main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~~The Snake Pit~~~ METAL GEAR SOLID Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Obi-HaCoR, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-HaCoR

Obi-HaCoR Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2002
    Han : Yeah, I am certainly lookign forward to it. I'm hoping that put in a couple good "disarming moves" in there. Ya know, somethign similar to like the game "Dead of Rights". Like grab the soilders arm, and break it, taking the gun for yourself an dhit im with it or soemthing. Some cooling little disarming move would be awesome :)

For those interested in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes , here is a preview from Gamestop.

[image=http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2004/gc/metalgearsolidtwinsnakes/logo.jpg]

[b]Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Preveiw [/b]
    presented by: Gamestop.com

1/09/04

[i]We recently had the chance to try out a new playable version of Konami and Silicon Knights' upcoming Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. The game is essentially a director's cut version of the original PlayStation classic, Metal Gear Solid, and it features completely revamped graphics and enhanced gameplay. Originally revealed at E3 of last year, the game hasn't made many appearances since then and has actually had its release date pushed back, which is now scheduled for March of this year. The version of the game we played displayed quite a few improvements over the one shown at E3--mainly with regard to tighter graphics and gameplay.

The game follows the same story as the original PlayStation version and pits Snake against a terrorist group named Foxhound, which is about to cause a heap of trouble for the world thanks to an experimental nuclear weapon called Metal Gear Rex, as well as some prototype army equipment. Improvements and changes made to the new offering are clearly evident the minute you start a new game, as it features a completely overhauled introductory sequence that combines the full-length intro of the original along with some supplemental mission briefing. The basics are still the same: A voice-over from Colonel Campbell fills you and Snake in regarding the current situation, and it also outlines the various Foxhound members you'll be encountering. At the same time, a montage shows "the stealthy one" as he preps for his mission and is eventually dispatched from the sub.

[image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/589712_20040109_screen002.jpg]

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes features completely revamped graphics and enhanced gameplay.
    When you finally gain control of Snake, you'll have to stealthily make your way around patrolling guards and take an elevator up one level. As before, you'll find a few items, such as the M9 pistol and some rations, if you choose to explore your surroundings. Fans of the original game will notice that Snake handles a bit more slowly than he did in the PlayStation game when moving through water. This feature has been included in the updated version to compensate for the effects of water resistance. If you choose to take out the guards, you'll notice that some of the gameplay elements from Metal Gear Solid 2 have been incorporated into the game, including first-person shooting and the ability to drag bodies into lockers. Later in the game you'll also be able to hang from ledges, which offers some new options for gameplay. You may also notice that the AI has been fine-tuned so that it's a bit more reactive and poses a greater challenge to you as you go about your business. In some cases, your foes won't let you slink away, and, in fact, they'll even pursue you or lob grenades at you.

The game handles quite well, and the GameCube controller is definitely up to the task of a Metal Gear Solid game. You'll toggle your weapon and inventory on and off by using light presses of the triggers. Pulling them all the way in lets you select new items for use. The Z trigger brings you into first-person mode. The codec sequences, during which Snake receives information from his team, have been updated to reflect the new control scheme. Furthermore, the new gameplay elements are folded into the experience rather well, although we will say that the first-person shooter view definitely makes some boss fights--such as the battle wit

2. HaN___DoLO3

HaN___DoLO3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2003
    For those interested there's a new Twin Snakes trailer, ready for download at IGN :D

It's a whopping 27 minutes long. :eek:

You can find it here: Clicky

3. cjyoda78

cjyoda78 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2003
    IN your opinon which snake/big boss is the best soldier?

4. HaN___DoLO3

Jan 6, 2003
    Well if Big Boss spawned "Les Enfants Terrible" clones, I'd say he would be the superior soldier.

But Snake is still bad @$$. :D

5. Obi-HaCoR

Jul 13, 2002
    I downloaded it (the 27 minute trailer) but it keeps giving me problem when I try to watch it :_|

*continues to try*

6. HaN___DoLO3

Jan 6, 2003
    I couldn't get it to work either, Obi. :(

But then again, my girlfriend's computer is a heap...

7. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I read a really good article on MGS3 the other day in a UK PS2 mag...the screenshots make that game look good but it looks like it's definitely Big Boss and not Solid Snake you play as...who technically is Solid Snake because that's who everyone's favourite Snake was created from...

The funniest thing about the article was it's constant reference to Raiden as a "ladyboy" :p

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, whaddaya expect. Raiden was a whiny, annoying little b!+$#. Oh yeah, and utterly whipped by his (nonexistant?) girlfriend. I almost expected him to break out in tears when things were at their worst. Some playable character he was. [face_plain]

9. Obi-HaCoR

Jul 13, 2002
    For all of you over in Europe area, I figured yo umight all want to read this little article :) Also, for us U.S fans out there........the release date of Metal Gear: Twin Snakes .

