She nearly stumbled and fell, but she pressed onward. And the catcalls only got worse.

Mara could sense the problem clearly enough in the Force. Oola was exhausted. She had been forced to dance for too long, and now her body was failing her. The girl?s muscles ached. Her breathing was ragged. She was on the verge of collapse.

But Oola was also afraid ? afraid to displease Jabba and his minions. The pure terror radiating from the girl in the Force was so powerful, so intense, that it made Mara sick to her stomach. Oola was deathly afraid of what would happen if she stopped dancing, and so she somehow kept going.

It took all the willpower Mara could muster not to intervene. Jabba and the gathered criminals were inflicting incredible agony upon this defenseless girl. They were tormenting Oola to death, one way or another. It was unconscionable. It was one of the vilest things Mara could imagine.

It was evil.

And Mara was a Jedi Knight. What point was there to serve the Republic, and the Force, and justice, if not to put a stop to inhumanely cruel actions of this kind? How could she stand idly by and watch this violation of basic dignity continue? How could she stand here in the corner and do nothing?

Mara closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She knew the answers to her silent questions, as much as she didn?t want to accept them.

She could do nothing because it was her duty to do nothing. She was here in Jabba?s palace for a reason ? to rescue Captain Solo. That was the mission the Jedi Council had approved. To deviate from that mission risked unknowable problems. She had no lightsaber here ? not yet ? and her powers with the Force would only do so much. Any intervention on Oola?s behalf would compromise the mission and put her own life in danger, as well as Lando?s and Han?s. She couldn?t know what would happen if she allowed her impulse for taking action to override her obligation to her responsibilities.

What Mara did know for certain was that the last time she had been on Tatooine she and Luke had disobeyed their orders from their Masters ? and their friends Ralli and Gars had died because of it. Mara was not about to make the same mistake again, especially not on Tatooine.

Keeping her eyes closed, Mara reminded herself of the teachings in the Temple. A Jedi?s duty was to the Force, in service to the Republic and the Senate, and sometimes that did indeed require the pursuit of justice. But the Jedi were too few to right every wrong in the galaxy. And even if they could, it was not their responsibility to do so. To assume the role of self-declared guardians of justice in all times and places was to put on the mantle of arrogance and pride that inevitably would lead down the dark path of domination and supremacy. Seeking to vindicate every injustice was an impossible task ? and Mara had no choice but to concede that grim truth.

Involuntarily she remembered the story of Qui-Gon Jinn?s arrival on Tatooine over three decades ago. In the course of attempting to acquire a new hyperdrive for Queen Amidala?s starship, the Jedi

15. LovelyLea

LovelyLea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2001
    Great post, but when are we going to hear more about Leia?

16. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    First reply! Ah, the benefits of being an early riser.

This is only the second post of the story and already you are cheerfully wrenching your readers? emotions! What does that portend for the rest of the tale?

I LOVE the fact that you have addressed the issue of the duty of a Jedi outside of mission parameters head-on.

A Jedi?s duty was to the Force, in service to the Republic and the Senate, and sometimes that did indeed require the pursuit of justice. But the Jedi were too few to right every wrong in the galaxy. And even if they could, it was not their responsibility to do so. To assume the role of self-declared guardians of justice in all times and places was to put on the mantle of arrogance and pride that inevitably would lead down the dark path of domination and supremacy. Seeking to vindicate every injustice was an impossible task ? and Mara had no choice but to concede that grim truth.

That?s certainly true to the way the Jedi have been portrayed throughout the films. I have always objected to that approach, but it does carry with it a very consistent internal logic, which you have nailed, I think. Selective doing of good, based on the idea that one?s own choices about where it is best applied are the right ones, has always seemed to me to be the real height of arrogance. But perhaps that is one of the reasons that the Jedi Order faltered, and was eventually destroyed?

But I digress. This is an AU, the Jedi are fine and strong, and have a huge role to play in the great battle with the Sith. I?ll shut up.

Since Gimna 3 she constantly had felt a profound and incurable loneliness about her place in the universe. She was alone and always would be. There was no one in the galaxy she could believe in unconditionally. Not a single soul.

Ok. Mara is definitely in the worst kind of trouble ? something no lightsaber can get her out of?

The description of Oola?s fate was just wrenching, and Mara?s reaction to it was in many ways perfectly understandable. I feel the same way! But then, I?m not a Jedi. I don?t doubt that Mara will find a way to kill Jabba. (After all, she?s wearing the dancing girl outfit!) But it won?t end there for her, will it? It seems as though every one of her actions will take her to a worse and worse place..

