main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The ST: What Would You Change/Revise?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EzraSnoke, Dec 27, 2017.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sounds like they needed a clearer vision and/or direction. Having a 30-year-old depict what Johnson called a “metaphor for adolescence” (or similar, not sure the exact quote) is ridiculous. If we see a 30-year-old behaving like an adolescent in our world, the reaction is generally, ‘Grow the hell up.’ Not ‘That’s normal, he or she has been in adolescence for the past 18-19 years.’

Making Kylo 10-12 years younger and behaving that way, while his behavior would still be awful, would at least be more understandable in relation to development.

2. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I was never a fan of the destruction of the Academy and the New Republic, but if it had to happen, it should have played far more importance then what we really got.

Have TFA start with an intact Academy and Rey is a student of Luke’s. Let us actually see Ben Solo instead of the brief appearance in TRoS.

He should fall to the dark side not on Academy grounds. Near the end of the film the Academy is attacked by the First Order with some survivors escaping.

The destruction of the New Republic could happen in the next film.

Add a few year gap between both films. It’s unfortunate how short the ST era is between TFA opening and TRoS ending.

3. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Because Han and Leia were in that honeymoon period for a few months after the fall of the Empire?

Doompup likes this.
  4. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    One thing I would change in Rise Of Skywalker is that when it's time for Leia to reach Ben, Luke speaks to Leia, telling her she must try to reach Ben now or they will lose Rey. A bit like in the novel, but just the once.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Nhisso

Nhisso Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2020
    Well, what I want wouldn't have worked in the end because Fisher died in real life, but i thought the handling of Solo and Leia was, frankly, despicable. I read that Ford hates being Han Solo, and hates that people equate his biggest role as Solo and therefore call him Han Solo and what not and so he wanted the character to die. I don't know if it's true or not. But I do know that I was geeking out seeing Han and Chewie and they were the best part of the entire sequel trilogy. By far!

I would have loved for Han to have made it, at least til ep 9 if not for the entire series. I wanted to see Han and Leia, if not rekindle their romance, at least fight side by side again. And Ford was the only fun part of the first movie, especially his banter with Finn.

I'd change the pathetic lack of build up to every thing in 7:
    - Ok, cool. Han was impressed with Rey and wanted to give her a job. "oh em gee what a father figure she never had!!!" Come on, that was ridiculous. Her viewing him like that should have happened at the end of 8 or 9 with Han's death, not in 7. Again, could be Ford's fault, I dont know. But, JJ Abrams is just a miniature Michael Bay so it's just "go go go" all the time in their movies and it sucks.
    -Han and Leia are just like "aayyy buddy long time no see, yeah?" I didnt want their drama to dominate the sequels, but damn, that was such a let down.
    - Finn and Poe had a harrowing ordeal together, but they acted like old battle buddies who served together for the entirety of a war or for several years. Poe just comes back out of no where lol. I knew he'd survive just because of the way the actor seemed so big league in the movie. I had never seen or heard of the guy btw, before TFA. But I instantly knew he wasn't going to die in the first movie of a planned trilogy.

Kylo's temper tantrums were cringey and portrayed poorly. His voice under the helmet was unbearable. I was floored when I heard it. Im glad i didn't see the seqs in theater because his voice would have made me leave. I bet it just boomed in the speakers. Sounds like his helmet is always broken lol. He was one of the most unconvincing bad guys I've ever seen. Worse than Thomas McGregor from Peter Rabbit playing an First Order general (lol). So Id change Kylo completely. I dont know what they were going for with portraying Ren as some emo, nerdy looking brat. I really don't, but it was embarrassing and so out of place. And yeah, no expenses should have been spared to pay Cumberbatch or dude from Lie to Me, or someone else to play the first order general. Because Peter Rabbit dude was just awful. I kept expecting him to bust out in to slapstick comedy.

Lastly, I would have changed Wedge Antilles' role to be much greater. He deserves it; both the character and actor.

wobbits and PendragonM like this.
  6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I saw Harrison's episode of "Inside The Actors Studio" with James Lipton, where he explained that it took him a long time to figure out how to deal with the super stardom that comes with being in huge blockbusters like Star Wars and Indiana Jones - because he's a very private sort of person and mostly prefers working on projects that don't draw that much attention to themselves, or at least don't draw too much attention to him specifically. That doesn't mean he dislikes playing Han or Indy (It wouldn't make much sense for him to return to those roles if he did), he just hasn't been very comfortable with the sort of attention those roles have given him.

But if you look at everything he's done lately and how he's tackling it - movies, interviews, Star Wars events etc - you'll see that he seems to have reached a point in his life where he can somehow embrace it all, in his own grumpy-with-a-twinkle-in-the-eye sort of way. He's taking it all in stride and seems to really enjoy himself.

The idea of killing off Han was always about giving the character some real gravitas; a greater purpose in the story. It's not that he wanted the person Han Solo to die, but he wanted to see the character add some real emotional weight and felt that there was nothing left for Han to do, so why not let him go out in a big way and make the ultimate sacrifice for his friends?
    Sort of.

