main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Stars to Which I Pray - a series of Beru vignettes

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: The Stars to Which I Pray
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Beru Lars, Luke Skywalker, Owen Lars, Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Summary: A gift is given and a commitment is made.
    Timeframe: ROTS
    Notes: None at all

Once again, thank you to Gina for putting her considerable talents to work and creating this lovely cover art!
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/VadersLover/Beru-3copy.jpg]

The Stars to Which I Pray

By all the stars above, he?s so tiny.

I can feel miniature ribs expand as he breathes. He shudders just a bit and settles back down into an uneasy sleep. He seems so helpless as I hold him, much too small to be the center of so much evil and chaos. Too innocent to be the son of the one whose name we will not speak from this day forward. He is a pure soul, untouched by the darkness that claimed his father - and ultimately destroyed him.

This little soul was given to me to protect.

We huddle close together, finding comfort in the warmth we lend each other. The suns are setting now and in the distance is a man - a man broken by tragedy and heartbreak and betrayal. Even from faraway I can see that he is not the same man he once was, that he must have been before everything he loved and believed in was swept away.

I would never know him as a Jedi, merely as the shadow of a knight. But I sense his greatness, what he once was. And what he will be again one day, when his heart and soul have healed. I hope I will see his renewal, his rebirth into a past life.

Somehow, he found the strength to let go of Luke, to actually place him in my arms and walk away. I know that I could not have done it. I would have held on tight and cursed the consequences.

But he knew we would love him.

I watch until the Jedi is gone, disappearing over the horizon as the first sun sets and the second one follows. It is dark now and I hear Owen stirring in the house. He will be preparing a spot for Luke to sleep and worrying about what we?ll feed him until he gets into town tomorrow.

He?s been cutting up cloths for diapers and trying to decide what is soft enough to rest against a baby?s skin. And he?ll go into town tomorrow and spread the story we?ve concocted to explain the presence of the little one in our home.

Lies, all lies. But it?s safer this way.

His jaw clenched when Obi-Wan explained his mission in the transmission that came last night. Owen turned away, but I saw the anger that blazed, however briefly, in his eyes. But then he saw the hope in mine and he swallowed his anger and his fear. A curt nod was all I got, but I knew then that Luke would be ours.

I had given Obi-Wan our agreement and tried so hard to ignore the impatient joy that sang within me. The hours since the Jedi?s request and this one had seemed to last a lifetime.

And now I hold him. He is soft and warm and his weight rests trustingly against me. A peace I had not expected seeps into me and I know that no matter what else might come, I will love this little boy.

Luke stirs and his blue eyes open. I feel a pang of recognition, for they are Anakin?s eyes. As blue as the oceans I?ve never seen and as innocent as dawn. His bottom lip quivers as if he wants to cry.

?You?ll be all right,? I whisper. ?You?re home now. And we?ll keep you safe.?

He blinks at me, and his eyes seem to search my face for something. I know I imagine it, but he seems to find it there and is satisfied. He heaves a sigh and snuggles a bit closer.

I turn away from the darkness and we walk toward that light.

For the first time, Luke will be inside his new home. It is here that he will learn to walk and talk and I will watch a baby become a toddler who will someday be a little boy. That boy will become a man and I will know I have done my job.

I send a swift prayer up to the stars, asking Luke?s Force to guide me.

The baby in my arms looks up, too, and his eyes shine as bright as the stars to which I pray.

They twinkle back at us, as if hearing our hopes.

And we go inside our home -

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    This is lovely, VaderLVR64. I love how you wrote Beru's thoughts.

I can feel miniature ribs expand as he breathes. He shudders just a bit and settles back down into an uneasy sleep. He seems so helpless as I hold him, much too small to be the center of so much evil and chaos. Too innocent to be the son of the one whose name we will not speak from this day forward. He is a pure soul, untouched by the darkness that claimed his father - and ultimately destroyed him.

