main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Skywalker Prophecy - Episode VI: The Paths of Fate (OT AU; H/L, L/M, A/P, OCs): COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Lex, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Hehe, Fel :p Sorry I found that funny for some reason.
    Loved the name for the operation.

Hehe, those droids are hilarious. And of course Artoo is a hero. If it weren't for him, all the Skywalkers'd be dead. Considering he saved Padme long before she met Anakin.

Poor Mara. Well, that talk with Lando seemed to do some good.

2. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    It would be the fourth system in as many weeks retaken from the enemy under his leadership, no doubt placing him at the top of the Vyhrragian?s list of most hated ? and most feared ? Republic commanders.

Getting shot sure didn't teach Bryon a lesson about being a target :p

Threepio and Artoo = [face_laugh]

One of the Skywalker twins arrives at Jabba?s Palace?
    Hmm... that'd be Leia...

You absolutly positive about that JJ? ;)

3. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    You absolutly positive about that JJ?
    Nope. :p

I figure whichever one I say it will most likely be the opposite because I'm always wrong. :p

4. C3SoloP0

C3SoloP0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2002
    hey hey!

my reply! here it comes! ;)

But within two hours the world would be in the Republic?s hands again, and he would be its conqueror.
    should Bryon be thinking like that? Feels kinda too cocky to me......

Artoo blooped and whistled. ?I most certainly am not an overanxious ninny, you ungrateful bucket of bolts,? Threepio said sharply, banging his metal fingers on Artoo?s dome.
    Lol!! Well, I've been making my boyfriend watch the Star Wars movies lately (since he had never seen them...*gasp* *shock*) and he always refers to Threepio as follows: "you know that golden prissy coward droid?"... hehehe...so i kind of agree with Artoo.... ;)

?We need you sharp for this to work,? he said. ?Our success depends on it.?

?I?ll be sharp,? she hissed.

For some reason...that doesn't comfort me very much...

Great work Lexy!

Can't wait for the next one....

~Solo

5. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Loved the exchange between Artoo and Threepio. Not only because fan fic writers RARELY tread into that territory, but also because you wrote it well enough where I could hear the familiar Artoo noises and Anthony Daniels's voice.

Poor Skid Row Mara! Can she hold it together or will the Skywalker twins have to rescue her?

--MissPadme

6. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    within two hours the world would be in the Republic?s hands again, and he would be its conqueror. It would be the fourth system in as many weeks retaken from the enemy under his leadership, no doubt placing him at the top of the Vyhrragian?s list of most hated ? and most feared ? Republic commanders.
    Whoa! :eek: My man Bryon, he's calm, he's cool, but... is it just me, or is he having a little too much fun? I guess he's just in his element here.

Artoo and Threepio = [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    That was perfect. They're always a lot of fun... [face_love] it never gets old for me.
    Here's a toot for Artoo. *bops Goldenrod over the head* ;)

Mara felt a pair of tears trail down her cheeks and wiped them away with the back of her hand. She was a Jedi Knight now. She was supposed to be controlled. Serene. But she wasn?t ? not by a long shot.
    Poor Mara? she?s really not holding up all that well. :( At least her ordeal is almost over? that is, if all goes well the next day. :p

Can't wait for more. :)

7. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    It's nice to see Bryon again, even only briefly. :)

You have hit R2 and 3PO on the head when it comes to characterisation. I laughed the whole way through that scene.

I'm beginning to wonder why Mara was made a Jedi, but I suppose she was doing better then. Earlier I guess she showed a clarity of mind that a Jedi should have, but knowing what is supposedly right and even doing it, doesn't mean you have to believe it.

So, tomorrow is the rescue of Han Solo. I expect it will go without a hitch ;) (yeah, and I'm Santa)

One of the Skywalker twins arrives at Jabba?s Palace...

It's Leia, isn't it? (not that I wouldn't be absolutely thrilled to see her)

8. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Good transitional post, Darth_Lex. I don't have much to say on the specifics because I'm waiting for the next scenes to unfold; suffice it to say that it's always nice to see Byron again. The droids are great. And Mara's struggles continue to be worrying.

