main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Historical Earth Drama The Strange Case of Ethan Carter

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Sir_Draco, Jun 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    [​IMG]

Saying Ethan Carter was a man with many gifts still seemed to be sort of an understatement. Barely forty he was one of the British Empire‘s most famous scholars. He was also what the French might call an enfant terrible of modern science. His achievements had been mostly picking apart those theories by elder scientists he found lacking. Nevertheless, he had gained the trust of many contemporaries and if rumors were true had occasionally advised the Crown.

His expertise spanned several fields including chemistry, zoology, literature and astrology. His special interest lately was the latter, which he described in a letter to a friend as a „key to many questions science has yet to conquer“.

He was also a notorious loner, turning down several offers by clubs of great reputation to join them and maintaining most friendships through regular letters.

His career had allowed him a high living standard, which was supported by the inheritance of his father, Raymond Carter, who was a Member of Parliament until he vanished on a hunting exercise at the age of fifty. From him Ethan Carter had inherited the house at Aldford Street in the Mayfair, London. He had a housemaid and a butler taking care of his needs.

It was in the study of this house he was last seen by his butler on the night of the 2nd August 1887. He was reading the newspaper and drinking a brandy. Both was against his usual habit, but not entirely uncommon.

[​IMG]

After his Butler was released of his daily duty by him around ten o‘clock he was never seen again. His only relative, his sister Amanda Carter, ten years his junior, filed a missing person report on the 4th of August. The prominence of the missing person lead Scotland Yard to send their best man. Inspector Lestrade searched the house and premises with several men and found no clue to the whereabouts of the Gentleman. The study as locked from within and had to be forcefully opened by the police. Inside they found the newspaper and the brandy glass half filled.

The Inspector had a bad feeling about this. He also had some pressure from his superiors, who seemed to answer to higher authorities in this.
    So he did the only thing he could do. He consulted an expert.

As he got out of his coach he sighed deeply and finally knocked at the door of 221b Baker Street. Ms. Hudson opened the door. „He expects you.“ She said.
    „Of course he does.“ Lestrade only sighed.

Half an hour later he had explained the case to Holmes and Dr. Watson and sipped from his tea. He considered trying to play Holmes, by tell him he „thought it might interest him“, but truth was the Consulting Detective had probably looked through him already.

„He got so many enemies in academic circles a murder cannot be ruled out. He has so few contacts to the outside world we can actually rules out he got drunk or something like this.“ Lestrade sighed and looked to Watson, then back to Holmes. „Might also have something to do with his work. We found very few papers and notes around the house I thought.“ Lestrade looked around. „Maybe important.“ He added insecure.
    „We left things mostly untouched. I mean we worked the scene, searched everything, but left as much untouched as possible. I just tried not to make a mess out of the scene. His sister is more than willing to pay your usually fee and the divission would be forever in your debt. Which it probably already is, dammit Holmes . . . can you just tell me if you accept the case?“ Lestrade looked at him and sighed again, this time even more deeply then the first.

Tag: @Reynar_Tedros, @LordTroepfchen

THE STRANGE CASE OF ETHAN CARTER
    A Victorian Adventure
    ________________________​

This is a game about the most favorite two detectives of all time, Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Guess you figured that one out already, did you? Well, both roles have been taken and this will be a small game, that is putting it‘s focus on two main characters. Nevertheless, I invite you to join us in one of many guest roles if this game interests you. if there is any interest, please PM me and otherwise, I wish my two brave players good look in their portrayal of two characters which could hardly be any more iconic.

Character Sheet (only my suggestion, use whatever you like pals)

Name:
    Appearance:
    Equipment:

Bio:

_______
    The Rules:

1. GM word is law
    2. I will update at least once a week, will try to do twice. In between I might send PMs or you two might of course interact as much with each other as you wish.
    3. NPCs I will release to you on occasion with me sending little info mails what they might reveals for easier writing.
    4. Well, no Godmodding etc.
    5. Have Fun!

Darth_Elu and Sinrebirth like this.
  2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    GM Approved

Name: Dr. John H. Watson

Appearance: [​IMG]

Occupation: Physician, consulting detective, veteran of the British Army

Personality: Possessing etiquette and manners taught to him since early childhood, Watson is a finely tuned English gentleman. But that is not to say he doesn’t have his own brand of pawky humor, and he is quite intelligent to boot. Despite a leg injury, Watson is physically fit and agile, due to both his time in the military and his experience in rugby.

