main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

The SongFic Challenge Thread! ~*~The Killer's are up 3/06/06~*~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ToneDeafVader, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToneDeafVader

ToneDeafVader Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2004
    SarkaVrae & VadersMistress will be your hosts as we explore a challenge we have all secretly longed for...The SongFic Challenge!!

The Rules:

*This is a simple challenge thread. The sock will post a song and all those who wish can write a songfic using the song. No awards are given, all who wish may participate. There is no deadline to post on any of the songs, do so as you wish when you wish. This is simply a challenge to see how creative we can all be using the same song. Will we all post a story about the same thing or will we see a different scenario or character and post dramatically different songfics? :D We will have to wait and see.

*The hosts will post a new song as a challenge every 2 weeks using the official SongFic Challenge Sock: ToneDeafVader. No other user may post a song in this thread to issue a challenge. However, we do encourage your ideas, input, and suggested songs. If you think you have a good song to suggest we use (or if you are trying to get rid of a rabid plot bunny songfic idea), please PM the sock with your suggestion(s). The hosts will have the final say in what songs are posted as challenges. Please include the song title, artist name, lyrics, & album name. If you do not know any of the aforementioned information, please tell the hosts.

~Have fun. Remember, this is a challenge. Write what you want, in any era, any character, any situation. Please just stick to the song as a guideline.~

2. ToneDeafVader

ToneDeafVader Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2004
    First SongFic Challenge:

When All Around Has Fallen
    by delirious? Cutting Edge 1997 Furious?Records

When all around has fallen
    Your castle has been burned
    You used to be a king here
    Now no one knows your name

You live your life for honor
    Defender of the faith
    But you?ve been crushed to pieces
    And no one knows your pain

Come, come, lay your weary head
    Be still my friend
    Come, rise, I?ll place my sword upon your shoulder
    Come, rise with me[/]

When tomorrow has been stolen
    And you can?t lift your head
    And summer feels like winter
    Your heart is full of stone

Though all your hopes have fallen
    Your skin is now your only armor
    Wear your scars like medals
    Defender of the faith

O come, come, lay your weary head
    Be still my friend
    Come, rise, I?ll place my sword upon your shoulder
    Come, come, lay your faithful head
    Be still my friend
    Come, rise with me

Write! Write! Write! Mwahahahahaha! [face_devil]

3. Darth_Suzi

Darth_Suzi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2004
    Sounds cool. :)

Where do we post? Here, or on the respective boards?

4. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I would, but, I mean, come on, Delirious.

5. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Oh, something right up my alley!

6. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    DarthSuzi, Where do we post? Here, or on the respective boards?

Good question. SarkaVrae and I will discuss this and get back to you as soon as we can. :D

AnakinsHeir, great! You do great work so I am looking forward to reading what you do.

7. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    Good question, Darth_Suzi--post your response to the SongFic Challenge in the respective board, and put a link in here. We'll keep an index once we've got replies. :D

Cobranaconda What's wrong with delirious? we thought we'd try things that are different. If you have suggestions, please PM the sock! :D

AnakinsHeir--I'll be expecting TONS of suggestions from you!! You are the most songfic-writing-author I know! ;)

now, go! write! enjoy! :D

8. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Looks awesome! *swats rabid plot bunnies* It's cool that you used a Delirious? song! They're a cool band! :)

9. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    I have never done a song fic, but I am trying to do new stuff that I'm not acustom to. So I may give this a shot, it depends on weather or not the plot bunnie that I have going for it turns out alright or not.

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I've always wanted to do a songfic.

Thanks, Jody! Now I finally have some motivation.

*Sees massive fic backlog that's glowering at him* Or not...

11. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    I don't think I've heard of that group, let alone the song. Darn. Are there types of songs we shouldn't submit, like any from a particular genre or from before we were born or any at all if our initials are DF?

12. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    You don't have to know the song and/or band to participate in the challenge. The song is right there--if the words inspire you or produce rabid plot bunnies dancing in your head, then write it out and show us what you did (post a link). If it doesn't, then don't. No biggie. There will be more songs, so be sure to keep checking back! :)

Great to see the response so far! :D This really should be a lot of fun!

13. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    I too am unfamiliar with the above song and artist. I have, however written a rather chilling songfic but based on another song and artist. I'd be willing to share if you open it up to a more general challenge. Good luck to the rest. :)

14. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    I usually have to know the tune of the song to help me out with the tone of the story. Ya know, lyrics can only take you so far. ;)

Anyway, if it were a song I knew I'd definitely try it. So when a song comes around that I know, I'll try it out. :)

15. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    I wasn't complaining about it being a song I don't know; most songs from the last ten years or more would fit that description. :confused:

I just wanted to make sure that if I submitted a song -- say "MacArthur Park" -- I'd get a response other than "You're a raving nutter, you know that?"

16. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    not at all, Drabbo. Though we aren't going to promise that every song that is suggested will be used, we will try to incorporate a wide variety. I like thinking outside the box, so "crazy" songs like that will definately get my attention. :D

17. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Uhm, Drabbo, honey? You're a raving nutter no matter what song you suggest. And we all know it! We love you, but I mean, really, we all know you're insane. Not that it's a bad thing, some of my best friends and most beloved family members are several cards shy of a full deck. :D

18. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    [face_laugh] well, Drabbo...it seems that a reputation is preceeding you in here. I'll have to see for myself if it's true or not, but feel free to contribute, m'kay? :D

19. CodyMonKenobi

Jan 29, 2001
    I have mine finished. It was my first song fic. and I had a lot of fun doing it. I will post a link whenever I post it.

20. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Cody, =D=

Drabbo, we will not judge your insanity by the song you submit. I mean, we know what a raving nutter you are. No question about it. [:D]

21. CodyMonKenobi

Jan 29, 2001
    Well here it is.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=17818335&replies=0]When All Around Has Fallen[/link]

Please keep in mind when reading it, that I have never written any songfics, and I have never heard the song. So go easy on me. :p

I am just kidding, give me all you got.

22. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    This looks like it might be fun. I generally do pretty well with songfics.

23. CodyMonKenobi

Jan 29, 2001
    Go for it KareBear. I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with. What I wrote for the songfic, wasn't my original plot bunny for the song fic. I wanted to do something, that no one else would do.

24. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    Cody--that was a great first post to our challenge! good job! :)

25. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I'm working on one as we speak. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.