As for the discussion of the Jedi, I should have known that leaving a poorly-thought-out throwaway line on your thread would be akin to stepping into a bear trap. I got what I deserved.

You?re right, of course?. Individual decisions as opposed to what? The Jedi often appear to operate as field agents with a great deal of autonomy ? a lone Jedi on a mission will be more likely to rely on his or her own judgment in most things than to report back to headquarters all the time. It?s what they are trained to do ? to be self-reliant and to achieve closure on the mission. Focus. Be effective. Go in, do what you have to do, get out.

And given the power that they wield, the Jedi must be steeped in the values of the ?Guardians of Justice in the Galaxy,? and must be trustworthy in the highest degree. Otherwise they might as well be Sith, who appear to share the same set of skills ? powers, if you will ? as the Jedi, but who are motivated by, and base their actions on, a completely different set of values. Pursuit by a Jedi of personal needs, desires and agendas - even those he considers to be of a moral nature - would be disastrous. (Wait ? isn?t there a story about a young Jedi who refused to toe that line? And didn?t he indeed become a Sith? :D) And so the fundamentally moral individual Jedi inevitably will find himself operating within, and supporting through inaction, a fundamentally immoral situation. Such as the dancing girl in Jabba?s Palace in your story. Or Shmi?s slavery, and indeed, the existence of slavery, in TPM.

And in the same way that an individual Jedi cannot take everything into his own hands, a single small group within the vast Galaxy, like the Jedi Order, cannot right all wrongs. I certainly take your point that if they tried to, their despotism would be as terrible as that of their enemies. That decision ? ?I know what is right and therefore I will change everything and everyone to align with my views? ? would be pure, breathtaking arrogance and an abuse of power.

So I guess the question is, what does it actually mean to be a Guardian of Justice in the Galaxy? What does it mean for the Jedi Order? Is the Council in fact wise and effective enough to consistently and effectively navigate those level 5 moral rapids? What makes the Council believe that its interpretation of ?the Will of the Force,? which by the way appears to carry with it a set of values that are deemed to be universal, is the best and most accurate one? And are those values in fact universal? How much leeway does that give the individual Jedi for making personal moral choices?

If I talk to God, and you talk to God, and he tells us different things, who is right?

And in case of such a dispute, can the institutional and political structure within which we operate give us enough guidance to work through our differences? A thousand years before, the Jedi Order placed itself at the service of the Republic, presumably on the understanding that the values of the Republic and those of the Jedi were aligned. If the fundamental moral values within the Republic begin to shift, what is the role and responsibility of the Jedi Order in ensuring that the originally agreed-upon values are adhered to? More to the point, which set of values is true, and therefore right? And how does that affect the decision-making of the individual Jedi in the field, whose personal judgment is constantly required?

It?s obvious to me that I don?t have the definitive answers, and that I haven?t addressed the original question head-on. The more I think about it, the more I have questions, not opinions. But GunraysLawyer?s comment makes a great deal of sense to me, alarming though the implications are:

It has one flaw...It cannot deal meaningfully with transcendent m

9. Anakinisthechosenone

Anakinisthechosenone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    Great chapter Darth!! Poor Mara! At times like those it muxt suck to be a Jedi.... Can't wait for Thursday!!

10. Lando_Plenty

Lando_Plenty Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    The R2/3PO stuff was really good , probably some of the best I've seen them written in a fanfic.

Nice to see Bryon is fine, and of course more of Jabba's Palace. :)

11. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    It would be the fourth system in as many weeks retaken from the enemy under his leadership, no doubt placing him at the top of the Vyhrragian?s list of most hated ? and most feared ? Republic commanders.

The Skywalkers are a busy family, aren't they? :p I like Bryon. :D Maybe not as much as TKeira_Lea does, but I like him. :p

Artoo whistled in amusement. ?How to shut down protocol droids? Why, I never!?

How very in character for both of them. :D

After all the months ? no, years ? she?d complained about being denied the chance to take the Trials and earn her Knighthood, it seemed terribly ironic that she felt so unworthy of that title now that she?d acquired it.

*narrows eyes at Lex* You have a worthwhile reason to be putting my Mara through all of this, right?

