main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Oct 9, 2011.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Liberals have won June Medical.

Conservative screaming commences momentarily.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'd be cautious -- it's four liberals and Roberts with a concurring opinion... let's wait and see what the concurring opinion is... but yes, good news so far.

3. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    David, we've been doing this a long time-- we both know that anything less than complete victory sends conservatives to the scream circuit.

Speaking of the scream circuit, always nice to be reminded that there are four (and really five, but officially four in this case) men on the Court ready to shut down women's right to choose how to govern their own bodies.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So yeah... Roberts' entire concurrence was (cursory glance) "you people are morons, this is almost the exact same law as Women's Whole Health and stare decisis is an important thing. I hated the decision, but we have to support this!"

EDIT: Last case today, Selia v. CFPB by Roberts.

EDIT2: Basically, Solomon splitting the baby as I understand it: CFPB is contitutional, but director must be fully-accountable to the President. So POTUS can do whatever (s)he wants with the CFPB, but the CFPB unto itself is Constitutional if I understand.

5. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

Surprise!

Edit:

afrojedi, Ghost, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    the attempts by louisiana and texas to restrict abortion access pale in comparison to at least two "heartbeat bills" that have reached the south carolina general assembly over the last few years, both only to fail in the 11th hour.

hopefully this decision acts as a deterrent to some of our backwoods legislators. won't hold my breath - much like guns, the conservatives who obsess over abortion define their life by it.

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    This response was great:

8. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Every time I think about that boil serving on the Court for the next 2 to 3 decades it grinds my gizzard. Alito being the shameless partisan that he is is bad enough but Kavanaugh is just the sort of stick-it-to-the-libs activist Republicans have been salivating after for 40 years.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Part of me is wondering if Roberts isn’t joining the liberals to help juice conservative turnout this fall. Backlash is probably the most predictable thing in American politics, and this gives the Republicans a huge talking point on judges. Why else would he switch sides from the 2015 Texas case? Remember, this is the same justice who stated that ‘stare decisis is not an inexorable command’, and now is singing its praises.

Either way, the point is ultimately moot if Trump wins again, as RBG’s replacement (and Stephen Breyer’s as well), will likely be in the mold of Clarence Thomas.

Also, where the **** does Kavanaugh get off? Him voting to overturn Roe would probably lead to riots.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So basically gives free reign to black sites and stuff

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    You're thinking too much, Jay (or maybe just projecting). I don't think Roberts thinks like that at all.

Ghost and Vaderize03 like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Easier to virtue signal when you're not the deciding vote. This time, he knew there would be consequences for not concurring.

afrojedi, Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, exactly. Roberts, for all his faults, views the court with reverence -- and this is a bedrock principle. Anything less would have been a cluster...

That's definitely my key takeaway, yes -- except for US citizens. But yes.

Yodaminch and Juliet316 like this.
  14. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    If stare decisis is such a bedrock principle, then why do Roberts’ fellow conservative justices seem to hold it in such disdain where their personal views are concerned? One would think his ‘reverence’ would rub off on them to a degree. Clearly it hasn’t.

I agree that upholding Louisiana's law would have been a cluster, but my point is that 4 justices already don’t care. One more Trump appointee and no amount of reverence will prevent other precedents from falling.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Basically, the argument against was there was enough of a minuscule difference in the laws that WWH shouldn't apply.

So, also tea leaves -- supposedly SCOTUS announces the day before that the following set of opinions will be the last from the court. And they haven't (yet). So we're going into July -- thought they've already announced a conference on Wed. for orders but not yet opinions... may still happen.

Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    right on cue..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

he is.

17. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Yeah Toobin’s clearly off his meds.

afrojedi and heels1785 like this.
  18. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Something possessed me to see what a conservative website is saying about June Medical, so I looked at National Review. I was not disappointed:

I bolded the key parts, which happen to be the same things that the Courts' liberals eviscerated Louisiana on. They clearly showed that abortion is a safe procedure by any measure, and that one of the reasons that it would be so difficult for those performing abortions to get hospital admitting privileges is because there are so few instances that require hospital intervention. There is, of course, no mention of this in the article.

It's bad faith taken as an objective standard, which more or less describes conservatism in general these days.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Or Quarantine's getting to him.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Booking.com opinion allows them to trademark, well, Booking.com -- 8-1 ruling. At least one more opinion coming today...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  21. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    So, we’re definitely going into July then?

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, we knew we were since today wasn't announced as last day -- but Ginsburg authored Booking.com so only she/Thomas/Roberts will be doing any more opinions.

EDIT: And we're done for the day with Espinoza weakening separation of church and state (conceptually).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Yodaminch likes this.
  23. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Trump's taxes get to hide for at least one more day.

24. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    What makes me nervous is Thomas not having issued an opinion today...

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There are 8 more and I think he's got 5 already. So that's not out of line.

Yodaminch likes this.