main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Society of Writers Ignored (four readers or less)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Cam_Mulonus, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    Like I said before, tell me where it's loacted and I'll read it. I can't read it if I don't know where it is, now can I?

2. lordmaul13

lordmaul13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    emimar, follow the link in Cam's sig.

Hey, Cam, I'll read your story. It may take awhile before I post (I want to read the whole thing before posting a reply).

lordmaul13

3. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Have you tried posting a "want add" for a beta reader on the WR? Or going to the Beta Training Academy and asking there? The WR is a good place to find beta readers. Interact with a lot of other writers here (and not just in this society ;) ).

Another probelm might be that the story is OC. My first one was, too, and it didn't draw much attention. There's not always a very good reader base for OC stories. A lot of people want to see their favorite characters at least for a line or two. ;)

And about your peers getting more readers than you? It just happens. Some people start more slowly. Ever heard of Amidala_Skywalker A.K.A Empress Amsie, or maybe you've heard of AngelQueen? I was registered (with my first screenname) before they were, and they were both smash hits in like, a few months. It took me longer. Sometimes it just happens. But sooner or later, if you keep writing and trying to improve your writing, (And keep following those tips...they work eventually!) then you will get readers. Don't freak out. You're not the first and certainly not the last. One day you'll be giving this same advice to some frustrated newbie. ;)

4. Mistryl

Mistryl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2003
    I've been writing for the past year and I'm almost stopped because I got no feedback. When I finally did I'm glad I didn't quit. I do most of the work without a beta reader and it took me almost a year to get where I am, my website has about 100 hits every two weeks. I know how it gets depressing, I've been writing since last March, not here but at ff.n and I didn't get a single bit of feedback. Even now few people give me feedback even though I'm currently working on my 23rd piece of fanfiction. I still get very few reviews but I am getting some. Although Union and Sins of the Father were really big hits, my one true story is a saga that is hardly known.

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I do have another recommendation. If you are writing an Original Character story- in your opening post, write out the list of characters in the story. You don't need to say much about them- but just give brief descriptions:

First lastname: Human, Jedi knight
    first lastname: Gamorrean Guard, belly dancer

This is a great way to immediately get people's attention and introduction to your characters who are new, and worthy of joining the SW universe. Check out the opening link for my story "To Court A Queen" as an example. I spent, probably as long on my introductory post as I did many of my chapters. (No - I'm not soliciting more readers- just trying to be helpful.)

Also a brief synopsis- or trailer teaser is helpful.

Remember- on the Fanfic boards, there's nowhere to advertise your stories other than the usual places. Fanfic stories come w/o dustjackets and there are no cool covers to grab people's attention while wandering aimlessly around B&N. You need to be author and marketing manager all rolled into one.

You really want to concentrate on that first post in your story- because if that fails to grab a reader's attention- they won't stick around.

6. shadesaw

shadesaw Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Hi, I have found a hard time getting my fan fic "The Journey." The problem is that I have posted my fic about three times out of frustration. People had said that it was good but needs work mostly grammer and things like that. Can I post some of it here? It is on the saga part fan fic forum. Please go over there and read the two part I have. People are getting mad that I have post my story so many times.

7. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Well, you'd probably better find a beta reader, actually. Post a thread saying "I need a beta reader..." then say in the thread what your story is about and see who wants to beta for you. Beta readers are your best friends...they rip your story apart and force you to put it back together again...so in the end, it looks, sounds, feels, and is a better quality than it was. And quality attracts readers.

8. Mistryl

Mistryl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2003
    I have to agree with Emmi, if grammer is the problem get a beta reader

9. shadesaw

shadesaw Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Where do you post to get a beta reader.

10. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Here on the Writers' Resource Forum. There's a beta index you can go to, and I also believe that on the Official Archive, there is a mailing list that you can send an email request to. I've used it once or twice, and gotten up to five offers to beta when I only needed one.

-Emmi

11. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    I love stories with original charators in them. I write them alot myself. I find that they are generally much better written than ones with charators from the novels, and flims.

12. jedi_enigma

jedi_enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 16, 2002
    ::pokes head in.:: Hmm...Interesting a place for writters with only a few readers to vent...I LIKE IT!

I have two stories running here. One I have had truely only one reader who has posted just about the whole way with it, one dropped out for a while and has come back, so I really only have two on that one. And my second one I only have posted a few times so I am not going to complain about the fact that only two people have reviewed. ::Shrugs.:: Anywho. I think I am gonna come back here. It is nice to see other writers who know how it feels not to have many readers.