Biography: John Watson had a typical childhood some may consider dull, growing up in London in a middle class family, with parents that always emphasized respectability and manners. Watson received his medical degree from the University of London, and was subsequently trained as an assistant surgeon in the British Army. He joined British forces in India and was wounded at the Battle of Maiwand, taking a jezail bullet to his right knee. He was sent back to England following his recovery, but was no longer able to serve due to his injury.

After his military stint, Watson opened a small private practice in London to put his knowledge of medicine to use, and over the years has become quite loved and respected in his local community, often treating patients with low incomes and never turning away those who are unable to pay for his services. This has caused him to endure some financial trouble, and several months ago Watson was forced to seek out a flatmate to help cover his costs of living.

It was then when he met Sherlock Holmes, with whom he has shared the residence at 221B Baker Street for the past several months, occasionally offering his assistance to the eccentric detective in a number of his cases.

Sinrebirth and Shadowsun like this.
  3. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    GM approved

Name: Sherlock Homes
    Appearance:
    [​IMG]

Equipment: Walking cane, magnifying glass, British Army revolver (when necessary), notebook, coat and deerstalker

Bio: The details of his upbringing are vague at best, but he has gone through an elite education and developed his own technique of deduction as an undergraduate. Around that time he also decided to dedicate his life to crime fighting and the further development of his technique.

He has solved many crimes over the years, usually working alone. He despises the crude methods of the police and especially their investigative branches. He has come to respect Inspector Lestrade of Scotland Yard for being an honest and incorruptible member of the force, but belittles his intellectual capabilities.

Financial problems have recently forced him to share a flat with a certain Dr. John Watson, a war veteran and medical doctor. The two have a strange bond that could considered a friendship and Watson has joined him in several cases since they moved together. He seems to be the only company Holmes finds acceptable.

Since they have moved together his financial status has become better, yet he values his room mate and has made no attempt to change their living conditions.

4. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Sherlock Holmes
    Flat at 221b Baker Street

Holmes was sitting in his armchair and had listened to Lestrade's description of the case. He had occasionally sipped from his tea, but as usually he had shown no emotion. Only when Lestrade mentioned his men searching the house he had sighed. He was sure the rumbling policemen had managed to destroy plenty of evidence with their incompetence and lack of observation.

A man had vanished from a locked room. The mind of Inspector Lestrade was not made for riddles like this. At least Lestrade was aware of the fact. The riddle itself was certainly of interest. A classic problem so to say. It was the man who had vanished that was what got his attention though. Ethan Carter had been one of the brightest minds of the scientific world and Holmes was well aware of his body of work, that contained several well made arguments against esteemed colleagues. A critic of academic sloppiness, Carter had alway displayed a certain depth of though he found refreshing. It was a kindred spirit he had seen in him in many ways and he had always hoped to parlay with the man one day. Now he had vanished and the circumstance indicated it was not a random escape from his mundane life.

"Inspector." Holmes began and put down his cup of tea so generously provided by Ms. Hudson. "An interesting riddle you present. There are many ways a man can be murdered in a locked room, but vanish from it? That is an entirely different thing entirely." He looked over to the dear Doctor. "What do you say, dear Watson? Is this a case worthy of our attention?"

He had made up his mind already he would accept the case and his friend probably was the only person to know that. It was just cruel entertainment to let the Inspector wait.

In his mind he was beginning to go through potential solutions already. He would need to inspect the room of course. Yet, the brilliant scientist had probably left them a riddle to solve and this was a challenge he found irresistible. Rarely he had the chance to measure his skills against someone of an equal intellect.

Tag: @Reynar_Tedros, @Sir_Draco

5. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    IC: Dr. John H. Watson
    221B Baker St.

Watson had vaguely remembered possibly hearing Ethan Carter’s name in passing during his medical studies, although he understood that there wasn’t much overlap in the men’s individual fields of science, thus it wasn’t a surprise that the name of the victim in question had a foggy familiarity at best. And it was hardly worth the good doctor’s time to maintain a keen awareness of London’s wealthy populace, the size of which he could only venture a slightly educated guess. But he had no doubt that Carter’s wealth was the chief reason Inspector Lestrade found himself in the flat of Sherlock Holmes, a place of which the policeman clearly possessed very little fondness.

