main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Gaming The Super Mario Super Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Aug 2, 2002.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'd actually play a football game.

tom likes this.
  2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Bring back Strikers and Superstar Baseball.

Ramza likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Jul 13, 2008
    The world needs an arcade-y football game, and also an arcade-y football game.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Mahomes brings the arcadey to RL football. We need Nintendo to do the rest.

5. Rew

Rew Force Ghost star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I know folks are already talking about it in the Switch thread, but I figured I could bring the discussion into its proper thread.

A trailer for a new Paper Mario game just dropped today! Seemingly out of nowhere too.

Even though Nintendo has shown no inclination to return to the format or style of the acclaimed first two games in the series, that by no means indicates that this game doesn't look awesome as hell. It looks to be far more story-driven than recent entries, with lots of wild action, and kickass music (this latter has always been a staple of the series). And possibly legit party members? Hard to tell.

Tentatively, I'm excited for it. I hated Sticker Star but genuinely enjoyed Color Splash--all except for the battle mechanics. I just need for this game not to have a consumable-based battle system, and I think I might just be all in.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The concentric ring alignment battle system looks very interesting. RPG meets puzzle.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Small detail I never noticed until now.

christophero30 likes this.
  8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 9

May 18, 2017
    I'm trying to beat Super Mario World but those water levels just kill me.

9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    So Hasbro unveiled Super Mario Celebration Monopoly and Jenga games.

[​IMG]

I feel like this is further indication that the rumored Switch remasters of Mario’s back catalog are real, as I doubt that Super Mario Celebration branding is an one-off for a couple of board games.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Game Winner star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's that time of year again. It's time for Mario Marathon!

There are a group of guys in Indiana that get together and play Mario games for 3 days straight for "Child's Play Charity". This year will be a little different, but I definitely plan on checking it out like I do every year.

It's slated to start July 30th @ 11 AM EST.

Code:
    https://www.mariomarathon.com/
    https://www.twitch.tv/mariomarathon/

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So it seems Nintendo have probably registered Twitter handles referring to Super Mario Bros' 35th anniversary. Just checked and the actual anniversary is in September.... so I'm really really hoping this means we will in fact get an announcement of a Mario 64 remake for Switch soon. I never played that whole game and would love to play it (and the Galaxy Games, also rumored).

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  12. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    Has there been any indication about what's next for the Mario series proper? It sort of seems like there's not any more creative "space" for the series to move forward into. They've done literally everything. Squeezing Odyssey out of the series after they had already gone into outer space was an achievement in itself. Now what?

I for one think it would be cool if they did 3D remakes of the original four Mario games (SMB 1,2,3 + World) that play back-to-front a la the original Crash Bandicoot games, although of course with a lot of new bells and whistles to keep things fresh.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I am not interested in yet more sidescrollers, no.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Other than the potential remakes of the first 2 main series 3D games and the 2 Galaxy games, there's been speculation that there might have been SMO DLC in the works that has expanded into a full game sequel ala SMG2. But I don't think that would hit this year alongside all the remasters.

I wouldn't be surprised to see SM3DW rereleased in January, though.

There's always been rumors of a third SMG game being a possibility but I don't think there's anything concrete behind them. I honestly wouldn't expect the next step in the franchise until the next platform comes out. Because the game design will probably be based around whatever the hardware or controllers can do. So, no way to tell if it'll be a 64/SMS/SMO-style 3D game, or a SMG-style game, or a SM3DW hybrid or something new.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    An Odyssey sequel would be my dream.

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Game Winner star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Mario Marathon is live.
    Code:
    https://www.twitch.tv/mariomarathon

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    How could she?!

[​IMG]

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, I've been really wanting to play a Mario game all weekend since that Direct. Wasn't sure which I was going to circle back to- almost did 3D World but decided to pick up my Galaxy 1 save. Popped a few AA batteries into the wiimote (since my rechargeable ones that came with my awesome Rabbid charger station have apparently died and Madcatz no longer makes them, obviously) and boote dup the Wii U in Wii Mode. Had 112 stars. Sweet, only a few more to go (not counting Luigi). Decided to do the 100 purple coin challenge in Dusty Dune Galaxy. Managed to get all 100 in about 20 mins.

...just not at the same time. That would take me another hour and a half. At one point managed to get all but three of them (missed the three above the Thwomp) and got killed by the debris twisters on the way back. Arg! Several poorly timed jumps and more blunt force traumas and I started to focus on tackling the debris twister/timer switch coins first, so as to not waste time redoing the parts I know I could do with more ease. I also figured out the debris twisters (at least kinda).

And that strategy worked! I managed to unlock the star... in mid jump across a small gap. Eek! But I survived, yay! Phew! So I turned around and hopped over towards the twister that could help get over to the star... and missed that simple jump, leading to death. NOOOOO!!!

So, one more final try and-dammit, fell off the Thwomp in the wrong spot. Erg, Ok, so, one more final try and I chose my coin approach smartly to avoid the heart attacks of last time and was extra, extra careful. The star is mine, finally! 113 stars in the bag, and that galaxy is now complete (I've also been participating in too many Star Trek conversations here, because I just had to revise that sentence to make sure I don't capitalize "galaxy" ;)).

Ya know, people complained about Sunshine's camera but I never had a problem with it (with possible exception to one platforming challenge behind a building). But Galaxy trying to be smart with it and changing the angle either mid jump or when returning from a different direction murdered me several times over...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Nobody145, Rew and solojones like this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Congrats!

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This isn't even the hardest thing in this game by a long shot. Just a hilariously extended series of screw-ups and bad luck on my part [face_laugh]. I definitely should have had this done in under a half hour. Clearly, I'm rusty. But, then, I haven't played this for 7 years, so I feel I can excuse it this time only, ha.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And, Holy Hell, "Luigi's Purple Coins" can go rot in Lower Norfair. 100 coin challenge made up entirely of one-time-use platforms, rotating platforms and poison sludge that potentially (or, if you're not very careful, very likely) leaves you unable to get to the star even if you get 100 of the coins...

TiniTinyTony and solojones like this.
  22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Booted up 3D All-Stars, Mario Galaxy is just as good as I remember it. A bit odd controlling things without a Wiimote, and I'm only at the intro level (going to sleep in a few minutes). Its ok so far with the Pro Controller, no idea how it would handle with other control schemes.

I had forgotten how... clunky 64 feels in comparison to Galaxy, I haven't touched this game in years. I'll try out Sunshine later.

TiniTinyTony and Rew like this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    My copy is out for delivery since I went with physical... But it says it'll be here "by 8pm"

[face_plain]

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yep, my copy is also out for delivery before PM as well. Managed to squeak in the final 2 stars in my original save file and beat the game again this morning to meet my self-imposed deadline.

[​IMG]

Took me a few lives to remember how to fight Bowser in the game, as well as adjust to some of the gravity control swaps.

How does it handle collecting the starbits? That was something where you really needed the wiimote being able to independently target them and almost aim while not looking (or just idly swiping the wiimote to collect random bits).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    solojones likes this.
  25. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    The gyro of the controller acts as the pointer, so it's almost like using a Wiimote - if you're using the Joy-Con. For a Pro controller, it's slightly more awkward as all of the controller has to be moved. I'm pretty sure there's a way to use the right stick as well, since Galaxy didn't have much in the way of camera control.

Gotta say, I'm enjoying playing through Sunshine for the first time. It'll be fun to revist the other two, but for now I'm enjoying the one I've missed out on.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    The2ndQuest likes this.