main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Super Mario Super Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Aug 2, 2002.

1. NewWorldOrder

NewWorldOrder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    makes me look forward to the next one even more

2. Smuggler_4_Life

Smuggler_4_Life Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005

As someone who has never played this game, I can't describe how dirty this sounds.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's actually rather kinky as it involves streams of projectile vomit that can turn fish into floating platforms.

4. Smuggler_4_Life

Aug 22, 2005
    Wow. Any game that involves projectile vomit has to be good. I glossed over this game when it came out, but now I'm hearing that it might be worth playing.

So is it similar to SM64? Better? Worse?

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's very similar (the basic structure of different worlds accessed from a hub-world where youc ollect a certain number of shines/stars from each), just with the water mechanics (which introduces hovering, rocketjumps and hyperdash abilities, among others- while riding Yoshi, the water spray ability is replaced by Yoshi vomiting a stream of fruit juice which can have other effects such as turning Cheep-Cheeps into floating platforms) and a bit less variety with the world themes (as every level is set on the tropical island, instead of snow, volcano, etc worlds) though each level offers variety within the tropical theme and are much larger than M64 levels.

I'd also consider it much harder than Mario 64, and it's got some pretty creative mini-games and even a couple rather challenging boss battles. And the afore-mentioned water mechanics really do add a lot to the game- you don't realize just how useful the hovering is for platforming until you get to one of the bonus level stages where they strip that ability from you and force you to rely on old-fashioned platforming skills.

And, considering the game came out 3 years ago, the game is absolutely worth whatever reduced price it's available at now, even if you're not quite as impressed by the game as I am ;)

Probably the only shortcoming of the game is the camera, which is pretty much the same as the one in Mario 64, though they at least show you Mario's shadow and other objects when the view becomes obstructed by the terrain.

When it first came out, I initially thought it was good but not great- almost too similar to Mario 64, but now as I've gotten deeper into the game and acquired some of the newer abilities and experienced some of the more creative aspects of the game, I've really started to admire it much, much more.

6. Smuggler_4_Life

Aug 22, 2005
    Thanks for the info! Looks like it's $20 at Target, which is right across the street from my office, so I may have to hop over there on my way home tonight.

Now I'll have to split my time between SWG and SMS. Oh, what a cruel world we live in.

7. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Looks like Mario 128 has been replaced. Trailer and screens should be up soon. From the gameplay looks like a mix between Starfox flying on rails and some platforming. Obviously like Zelda will probably be the showcase game to fully show what the Wiimote is capable of.

Basic game info.

The title of the game is a reference to the fact that, apparently, Super Mario Galaxy will take the series into space. Some of Mario's new abilities will have him literally swimming through space to his next destination. We caught brief glimpses of this and although it seemed unusual, it captured the whimsical spirit of the series. We also saw glimpses of Mario getting bombarded by angry Bullet Bills, and taking on a large, fiery octopus boss. Nintendo also stated that players would be able to make Mario bat away objects by using the Wii remote. What's more, the game looks like it's going to play with the player's sense of direction not just by making the rotund plumber travel through space, but also by running around the surface of curved planetoids and more.

8. Flames

Flames Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2006
    Cool :cool: Just what I want!
    Though it sucks that you need the control stick attachment to control it. I was hoping for a Mario game that would utilize the remote to its full extent :(

Super Mario rules
    /Flames

9. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    The left hand uses the stick to control movement while the Wiimote is used to swing and bat away objects, I'm guessing. Pretty much the same way games are played now. With the exception of you using your right arm instead of your right thumb on the analogue stick.

10. Flames

Apr 18, 2006
    Yeah, I know. I was hoping for more innovation, more daring moves, more REVOLUTION....

Wii - it should be much more
    /Flames

11. ziontempo

ziontempo Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2006
  12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I anticipated they'd do a space variant Mario a decade ago. They're . . . late. :rolleyes:

13. Flames

Apr 18, 2006
    I hope the game keeps this title, because it gives me the same kind of feeling that "Super Mario World" gave me the first time I read about it. The world of Super Mario seems to become much bigger than before.

BTW, Excellence: You're right, this should've happened a long time ago. This is the first time in 10 years that they take the series to a new level.

SMG - nice abbreviation
    /Flames

14. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    Some movies. Wish they would have a movie that shows how the controller is working alongside the footage.

Trailer.

Gameplay.

15. Flames

Apr 18, 2006
    Nice :)

Shake it!
    /Flames

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Supposedly they are looking into ways to allow 3 other players to participate in the game- eitehr working for or against Mario.

I'm hoping for against- yet another scenario where the Wii will result in outbreaks of physical violence amongst friends and family. [face_devil]

17. ziontempo

ziontempo Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2006
    lol...wow,, that wud be wickedd...multiplayer mario

18. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    We disagree on EU, but it's nice to know Quest and I see eye-to-eye on Nintendo :p

Wii, it's for lovers.

Err, and by 'lovers' I naturally mean online personalities bereft of homoerotica. [face_worried]

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  20. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Didn't Mario go to space in Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins for the Game Boy?

Still, this looks to be on a much larger scale. I can't wait. :)

21. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Yes, he did. I still have that game.:)

22. Flames

Apr 18, 2006
    I don't think the game concept was highly affected by Mario going to space in SML2, though. In SMG, the whole concept seems to be based on it, which makes it drastically different from the earlier titles. The jump from Sunshine to Galaxy won't be like SMW to SM64, of course, but maybe like SMB to SMB3.

EDIT: I would be very happy if SMG turned out to have multiplayer options. It's been so lonely playing Super Mario games since SMW :(

BRING LUIGI BACK, NINTENDO(not really counting SM64DS)!

Galaxies - they are spacy
    /Flames

23. ziontempo

ziontempo Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2006
    5up3r m4r10 64|4xy 0wn50rz... 1 4m |337 m4573r 0f 7h3 un1v3r53....5p0r3 ru|35 4nd 7h3r3 15n07h1n6 y0u (4n d0 480u7 17..|0|...50rry, 1 4m ju57 r34||y r34||y 80r3d....1 h473 wh3n p30p|3 74|k |1k3 7h15...1 ju57 w4n7 70 4nn0y 50m3 p30p|3 4nd 533 1f 7h3r3 4r3 07h3r p30p|3 wh0 74|k |1k3 7h15...|0|...|473r...0rz

24. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    [face_plain]

Anyhow, I think this game looks great, and appears to really work well with the Wiimote motion sensing concept. Wonder what the story will be like... [face_thinking]

25. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Bowser is somehow threatening the Mushroom Galaxy or somesuch. Peach may or may not be involved as a kidnap victim.