main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph (The) Suicide Squad

Discussion in 'Community' started by BigAl6ft6, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    From what I've heard, they're going to do a kind of "special" product marketing that's more geared towards and "older" audience. It's funny, there was a time when Terminator 2 (a very R-rated film) had a kids toy line that was widely promoted. Those days are long gone.

2. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    A few things:

-Viola Davis as Amanda Waller-As awesome as I expected it appears.
    -Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn-Ditto. Her accent isn't a "pronounced" as I'd expected (especially given that she did one in TWOWS), but I'm ok with that.
    -Jared Leto as The Joker-He seems suitably creepy/psychopathic. But if those thugs dressed up in silly outfits are his goons, then he still seems to have a dark/twisted sense of humor.
    -I quite like the tone that they seem to be going for here.
    -I wonder if they'll do the Harley/Deadshot relationship from the New 52 comics/animated movie. Will Smith and Margot Robbie had some good chemistry in Focus.

Overall, I'm onboard.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The trailer was just beautiful.

4. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012

What he said.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

This. Take my money.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I bet Wocky is singing to the heavens.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Now I'm imagining Walken voicing Jar Jar. Best thing ever.

tom likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Because we have individual Marvel threads for the Marvel films.

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That's silly, too.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not to mention individual threads all over the place for the "Star Wars" films.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This trailer looked better than the pics.

12. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Not to be a negative nelly, but may I politely request that someone explain the appeal of this movie? I read comics because of the heroics and the power fantasy, preferring to believe that if I had superheroic abilities I would use them for good. What is the attraction in centering a superhero film on villains? They're selfish, apathetic, cruel, possibly psychotic. Where is the fun in that, unless we can see them getting their righteous comeuppance?

13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    We should have one thread called "Movies" and close all the other threads. :p

14. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

IMDB is a public wiki - pretty much anybody can edit the content. IMDB is not confirmation if somebody is in or not. However, smaller roles published on IMDB by somewhat unknown actors/actresses tend to be more accurate as they will be promoted by the actor's agency. Affleck is a star, so I'd consider that unofficial. However, he's on pictures on the set, so he's in.

Google Hooded Woman for Game of Thrones sometime (warning A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones spoilers).

15. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Batfleck is in two movies to date: BvS and SS. We can see him in the trailer for both films, which has to set some kind of record (playing the same character in two non-sequel movies released the same year), so those two are unarguable.

The third is the recently announced standalone Batman film. The fourth and fifth are the two JLA films. Barring the actor's death, or the unlikely event that BvS tanks at the B.O., it's an iron-clad certainty that Affleck will be in five DC movies as the Bat.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    As for the overall dark tone, I would say that since Synder's Man of Steel, which is overall a dark flick even with little snippets of good here and there but it's overall vibe is very much influenced by Nolan's dark tone of his Batflicks, if you're doing a super-villain centric movie, you basically have to turn the dial on nihilistic tone over to something like Ayer's level.

Sometimes seeing the baddies do bad stuff can be compelling. I don't think all superhero movies are just heroic power fantasies. Sometimes it's a visceral thrill to flip that around. Also it looks like they're basically being blackmailed into doing something good here. So that's the irony, these are bad people who will probably succumb to their more base worse natures but they're basically pushed into being good guys.

17. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    I appreciate the explanation! Obviously I'll give the film a chance; I'm a huge Batfan and the chance to see him on-screen even for a short scene is compelling. Maybe despite my loathing of the characters, the movie will thrill me for the reasons BigAl6ft6 enumerates. I love Scarface, for example, which is certainly about homicidal bad guys. So there is hope. :cool:

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The point with Suicide Squad in the comics was seeing the villains work for the government and deciding if this was the life for them. Deadshot and Captain Boomerang were the longest running members in the pre "Flashpoint" universe, having been in multiple iterations of the team. They're allowed to kill and not have it be an issue so long as they're not killing each other or someone who is not their target. Some of the Squad is made up of heroes as well. Katana, Rick Flag, Vixen, Oracle and Bronze Tiger. Even Superboy worked with the Squad for a three part story arc in 1994.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah they're going to be the "good guys" in the movie but they're basically conscripted into it and they're still bad people who do bad stuff. But eventually, as these types of stories go, they may like the gig. And some may end up dying horribly / betraying others, etc.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    For me, the main attraction of Suicide Squad is Harley Quinn. I've been waiting for a long time for the character to get a live action treatment.

I don't think Margot Robbie does the Batman TAS Harley Quinn voice though, which I was hoping for.

21. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

No, this Harley Quinn is the "throaty trailer park chainsmoker".

22. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    For a similar reason that GOTG was appealing to me, it's something different. "A group of amoral space-misfits who have to come together and save the day almost in spite of their natural instincts, cool." "A group of villains who are forced to work with the government and save the day from even worse threats, cool."

Plus when it's at it's best, the really fun part of SS is it's unpredictable and seeing this not very nice people play off of each other.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I was never really expecting TAS Harley. One, we haven't gotten her in the comics for a long time (including her solo book, which is quite good btw). And two, while TAS got away with a surprising amount, it still had restrictions placed on it due to being an animated "family" show. This movie, is not that. And, having seen most of David Ayer's work, you don't hire him and then through a bunch of restrictions on him. So this film will probably show you just how damaged/broken she really is (which has always been there, just not quite a the forefront).

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, TAS Harley is still the best Harley.

Also, did DC really say that "Harley Quinn is a great rolemodel for young girls because she is 'Sexy without being Skanky'" and then have her like this?

jabberwalkie likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    FTFY