[i] [b]Twin Snakes dated for Europe [/b]

Konami of Europe announces that it will release Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on March 26.

Konami of Europe has today announced that it will release Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes in Europe on March 26, only a few weeks after it arrives in North American stores. The game will ship on two discs in packaging featuring an exclusive image by lead artist Yoji Shinkawa.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is the result of collaboration between series creator Hideo Kojima, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, and Canada-based Silicon Knights. The game is loosely based on the original Metal Gear Solid PlayStation game, but boasts an updated storyline and lots of additional features.

Twin Snakes, is currently scheduled for release in North America on March 4. [/i]

[hr]

March 4th [face_shocked].........man, thats like right aroudn the corner.

10. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I cant wait to get Twin Snakes

And are some people still debating the Snake/Big Boss playable character thing?

11. HaN___DoLO3

Jan 6, 2003
    Twin discs? Just like MGS for PS1??

Sweet!

I also can't believe that some people are unsure of Big Boss being the main character in MGS3.

There will be some surprises, but this is Kojima's "how a good guy goes bad" story. Much like the SW prequels.

The end of the E3 trailer always makes me think about Episode III. ;)

12. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I really liked Raiden. He was a total but job and he kicked major arse. A much more dimensional character than Snake (and I love Snake).

Yet many gamers have a problem with him because, you know, he wasn't a one man terminator... even though it was "for lack of a better word" his first assignment. He acted like any one who is thrust into soemthing huge for the first time would react.

I think many, not all, gamers try to over compensate for something by wanting the main characters in games to be over the top bad exagerrated bad asses.

:p

13. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Thanks for the article Obi :D

Raiden was okay but I spent the entire game hoping I'd get to play as Snake again because he IS cool and doesn't have girly hair. I mean, sure it's long but it looks TOO cool ;) Raiden was just...an unwelcome surprise but I did get through the game.

No, the MOST annoying character was Rose. Ugh, I wanted to take my socom to her head everytime she opened her yapper...

14. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Whoa!

Rose was a total hottie, man.

She looks like that actress that's on that show, "Angel".

15. JediMasterKitFisto

Aug 27, 2002
    Raiden was horrible. He looked, sounded, and walked like a girl.

and in Snake Eater who is the guy on the bike?

16. HaN___DoLO3

Jan 6, 2003
    ^^^^^

That will be a Kojima twist, for sure. :)

I read somewhere, that some gaming magazine or site thinks it's Grey Fox. But that doesn't sound right... [face_plain]

17. JediMasterKitFisto

Aug 27, 2002
    yeah I read that, but I think Grey Fox is too young to be that guy.

18. HaN___DoLO3

Jan 6, 2003
    Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but Grey Fox would probably be around the same age as Solid Snake.

19. cjyoda78

cjyoda78 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2003
    you can pre-order snake-eater at a couple different places, and the display only box refers to the main character as snake...

also if big boss is the main character like most of us believe and snake isn't born yet, then neither would grey fox if indeed they are the same age. i think its possible hes older, kinda like snakes role model, and friend,

and i can't believe riaden has some fans!! evryone i talk to would rather have mgs2 be snake at the big shell, not play as the he-she riaden

20. JediMasterKitFisto

Aug 27, 2002
    yeah, I'm pretty sure that Fox is about the same age as Snake. Maybe a little older but not old enough to be the dude on the bike.

And i was thinkng about Ocelot. Was he ever with Big Boss?

21. HaN___DoLO3

Jan 6, 2003
    That's some good thinking, Kit!

Ocelot has been a staple in the MGS storyline...

22. tim500

tim500 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    That just confirms my buy of Twin Snake!!!

Twin Discs?

Forget SOCOM 2; I'm getting this instead.

23. HaN___DoLO3

Jan 6, 2003
    I'm not sure if some of you have already seen the Metal Gear that will appear in MGS3 so I'm posting it:
    [image=http://home.iprimus.com.au/zaro/MGS3_crapgear.jpg]

[image=http://plaza28.mbn.or.jp/~projectitoh/kojimaniax/mgs3_mech/mgs3_mech_01.jpg]

:)

Looks pretty sweet to me!

24. JediMasterKitFisto

Aug 27, 2002
    yeah, I think about MGS a lot. I love the series. And I'm still mad that Metal Gear 2 never released in the US.

And I want to know how The Patriots are gonna tie into all of this. They cant make the sequel without the Patriots after MGS2

25. HaN___DoLO3

Jan 6, 2003
    Next to SW, MGS3 is what I think about most (from an "entertainment" standpoint). Sad but true. :(

But I find it hard to theorize about MGS because Kojima is so unpredictable...

I do hope we play as Big Boss in MGS3 because I'd really like to see what makes him tick. Where did this amazing soldier and hero go wrong?

To me, it's really intriguing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.