main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The SMT Costume Help Thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Well, I've sort-of started. I already have the material for the skirt and I bought patterns for the top & skirt. (Unlike QGT, I can't sew without a pattern....probably why I did so bad in geometry.....I'm not visually oriented and I don't think in abstracts.) I've found material for the top & already have black boots, so now I'm just lacking the belt and cloak.

The belt appears to be brown with some sort of heart-shaped design on it. A guy in in the Costume & Props forum here posted a picture yesterday of the belt that his friend had made, but it looks blue. (??)

2. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    looking at the figure...it has a brown bely with a gold heart shape buckle :)
    John

3. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Yeah, I had to look twice! At first I thought maybe it was some kind if knotwirk, but flipped over the package and there was the heart buckle.

Let me know if you want to be accurate and I can help sculpt one.

4. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    You just answered my next question, Lin! I was gonna ask if you could paint (or sculpt) the design for me. I guess I need to find a brown belt with a rectangular buckle? Or get a piece of leather for the buckle and then just attach it to a belt?

5. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Borwn or black- whichever she wears. I can sculpt on top of it, then paint it gold, brass, or whatever hers is.

6. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    You can get your belt and buckle at Tandy Leather on Madison near Strings N Things. You'll have to dye the belt yourself and the buckle is aluminum in case you have to paint it too. You should be able to get both for under $10

Chuck

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Oh, no..... I have to stay away from Tandy Leather.

If I went there, then I'd want to start doing all of the costume bits that are now cheap vinyl in leather instead, and that would cost a fortune!

What did y'all think I was going to say? :p

8. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    "Stay on target...stay on target!"

Let me know if you need someone to keep an eye on ya if you go!

9. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Thanks for the idea, Chuck! Maybe I can drop by there during the movie that is now my life: Finding Barriss's Cloak.

<walks away muttering curses about Trisha Biggar and the lousy music in Hancocks........>

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I need you to supervise me at Hancock's, Lin. The ladies there are starting to know me by name.

I was going to do the costuming thing tonight, folks, but I ended up spending most of the afternoon and evening at the farm with my Grandfather and family. I apologize for not calling and letting anyone know I wouldn't be doing the sweatshop thing tonight.

11. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    No prob- Cody can wait on that pony!

I was out and about late last night and early this morning. Besides, I figured you might could use a weekend night off from sewing!

I may or may not be able to check the boards or emial tomorrow/Sunday, but give me a yell at home if you want to do anything then. I should be around the house all day. Oh, I think it's my fax that's messing up my answering machine, so I'm going to check that tonight.

Next weekend I'll be out of town Friday and Saturday night, then I'll head back Sunday afternoon and do the Oscar Night party that night. Needless to say I won't be much help next weekend, but I'll be available from then until con whenever you need me.

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm taking tomorrow off, too, Lin. I really need to spend some time doing something domestic other than sewing. My house is a friggin wreck. Of course, it seems like if I bother to clean it, then somehow my kids and my mother-in-law seem to completely trash it when I leave them alone together.

I need a sewing house. Why, oh, God, why can't I win the lottery so I can have some room to pursue my hobbies???

And so I can have a maid to clean my trashed house????

13. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Hey- you hit it big and have any money left over how's about sending that maid to my house when she's finished with yours?! I start working on mine and never seem to get anywhere- too many distractions!

One of these days I want a basement or garage/apt. for my hobbies!

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I thought you had a basement, Lin. Weren't you in a pit down in your basement when you recorded your answering machine message?

I win millions in the lottery, and I'll send Merry Maids your way.

OK, so who's in for this weekend's round of sewing?

15. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I hate that I'm gonna have to miss it! Ok, not too much since I'll be seeing some out of town friends I only get to hang with once or twice a year, but I do want to help with the other costumes. I will be available any weekend after that until MSC, and can probably swing some weeknights if needed.

Oh, I also picked up a few more packs of needles. Let me know if you need any for the sewing machines and I'll snag some of those.

Lin

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I'll appreciate any help I can get, Lin- Especially since I'll need your help with some of Rhonda's costume pieces.

I looked up info on making a static-electricity device yesterday for a possible Palpy costume. I probably should rethink it all before doing anything. I'd need two in order to produce any true static lightning, and I'd have to be careful where I use it. The device is called a Van de Graff generator, and can seriously fry any electronics that are around it if the output is large enough.

Maybe I shouldn't touch this one with a ten-foot pole....

17. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Sounds like something I wanted to use at the haunt- and Todd was afraid the fire marshall would nix it! I was surprized we got away with the spark fence!

Hey, there's always computer effects!

Give me a yell after this weekend and let me know when you want to work on stuff.

Lin

18. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    I'm up for some costum making this weekend. I need to quite being a slacker and get-er-done. Let me know when.

19. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    OK- Costume shop is open this weekend. Both Saturday and Sunday at 1:00 pm.

20. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I'm not sure what time Linwood Blues is supposed to be at the Pink Palace for Oscar Night, but if I'm back in town from Jackson and have time to slide by for a bit I will.

21. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Looks like I don't have to meet up with Kev until 5:45-6pm on Sunday, so I should be by that afternoon- hopefully by 2pm or so. I plan on leaving Jackson by 12-1pm and head that way.

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I appreciate your coming, Lin. I need help with all kinds of costume stuff. If you can remember, please bring me that spray adhesive.

Also, if any of you are in need of costume help, or any of you are willing to hang out and help, brainstorm, advise, etc... then come on over. I'll be glad to see all of you. I know we have a lot of people who are wanting to get costumes together. Granted, I won't have the time to sew something for everyone, but maybe I can get you started. If you have access to a sewing machine, and want to bring it over, then you are more than welcome to do so. I don't have much in the way of space, but we'll make do as we always do. Just remember to bring all of the correct notions and materials with you to work on your project.

I guess we can call this one an official costuming meeting. With MSC only a month away, we'll be doing several of these. (Pretty much every weekend.)

Remember the SMT Sweatshop Motto, everyone!

"Work harder!! Cody wants a pony!"

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Oh, and we'll have to throw in a lightsaber workshop in there sometime, too. I bought some cool stuff to whip me up a new saber.

24. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Hey Tim I might be able to come both days.

Chuck

25. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Cool, Chuck. I'll shoot you some directions.

If I could get everyone to bring some beverages and snacks, that would help a lot. After my last trip to Hancock's, I'm on a serious budget.

And remember: You can still purchase your SMT Hockey Jerseys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.