Mara hugged her knees to her chest. ?About kriffin? time.?

?Hey, I didn?t enjoy the wait any more than you,? Lando said.

I'm sure he didn't, but Lando wasn't the one who had to dance for those reprobates.

Mara blew out a breath sharply. ?Why would you do that??

?We need you sharp for this to work,? he said. ?Our success depends on it.?

?I?ll be sharp,? she hissed.

Oh, dear. That one could go either way. Still, lots of fun to see Mara as Arica as a Jedi rather than an Imperial assassin. Great post as always. :D

12. aotc02

aotc02 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 17, 2002
    Great post! Bantha-Wampa-Mynock is a funny name for a mission. :D I can't wait for the plan to be put into action. That's going to be cool.

Threepio and R2-D2 always bring a smile to my face! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Poor Mara. You really need to give her a break sometime soon, Lex. Hopefully she can recover from all of the drinks she had in time for the mission.

13. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    I wish that the week went 'Monday, Thursday, Monday, Thursday' [face_mischief]

hehe.

14. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    :D [face_love] BRYON'S BACK! [face_love] :D

Sowwy a little late Lex, but you didn't need the Force to know I would looooooove this post!

*wipes drool from mouth*

[face_blush]

Colonel Bryon Skywalker stood in the rear of the cockpit of the Republic Army gunship, his feet planted wide and his hand clenched firmly around the handgrip above his head. Out the front viewport he watched the craft slicing through the dense fog settled over the white-capped waves of the ocean and saw that the thick layers of polluted clouds had painted the morning sky a dull gray hue. The industrial planet Xixus would not win any awards for natural beauty or tourist interest. But within two hours the world would be in the Republic?s hands again, and he would be its conqueror. It would be the fourth system in as many weeks retaken from the enemy under his leadership, no doubt placing him at the top of the Vyhrragian?s list of most hated ? and most feared ? Republic commanders.

You know I have to say you by far write some of the best opening paragraphs. There's so much there and it's so vivid. Sets the mood...

?Very good, Major,? Bryon grinned. ?See you shortly at the target zone.?

?Roger, Colonel,? she said. ?Thank you, sir.?

?You?re welcome, Major. But you should know by now I always keep my word.?

?Of course, sir. It?s appreciated nonetheless.?

?Understood, Major,? he nodded to no one in particular. The comlink clicked off momentarily before activating again.

Hmmmm ?[face_plain] Interesting dynamic here. Of course I am excited to see where you take Major Starblaze [face_mischief] :p

Bryon suppressed his chuckle at the formal query from Captain Fel. The Corellian ace really needed to lighten up a little. Then again, the seriousness with which he treated every engagement no doubt explained his squadron?s unparalleled precision.

*faints*

A Fel and Bryon in the same section! Consider the possibilities - this as my cybertwin is yelling something about sharing. Dream on I say, my darling Red. 'Tir and Bryon are all mine.

?A fine guess, Sergeant,? Bryon said, ?but an incorrect one. I would like to arrive before Aurora One.?

?I see, sir,? the pilot chuckled. ?In that case, I?ll get us there in eight.?

?I like the way you think, Sergeant,? Bryon laughed. ?Keep this up, and you?ll be my personal pilot in no time.?

[face_laugh] Aha! I see the competitive streak coming out. [face_mischief] You Go Bryon!

And the droids! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] ROTFLMAO!

Artoo blooped and whistled. ?I most certainly am not an overanxious ninny, you ungrateful bucket of bolts,? Threepio said sharply, banging his metal fingers on Artoo?s dome. ?I simply think this mission sounds entirely too dangerous.?

Don't you just love thinking up new and different sound descriptives for Artoo's conversation. Always a fun time for me when I have droid-speak to write. And 3PO is such an old crotchety man in a shiny body. What a hoot!

You?re not a hero, Artoo. You?re a mechanic. *snickers*

She shouldn?t have had so many drinks; to be less than fully aware and completely attuned to the Force put her in danger. Oh Mara! :_| What have you done?!

