main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "The Sleeper Has Awakened" - DUNE DISCUSSION-

Discussion in 'Community' started by Snax Rebo, Feb 5, 2017.

1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Found my CoD mini. Watching now

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
  3. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Almost hard to believe this is a real thing!

V-2 and soitscometothis like this.
  4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    If this one doesn't work out I just might live long enough for the next remake. And people say I'm not an optimist.

V-2 and Ramza like this.
  5. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I still have a soft spot for Lynch's film. Yes, it's not a perfect film and has some odd choices but it has great cinematic moments. I love the spice worms.

@Bilbo Fett [face_laugh] they say Bale loves the weight loss challenges.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Juke Skywalker likes this.
  7. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    @ShaneP the lynch dune film is amazing to me. I've probably watched it more than all the Star Wars movies

And that bale thing I took seriously for like a second

8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I even like the score by Toto(OMG I cannot believe I said that!). But yes, there are many things to enjoy about it. The worms really have a sense of scale and largesse. I liked Sting in it at the time but that was because I was a fan of The Police. It is about far out enough to make you wonder what Lynch would have done with a Return of the Jedi film had George really pressed him to do it.

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I think there's bits and pieces of the Lynch film that I liked. I have Kyle MacLachlan in my head now as Paul as I'm reading through Dune: Messiah, as well as the actors for Chani, Jessica and Irulan. The rest of the film's depictions of characters, technology and other stuff though...are too wacky for me.

10. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Jessica was perfect. Duke Leto perfect. Everything was awesome compared to the miniseries minus a few points --

I'll admit Feyd was given a better backstory in the series, larger part but wasn't as compelling as Sting. Comparably though, neither really fit the image of him in the book.

The BG's outfits I liked better, and if those were the Sadukar dress uniforms sure but not combat ones. The guild...
    No.

Irulan was closer to her book counterpart but I liked the film actress better. Bout the only person I liked better was Chani. She fit the bill greatly and had a better part whereas the film underused her.

One thing that bugged me about the series-- how the heck do you say Harkonnen? I remember when the Baron flew up in the series he said it and it bugged me because it wasn't what the movie pronounced it as. Is it the movie way or series way? I prefer the movie pronunciation of the name.

11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Oy. I didn't care for the mini series much.

12. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    A lot was off for me with it but those are the few bright spots.

Wonder if the new film with have Count Fenring?

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  14. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    He used the opportunity to soapbox about aluminum vs plastic but he's doing this for his Dune role. And he dropped an Aquaman reference (Ocean Master would be proud).

And who'd have though that the GoT actor who would hit it the biggest would be Momoa, with just a single season appearance and limited discernible dialog.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, so far. The other GoT actors have just now finished the show. Give them time :p

Anyway, I saw the shaving stuff and figured it was for Dune. Very excited for this movie. I've read the first three books and can't wait to see the big screen vision. I admit I've never seen the Lynch film... Should I watch it?

16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    such a difficult question. It's terrible. It's not exactly a faithful adaptation, but where Lynch does reproduce precise dialogue from the book, that's where the movie is at its absolute worst. The effects aren't any good but are so much better than the acting. Sting might be the best thing about it, but by that I definitely mean "the worst thing about it."

I imagine Peter Jackson's Dune would be worse. George Lucas's Dune would be worse. Steven Spielberg's Dune would be really bad. Ridley Scott? wouldn't want him near Dune.

To make a sci fi movie analogy, Dune is the Kobayashi Maru of sci fi movies. It's an unwinnable scenario by design.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Alpha-Red and soitscometothis like this.
  17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I've always been torn on whether to watch it. I know some people genuinely like it. But I imagine it would be a so bad it's good situation.

AutumnLight91 likes this.
  18. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I love Lynch’s terrible Dune movie and heartily recommend it.

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I don't understand how the effects could be so horrible. This movie came out after Star Wars, and Star Wars still looks great. Wrath of Khan doesn't look bad either today. But Dune?

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I didn't see it at the time - practically nobody did - but I do remember the shops being littered with Dune toys they couldn't sell. They thought they were going to make Star Wars money off that stuff.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I believe I heard Conan O'Brien relate that when he went to see Dune in theatres they were handing out cards for all the terminology and lore in the lobby before the movie and it freaked him out that he had to study for the film.

22. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    It came out after Empire and had more than double Empire's budget.

23. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    The score is about the best thing about the movie. And I had never even heard of Toto before, nor do I know any of their songs. But they really did a good job on Dune. The main theme, prophecy theme, "Paul Meets Chani" or "Big Battle" are amazing. The soundtrack couldn't have been better. I only found the end title music to be pretty weak.

V-2, Bacon164 and Juke Skywalker like this.
  24. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Toto was such a bizarre choice for the score. You half expected the movie to start w/"I bless the rains down in Arrakis." or Paul dancing through the sietch crooning "Meet you all the way, Chani, yeah!". But it's fantastic. Really marries perfectly w/Lynch's take on the material; even if you don't like said take.

25. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017