main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Stranger Things thread (Tag All Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i really dont understand the impulse to commit another 7+ hours of your life to something you literally just finished spending 7+ hours of your life consuming. not when there's so many great tv shows, movies, books, and, like, going the **** outside left to experience. it seems like a very strange waste

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow. What a great show. Great atmosphere.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Season 2 needs to get Jonathan and Nancy together. Show's great. David Harbour needs to be in more stuff.

4. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    just finished. random thoughts:

discount bin andrew garfield turned out to be the best and most interesting character, so good on him. disagree with the suggestion that nancy should end up with the brooding loner. steve has shown far more willingness to work through his personality flaws than jonathan has

concurring with penguinator on david harbour owning bones. hopefully this was the shot in the arm his career needed

eleven never went full on elfen lied. the... incident... with the evil social worker and co came pretty close but you really need to casually pick limbs off of humans like wings from a fly to give the full elfen lied experience

the monster was kind of boring looking, lets be real. and why is it impervious to small arms fire? don't say "the eighties"

winona rider is kind of annoying and a terrible mom

the old lady who works at the police department is the best "old lady who works at the police department" in the history of film and television. the final, sublime distillation of a time-honored trope

mr clarke is a pimp and the real hero of this story because he relentlessly inspires kids to science.

matthew modine is the dark mirror of our hero mr clarke. if only he had used his science powers to inspire, instead of to do ill

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I am four episodes In and I really Like It! It Is as If A Steven Spielberg movie and a Stephen King Mini series had a baby! The kids are what makes this great, Nerds like us! there is some really bad acting but the Story and Soundtrack are great and with the bad acting there is some really good acting as well, and am I the only one who gets a Tron Legacy score feel to the Symphonic Score, I have never seen the Original Tron so I don't know what It sounds Like?

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm actually pleased that Nancy and Jonathan didn't get together. Discount Andrew Garfield wasn't all that bad, and the hot girl falling in love with the nerd over a shared terrible experience has been done too many times.

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

precisely. and as i mentioned in my edit, steve at least has experienced a character arc and change and growth showing that he might be ready for a relationship. jonathan is still the same weirdo loner he was at the beginning of the series

8. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    I agree with you yeah. Like ET had sex with Pennywise and the goonies watched.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell. Can we get back to Steve?

Yeah...Steve. Steve told his so-called friends to **** off. He'll do OK by Nancy.

vin and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It's a little less Daft Punky.

11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I liked how Nancy said the Pentax wasn't really a Christmas gift but rather a consolation prize for not getting the girl. A pretty good one too, and Jonathon was rightfully placated.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well...have you ever consumed any sort of media more than once? A show, a film, a book, a song?

There's an entirely different perspective with a second viewing of this, I assume. I haven't watched it again myself, but I want to.

13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

i have and, cards on the table, im seriously considering starting the Malazan Book of the Fallen from the beginning again (ive only read the first five main series books and some of the side stories). so i mean i guess i have no room to criticize and ill shut up now. to each their own

Diggy likes this.
  14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I thought the monster was ok looking but also a bit confused about its own nature. Was it just a hungry predator laying eggs out in the open, or did it have grand plans to build a big Alien-style hive? The late-breaking ripoff of Newt's tale from Aliens was completely uncalled for.

15. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    also there's no way its mouth parts would work, right?

Rylo Ken likes this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I thought it's mouth was sort of a Venus Fly Trap in its construction.

Point Given likes this.
  17. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    As a quick aside, I'm 2/3rds of the way through the second book, Deadhouse Gates and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

that book is one of the most epic reading experiences ive ever had. closely rivalled by the third book. i envy you experiencing them for the first time

yeah but i just dont see how that scales up from closing around an insect to biting faces off. although, from what we did see of its victims its really unclear if it actually bites people at all or just puts eels in them

Point Given likes this.
  19. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

Yeah it's incredible. Mao's Long March, Coltaine's Chain of Dogs is one of the best things I've ever read.

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

please let me know when you finish. i want to help you on the road to piecing your emotional health back together

in fact, ill up the malazan thread for you to leave your impressions in, but i recommend not actually reading any of it as it is spoilery :p

21. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Nah, I was thinking it was like the wolfman from Monster Squad emptied his nads in Nancy from A Nightmare on Elm Street while Gordie(Wil Wheaten, not his older self who hid while Roy Scheider made that son of a bitch shark smile) from Stand By Me watched while feverishly bopping his bologna.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Didjyall see that this got renewed for season 2 and is set for "several seasons"?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    that's great news!

I had sort of mapped out the ending of the first season in my head and was really surprised and disappointed when it didn't end the way I'd written it, which was Eleven getting caught by the rogue Energy department nuts at the middle school and taken back to the lab along with the boys. Then there would be an epic final battle with the monster in the lab next to the gate, with Eleven using all her power at the end to close the gate with the added drama of Winona's group trying to make it back out through the gate before it closes permanently. El would not have sacrificed herself but would have drained her powers completely and thus could continue her life as a regular girl.

I plagiarized this end from the last novel of the original Earthsea trilogy.

But now there has to be a second season, because that damn gate is still open as far as I can tell (otherwise how did Winona get back?)

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Not at all: at the start he was a harmless wimp-loner, but by the end he had learned to use violence to solve his problems. He has learned to conform to social norms.
    --------------​
    I do have a question I need answering for my peace of mind: if the Upside-Down is an analogue of "our" world, do the funky cars wee see there actually move by themselves so they maintain the spacial relationship with our plane, or is the Upside-Down a snapshot of a particular point in time that has then diverged?

Perhaps the monster has to spend most of his time getting into cars and driving them to the correct point, and that's why he's so cranky?

Jedi Merkurian and Revyl Ren like this.
  25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Watched the first two episodes last night. Very hooked already, certainly has a goonies vibe. Really like the cast and dig the Jefferson Airplane tunes.