After all the months ? no, years ? she?d complained about being denied the chance to take the Trials and earn her Knighthood, it seemed terribly ironic that she felt so unworthy of that title now that she?d acquired it. Sitting here on the grimy floor of Jabba?s throne room, drunk and blubbering, wasn?t exactly the Jedi ideal.

Really a poignant moment to show her mindset. Going from a driven woman bent on obtaining her knighthood to so unsure of her even deserving it really speaks to her mental stability. And I fear it's not good :(

If nothing else Mara took solace in the fact that her embarrassment was a private one. Enter one Lando [face_mischief] How cruel!

?I do know it?s two stages.? Two stages huh? [chin_scratching_icon]

Great post, Lex!

yeah yeah I know but be

15. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    JediArwen: Only after the whole thing appeared not working societies begun to change it with strong opposition from those who found it still profitable. Sadly, I think you?re right about this. There are many examples in US history that fit that idea, not just slavery? And interestingly, we see some of that in the PT too, don?t we? Palpatine is exploiting the weakness that have arisen in the Republic, and in particular using commercial interests like the Trade Federation exacerbate the problems? I don't think that is necessary to explain the reason for this. Nope, it?s not! [face_laugh] It?s so true? And again a nice comparison ? in AOTC Palpatine should have been out of office from term limits but the Senate extended his power due to the crisis? Not smart? The fact that the decisions must made only by the JC or the Senate, or that certain individuals go on a personal crusade? Sorry, I meant that I am more scared by the idea of individual Jedi going on personal crusades (think of what young Anakin might do with that kind of authority?) than by the idea that the Senate or Jedi Council might fail to prevent a grave injustice. Either way there are great risks, and either way there could be great injustices caused or left unremedied ? I?ll conceded that. To me trusting a group is wiser than trusting each lone Jedi. [face_plain] Don?t you think you have torture poor Bryon enough, my friend? Is there such a thing as torturing a character too much? [face_devil] They are perfect together, as always! Thanks. I have a lot of fun writing the droids, that?s for sure. Shall we have Leia in the metal bikini? Maybe. But we already have Mara in a skimpy dancing outfit? [face_love]
    RebelMom: Of course, Artoo is a hero! The Skywalkers would be dead without him. And he knows it too! :p Then there?s Threepio? Good job with that. Thanks. I think?
    TahiriSoloFan: I love that he gets to be so much softer in this story. Not so quick to try and play it cool and aloof. Yeah, I?m writing Lando a bit more like EU Lando rather than ESB Lando. I guess I like the loyal friend side of him more than the sleazy gambler side, and since I put him in the Navy he?s got less of that in this AU. Oh well, he?ll still have his moments later. [face_mischief]
    PhoenixMage: Talking with Lando seems to have done her some good. Was it Lando, or finding out that Luke may be showing up the next day? :) Woah. What's that about? I can assure it involves some serious butt-kicking. [face_laugh]
    J&J: He is just like his father, yet at the same time he's just like his mother. I?ve tried to give him characteristics of both parents, so I?m glad you see them in him. :) I bet if the driods knew what they did last time (in ROTJ) then they'd be happy they were left out of the 'fight'. Threepio definitely ? Artoo would be grumpy he missed out on a lot of the fun. [face_devil] so maybe she'll get better overnight. Trust me, she can sober up by then? I'm always wrong. Don?t be so sure. :D
    Bulldog: Sorry I found that funny for some reason. More of Soontir later, but he?s working with Bryon for now. And of course Artoo is a hero Oh, I agree. But do you think Threepio will ever admit that? [face_mischief] that talk with Lando seemed to do some good Yep. And another talk with a friend next chapter. ;)
    Shinar: Getting shot sure didn't teach Bryon a lesson about being a target He?s got Skywalker and Naberrie blood. He can?t help himself. :p
    C3SoloPO: Feels kinda too cocky to me He?s Anakin?s son? It?s genetic. ;) he had never seen them :eek: Blasphemy! that golden prissy coward droid [face_laugh] Yeah? That?s our Threepio?
    MissPadme: you wrote it well enough where I could hear the familiar Artoo noises and Anthony Daniels's voice Wow, thanks so much. [face_blush] I guess I write the two old married couples well ? A/P and R2/3PO. [face_love] Can she hold it together or will the Skywalker twins have to rescue her? Mara let Luke rescue her? Yo

16. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    I?m writing Lando a bit more like EU Lando rather than ESB Lando. I guess I like the loyal friend side of him more than the sleazy gambler side, and since I put him in the Navy he?s got less of that in this AU. Oh well, he?ll still have his moments later.

