main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Star Wars in Numbers Topic... we deal in absolutes!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ColeFardreamer, Sep 19, 2020.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    As the title says, if you like hard data and math as well as correllating a lot of gffa data for more interesting reveals, this topic is for you. Be it Fleetjunkies, Mapnerds or those nitpickers counting droids and clones... here we go!

While a lot of numbers topics are related to the question of minimalism vs. maximalism, as well as other debates, I hope this topic can focus on the numbers and only draw on the other debates when needed or link to their topics to not detract this one.

Lets start:

I was recently pondering droid sentience and rights (again) and was wondering, how many droids are in the GFFA total anyway? And do they outnumber the number of sentient people in the GFFA? How many droids achieved sentience or near-sentient behavioral levels?

No I could not have picked any easier starting question :p like does the number of Mandalorians in storytelling shrink in correlation to the number of Bounty Hunters growing or not?

Back to droids:

Droids cost money and while urban areas have lots more droids, even rural and far away planets in the Rim like Tatooine operate a multitude of droids per human/moisture farmer. If they already outnumber them there and more so in civilised areas, how does this ratio hold up on a galactic level?

One has to account for droid-free societies as well as anti-droid cultures that by culture are against droid labor. One has to account for the battledroid numbers in wartimes but also the propaganda that overexaggerates their numbers like those of the clones according to some retcons, fuelling the minimalism vs maximalism debate.

Then again, what droids to count? What tech is too simple to be counted? Does AI count as droid? Do droids have to be mobile? What about immobile droids like AI? What about R2's interaction influencing Luke's X-Wing to the point of it getting a personality or something close to it as in Legends?

What counts as droid sentience and what not has been debated in another topic but the result is still relevant to this discussion as to which droids count as sentient and which as merely mimicking sentience by programming.

Now, imagine droid rights. Droid rights given to how many of the droids, and why not all? What would droid equality movements then mean for the rest of the meatbags if the superior number of droids asks for political representation as instant majority faction?

Discuss and count... do the math!

Other numbers related ideas:
    -Is it possible to get tables where one can group characters, ships, planets by certain tags or categories based on wook or other databases? Like planets by environmental type, government form, characters by age, gender, color or ships by size, class, function?
    -How many Ties did the Empire posess tops on carriers, bases, etc.? How many did it need to overpower any enemy given the many one shielded X-Wing or likewise could take out with its kill ratio
    -With the number of sectors represented in the senate known, how long is a usual senate session if every senator would want to be heard on a matter? How long are sessions we have evidence off and how few of the total do actually speak up and do their job?
    -Which named character in the GFFA killed most people? Lets count every single unnatural death to see who comes out on top... will it be a villain or a hero? Guesses may be wrong, lets find out!
    -Any way to access TFN Lit statistics like what characters, topics, sources are most debated in the years TFN exists or is able to count back?

I am looking forward to others "numbers" related discussion ideas!

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    How many TIEs? Assuming 25,000 Star Destroyers with 72 TIEs each, that makes 1,800,000. Add in the TIEs on other ships, plus deployed ground bases, and training squadrons, I'd surmise at least 5 million, maybe 10.

3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I think it's likely that the Empire is still using V-wings, V-19's, or other fighters in second-line roles. You know, like how we didn't immediately transition from the F-4 to the F-15 and F-16...it was done gradually. As for how that affects the total numbers...*shrug*

Sarge, Iron_lord and ColeFardreamer like this.
  4. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I'm also of the opinion that while every Star Destroyer can hold 72 TIEs, not every Destroyer necessarily has 72 on board. Front-line warships like Death Squadron and the Seventh Fleet? They probably have the full complement.

But an out-of-the-way backwater? A Star Destroyer might only have 36 TIES aboard.

DarthJaceus and ColeFardreamer like this.
  5. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

Nice numbers thx. Though I think 10 million is still not enough. Even with V-Wings and others still in use. If the Stardestroyers alone feature 1,800,000 Ties, there need to be more than ten times that at minimum. Carriers like the Quasarfire-class and even the Tie-carrying Gozantis are way more numerous than Stardestroyers. If you have like 10 Tie-carrying ships for every Stardestroyer, and the number may be higher than that, we have on ships alone additional 18 million Ties + those on the Destroyers. Add the complement of the ground bases, shield stations and we go even higher. While not every world has stationed Ties, important worlds and civilized ones like Core and Colonies will have that and in numbers to deal with issues on high traffic worlds. Given the number of worlds in those alone we go way higher.

I wonder given the naval academies we know, how big is their pilot outpot per year? Skystrike Academy and Carida seem unable to cover that alone and even all 5 top academies together are only a small drop, requiring local academies like the Lothal one for stormtroopers to fill all cockpits.