main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The SMT Costume Help Thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    With all of our upcoming events that involve wearing costumes, I thought it would be a great idea to start a costume help thread where those who are experienced with costuming, sewing, or whatever else can help those in need of advice.

Also, keep an eye out in this thread for upcoming costuming help meetings. They will be announced primarily here, with mentions made in The Rendevous thread as well.

Want to make that Jar Jar costume to annoy the living crap out of everyone?

Post away!!!

2. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    anyone interested in helping me finish my jedi costume? I'm not a very good at sewing and I don't have a sewing machine.

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Which brings me to this question: When do we want to have our first costume help meeting? I'm always hip on sewing.

4. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    "Want to make that Jar Jar costume to annoy the living crap out of everyone?"

Man, they better make it WELL padded!

I suck at sewing, but am pretty good at sculpting and airbrushing. I also know a bit about make-up effects if someone wants to be a non-human jedi.

Lin

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Yeah, I want Traci to be a Twilek Jedi.

QGT dives into foxhole for cover.

Y'all know me....any excuse to create, and I know we could use sculpting help and the likes from you, Lin.

I'd like to remake my Maul costume for Nightmarez.

6. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    That could be cool- you shaving your head?

7. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    lol, Tim you should so shave your head, it'd be awesome. So how soon do we want to get together for costume stuff?

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Well, it would have to be after we're done with the campout for me. I'm pretty much booked until then, unless y'all want to shoot for this Sunday here at the house. Or it could also be included as part of the campout activities.

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    And, no....

I'm not shaving my head.

10. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
  11. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    And, for anyone who prefers to use a credit card rather than needle & thread, places like BuyCostumes have a good selection of adult SW costumes.

(Oooooooo, I just saw the adult Ep.I Amidala red dress.......)

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Joy dropped off a couple of fur pelts today that could be used for costuming.

Thanks, Joy!!

And no, Lin, we won't be making bikinis from them!

13. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Then I guess I'd better cancel my bikini wax appointment!

If you want to have a sewing night I'll see if I can get Darth-Mule to come out. He's got a sewing machine and lots of costuming experiaence- plus he REALLY wants a cloak now after seeing Sal's!

Lin

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I told Kevin that I'd be happy to help him with a cloak for Muley both the full-sized and puppet versions.

15. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    He just go finished with my klown hands. I need to go this weekend and pick up the material for the pants and shirt.

A mule Jedi/Sith...what have we started?!

Lin

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I still want Darth Muley to be our official mascot.

17. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Again I say, "He will join us or DIE, my master."

18. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    FYI - There seem to be a lot of people selling costumes and/or costume parts lately in the Rebel Legion Forums.

19. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Ok, I've got to figure out a SW costume for me. I've ruled out the Jabba, Dengar, Uncle Owen, and slave Leia ones. Since I'm able to do stilts I've been thinking Chewie or a Wampa- but there's NO WAY I could do them in the summer, or most months in Memphis. I'm also to short to do a stormtrooper, unless I do it as Luke!

Any suggestions..?

Lin

20. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    No slave Leia? You're no fun! 8-}

There's always the basic Jedi garb - you can make it any color or style you like. Rebel pilots, troopers and commanders are cool....and Han Solo is always in style.

Check out the "Members" page at this site if you want to see some Good Guy costumes. I don't have a link for the 501st, but I'm sure they're easy to find if you want to look at some of the Imp costumes.

21. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Rebel pilot, hmmm...hey- I could be Porkins!

Ok, maybe not. I'll go check out that site.

Oh, TIM- that spary foam is easy to work wit, but not the most durable stuff in the world! It makes great guts, is cool for filling model kits, but wants to crumble if you touch it. I tried putting a paint wash on a corpse last night and it tried flaking and cracking when I moved the fingers. I'll show you when you come by the haunt.

Lin

22. Ima_Toydarian

Ima_Toydarian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2003
    Hey- not a Star Wars costuming site, but these guys (and gals!) rock!!! Check out http://www.gothampublicworks.com for some killer Batman costumes. If any of you dig the Dark Knight or his villians you've got to see these costumes. There's a GREAT Harley Quinn (a cartoon has never looked SO hot!) and a version of the new black leather/vinyl Catwoman costume (it's not Julie Newmar- but I like!)

Also some shots of the GPW folks with celebs like Mark Hamill, Paul Dini, and the cast from 'Birds of Prey'.

Lin

23. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Anybody know where I can get a good Chewie mask? I'm seriously thinking about doing a wookie/stilts costume. For winter cons/appearaces ONLY!

24. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Dangit - this site won't let me link directly to the page, so try this: Go to the "Forums" page and then to the "Smugglers" forum. Go to page 2 and there is a thread "Chewie costume update." There's a link in that thread to a page of references for making a Chewie costume. Clear as mud? [face_blush] HTH!

25. Ima_Toydarian

Ima_Toydarian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2003
    Thanks for the links. MAN is that going to be a costly costume!!! Maybe I should go for a jawa one instead?!

I did like the fact that they gave different ways of going about making the wookie suits, and custom making your own masks and props. I'll have to do more research on it. I know someone who worked on the Special edition wampa costume. I'll try and give her a yell and see if she has any advice/tips.

Lin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.