Aack! When will I learn to keep my mouth shut? ;) As soon as I'm happy with a character's situation, I have to go and mention it! Now, Lando will do something sleazy and you'll make me sorry I ever had kind thoughts about him. :_|

8-}

17. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    *raises hand*

I vote for more sleazy Lando, please. :D :p

18. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    First, I am torn as to the sleazy Lando thing... ;)

Ok, I've taunted you with the fact that this is coming and I have to deliver...

Your response to mine and Geo3's post set me thinking...

So did JediArwen's....

First, let me say that I fundamentally disagree with the ideas that the Jedi are pursuing a moral agenda. They're amoral. They follow the 'will of the Force.' They are little concerned with good and evil, but with good and bad as defined by aspects of the Force. Thus, good equals self-sacrifice, obediance, supression of emotional ties, focus on the Force and its will, and the internal defeat of hate and anger as motivations. Bad is the oppisite. The Sith, about whom we know less, appear to have similar values, but are ruthless and pursue the use of the Force for personal gain.

These are not good/evil judgments. They're judgements about what is good and bad. I am not arguing that the Jedi and Sith are a certain 19th century German classicist's overmen, but that they are equally amoral.

Of course, the above implies a certain absolutism. There are objective goods and objective evils and gray areas. Morality is not personal in the sense of we as individuals decide the moral correctness of certain acts for the world or even for us. It's dificult, but one must admit that we sometimes do the morally incorrect thing, because we like the outcome. Yes, I believe that Sin exists, and we should be prepared to admit that we sin rather than redefine it for our own purposes.

This leads to decision making...no one wants rogue Jedi, but at some point there is an obligation to act. Let me be very careful how I say this: Societal consensus is a way to reach a popular decision, but not necessarily the correct one. In fact, I am frankly frightened of a world where societal consensus defines what is moral. It might even be worse than current U.S. attitudes of legality being the equivalent of moral correctness.

Turning to my undergraduate field, U.S. History, I must correct what I believe to be a misapprehension that has crept into the argument. There was never, prior to about 1863-1864, a majority consensus that slavery should be abolished. In the North, there may have been a consenus that slavery was wrong, but it was accompanied by a sense that any emancipation would have to be voluntary, gradual, compensated, and involve the expatriation of the freed slaves. Thomas Wentworth Higginson, a Massachusetts Preacher and Union Army Officer, may have said that he would fight slavery until hell froze over and then he would fight it upon the ice, but his position was a distinctly minority one. The Republican platform of 1860 endorsed the 'Never, Never' amendment to the US constitution which would have removed from Congress teh power to end Slavery where it already existed. The historian Samuel Elliott Morrision opined that such an amendment likely would have resulted in slavery existing in at least parts of the South until the 1940s or 1950s. The Civil War was a result of the system's inability to deal with a case of true moral evil in its midst, because of the system's consensus requiring design.

My point, someone has got to stand up and sound the call to action when confronted with evil. Sometimes, that will be a lonely job, and the superstructure of a society which generally appears to ignore such issues isn't necessarily any better a place to make such a decision than the heart and soul of the guy on the ground.

More later....

19. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    I have nothing terribly deep or philosophical to add, just that I'm enjoying the ride for now.

Bryon sure doesn't get any breaks does he? He's back in the thick of things already. It's got to drive his wife nuts, him always being in harm's way like that.

Threepio and Artoo - I agree you've captured them perfectly. I know Threepio annoys some people, but I love him and it's good to see him here. IMO, Star Wars just wouldn't be the same w/o him (and his cheeky little buddy).

Mara, what the heck was she thinking? Oh, yeah, right. She wasn't. One thing about hangovers - you don't want anyone to come anywhere near you, so her defense should be OK the next day. I liked the part about questioning her worthiness for knighthood now that she's there. That is very true to life.