Watson sipped his tea casually as the inspector explained the details of the case to himself and Sherlock, paying careful attention to every detail lest his partner ask for his opinion on even the most minute circumstance, which happened fairly often. Although Watson had come to realize that most of the time it wasn’t his opinion that Sherlock sought, but how his own various theories sounded when spoken aloud. Watson was merely the sturdy wall off of which Sherlock bounced his many ideas. They worked well together.

“What do you say, dear Watson? Is this a case worthy of our attention?”

The word ‘dear’ preceding Watson’s name made it clear that the sarcastic detective had made up his mind already, and didn’t need the sturdy wall’s approval at all. But Watson, knowing Lestrade was genuinely curious, set down his tea on the small table next to his chair and leaned forward to respond.

“A respected man of science, vanishing from within a locked room, appearing to defy the very subject of which he dedicated his life? Dear Sherlock, whether this case is worthy of our attention or not, it’s certainly got mine.”

Watson leaned back in his chair as he finished speaking and reached for his tea again, taking a sip. Miss Hudson always was a gifted brewer.

Tag: @LordTroepfchen, @Sir_Draco

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Sherlock Holmes
    Flat in 221b Baker Street

Holmes smiled at Watson's comment. He patiently turned back to Lestrade and raised his brows.

"You have captured the interest of Dr. Watson, Inspector. How could we leave his curiosity unsatisfied? I accept the case." He took his tea up again and emptied the small cup. "I assume you have the evidence with you as you clearly came directly from the crime scene. I would like to see the newspaper Mr. Carter read the night of the events." He lay his head aside. "I assume you have not been diligent enough to bring the glass of brandy he drank, have you? I assume the content has vanished in a kitchen sink already. We shall hope no over-eager member of the household washed the glass." He stood up and nodded to the Doctor. "We should not loose any time to visit this mysterious room the missing Mr. Carter seemed to have vanished from. I am sure evidence is destroyed every minute we hesitate. I will read the newspaper on the way to Mayfair." He went over to the wardrobe and took his cost and deer-stalker from it.

"Shall we go, dear Doctor?" He asked and nodded to Lestrade. "You are invited to join us. We might need your authority."

Time was of essence indeed. Whatever had happened, had already happened two days ago and that was a considerable disadvantage Hom es did not intend to get any worse.

Tag: @Kalio_Dynkos, @Sir_Draco

Shadowsun likes this.
  7. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    Aldford Street 78, Mayfair, London
    The House of Carter

Inspector Lestrade knew better then to disturb Holmes while he was studying the newspaper in the coach. Instead he preferred to have a conversation with Watson.

"The Comissioner himself has taken an interest in the case, so I am under a lot of pressure here." He explained. "Mr. Carter seems to have been a highly regarded member of society. Usually you gotta be knighted at least to get such an attention. He was pretty clear, my career might depend on finding the man." He sighed. Then he looked at Holmes until they arrived. Two patrolmen awaited them and opened the door.

[​IMG]
    Inside the house was small but cozy and in perfect order. Not a sign of dust anywhere. Paintings on the walls showed a certain taste and both furniture and interior was most exquisite and certainly expensive.

The study was on the first floor and the massive door was split with an axe before the door had been rammed open. Inside there was the chair within what looked like a small library. The desk in the corner was clean, equipped with ink and a modern pen, but looked mostly unused.

The books in the cupboard were classics. The Encyclopedia Britannica and Oxford Journal was almost complete and several works of philosophy and history were stored there. The books had to be worth a fortune, but most were at least ten years old if not older.

On a sideboard stood a bottle, almost filled with brown fluid and labeled "de Jerez 1835". The label was simple and yet the bottle was artfully made with an eye for beauty.

The room also contained several persons awaiting the arrival of the investigators. The Butler James Foley awaited the two men, as did the housekeeper. A third woman was there and walked over to Holmes and Dr. Watson who she offered her hand to with a slight curtsy and smile.

"Mr. Holmes, I am Maria Carter-Andrews, Ethan's sister. My eternal gratitude for coming here. You must be the famous Dr. Watson!" She nodded. Anything you need I will gladly provide, please bring my brother back safely. It is all that matters to me now." She smiled again and the Butler simply bowed. The house-keeper was visibly insecure and imitated the courtesy of Lady Andrews with much less grace and skill.

"This is where Mr. Foley saw him the last time." Lestrade pointed to the chair. "The room was locked. The Windows can't be opened. Nowhere in the house actually. They use airshafts for air circulation." Lestrade nodded.

Then he gestured and invited Holmes to begin his work on the crime scene.

ooc: PM send.

