main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "The Sleeper Has Awakened" - DUNE DISCUSSION-

Discussion in 'Community' started by Snax Rebo, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Boy with KJA on staff that's like the most grimly ominous thing he could possibly say.

Rylo Ken and V-2 like this.
  2. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Dune pt. 1
    Arrakis
    and Dune Pt. 2
    Muad'dib

Right?

3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes. Watch the original cinematic release, then watch the Alan Smithee TV movie version, then watch the longest most gratuitous fan edits you can find. Next, get them all mixed up in your head so you don't know which one was which. Then get Luke Vibert's Amen Andrews Vs Spac Hand Luke album and rock out to Dune sampling jungle techno breakcore whatever.

4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Don't forget the spice so that you can understand what is going on.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    On the list of obscure niche jobs I had no idea existed:

6. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Yeah...its a thing. Kind of a monitor or so. But is it necessary to have this in it at all? I know the mini series did...for whatever reason.

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    lol, does there even need to be a sex scene? (No.) It just seems like a tiresome trope now, and I'd rather my movies not have them.

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I just want Jodorowsky as creative consultant. And Gilmour/Waters/Mason on the soundtrack. And Moebus' storyboards and Geiger's concept art to be adhered to.

IS THAT TO MUCH TO ASK!?

Ramza, V-2 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  9. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    What’s wrong with sex

Glitterstimm and V-2 like this.
  10. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    The chapter in Dune which happens after a time skip starts with Paul and Chani lying together in a tent.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think this film has bigger potential problems than the presence or execution of a sex scene.

Also, lol if anyone thinks PG-13 vs R hinges on how they film a specific scene rather than studio mandate (P.S. it's going to be PG-13 for maximum box office potential).

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Bacon164 likes this.
  12. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Have they still not announced casting for Feyd and Emperor? I would have thought that would happen before filming starts.

13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    @Glitterstimm still nothing. These are supporting roles, but critical ones. Not sure if Villeneuve is struggling to find the right actors or if perhaps he's waiting on particular actors to see if their schedule permits before moving on the plan(s) B. He's really knocked it out of the park w/his cast so far, so I'm confident he'll find good fits here.

I think for Emperor Shaddam you obviously need a seasoned, known actor w/some gravitas, but for Feyd I think it might actually work better to cast an unknown.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  14. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    If I remember correctly from the book, Feyd is a similar age to Paul, so maybe the actor will be fairly young? Although the way spice affects their aging is a bit mysterious.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I loved Lynch's version for the utter drug induced nightmare of a trainwreck that it was. Toto's score is glorious.

16. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Toto's score was the best part I thought.

Juke Skywalker and Bacon164 like this.
  17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

EDIT:

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  18. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    When Dune came out I didn't listen to the radio much, and we didn't have cable TV, so no such stuff as MTV etc., so...

19. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Feyd is a couple of years older. He's 17, while Paul is 15 at the start of the story, which crosses a gap of about two years.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  20. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I must admit I'v always suspect Eno didn't just do the prophecy theme but actually locked Toto in a cupboard and did it all.

Casting wise my main worry is Chalamet, is his Paul going to be too weedy? I mean the character isn't overly macho but is very self assured.

Plot wise I would say the BIG issue is how do you deal with Paul's knowledge of the future? I mean in the book Paul knows he's "won" from the point he kills Jamis and the rest of the story is him trying to unsuccessfully avoid the jihad.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  21. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    In the book, Paul does know he's won, but he doesn't know all the details, and he doesn't know that he'll make it out alive. In fact, he has realized by the start of book three (after the time gap) that he doesn't have to stay alive in order for the Jyhad to occur.

Where his early prescience offered him a wealth of possibilities and no real certainty of which exact path he would be taking, by the point he reaches two years later, his prescience has become a lot less reliable - unreliable enough that he never saw a huge incident in Gurney returning with the intent to kill his mother.

Which is what drives him to take the risk to drink the Water of Life, knowing he could die and fail to stop the Jyhad, or live and possibly search for a way out of it.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    There is too much Toto-ass Toto on that soundtrack for it to be a secret Eno joint.

23. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Some of it like the Take My hand theme over the end credits yeah I'd agree, other parts do sound rather Eno like.

V-2 likes this.
  24. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    dammit don't banish canon content to a specific streaming service.