main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Gaming The Super Mario Super Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    The Angry Video Game Nerd has the best quote about Wario Land: "I wish I could say it sucks, but it's actually a good game. Damn good, in fact. But, only one problem: it's on Virtual Boy."

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 9

May 18, 2017
    [face_laugh] yup. That might be the only really good game on the system, although Mario Tennis is pretty good. The system ony had about 22 games.

3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 6

Apr 25, 2004
    Ooo, I kinda want to replay this...but then again I kinda don't. That one horrible, horrible tower that I think was in World 8.....

I also did not play Mario 64 back in the day, and only got around to it with the DS version. And that game too was incredibly rage-worthy.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    christophero30 likes this.
  4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    The Virtual Boy died forever young.

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I also missed out on 64 back in the day. Never owned an N64, so the first time I played it was on the recent 3D All-Stars package. I didn’t get very far. After playing the masterful Galaxies and the slightly lower tier but still fantastic Odyssey, 64 is just really tough to go back to if you don’t have nostalgia for it.

6. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    They should port Wario Land on the VB to the Switch. Maybe put the Game Boy Warios on there too.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't believe we've ever had an official VB emulation option- and they might be reluctant to port it without maintaining the 3D effect (they really should have done this on the 3DS). The GBA Warios were on Wii U VC, though. The GB ones might have been on 3DS VC?

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Jul 13, 2008
    I don’t think Nintendo wants to acknowledge the Virtual Boy library existed. Even the Virtual Boy barely gets nods in, like, Smash trophies.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They don't lean heavily into it, for obvious reasons. But they don't totally ignore it- previous Animal Crossings had the VB as a piece of furniture and ROB has an alternate VB color scheme in Smash, for instance. And they usually acknowledge Mario Tennis's origins on the system.

10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    They rarely parody it (and are usually self-aware about it). Like in Luigi's Mansion 3, Luigi communicates with E. Gadd through the Virtual Boo, red graphics and all, with Gadd saying it would probably sell well.

christophero30 and Rew like this.
  11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I played Wario Land for VB on my tv. The 3D stuff still worked, you can go further away into the screen to unlock things, and there are holes in the screen with stiff behind it, creating a cool 3d effect like in old movies like the original King Kong, where they would paint the jungle on panes of glass for a 3d effect.