20. Darth_Lex

Nov 17, 2002
    TahiriSoloFan: Now, Lando will do something sleazy and you'll make me sorry I ever had kind thoughts about him. Don?t worry, in this fic Lando will never sell out Han and Leia to the enemy. :)
    Knight-Ander: I?m not sure anything Lando does qualifies as ?sleazy? really ? but certainly as ?Now I see why that lunatic and Han get along so great.? :p
    GunraysLawyer: These are not good/evil judgments. They're judgments about what is good and bad. On this we?ll have to agree to disagree ? there is no question in my mind that the Sith are evil, not merely bad. There are objective goods and objective evils and gray areas. Agreed. The problem is how large the three respective categories are? In real life gray is usually the biggest by far. we sometimes do the morally incorrect thing, because we like the outcome. Agreed. And further we should admit that we?ve acted in a utilitarian fashion (ends justifies means) rather than pretending what we did was morally proper (although of course if what was done was in the gray area that could be open for debate?). I am frankly frightened of a world where societal consensus defines what is moral. And I?m frankly frightened of a world where a very ill elderly, celibate foreigner (to me as an American) who believes he speaks directly for God ? or any one of several ancient holy texts written in and for societies utterly different in almost every way from ours ? or any one of many 19th century European philosophers ? defines what is moral. ;) All things considered, I?d rather rely on society?s views than any of those, plain and simple. So to me it makes perfect sense the Jedi have done the same ? follow the Senate?s decisions except in extreme instances where the will of the Force clearly dictates a different outcome. There was never, prior to about 1863-1864, a majority consensus that slavery should be abolished. The origins of the Civil War certainly aren?t my expertise? I?d just say this: what started as an anti-secession war in 1861 was morally altered (regardless of his actual motives) by Lincoln?s proclamation freeing slaves in the rebellious states in 1863, and by 1868 had resulted in a constitutional amendment abolishing slavery nationwide. Pretty swift change if there wasn?t at least some significant moral outrage opposing slavery even at the beginning. IMHO. The Civil War was a result of the system's inability to deal with a case of true moral evil in its midst, because of the system's consensus requiring design. Agreed. :( the superstructure of a society which generally appears to ignore such issues isn't necessarily any better a place to make such a decision than the heart and soul of the guy on the ground. Perhaps so, but in the GFFA, where the guy on the ground has powers that make the ability to destroy a planet insignificant by comparison? I?d want that guy to be awfully careful before presuming his judgment is superior to the Senate?s or the Jedi Council?s. ;)
    Reihla: I'm enjoying the ride for now Me too! :D Sometimes this philosophy stuff is exhausting? [face_laugh] It's got to drive his wife nuts, him always being in harm's way like that. Probably? More on Sarré?s views of the war later. ;) IMO, Star Wars just wouldn't be the same w/o him (and his cheeky little buddy). I agree completely! I?m probably in the minority, but the Threepio part of the arena battle in AOTC is one of my favorite parts of that whole sequence (?This is such a drag.? [face_laugh] [face_laugh] ) One thing about hangovers - you don't want anyone to come anywhere near you, so her defense should be OK the next day. Fortunately Mara has the greatest water-and-aspirin of all ? The Force. :)

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. :D

21. Darth_Lex

Nov 17, 2002
    Here?s the next post. Enjoy! :D

CHAPTER TWO (Part 1 or 3)

A disturbingly pale-skinned male Twi?lek named Bib Fortuna led the diminutive Ubese bounty hunter called Boushh and his towering Wookiee prisoner down the dark and gloomy corridor of Jabba the Hutt?s palace. As the trio headed in the direction of the throne room the majordomo yammered on in Basic about how pleased his master would be that someone finally had been able to capture the elusive Republic Navy officer. The Wookiee remained silent and the bounty hunter muttered occasional affirmations. That didn?t stop the Twi?lek?s endless ramblings.

Beneath the helmet of her disguise Leia Skywalker?s emotions were running wild.

She bit her lower lip to fight off the initial surge of fear, now that her mission was really underway.

