main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The ST: What Would You Change/Revise?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EzraSnoke, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    When they went for the Master Codebreaker, found him IMMEDIATELY, then went away with some other guy who never showed up before or since, I just really thought there was no point whatsoever.

Darth Geezy, wobbits, Chémus and 4 others like this.
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I always wondered what made them think to have it play out that way...I actually would've preferred the master codebreaker helping them-he seemed a really intriguing James Bond-type! But I guess ultimately it was all useless, as Finn and Rose ultimately failed in their whole plan anyway-it was just...busy work for their characters, while everything else was going on.

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    was Benicio the code breaker they were looking for? Or did they just happen to be thrown in jail with another codebreaker? Either way seems a bit silly.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Darth Geezy and Jedi_Prophet77 like this.
  4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I've been wondering if it might have been a better idea to have Leia Force project to Ben on Kef Bir, rather than just reach out to him through the Force. Perhaps it might have been a more literal (and redundant) visual, but I think it could have more clearly communicated the effort and exertion that ultimately led to her passing.

5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    that's an interesting idea, but some might have complained that Luke and Leia die the same way.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    I'd argue Luke chose to pass into the Force, not that the Force projection itself killed him.

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    The fancy guy at the table with the mustache and white suit is the codebreaker they were actually looking for, and yes-DJ just happened to be a thief who knew how to codebreak. Seemed like he worked out fine, but it still wouldn't have mattered, cos they all got caught anyways...

I also would've preferred a direct force projection. I wouldn't have minded if it was similar to how Luke died. I just figured the reason they did it the way they did was due to the limited footage they had of Carrie. Which I of course can forgive.

8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    TadoFett likes this.
  9. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    No need for showing the actual Force ghosts in my opinion. The voices were enough. I'd only tweak it so that it would end the same way as the trailer:

Luke: The Force will be with you...
    Leia: Always

And then Rey Force pulls Leia's saber.

10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    DJ spinning some old records and doing karaoke.

MarcJordan and godisawesome like this.
  11. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Going back to this BS of a rumour to remove the ST from canon :

You simply cannot do it because :

1. What would they actually do - make George Lucas's ST treatment and recast Leia not forgetting that Mark Hamill and Harrison ford would be to old to lead this trilogy in say 2026,
    2. Also you could simply not erase TFA, TLJ and TROS out of your mind and most people actually love the new characters from the ST.
    3. You cannot erase the ST based on a few loud and vocal fans.
    4. The ST actually had some great moments for the OT characters and the TROS gave them a good send off.
    5. Much like the PT the ST wasn't perfect and 4 movies from both trilogies have similar reviews and box office results and still there is no call to remove the PT from canon.

TadoFett likes this.
  12. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    2. What brings you to that conclusion?
    3. There are a few that are loud and vocal, but also millions who just no longer care. The silent majority is simply indifferent about the ST. That's why it's lost millions.

Gharlane likes this.
  13. Jedi_Prophet77

Dec 14, 2017
    I found it typical for the movie as a whole: setting something up, then pulling a bait and switch. Fine once or twice in a movie (Rise of Skywalker did this), but in TLJ it was about every ten minutes.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and DARTH_BELO like this.
  14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The code breaker and DJ honestly would have made more sense and had a slightly better “surprise” at his turn if they were one and the same - if the code breaker Maz was sending them after was DJ, and that’s why they wound up in the jail, or if instead fo DJ you had the slick operator instead.

BDT could have played either one.

The head fake doesn’t really serve any purpose... and mostly just makes Finn and Rose looks both stupidly lucky and stupidly-stupid.

15. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    2. That's the overwhelming consensus is literally no one ripped into or hated Finn , Rey , Poe or Kylo Ren this was never a thing and the general feeling is JJ nailed the characters.
    3. The ST made more money than the PT adjusted for inflation - it took less than hoped but overall made heaps of profit.

16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The ST did not lose money in the sense of a box office bust.

And I’d say that, at least at the beginning, all the new characters were popular.

However, Kylo Ren is now rightfully a Base Breaking character with a large hatedom to match his fanbase, Finn fans are almost uniformly bitter and disappointed, and Rey fans are both much smaller than they originally were and divided between Reylo fans and anti-Reylo fans.

And the ST started off far stronger than the PT... and then fell a bit further in spite of that, and particularly saw that fall increase proportionally for the same female and non-white demographics it was courting when it started.

I still say 75% of this thread wouldn’t exist if Rey and Finn were written well in TLJ, particualrly in regards to avoiding treating Finn as a token supporting character and in regards to making sure Rey wasn’t give a shallow and cancerous relationship with Kylo Ren, but instead actually given “the rub” from Luke.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  17. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Looking at twitter over the years there is a strong fan base for Reylo that seems to have got stronger from what I've seen after TROS where Finn and Poe was never much of a fan base but the most hate went to Rose and the portrayal of Luke Skywalker in TLJ.....one thing about the PT it had a much stronger finish with ROTS than the ST had with TROS in terms of reviews , satisfaction and ROTS had a box office increase from the last entry however TROS pretty much matched ROTS adjusted box office.

18. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    ST also had the advantage of 3D prices that PT didn't. Internationally, markets that weren't big contributors to the boxoffice between 1999 and 2005 exploded in the last decade.