So you can probably rest assured that Harrison Ford wouldn't mind your geeking out over Han and Chewie :)

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  7. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Yeah and I'm sure he is also having no problem embracing those super stardom paychecks on today's pay scale as well. lol

Gharlane and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  8. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    The modulated voice effect thing was better in The Rise of Skywalker, much clearer I thought. But you're right, the effect isn't great. He sounds really bunged up and nasally, as if he has a bad cold under that thing. The worst example is the short period he wears it for in The Last Jedi, because he has cranked the modulation up to maximum it seems. No wonder Snoke tells him to take it off, he probably can't understand a word he is saying!

9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Kylo's helmet voice is one of the reasons I fell in love with the character in TFA. It's awesome!

It sounds like crap in TLJ, though.

10. Darth Geezy

Jan 29, 2016
    I have never been into the books and comics, but I am almost positive I read somewhere that Ren's helmet voice is intentionally choppy in the story, because he built it poorly. The same rings true for his light saber - he didn't properly set his crystal.

It's all a part of his entire wannabe Vader story arc.

That said, for the record, I thought it sounded awesome. The first time I heard him talk, I was impressed with it, similar to the first time you hear Bane on the Dark Knight Rises. Those characters' voices really resonate well with theater sound, at least for me.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Lulu Mars likes this.
  11. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Maybe that is why the helmet voice sounds better in The Rise of Skywalker, Kylo has had a year to get his screwdrivers out and fix it.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    That, or Sith Chimp was like “this helmet was crap before you smashed it! Here, while I’m putting it back together...”

13. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I would have created an ST story that follows the thread that Filoni talks about in this video:

wobbits likes this.
  14. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I wished there were more alien language. No new lien words. No new bantha poo, poodoo, and bombad. I always enjoyed dialog in Huttese I think (ROTJ, TPM).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    I wish there were more aliens. The Sequel Trilogy felt very humanoid-centric to me. There wasn’t much to rival Tauntauns, the Rancor or the Lovecraftian awesomeness of the Sarlacc.

Even the creatures they did have felt very Earth-like. Horses, foxes, puffins etc

That’s why the omission of the Oracle from TROS was a disappointment, that thing sounded weird.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  16. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Agreed. "Earth-like" is perfect description. It's a horse, maybe mixed with rabbit maybe just woolly, but still a horse. It's a fox, only made of ice or something, but still a fox. Etc.

Count me in for being disappointed by the Oracle omission. Really interesting design and the scene seemed like something out of Neverending Story (the marshes, weird creature spouts some wisdom).

17. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    But at least they were “real” puppets right?

Deliveranze likes this.
  18. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Oh yes, we have real props! real puppets! That matters more than coherent story, strong characters and exciting new creatures. ;)

Miles Lodson likes this.
  19. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Agreed on how Han and Leia were handled being despicable (also how Luke was handled. Also that Luke, Han and Leia were never reunited).

They all signed, for all three. JJ's the one who killed off Han and he took credit for it. He also brought up the "he wanted to die in ROTJ" in the Vanity Fair interview pre TFA so he covered himself and I've now spent five years pointing out that NOWHERE does it say that Ford would only come back for one movie (he signed before Hamill and they all got paid for three movies) or that he only came back to die. But it's "conventional wisdom" by now and any time anyone says it and I challenge them to come up with a cite, they never can.

I also agree with your opinion on JJ!

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  20. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I would have preferred if the Skywalker sabers were not buried in the sand on tatooine.

Instead kept to be used by future Jedi.

Then again the fact that they weren't destroyed and Rey knows where they are, means they might show up again.

21. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    I don't know if I was totally sold on Kylo's cross-saber. On the one hand I like the medieval theme to Kylo in TFA but on the other, it is just really impractical looking. I liked the ragged blade though. I can't help feel that it was devised just so that JJ could do that "One - two" ignite thing that Kylo did in the forest waaaaaaay back in December 2014 when they gave us that TFA glimpse teaser.

22. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    I would ditch Rey being a Palpatine and taking the Skywalker name. I would have Ben survive and live in exile on Ahch-To ("See you around, kid.")

23. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    ST was never meant to be a (heroic) trio movie going by TFA and they should have ditched this idea instead of forcing it in TROS (where it played like a dumb video game). Also connected to this: #airlockPoe. Sparing him was the worst decision.

24. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    Agree on shoehorning trio into final film. If they were trying to recapture the chemistry of the OT trio it didn't work, because the three of them spent no time together in the first two films. Rey has no contact to speak of with Poe in TFA and about two seconds in TLJ.

I did like Poe and 3PO together. They had some amusing lines. I liked the speeder chase with the droids on board.

25. Darth Geezy

Jan 29, 2016
    Wish we had gotten another episode of a Han, Rey, Finn trio. I thought they all played well off of each other, and it did a good job of mixing old with new.