main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Super Mario Super Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    The Angry Video Game Nerd has the best quote about Wario Land: "I wish I could say it sucks, but it's actually a good game. Damn good, in fact. But, only one problem: it's on Virtual Boy."

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    [face_laugh] yup. That might be the only really good game on the system, although Mario Tennis is pretty good. The system ony had about 22 games.

3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Ooo, I kinda want to replay this...but then again I kinda don't. That one horrible, horrible tower that I think was in World 8.....

I also did not play Mario 64 back in the day, and only got around to it with the DS version. And that game too was incredibly rage-worthy.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    christophero30 likes this.
  4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    The Virtual Boy died forever young.

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I also missed out on 64 back in the day. Never owned an N64, so the first time I played it was on the recent 3D All-Stars package. I didn’t get very far. After playing the masterful Galaxies and the slightly lower tier but still fantastic Odyssey, 64 is just really tough to go back to if you don’t have nostalgia for it.

6. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    They should port Wario Land on the VB to the Switch. Maybe put the Game Boy Warios on there too.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't believe we've ever had an official VB emulation option- and they might be reluctant to port it without maintaining the 3D effect (they really should have done this on the 3DS). The GBA Warios were on Wii U VC, though. The GB ones might have been on 3DS VC?

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I don’t think Nintendo wants to acknowledge the Virtual Boy library existed. Even the Virtual Boy barely gets nods in, like, Smash trophies.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They don't lean heavily into it, for obvious reasons. But they don't totally ignore it- previous Animal Crossings had the VB as a piece of furniture and ROB has an alternate VB color scheme in Smash, for instance. And they usually acknowledge Mario Tennis's origins on the system.

10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    They rarely parody it (and are usually self-aware about it). Like in Luigi's Mansion 3, Luigi communicates with E. Gadd through the Virtual Boo, red graphics and all, with Gadd saying it would probably sell well.

christophero30 and Rew like this.
  11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I played Wario Land for VB on my tv. The 3D stuff still worked, you can go further away into the screen to unlock things, and there are holes in the screen with stiff behind it, creating a cool 3d effect like in old movies like the original King Kong, where they would paint the jungle on panes of glass for a 3d effect.

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I got all 100 Cat Shines in Bowser's Fury today. I started it about a week ago and put in maybe an hour a day. It was a lot of fun, and I recommend it, but now I understand why it's not worth the purchase in itself without playing through the more robust Super Mario 3D World, which I did back on the Wii U back in 2013. Good thing it was a Christmas present so I don't have buyer's remorse.

Personally, I still prefer the Galaxy games with the constraints of gravity verses having no gravity in these games and games like Odyssey. Jumping with no restrictions is more risk than reward. I almost feel like I had more controlled jumps in Super Mario 64 than I do in these newer games.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I need to circle back around to that. Was working on 100%'ing 3D World with some stints in Fury then got sidetracked. Too much to get caught up on.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Really, really hoping we get some news on an Odyssey 2 game. [face_waiting]

15. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    If it was gonna happen we’d know about it already, plus it’d almost feel like a step back after Bowser’s Fury.

But may I interest you in another Nintendo 3D platformer that focuses on different abilities and looks like an absolute blast that comes out in just over two months?

Just pretend like Kirby is Cappy and you’ve got your Odyssey 2 right there.

Rew likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Cute spot for the new Bowser LEGO coming out:

PCCViking likes this.
  17. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Nothing like getting close to 100 coins in a Super Mario 64 level, dying in some bull **** way, and getting sent back to the castle to start over from 0.

This is an objectively bad video game that I’m hate-playing in some masochistic attempt to get through all the mainline games in the series. It doesn’t help that I’m alternating between this and Yoshi’s Island, another bad video game. I’d rather be replaying Odyssey or the Galaxies at this point.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why have they never rebooted Captain N as a gritty, serious action drama?

19. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    If you’re playing it on the Switch, doesn’t it have a rewind or save state feature?

Also, talking about Yoshi’s Island that way is a bannable offense. [face_not_talking]

PCCViking likes this.
  20. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Not on the 3D All-Stars version. Probably should’ve just played the NSO version with save states, but I’m in too deep at this point. Gotta do it legit, ugh.

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I never owned a Nintendo console outside of a Gameboy/Gameboy Advance; but of course I played the systems over the years at friends' houses. I remember playing Mario 64 at my college dorm room in mid 90s.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    By Nintendo? No. But it exists unofficially. I have VB games on the Super Console X Pro.

23. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    [​IMG]

So… maybe some of my previous words on this game were a tad harsh. Though it wasn’t without its frustrations, I kept coming back to Super Mario 64 for more. I got to 70 stars in the basement, which is certainly the weakest section of the game where most of the frustration lies. So defeating Bowser for the final time after that, I wasn’t a huge fan of the game and even called it the worst game I’d ever finished (to be fair, I don’t typically finish games I don’t enjoy).

Then it started to bug me that there were some levels I hadn’t even seen. I figured I at least owed the game that much. So I went back to it. And simultaneously I started watching the MinnMax Deepest Dive series on the game, and that sort of commentary helped me understand the game a little more, what people saw in it. It’s a very enjoyable watch.

And I have to say, that final section of levels on the upper floors really turned it around for me. Specifically the straightforward design of Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Ride (level based Mario is still my preferred style). Yes, there were some stars that were pretty frustrating to get, but I was determined to get all 120. And I did!

And I think I kinda love Super Mario 64 now. I do my best to think about it in the context of the time it came out, and it’s mind blowing to see all those innovations on display. The leaps they took with this game. Yes, the camera is bad. Yes, sometimes the way Mario moves can get in the way. But overall, I think it still holds up. And even when it’s bad, it’s still interesting, which is more than I can say for many modern 3D platformers.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    SM '64 brings me back to my college days in the mid to late 90s. I never owned a Nintendo console outside of a Gameboy (which I believe was the law during the 90s), but my college dorm roomate owned the Nintendo '64 and I'd play the SM game just to lay of steam in between studies and homework. While the graphics were interesting, I never really grew too accustomed to the controls.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The controls are pretty good, all things considered given that they were inventing 3D control language, more or less. A lot of the lessons they figured out stick around to this day. Hell, Mario still chases after rabbits today because they created the yellow rabbit right after Mario in order to test things like camera movement/controls/distance, etc.

It's also impressive how responsive Mario is, given how early of a 3D analog creation he is. Things such as the tip-toeing and precise rotational capabilities are pretty sensitive and varied.

I'm also endlessly fascinated by how much the fandom has pulled the game apart and analyzed every crevasse of the title. From trying to collect impossible coins that exist below a hill because the level designers raised the terrain without moving the coins to, first locating, then attempting to kill, the impossible Goomba (because they always spawn in sets of three [which I never realized] except in one spot in the game). It seems every five years people are still discovering something knew about a game that came out a quarter century ago.

Nostalgia-wise, there was almost nothing* like first getting my hands on Mario 64 (and Shadows of the Empire!) at a TRU preview event in my town. And though I didn't have a copy of my own until a month or two after launch, that launch week pretty much involved my whole high school friends circle walking home after school to the closest kids house that had SM64.

*Getting my hands on a Super Mario World demo in a Macys [back when they had an electronics department] came pretty close, though :).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    Reynar_Tedros likes this.