[​IMG]

Butler James Foley

[​IMG]

Housekeeper Emily Lorrel

[​IMG]
    Lady Maria Carter-Andrews

8. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Carter House; Mayfair, London

Watson became nervous when the coach arrived at the Carter residence on Aldford Street. The house appeared to be quite extravagant, clearly belonging to a family of considerable wealth and status, and the two additional stories on top of the first gave the doctor pause. He moved around well enough for a man who once had a bullet lodged in his knee, but when stairs were part of the equation, well, let’s just say that Sherlock may well have solved the case by the time Watson reached the third landing.

Thankfully upon entry, Lestrade informed the duo that the study in question was on the first floor of the house, and Watson gave a silent sigh of relief. He took a brief look at the surroundings, noting how exquisitely clean and tidy everything was (the mangled study door jamb from the police’s forced entry notwithstanding). He would leave Sherlock to the specifics and perhaps do a more detailed inspection later.

Instead, Watson focused on the assembled party who had awaited their arrival at the house. There was Maria Carter-Andrews, Ethan’s sister, an elegant woman who possessed a style and character that embodied her elevated societal status. She implied that Watson was famous, to which the doctor could only think to respond with a humble “Ah,” and appreciative smile. If he was famous, especially in a luxurious environment such as this, he certainly wasn’t aware of it.

Then there was the butler, James Foley, who didn’t say much but was tall and well built.

Thirdly there was the housekeeper, who didn’t possess the refined social decorum as that of the Carter sister, but gave a valiant effort nonetheless. Watson thought she was quite pretty. He was a man pushing forty years of age who still had yet to find a wife, though not for lack of desire, as he often felt lonely in the evenings after he’d seen his patients for the day. Though moving in with Sherlock had remedied this some, it wasn’t quite the type of companionship he was searching for. Watson preferred someone much more female and much less... nutty. Watson’s mother used to tease him, prodding him with questions about when he was going to give her a grandchild, as her only other son, John’s brother, had long since passed. But over the years, the teasing and the prodding had subsided, and Watson wasn’t sure if his mother assumed he’d grown tired of her playful pestering, or if she’d given up on the prospect entirely.

“I’m sorry,” Watson said to the housekeeper, “but I didn’t catch your name.” Watson, despite his attraction to the woman, wasn’t attempting to open up a dialogue with the prospect of romance. Not yet, anyway. The doctor was simply conducting his first interview of the day.

Tag: @Sir_Draco, @LordTroepfchen

9. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    House of Ethan Carter, Study

The girl looked at the Butler and then gave Watson a shy smile. "I am Emily Lorrel. I take care of Master Carters house." She answered.

"She had been in his service for two years now." The Butler said. "He was always very satisfied with her work."

Tag: @LordTroepfchen, @Reynar_Tedros

10. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Sherlock Holmes
    House of Carter

Holmes had studied the newspaper page by page and had found especially two pages showed signs of having been used more that others. He had studied them intimately, but so far kept his conclusions to himself.

In the house he looked around and then carefully followed Lestrade to the study. The sister of Mr. Carter greeted them with kind words, as did the Butler and the Housemaid. He studied them for a moment and then turned to Lady Carter-Andrews.

"I assure you Dr. Watson and me will Do everything in our considerable powers to find your brother." Holmes gave her a cold but polite smile and turned to the room itself. As usually he left the first line of questions to the Doctor. He was more of a people person.

"Thank you Lestrade, we will keep you informed as always." Which meant he would present him the solution of the case once he had it. "If you could send for your man who so elegantly opened the door, I would appreciate it greatly." He walked to the window, then walked post the book shelves, using his stick to knock against them. Finally he ended his round at the door and knelt in front of it looking at the lock. He finally checked the edge of the door and the slot. He nodded and turned to the room.

"Please be careful, Doctor. The key should not be moved." He then said, pointing the cane towards the key that was lying on the floor. He took out his magnifying glasses and knelt next to the key, eyeing it. He nodded again and stood up. Folding his arms behind his back he measured the distance between the key and the door.

Finally he turned to the armchair in the center of the room and eyed the bottle and chair itself. He opened the bottle and smelled at it. Then he closed it again and sat down on the armchair. It was pointed at the window. He took the newspaper out and opened it, holding it up. It mostly obfuscated the view. He put it down and began processing the information. Of the five possible way to leave the room he had ruled out three now, leaving him to identify the method used from the final two, which he could both not rule out yet. One of them seemed more likely, but not enough to make it a working hypothesis yet.