So when you adjust ROTS to inflation, you get 497M vs TROS's 515M which is a very small difference and TROS still had 3D so it's very likely that TROS would come under ROTS if you remove 3D bump.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    wobbits and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  19. Jedi_Prophet77

Dec 14, 2017
    Correction. There was a point. Justin Theroux got his cameo.

20. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Twitter is not a reliable gauge of public opinion.

Gharlane likes this.
  21. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    @godisawesome

According to MPAA:

TFA 10 Day demo breakdown by ethnicity

W 61%
    L 15%
    B 12%
    A 7 %
    O 5%

TLJ 10 day demo breakdown by ethnicity

W 57% down by 4%
    L 18% up by 3%
    B 11% down by 1%
    A 9% up by 2%
    O 4% down by 1%

So Latino and Asian audience share increased by 2% and 3%, while Black and Other audience share dropped by 1%.

TFA gender share:

M: 58%
    F: 42%

TLJ gender share:

M 59% up 1%
    F 41% down 1%

Nether drops nor increases are drastic so it's all within expected. The franchise continues to attract overwhelmingly white male audience because it obviously appeals to their sensibilities.

They didn't release TROS data yet so I can't compare but don't expect drastic difference.

You might be interested to know that Rogue One, that was praised for its diverse cast, had no bigger non-white or female share than TFA/TLJ:

W 62%
    L 15%
    B 11%
    A 8%
    O 4%

M 59%
    F 41%

22. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Have Rian Johnson do the entire thing from the offset.
    Along with the wish that the beloved Carrie did not leave us so early

23. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Me and my brother were talking about redoing the sequels from scratch and my brother had been looking up some legends stuff recently, and he came to me with the concept of the Yuuzhan Vong, a race of creatures that apparently are immune to force abilities, for the most part and are cut off from the force as a species. God, if He wills, blessed us with ideas on how to use this and build a story with it, and, to me, have a more interesting antagonist in Kylo Ren.

Essentially in the years after of the destruction of the Empire, there was a power vaccum left. As our heroes worked to structure the new republic, the Yuuzhan Vong crawled out from the outer rim of the galaxy and sought to fill the void, attacking planets and raiding them, showcasing their dominance in the universe.

Our heroes were forced to engage in a war against them. This war lasting years.

Luke trained jedi to fight against this threat. But the jedi weren't as effective of an army against them, as they were creatures who weren't vulnerable to the force. Luke's star student, Ben Solo, the son of Han and Leia, was appointed by Luke, as the leader of the new jedi in these battles, and over time became bitter and enraged at their losses, the loss of villages and lives, because of the jedi's weakness against the Yuuzhan Vong. Ben, in desperation to end this threat and save the galaxy from them, delved into sith dark side teachings, discovering that only by dark side abilities could the Yuuzhan Vong be defeated. Resistant to this at first, when his own people were killed by them, in rage and grief, Ben led an assault on the Yuuzhan Vong homeworld, in defiance of Luke's orders and his call to avoid those ways of doing things, and massacred them, defeating with sith lightning powers and murdering their leader, as Luke attempts to stop him. Luke, horrified by his nephew's actions, only able to ask, "What have you done?" Ben, only answering in a voice not of glee or enjoyment, but of coldness, almost remorse of the blood on his hands and a perception of necessity, "I did what needed to be done to save the galaxy."

In the midst of this, Ben discards his former name and leads the jedi who will follow him, in a campaign to take over the galaxy, and bring peace to it, agreeing with Empire's concept of ideas, but hating their methods of the destruction of civilian lives.

In TFA, Ben, now dubbed Kylo Ren, leads his men, under the orders of a dark side cult, a group that seek to re-establish the Empire under the sith mantle, with the First Order, remnants of the Empire. These remnants aren't just made up of people seeking to rule the universe for power and such, but also people who experienced positive things under it (to them peace), that it's destruction, to them, has brought into chaos. The FO seeks to use old Empire tech, Project Cinder, to attack the new republic, this succeeding. Han can still be killed by Kylo, but this time, out of a sense to prevent Han from undoing his goals, Kylo promising his dad that he will bring peace to the galaxy like his family has always wanted and his heroic sacrifice will be honored. Kylo, then, at the end, in his pain and grief, killing the dark side cult and taking over the First Order, dismissing the sith teachings and mantle, to establish a dark side army, that will have the strength to bring the peace to the galaxy he thinks the jedi were never able to, ending the slavery and mob ruled underbelly of the galaxy and establishing a new order of strength and justice, in his mind.

24. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    The only change I would have made: Keep Luke Skywalker alive. I realize that presents a new set of narrative challenges, but I think it could have been done in a fashion similar to Gandalf in Lord of the Rings.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  25. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Why does Han always have to die?
    Just asking'....

Also, Rian Johnson doing the whole trilogy? Hard pass. It was bad enough he did one of them. Not that JJ was any better. Send both of them far away from Star Wars. JJ should never be let near any established franchise ever again after Trek and Wars (I have no opinion on his M:I since I never saw it and that franchise was ruined for me in the first one (although I did see Ghost Protocol and it wasn't bad)).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Gharlane and wobbits like this.