This is a great opening paragraph (or two, really ;)). Once again, lovely. :)

3. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    You know, I've always wondered how they explained the story..... "Well, a pack of jawas just dropped him off one day...."

Or what they told Luke.

Lovely vignette. I actually wish that Beru could have survived and seen the man Luke WOULD become.

Great Job, writing buddy. :)

4. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    WOW!! Awesome job! =D= =D= =D=

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah, you did the vignette I have been hoping to do. Great job!

6. LukeSkywalker_2001

LukeSkywalker_2001 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 18, 2002
    Awe....that was beautiful....

Beru's thoughts about little baby Luke, and holding him for the first time, and her thoughts

Very well done! Glad to have you as my Beru for the Notes.

7. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Oh, wow. This is absolutely beautiful. [face_love] [face_love] I love the way that you write Beru -- her insights into Obi-Wan's character were wonderful. :D The mention of Owen was perfectly in-character as well. Fantastic work! =D=

8. americantragedy

americantragedy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    Brilliant viggie. I especially like the way you described Luke's eyes.
    -mia-

9. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Idrelle_Miocovani Thanks for reading!

Jedi_Liz Maybe that's the story they told Luke! :p I thought they'd have to have some sort of explanation.

Bale Thanks! And I've been enjoying your work a lot!

DarthIshtar
    I think this is a scene that can be written many times because everyone will have a different take on it!

LukeSkywalker_2001 Beru and Shmi are two of my favorite "forgotten" characters.

Knight_Aragorn Thank you for reading. Now go write something else brilliant so I can read it gnash my teeth in envy. You heard me, run along and create!

americantragedy Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

10. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    That was awesomely lovely. :) And the handing over of Luke is one of my all time favorite among many all time favorite scenes in ROTS. Actually, when the movie opened, a local reporter noted the sunset scene as one of the top ten great events of the week. :D

You did a beautiful job, VaderLVR64, of conveying all the emotions in that scene from Beru's to Owen's to Luke's to Obi-Wan's. Again, lovely. @};- And to be honest I've been feeling a bit depressed of late and was even thinking of not writing anymore but reading your vignette has brought me back from that particular abyss. O:)

11. CountCuckoo

CountCuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    Yeah it's awesome

12. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    For the first time, Luke will be inside his new home. It is here that he will learn to walk and talk and I will watch a baby become a toddler who will someday be a little boy. That boy will become a man and I will know I have done my job.

:_| :_| Absolutely beautiful.

You never fail to tug at the heartstrings, K, and this look at Beru's thoughts when Luke was given to her was no exception! Bravo! =D=

13. wendynat

wendynat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    This was absolutely beautiful! I see very few fics written from Beru's POV, and I'm glad to see this one. She's a fascinating character, and there's so much material to cover with her - you really got into her head in this vignette in an utterly believable way. Gorgeous fic!!

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Again you manage to make me cry...

Beautiful and touching. *sigh*

15. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    That was...cute. :D I wish I could have come up with a less sappy word.:p It was beautiful.

16. warm_fuzzy

warm_fuzzy Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2005

I can feel miniature ribs expand as he breathes. He shudders just a bit and settles back down into an uneasy sleep. He seems so helpless as I hold him, much too small to be the center of so much evil and chaos. Too innocent to be the son of the one whose name we will not speak from this day forward. He is a pure soul, untouched by the darkness that claimed his father - and ultimately destroyed him. Awesome paragraph! I love how he shudders in his sleep, and the line about him being so helpless, too innocent to be the center of evil and chaos. Very well worded.

This little soul was given to me to protect. Very nice here too!

We huddle close together, finding comfort in the warmth we lend each other. The suns are setting now and in the distance is a man - a man broken by tragedy and heartbreak and betrayal. Even from faraway I can see that he is not the same man he once was, that he must have been before everything he loved and believed in was swept away.

