main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "The Sleeper Has Awakened" - DUNE DISCUSSION-

Discussion in 'Community' started by Snax Rebo, Feb 5, 2017.

1. McLaren

McLaren Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 1, 2002
    The two Houses form a duality. The Atreides are unalloyed good; the Harkonnens unalloyed evil. Because of this, the Bene Gesserit don't consider either controllable (a point made very clear in a later novel) which is why Jessica was to bear a daughter that could genetically bind the breach.

The examples you give are evil but, in a modern-day Earth sort of evil. They're not "I'm the all powerful Lord of Geidi Prime and I'll do whatever I want" kind of depraved evil. It's the difference between a war criminal (Baron 2021) and a serial killer (Baron 1965 and 1984).

The current movie does something similar to Leto. There are several examples where this portrayal of the Duke shows him as someone who is not sure of himself. By showing doubt, he comes across as more approachable/likeable but, less certain of the rightness of his path. (Although, maybe all those images of the bull's head were supposed to communicate his stubbornness?)

By moving the two poles of the duality closer, both Houses begin to look like they are just being Machiavellian Princes. This then lessens the stakes of Jessica's failure or Paul's fate. Given the Reverand Mother's comments on the matter, perhaps that is where they are heading. Maybe we'll see Count Fenring in this telling.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I watched the movie. I thought it was pretty good, but it really suffered from only being part one of two to be completed who-knows-when. Zendaya got a big paycheck for staring and smiling.

So, I've never read the books. I haven't gone through this thread to see if anyone asked, but how should I approach it? Do Frank Herbert's original books provide a satisfying narrative conclusion or do I have to read the, uh, divisive KJA and Brian Herbert sequels? I really don't want to read KJA again.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  3. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    The first book does from my opinion. Haven't read the rest.

4. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    They loved it! Having never read the book or seen any other screen adaptation of it, they got to be immersed in this universe with this phenomenal film, and that makes me kind of jealous of their experience.

My older son Severen and I watched the '84 David Lynch version late last night and he was cracking up at some of the scenes (shield practice really tickled his funny bone) and he actually gasped and had a Leonardo-DiCaprio-pointing-at-the-television moment when he recognized Patrick Stewart and Brad Dourif. He even said "Hey, that's Wormtongue!"

It was awesome.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s made 200 million world wide. It’ll probably make its money back unless it completely falls off

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Luke02 likes this.
  7. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    All we need are VFX finished scenes and I can remedy his mistake

8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Boooooo!

Luke02 and Count Yubnub like this.
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes and no. There are a few natural stopping points in the series, where it'll give you a satisfying ending, but unfortunately, Chapterhouse: Dune is not one of them.
    But you'll be fine if you just read the first three books.

Darth Guy and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, not knowing the details of the books, I'm curious how far this could carry as a franchise. Just going by the fact that it was already adapted, I would assume Children of Dune would be natural as a follow-up (though it'd be tough for them to top Brian Tyler's score for COD, of course). However, I recall that the miniseries actually combined Dune Messiah and COD into one story.

If these stories take 2 films each in most cases to be adapted, that's already 6 films, in theory. That starts to get towards the max of what you might expect to achieve out of the franchise on film- especially if you intend to keep Denis involved.

Anyways, saw it a second time this evening, this time at the full-sized IMAX in Lincoln Square. This film really shows off the massive difference even between IMAX screen sizes, let alone smaller venues. The aspect ratio changed frequently within scenes but they were always gorgeous shots with massive, massive scale. Life-sized sandworms! Or damn near the closest thing you'll ever see.

Really got to give Denis credit for how well he conveys scale in the film, even on smaller screens. It's something few films really manage to achieve. There's a weight to everything. And when the warfare kicks in, these feel like advanced, dangerous, heavy weapons. Overwhelming and devastating and not just there for spectacle.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Dune Messiah is a lot shorter than both Dune and Children of Dune, so it could be done as one film. It'd be possible to end it after that as well.
    Children of Dune is a longer book, but could probably be condensed to one film as well, though there are other issues with that book that would make it hard to adapt (the main characters being nine year old children being the biggest problem).
    While I would love to see them try, I can't imagine God Emperor of Dune being possible to adapt. It's just too out there.

12. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Villeneuve mentioned back in August that he wants to adapt Dune Messiah, though anything after that is a bit up in the air.

13. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Messiah is my favorite of the books; I'd love to see Villaneuve adapt it.

Though I'd also love to see how he'd portray the Preacher at Arrakeen, so CoD would be nice too.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, but even in Machiavellian terms, the difference between a war criminal prince (who’s clearly sadistic - murdering the doctor who helped them infiltrate Arakeen), and the clearly good but slightly unsure of himself prince Leto, is massive.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Simple solution. Make the children older than nine. ;)

16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    That's what they did in the 2003 mini series - James McAvoy was in his mid twenties at the time, playing a teenager.
    There are some thematic issues with that solution, but it can be done.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. McAvoy was quite good. Though another option is to cast really excellent young actors. Malick’s Tree of Life comes to mind, which was really carried by brilliant child actors (first time actors, too, if I recall).

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Tree Of Life was very good. Alejandro Amenábar’s The Others also comes to mind, I thought both of those children were really great.

Anyway, if I recall correctly, the first episode (out of three) of the COD miniseries was basically Dune Messiah. And yes, the novel is less than half as thick as Dune, so they should be able to do that one in one movie to really complete Paul's story, as a movie trilogy.

The2ndQuest and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    This is correct.

There are some brilliant child actors out there, however...
    the titular children of Dune are pre-born - awoken to consciousness in the womb, with all of their ancestral memories. This makes them intellectually and emotionally adult, old even, but in childrens' bodies. It would be very difficult to find child actors who could convincingly act as adults.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    It was a bit odd to me that the villains were Harkenings rather that Har-Conans, and I kept wondering when I’d see Feyd, but I enjoyed it overall. I hope the next part gets greenlit.

Count Yubnub, Ghost and FatBurt like this.
  21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The somewhat reasonable rule of thumb is to stop after Children or God Emperor if you decide to read more than one book in the first place - Dune is actually a pretty solid stand-alone novel. Some people swear by Heretics of Dune, but with the benefit of hindsight it's not worth getting yourself into the mess of the unfinished plot threads, as Chapterhouse is Frank Herbert's worst book and then... well...

I have a really angry rant about those stupid KJA & BH followups somewhere ITT, but it really just boils down to "they're bad writers and they're too interested in wrapping up questionable plot points they introduced in the first place."

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I was glad that they pronounced Harkonnen like that in the film. It's how Herbert said it - it was just one of many, many things the Lynch movie got wrong. :p

Speaking of mispronounced names, a friend of mine is a huge Dune fan, but he insists that Atreides is pronounced "arthritis".

Count Yubnub and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Watched it this weekend at home. I've read the books, but that was a LONG time ago. I thought it was pretty good but not mind blowing. The score irritated me - big drums and sopranos "mourning". That was too predictable, imho.

24. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The first Dune book nearly has the same relationship to sci fi that The Lord of the Rings has to fantasy. Maybe just shy of that. But in any case. If you read Dune that's plenty. If you read Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune you've really done all that can be expected of you. If you read all Frank Herbert's Dune books, fine. Please stay away from any non Frank Herbert Dune novels.

Edit: sorry I should have just qft'd Ramza's post.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Darth Guy likes this.
  25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The irony is that every one of Frank Herbert's Dune novels can serve as an "end" to the series, except the very last one.
    His son claims his "grand finale" to the series he wrote with KJA is based upon hidden notes that his father left behind that no one else is allowed to see.