Oola?s pain, that still clung to Mara in the Force like a mynock to a starship?s hull.

Love that description!

Danaé picked up her datapad and read the results ? and her heart skipped a beat.?Oh,? she whispered. ?Not good.?

*taps foot, waiting impatiently*

Great post!

17. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Haunting description of Mara having to endure Oola's death in the Force...

I'm glad that she has forgiven Anakin, but this sense of aloneness that she feels...that has to be opening her to the possibility of moving towards the Dark Side. Add to that the anger she's feeling now towards Jabba...not a good combination at all.

And where the heck is Luke?! We're almost through with chapter one and we haven't seen the farmboy yet! :(

Cool bits with Danae. Wonder what she could have found that's "not good." Knowing you, I'm not even going to hazard a guess! :D

Can't wait for more!! :) :)

18. Anakinisthechosenone

Anakinisthechosenone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    Great post!! Mara's really beginning o scare me..... And what was on Danae's datapad? I can't wait til Monday!!!

19. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Not a nice post, even if it's a good one *shiver*

20. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    And Mara was a Jedi Knight. What point was there to serve the Republic, and the Force, and justice, if not to put a stop to inhumanely cruel actions of this kind? How could she stand idly by and watch this violation of basic dignity continue? How could she stand here in the corner and do nothing?

Mara's internal struggle in the face of a certain wrong was just poignant! :_| I am sure she is not the only person to have ever lived through such a troubling circumstance, but still there is little for her to fall back on. How can you ever prepare for something like that? :(

Even the tale of Qui-Gon's trip to Tatooine really didn't compare with the in-your-face evil she was up against.

The beauty of this whole scenario is that if she and Luke had not failed so miserably the last time on Tatooine she might have been brazen enough to go ahead and go with her gut instinct. Very clever you little evil author you [face_devil]

There was no one in the galaxy she could believe in unconditionally. Not a single soul. Lordie - that's sad :_|

EEK so now she's sympathizing with Oola :eek: How utterly cruel! :mad:

Mara?s mind barely registered her body doubling over, and vomiting, and collapsing to her knees, and slumping into the wall, and gulping for air, and crying.

Okay so I must say the whole scene up to the point where Oola died was brilliant. I won't repost it all for you but you get the drift ;)

Mara hated Jabba.

And someday soon, when the time was right, he would die because of it.

EEP! :eek: *shivers* Not GOOD!

Danaé picked up her datapad and read the results ? and her heart skipped a beat.

?Oh,? she whispered. ?Not good.?

Uh oh. I have a bad feeling about this...

Next post on Monday?

Bryon?s mission at Xixus?

What's that ?[face_plain] Did you say [face_love] Bryon [face_love] ?[face_plain]

*faints*

21. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    That was a very powerful scene with Mara and her thoughts about Oola. Mara thinks she's got no one, but she really does, even if she doesn't believe it. So sad. It's good she's forgiven Anakin, but her self isolation is bad.

Wonder what Danae has found? I know you want tell us for a while. I know how evil authors are. ;)

22. PhoenixMage

PhoenixMage Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2002
    Woah.

The bad feeling I have about Mara is growing. She seems to have picked all the wrong emotions before, and now it's led her somewhere that she can't turn back from.

The suspense certainly mounted with the scene with Danae. What's not good? Many things? Or just one big thing?

23. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I know you gave all the logical reasons why Mara couldn't save Oola, but I just don't know if I could stand by like that. And all of Mara's thoughts were so heart-wrenching. I noticed that during all of her ponderings of how alone she felt, never once did Luke enter her thoughts. Not good. Not good.

And then you go and end with a Danae cliffhanger. Especially since we have to wait till Monday. :(

24. J_M_Bulldog

Apr 24, 2003
    Mara's stronger than I. If it had been me, I don't know if I could have stood there and 'watch' that.

Wait a minute, she's not alone. Course Luke and her haven't talked so I can see why she would think that, at least in that way. But she has all the Skywalkers and extented family and all the friends.

What did Danae see? And why do I get the feeling we won't see what it is Monday? :p

25. aotc02

aotc02 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 17, 2002
    Great post. :D

I have always thought that being strong in the Force would be really cool. I never gave the bad things much thought. It would be terrible to have to feel someone endure pain and the suffering as they died. Poor Mara. She had to sit back and let Oola die. Now she hates Jabba. I don't blame her, I hate Jabba too, but I'm not a Jedi. She needs to control the anger before she falls to the darkside.

It's sad that Mara feels she has no one. Luke cares for her, even if he tries to deny it. He really needs to let her know that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.