:D

13. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    jedi_enigma, I'll read your stories very soon. :)

As for being ignored, well I seem to be not being ignored, but I'll stick around and help you writers become less ignored ;)

And now I'm repeating myself. Must remember not to drink so much on a Monday night.

14. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Always remember grammar and capitalization, too. Even when you're writing normal posts. If I see someone around the boards who's normal posts don't use any capital letters, I tend not to look at their stories. The way a person tends to be a reflection of their writing.

15. tatooinewizard

tatooinewizard Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2003
    I don't know if I belong here, so you'll forgive me--hopefully--for trespassing. I'm pretty new to this website, and I'm editing a piece of fan fiction and looking for beta-readers. I'm having a hard time finding people to work with me. If there were any here I was hoping that one of you would help me out. I've been working really hard on my piece nearly the entire year. I'm not a real fan fiction person, just somebody who wants to be a professional writer more than anything in the world. I was thinking that this fan fiction/ internet thing would be a good thing for me. Pretty stupid, but then I am. I love Star Wars a lot. I wasn't going to write fan fiction for it because I didn't want to tamper with something that was really good. But then I got an idea, and I'm a maniac when that happens. Nobody'll probably want to read my story anyway. It's long; 120 pages thereabouts, with two sequels forming in my head. It takes place in the Old Republic with characters that nobody knows. Mainly I go to worlds and cultures that nobody knows. So much for my bright ideas and I think it's a good story too. I've put so much work into it, and other things. You guys haven't had many people look at your work, so I'm willing to read over your posted stories. How dare I ask for something without offering anything in return? Although my opinion isn't worth much. I figure I'm going to get ignored if I ever get posted. I'm not much of an optimist. Sorry I've intruded.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Just a quick word of encouragement...

I have a 'fair amount' of readers, and have even had a piece or two picked up by TFN's archive... BUT do you know how many readers I had for my first story?

TWO.

;)

My biggest peice of advice? Keep writing, and keep supporting eachother... Don't give up...

17. lordmaul13

lordmaul13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    tatooinewizard

You seem pretty hard on yourself in your post. Don't beat yourself up so much. And don't feel like you're intruding or unwelcome because everyone is welcome.

There are many ways to get readers (and a lot have probably been said in this thread already). The best way (I think) is to take the time to make some friends by commenting in their stories and then ask them if they'd be interested in reading yours.

Anyway...

If you decide to post your story then please PM me or somehow let me know. I'll read it. :)

lordmaul13

18. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Don't be hard on yourself, tatooinewizard! Ask for a beta reader on this forum, or go to the beta index...it's a great place, and it's right here on Writer's Resource. I'm sure you'll find something. And be heartened; I've never read your work, but I know even the best writers have their rocky starts. And I'm sure your work isn't anywhere near as bad as you're making it out to be. Anyone who has the endurance to last 120 pages has my respect! I've been writing for four years, and it has taken blood, sweat, and tears to get my baby to produce thirty-five pages. And that's pushing it. Kudos to you for going so far with your ideas!

19. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    Thanks EmilieDarklighter for the vote of confidence. Anyway just to let you know, though it probably sounded like it, I don't think my work is bad. I love it. Just wonder if anyone would ever like it. This 120 pages was the first time I ever got through a story without blocking.

20. jedi_enigma

jedi_enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 16, 2002
    I would like to beta for you tatooinewizard! :) You can e-mail it to me! :D
    Thank you Spike2002! I look forward to hearing from you! :)

21. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    See! You already got a beta! *grins*

22. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    I'd like to thank everyone who either had encouraging words or offers. I'm grateful for everything. Anyway I still think I need another beta reader. I'm going to post a new thread, with the first scene of my story in it, sort of like advertising. Is that a good idea or just too big-headed of me? I also promise to start checking out some of you people's fan fiction. Thanks again.

23. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Tatooinewizard: I think you've been too hard on yourself too. I will be looking over your work too.

jedi_enigma: Will be leaving replies soon. :)

24. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    Thanks, Spike2002. Anyway how's the prefered method? I'm really new to message boards in general, not just this one, and this is the first time I've ever gotten a response from anybody. About my story, what's the best way to let you--or anybody else who wants to read it--see it? E-mail, private messaging, posting pieces? Anyway I'm my usual confused self, so I'm placing an order for explanations so I can be more convenient.

25. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    I guess most of that prior message can be ignored. After a good look around the Confused One has decided to post the first sliver of 'The Legend of Black Saber', book one of what is fast becoming an epic. Anybody interested can go look. I've been trying hard to find the fan fiction of the people here. I've been somewhat successful, and what I've read so far is good. Keep up the good work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.