main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Star Wars Saga: Sequel Trilogy score discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Jan 28, 2020.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Now that the Star Wars Saga is complete, and we have at least OST releases of the nine films, I thought it would be fun to have a place dedicated to discussing the Sequel Trilogy scores together. How do we feel they work as a whole? There are many new themes introduced in TFA that carry through to TROS; some that don't. The Sequel Trilogy as a whole doesn't really include much music that originated in the Prequel Trilogy, what do we think about that?

With that introduction, I look forward to our discussions!

2. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I think the themes that were introduced in TFA are nicely developed during the trilogy. Rey's theme is the obvious highlight across the three films, but Kylo Ren's material is really effective and wonderfully transformed when the character turns to the light. The Resistance theme is even better used in the sequels. I also think that TFA found a nice balance between new material and a somewhat limited use of the older themes (the Force theme isn't overused, for example, and we get a few nice cameos from many of the earlier themes).

I have to admit I haven't managed to enjoy the score of TLJ as much as I would like to. There are a few new themes (though only Rose's stands out), but aren't as developed as the themes from TFA, and they aren't even reprised in ROS. Besides, there are too many passages that are similar to earlier scores (a side-effect of the temp-tracking), the Force theme is way overused, and some passages are distractingly lifted from concert versions that are too familiar for me (Leia floating, Yoda...). Even though, there are some great moments, of course, and the source music for Canto Bright is awesome!

I've quite enjoyed the score of ROS, though again there are too many instances of re-using old material with a straight copy instead of a new arrangement. However, the new themes are really nice, and they are developed through the movie.

It has to be said that Williams scored these films across several months, rewriting and recording different versions of many of the cues, so we only have a fragmentary representation of his actual work (as opposed to the rest of the SW films).

Strilo and Howard Hand like this.
  3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Rey’s theme, Kylo’s theme and March of the Resistance were the standouts. But apart from those, I wasn’t blown away with the music, unfortunately.

4. Leia_organa13

Leia_organa13 Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2020
    Personally I liked very much Rey's theme and the March of the Resistance. I also loved the music from the rise of skywalker trailer. It was epic.

5. Leia_organa13

Leia_organa13 Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2020
    I have to say I enjoyed the music in the sequels but I was expecting a love theme about Rey and Ben. I wish they could make a second "across the stars" for them

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    @Leia_organa13 - please use the edit function instead of double posting. You'll see it at the bottom of your post. Most forums here have a 30 minute edit period.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I think a love theme for Rey and Ben would be completely unnecessary. Theirs is not a love story. They're a Dyad in the Force, not a romantic couple. Yes there's a kiss, but one kiss does not equal a romance. I think using Rey's theme and the major mode version of Kylo Ren's theme works well. I wouldn't change the music surrounding their whole victory over Palpatine and Ben's death. It's some of the best Williams has done for the ST.