I would never know him as a Jedi, merely as the shadow of a knight. But I sense his greatness, what he once was. And what he will be again one day, when his heart and soul have healed. I hope I will see his renewal, his rebirth into a past life.
    Wow, very beautifully said. I oculd quote this whole thing!

I watch until the Jedi is gone, disappearing over the horizon as the first sun sets and the second one follows. It is dark now and I hear Owen stirring in the house. He will be preparing a spot for Luke to sleep and worrying about what we?ll feed him until he gets into town tomorrow.

He?s been cutting up cloths for diapers and trying to decide what is soft enough to rest against a baby?s skin. And he?ll go into town tomorrow and spread the story we?ve concocted to explain the presence of the little one in our home.
    Aww that's cute! I can just see gruff Owen doing that. :)

And now I hold him. He is soft and warm and his weight rests trustingly against me. A peace I had not expected seeps into me and I know that no matter what else might come, I will love this little boy.

Luke stirs and his blue eyes open. I feel a pang of recognition, for they are Anakin?s eyes. As blue as the oceans I?ve never seen and as innocent as dawn. His bottom lip quivers as if he wants to cry.

?You?ll be all right,? I whisper. ?You?re home now. And we?ll keep you safe.?
    Aww very sweet here. It's amazing how peaceful holding a newborn can be, I love how his little lip quivers and she reassures him. :)

He blinks at me, and his eyes seem to search my face for something. I know I imagine it, but he seems to find it there and is satisfied. He heaves a sigh and snuggles a bit closer.

I turn away from the darkness and we walk toward that light.
    Awesome lines here. :)

I send a swift prayer up to the stars, asking Luke?s Force to guide me.

The baby in my arms looks up, too, and his eyes shine as bright as the stars to which I pray.

They twinkle back at us, as if hearing our hopes.

