main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Col, TN The Star Wars Expanded Universe is DEAD

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jeff_The_Dude, May 9, 2014.

1. Jeff_The_Dude

Jeff_The_Dude Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 28, 2012
  2. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Thank God.

Some of that stuff was terrible.

Don't forget, all the various assorted Sith and Mandalorians, gone as well. The Karen Travis stuff is out the window.

Black Stormtrooper armor, Painted stormtrooper armor, gone. Clone Emperors... GTFO

That thing about Old EU still being available as "Star Wars Legends"... yeah, OK. That was just throwing a bone to the EU fans. There's no way the old EU will be sitting on the shelf for $5.95 next to the all-new Disney EU hardcover for $39.

"Legends" = "Infinities" it's all "what if", now. None of that stuff will be around long. It just won't sell.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Not all the EU was crap and anyway tastes vary and it's still up to us what we consider valid no matter what the Mouse says. I highly doubt the Mouse will do any better.

4. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    As many have said in other countless threads regarding the new direction concerning the EU, the EU is not actually dead. Not only are you of course, free to still enjoy the EU material at your leisure, but the EU will also be "mined" (to use Filoni's term) for inspiration in the future. All this means, really, is that moving forward everything coming from Del Ray and Disney will be on equal footing and be much more cohesive. No more multi-tiered canon. And, who knows? Maybe they will decide some of the previously written material fits into canon and re "canonize" it. I personally, as a FAN of the previous EU (now called "Legends"), I am OK with them deciding to turn the page, so to speak.

5. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002

I'm looking forward to the Tarken book.

I miss Jaxxon the giant green rabbit. I hope they pull him out of the EU to reuse.

6. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    I can think of at least three good things to come of this.

-Chewbacca lives!

-IG-88 was not the Deathstar!

-Boba Fett is dead!

The reality has always been the movies will steamroll over any and all EU anyway. In fact, the movies sometimes steamroll right over their own canon at times. Gotta roll with the punches as a SW fan. It's ever subject to revision.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm glad you're looking forward to Tarkin. I hope you enjoy it. Me, I'll probably read it and dismiss it particularly if Luceno strives to continue to blackwash Cushing's character. But, hey, to each their own.

I don't think the 'mining' of EU is a good thing but glad some are happy. I find it cheap. However, now I don't really intend to invest in SW anymore. The interest simply isn't there.

8. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002

I was right there with you. Done with Star Wars, resigned from the 501st, gave almost all of my action figures away to children to play with. The announcement of the sequels got my interest back, and now with Disney dumping all the convoluted, confusing EU and starting fresh, my interest is back. I hope yours comes back too.

vw_jedi likes this.
  9. Jeff_The_Dude

Feb 28, 2012
    I'd bet a dollar that the mouse targets the prequels next. That's another hot mess that needs cleaning up.

10. Double_D

Double_D Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2014
    I'm partial to my black armor... maybe because it's my first... I'll agree most of the EU was confusing and inconsistent... I'm hoping there will be some new ground to break in the new trilogy...

11. Jeff_The_Dude

Feb 28, 2012
  12. Jeff_The_Dude

Feb 28, 2012
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    @ loki41872: Thank you for the well wish, Loki. It's actually come at a pretty stressful time in RL and it has nothing to do with SW and the Mouse. [:D] I am glad your interest is back. I will have to see about mine. I have a lot of sorting out to do.

14. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Fear not EU brethren. We have the power to preserve our beloved stories. Gather the books, datapads, and holocons. Provided that Disney really goes through with their plans (I have a theory that it is a ruse to try and get fans off the trail of the next Episode in the Saga), there is no way they will round up your memorabilia and set it ablaze.

15. Jeff_The_Dude

Feb 28, 2012