She gritted her teeth in determination to succeed quickly.

She clenched her fists in anger that she had to be here at all.

She took a deep breath when her heartbeat raced at the burst of anticipation that finally she would see Han again.

She frowned at her doubts about whether she had made the right decision to come here.

She smiled at her confidence in herself ? and in her love for Han.

She sighed in frustration that Fortuna simply would not shut up.

Leia bit back her retorts and followed along, speaking only enough to give the Twi?lek the appearance that she was paying any attention at all to him. Which, of course, she wasn?t. In the minutes since entering the Hutt?s palace with Chewbacca she had been thinking only about Han.

It had been a year since he had been torn from her life during the frenzied evacuation of Gimna 3 when the invading Vyhrragian legions conquered the planet. As her transport had flown away she had watched in horror as Han was surrounded by enemy soldiers and taken prisoner. Despite her constant efforts it had taken nearly that entire year to determine whether Han was still alive or where he was being held. Initially she had believed the Vyhrragians had retained custody, but after a time her less reputable contacts back home on Naboo had verified that the Hutt?s bounty on Captain Solo was no longer posted.

Then it had taken additional months to determine that Jabba had not executed Han after all, and to uncover at which of the criminal syndicates many facilities Han was being detained. Just after Luke and Mara had passed their Trials and become Jedi Knights Leia finally had been able to confirm that Han was here, in this palace on Tatooine. Immediately the rescue plan had been put in motion.

For almost a month Leia had been here on Tatooine too, assisting in the preparations for the final stages of the mission. She had taken a leave of absence from her post as Senator from Naboo and had installed as Acting Senator her trusted handmaiden Sarré ? her lifelong friend who was now her sister-in-law and mother of her little nephew Nyklas. By not providing an explanation to her constituents for her departure Leia had taken a considerable political risk ? but not one, she had decided, so great as disclosing the truth.

A Galactic Senator did not infiltrate a gangster?s compound to liberate prisoners. It simply was not done.

But Leia was not any Senator, and she was not about to let the expectations and protocols of her position keep her from doing whatever it took to win Han?s freedom. She loved him. Every day without him had hurt ? more than she had ever imagined it could have. If doing this cost her reelection to the Senate, so be it. Some things in life were more important than career or fame or money.

In Leia?s mind love was definitely one of those things.

Yet Leia could not shake completely her doubts about her feelings. By now she had been apart from Han nearly twice as long as she had known him before his capture. When he fortuitously had joined the rescue team that had freed her from the Sith?s custody on Xixus, something about him had captured her imagination from the

22. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    ?How to shut down protocol droids? Why, I never!?

That was just plain mean, Artoo! [face_laugh]

After all the months - no, years - she?d complained about being denied the chance to take the Trials and earn her Knighthood, it seemed terribly ironic that she felt so unworthy of that title now that she?d acquired it.

:( Chin up, Mara. The night always seems darkest just before it goes completely black... [face_devil]

'Tis always a joy to see the young Whelp of Vader in action... [face_love] [face_love]

EDIT:

I got first post and I didn't even know! [face_shocked]

Well, here is my first review... :)

Han had endured a terrible beating at the hands of a gang of goons

I remember that! :) One of the high-points of HAD for me!

Leia had always thought Threepio had the prissiest voice she had ever heard. Not anymore.

LOL!

I?m really getting caught up in Danaé?s mission.

23. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Leia is doing the bounty hunter gig again, huh? Hope it works better than last time. I enjoyed seeing her introspection about Han. I can understand her feelings. When the right guy comes along, you know instantly - at least I did.

24. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Some things in life were more important than career or fame or money.

In Leia?s mind love was definitely one of those things.

Amen to that.

It didn't take Leia nearly as long this time around to fall in love with Han.

I liked the new plan that Boushh used. Blowing yourself up along with your enemies never did seem like a good plan.

And I liked seeing Danae's confidence as a Jedi, and her qualms about using the Force on a person's mind, even when she knows it's necessary.

Good chapter, Lex.

25. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    That was one of my favorite scenes in ROTJ. "Someone who loves you" I love that line. I guess we'll get to that in the next chapter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.