Silently he turned to Dr. Watson. He was of course beginning with the young girl. His eternal quest for a companion might have influenced the decision. He listened to their conversation as he looked at the floor. It seemed even and with his cane he raised the carpet to check of there was a trap-door. He knew there would be none, but methodical searches had to confirm assumptions.

11. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    House of Carter

Inspector Lestrade nodded and left Holmes alone. It was only a moment later the taller of two guarding patrolmen came in. „Mr. Holmes, the Inspector told me you wanted to see me?“ He said and took his cap of, being visibly nervous as he stepped next to Holmes. He was in his early twenties, strong build and had value eyes who appeared not to be as dim as his rather simple look on his face implied. He looked around and smiled to the other assembled.

12. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006

When Watson asked the housekeeper her name, she looked at the butler before responding. "I am Emily Lorrel. I take care of Master Carter’s house."

Before Watson could inquire further, the butler stepped in.

"She had been in his service for two years now. He was always very satisfied with her work."

“Well, that’s hardly surprising, isn’t it? This house looks absolutely marvelous. Mister Carter is a lucky man, living in an immaculate state such as this. Your work speaks for itself, Miss Lorrel.”

Watson took note of the way Emily had looked at the butler before answering him with her name, and how the butler had stepped in before he’d even had a chance to ask her how long she’d been working for Ethan. It was curious, to say the least. Was Emily’s shyness so extensive that she sought the presence of a familiar colleague whilst engaging in simple conversation with someone she’d just met, or was she less practiced in the art of deception than the butler? Was he fearful that the housekeeper may let something slip that he would rather keep concealed?

“I’m afraid we haven’t been properly introduced,” Watson shifted his attention to the butler and extended his hand. “John Watson.”

Tag: @Sir_Draco

13. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Sherlock Holmes
    The House of Carter

"
    Yes. Thank you for coming. Could you please describe to me how you opened the door and who was present at the time?" Holmes asked the man and stood up again. He walked over to the door with him, keeping an eye on the butler as he walked over.

14. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    The House of Carter

„James Foley.“ The Butler said and hesitantly took Dr. Watson‘s hand. He dragged his left foot a little when he made the necessary step towards the doctor to do so. An injury, as Dr. Aston would immediately recognize. Most likely the leg was stiff because of an old injury which had not healed properly.

„Miss Lorrel was released of her duties by our Master that night as was I. He wanted to be alone, he said.“ The Butler explained and the Housekeeper gave him a long look and then nodded. She was obviously used to not speak if not asked.

The patrolman nodded. „I was originally guarding the door, but when the study was found locked I was asked to help. We had an axe in the couch, but no crowbar, so I split the door and then kicked it open.“ The policeman said. „Inspector Lestrade, Lady Carter-Andrews and two other patrolmen were present at the time, Sir. Lady Carter-Andrews gave us the permission to open the door forcefully. She was . . .“ He looked over to Lady Andrews and then leaned a little forward. It would probably not keep her from overhearing them, but it gave him a better feeling. „She was clearly concerned.“

„I was furious my brother had not been seen and his staff had not cared to contact the police!“ The Lady said now and stepped to Holmes. „It had been two days. Thank the Gods we did not find his body! It is not like him to vanish for two days!“ She gave the Butler an angry look. „I only found out when the university dean send for me because my brother had missed his lecture on astrological signs the morning.“

15. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006

All of these details Watson had essentially been apprised of already before his and Sherlock’s arrival at the house. He looked at the butler, whose leg injury he could sympathize with, and the housekeeper, who remained seemingly quite reticent, and asked, “Did Mr. Carter give any indication as to why he wished to be left alone? Were there any particular anomalies in his mannerisms that evening? Anything at all out of character?”

16. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Sherlock Holmes
    House of Carter, Study

He nodded to the policeman. "That would be all." He answered and released him, turning to the sister.

"So you were the one to realize he was missing. It seemed to surprise you. Did the thought he had just left occur to you?" He stood up again and looked through the room. He had so far looked for a way to leave it. He knew now how Carter had gotten out, but another question was probably even more important now. "I assume your brother had an office in the university he used for his work." Holmes walked to the little desk again and began opening the drawer. It was unlikely what was hidden in this room was so easy to find.

Tag: @Sir_Draco, @Reynar_Tedros

17. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    House of Carter

"Yes, he has a bureau ther ee uses for most of his scientific research." Lady Carter-Andrews added and curiously followed him. "The more surprising is his absence for several days. I thought he might have taken a trip, but apparently he had not."

18. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Sherlock Holmes
    The Study, House of Carter

"What was he working on?" He asked and began taking out the books one by one, looking for pieces of paper or the like. Somewhere had to be the reason why he had been here.

19. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    The House of Carter

„He did something with historical relevant star constellations. It was a work of both history and astrology, he said.“ Lady Carter-Andrews said and watched Holmes picking book by book out of the shelf. None of them revealed anything of note so far.

„Nothing.“ The Housekeeper said, but the Butler gave her a disapproving look. He clearly was not in total agreement. „Our Master usually went through the tasks of the day or if he was traveling or very busy even the tasks for the week. He did not do this the evening I saw. I pointed out that the oven needed repairs and that I would contact the firm doing this for us and I also pointed out several deliveries he had ordered from the university of Leeds had arrived, but her mostly ignored both facts. I felt he was a little more absent that evening. Also, he usually did not drink. I was actually unaware we had alcohol in the house except the Glas of Cognac he offers to guests on occasion.“ The Butler gave a more complete impression of the evening. The Housekeeper simply nodded.

20. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006

Watson was certain at this point that there was some aspect to this whole scenario that remained secret between the butler and the housekeeper. How to get it out, he wasn’t sure, but it likely wouldn’t be done here and now, amongst the crime scene and amidst all the fluff of the investigation. He was looking forward to convening with Sherlock and sharing each other’s findings (not that Watson had really found anything).

“These deliveries from the University,” Watson started, his attention directed at the housekeeper, partly because she was more pleasant to look at and mostly because he wanted to see if the intrusive butler would intervene yet again, “do you know what they were? Did Mr. Carter receive shipments often?”

21. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Sherlock Holmes
    The House of Carter, The Study

He turned half to overhear the conversation between Watson and the servants and then turned to the Lady.

"How interesting. Thank you, I might have more questions later on, but for now I think your brother had a considerable head start and we need to catch up." He smiled his humorless polite smile and turned back to the book shelf. He was almost done, standing in a sea of books now lying Inter floor. It probably looked a little eccentric, but it was necessary. He had not found anything yet. Of course he had not. Mr. Carter was a man with a well-trained intellect. The answer to his question would not lie around that easily.

When the last book was carefully searched for any sign of a secret it held he turned to the room and lay his head aside as he looked at the chair on the carpet. He approached Watson and the Housekeeper and waited patiently for the Doctor to finish his questioning.

22. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    Aldford Street 78, Mayfair, London
    The House of Carter

"No, he usually stored everything in his bureau at the university. So he rarely received shipments to his home. It was from a Professor called James Farrow, I remember that. He was a guest here about a year ago." The Housekeeper had obviously been curious about the package. She blushed as she revealed the last bit of information. "I believe it were two books." She finally admitted and her spying on her Master got her another disapproving look from the Butler. She avoided eye contact with him. "They are not here though." She replied looking at the Butler and then at Watson and Holmes.

23. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006

Sherlock’s approach accelerated Watson’s desire to conclude this small portion of the investigative process, as his partner’s presence in a conversation almost always ended up causing some sort of offense or awkwardness with the other party, especially if the detective was suspicious of their involvement in a case. In this instance, Watson himself was convinced that the butler had something to do with Carter’s disappearance. The how of it, however, he would prefer to discuss with Sherlock alone, away from prying ears.

Watson glanced at Sherlock before replying to the housekeeper, whose presence he wasn’t so anxious to depart, for multiple reasons. If only he could speak with her without the overbearing butler. “If the two books Mr. Carter ordered to be delivered here are not here, then may I ask where they are now?”

Tag: @Sir_Draco, @LordTroepfchen

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  24. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Sherlock Holmes
    The House of Carter, Study

"Could you look if they are still in his bedroom, please? I assume that is where you saw them?" Holmes said, pointing out the obvious place that would make her blush in front of the Butler. Then he turned to the man with a thin smile. "Would you give Dr. Watson and me the room please?" He asked then and waited patiently for the two to be alone.

25. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    House of Carter, Study

The Housekeeper Emily Lorrel nodded, blushed even worse than before and quickly left the room. The Butler remained as if considering to protest, but a look from Lady Carter-Andrews indicated that was a terrible idea. Quickly he left now visibly limping.

The Lady left last and closed the broken door, which meant only Sherlock Holmes and Dr- Watson remained.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.