And we go inside our home - together.
    Perfect ending lines...dang I nearly DID quote the whole thing...but it is very beauitful, and I can perfectly imagine Beru feeling this way. The scene with the families getting hte babies at the end of ROTS made me cry...this little vignette brought me to tears. Excellent job. :)

~~~

I am the King of the League of the Warm Fuzzies. My true identity is a secret, but there is a way for you to join the League of the Warm Fuzzies to find out who I am! Simply reply to 5 stories you've never posted on before - this is a great chance to delurk! - just like I've replied to your story. These replies are called Warm Fuzzies, because they make people feel warm and fuzzy inside! Once you've given ou

17. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    =D= You protrayed Beru very well.

Owen turned away, but I saw the anger that blazed, however briefly, in his eyes. Owen's early anger really increased later in life. Love that line.

Great job!

18. lightsaver

lightsaver Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    that was simply beautiful. gave me shivers, actually.

great job, i always thought beru wasn't noticed enough and to have this is just awesome.

19. Elana

Elana Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ahh, so lovely.

I love that scene in RotS, especially because it's almost exactly as I always pictured it.

20. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005

What an incredible description of the pain that Obi-Wan is experiencing, "the shadow of a knight"!

Such a poignant vignette! Beru knows only love for the little soul entrusted to her in these dark moments!

Marvelous! =D= =D= =D=

21. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Great viggie! I love the first line and paragraph!

22. Delalyra

Delalyra Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    *sniff* that was...that was beautiful.

23. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Glad I saw this! It's a beautiful little piece.

24. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Arwyn_Whitesun That would be terrible if you stopped writing! :_| I would be thrilled to be responsible in some small way for rousing your muse!

CountCuckoo Thank you! :D

Gina Yeah, look who's talking! :rolleyes: The Queen of Yanking those heart strings!

wendynat Thank you. [face_blush] Coming from someone of your talent, that makes me feel quite good!

Healer_Leona I make you cry every day, at least that's what you tell the other mods! :p

StarFighter5 I'll take cute OR beautiful!

warm_fuzzy Wow, I think your reply was as long as my viggie! ;)

FelsGoddess Thank you for reading! [:D]

lightsaver Beru and Shmi are two of my most favorite characters! [face_love]

Elana That scene makes me cry harder than all the other angst in ROTS!

Star_Drifter Thank you. I felt TERRIBLE for Obi-Wan in that scene, he just looked so defeated.

Laine_Snowtrekker Thanks! The beginning and the ending are always the most important. [face_thinking]

Delalyra
    I'm so glad you liked it. I enjoyed writing it.

RebelScum77 Aw, thank you! [face_blush]

25. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I've decided to do a series of vignettes about Beru, who is one of my favorite characters. I'll be putting them all in this thread.

Title: The Quiet Hour
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Beru, Luke
    Timeframe: Four years post ROTS
    Summary: The years of childhood are precious, a quiet pause before the noise of the galaxy intrudes.

The Quiet Hour

It is dawn, the second sun just slipping up over the dunes. There is just a pleasant warmth now, one that bleeds away the chill of a desert night, but soon enough the heat will be oppressive. It is the last moment of quiet that I will have today. Soon, I will hear the sound of small feet scampering my way, and this peaceful silence will be at an end.

The source of all the noise and chaos will shuffle into the kitchen, rubbing his eyes sleepily. I will meet those big blue eyes and my heart will be claimed all over again, just as it is every morning. I will be filled up with love for a little boy in the blink of an eye.

As if my thoughts have called to him, and there is a part of me that thinks this is so, I hear a drowsy voice call out from the doorway. ?Mornin?,? Luke says with a yawn.

I kneel down in front of him and lift him so that he can give me my morning kiss. ?Good morning, love,? I whisper against his throat and then I blow hard, creating the sound that never fails to delight him.

He giggles, as he always does. ?That tickles,? he declares happily.

All is right with my little world today. Luke is here and he is safe. What more can I ask of the galaxy?

?Are you hungry?? I ask as I lower him into his chair.

?Yep,? he replies, putting his elbows on the table and resting his head on his hands.

Luke is usually quiet first thing in the morning. Owen swears that he is merely gathering his energy for the mischief that is sure to follow. That is probably true, I admit. I like his drowsiness, whatever its purpose, for it allows me to hug and kiss him at my leisure. Once he is fully awake, he will not be still long enough for such luxuries. I have learned to take my hugs when I can get them.

I talk to him quietly as I prepare a bowl of laka cereal for him. It is his favorite, especially if he has bit of fresh fruit to go with it. That is a treat we cannot always afford, but even at just four years old, he understands. He understands much, though he does not yet have the words to express what he has instinctively recognized. I imagine his Force whispering to him, in a voice so quiet that he senses it but does not yet hear it.

Sometimes, he looks at me with solemn blue eyes that seem to see too much and I am abruptly reminded of why he is here with us, why we have been given the gift that is Luke. The moment will pass, however, and there is only a little boy staring up at me, full of high spirits and mischief. The imp is back and I find comfort. The future seems far away at such moments, almost impossible to contemplate and I happily put such fears away.

I place his bowl in front of him and he pokes it experimentally, searching for fruit. When he determines there is none, he gives a little shrug of acceptance and begins to shovel it into his mouth without complaint. I am unable to resist the temptation to reach out and touch the unruly blond hair, though he scowls fiercely. I laugh and ruffle it once more for good measure. He grins around a mouthful of cereal, his good humor restored.

Luke has the face of an angel but I am not fooled. He is a born prankster, with a mischievous core that no amount of scolding will ever truly tame. His heart is generous, though, and I know that no matter where his path leads him, he will win the trust and love of those around him. That is one of his gifts, the ability to touch the hearts of those who meet him. They will see the goodness that lurks beneath the laughter.

The food rouses him, and by the time he takes the last bite his little feet are swinging back and forth and he is wriggling in his seat. ?Can I go out and play?? he asks eagerly.

I have barely b

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.