main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I know that abortions would eventually become legal again probably pretty quickly but I still wouldn’t think it’ll be worth it. I just hate that in the end it’s almost certain that this wacko will end up on the court.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm not a fan of even short-term Handmaidization of some portion of the population, especially when it will disproportionately affect poor and/or minority women... I'd prefer it not happen at all.

darthcaedus1138, Ghost, MrZAP and 6 others like this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    But we have to face the realization that she is almost certainly going to get on the court that means if Biden wins and we win the Senate need to force them to pack the court

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    It’ll happen faster than you think, like in one or two election cycles. Why? Because of states like Ohio which have teed up “implant ectopic pregnancies in the uterus or face a 2nd-degree murder charge” laws just in case Roe goes away. Governor DeWine has already said he’d sign it. If that happens, say goodbye to having any practicing OB’s in that state.

Post-Roe, Congressional Republicans will go for a national ban. That will turn them into a regional party for good. So yes, it sucks for the women who will be harmed in the meantime, but as the pandemic has revealed, you can’t “tell” Americans anything, you have to “show” them.

@dp4m

I’m with you bro, but unfortunately we’re well past that point. It’s going to take a handmaidenization for a swing back of the pendulum on this issue to occur. Democrats just didn’t fight hard enough until it was too late, and now, this is where we are. It sucks, but it’s also the truth.

EDIT: No, don’t pack the Court. Pass a sweeping reproductive ‘Bill of Rights’ and place it outside of judicial review. Make it a 75-vote Senate threshold for repeal.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    You may be right but that would be thousands maybe millions of unwanted pregnancies that people will not be able to end safely.

so either they do unsafe illegal abortions or they carry to baby

MrZAP and Juliet316 like this.
  6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I don't think they'll go for a nationwide ban unless they have the popular support to do so - in which case, they'll go for a constitutional amendment.

In the meantime, they've found effective ways to hamstring abortion in states where they control the legislature or the courts by nickel and dime-ing it to death. It's much like taxing the rich - maintain higher gross tax rates for the rich so you can complain about how unfair they are being treated, while having a million loopholes where some ****ing wealthy con man pays $750 in taxes. They'll keep abortion 'legal' to run on it while making it virtually impossible to get one.

7. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Like I said, it’s terrible, but that’s where we’re heading. Unless the Court does something unexpected, Roe is toast, and this is where we’ll end up.

I hope the media—mainstream and social—interview women who’ve been harmed by loss of access 24/7 and tie them to every Republican in the country. It’s the only way to hold them accountable.

This is already happening. The only thing left to do is put the final nail in Roe’s coffin. They’re itching to do it. What remains to be seen is if they suffer the consequences.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The only way we will end the abortion debate is with an Amendment and that goes for both sides

Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Tipping the court to overturn Roe v. Wade could unleash a more powerful political force than these anti-women's rights and anti-choice voters ever brought. The delicate balance the Republicans have to stay in power could be completely undone by this.

Also if Trump losses the election in three weeks but is still hanging around politically in four and eight years - that could get very interesting. I could see him turning into a farce without hope of winning nationally but still pulling enough voters to completely undermine the Republican Party. He's be like a super charged H. Ross Perot - splitting the Trump voters from the Republican voters.

Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    If trump loses and if he runs again which I am almost certain he will and if he loses the primary I could totally see him doing 3rd party screwing over the GOP.

11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Private citizen & candidate Trump could be derailing the GOP for the next decade. Spoiling senate races. Dashing presidential hopes. Attacking Republicans more than Democrats. Just a general liability to the unity and political aspirations of the Republican Party.

Yodaminch, MrZAP, Rew and 2 others like this.
  12. PCCViking

PCCViking 5X Wacky Wednesday & 4x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Only once has an incumbent President lost his second bid, then won a non-consecutive term (Grover Cleveland) and only one former President managed to do damage to his former party (Theodore Roosevelt by getting more electoral college votes as a third party than the Republican incumbent Taft in 1912).

13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    That reads like a challenge to Trump.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    She’s my age; for all the complaints about Boomers, a lot of our generation is terrible.

Something about her voice grates on my nerves too.

15. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I find 90% of politicians have grating voices.

7 out of 10 say GenXers are worse than Boomers. Sorry to hear you're tied up with that lot.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    L. O. L.

Somebody needs to bring this up in the hearing and then ask her to demonstrate exactly how one says the n-word in a non-hostile way. Though that decision was apparently unanimous. What is wrong with people?

SHE IS NOT POLITICAL HOW DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS YET but yeah you're right, they almost all do and this hearing is a great opportunity to sample the full range of grating sounds.

I think the moment of the hearings so far is when Kennedy decided to compare the sexual assault victims who protested the Kavanaugh hearings to the aliens in Star Wars.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Before FLAUM, MANION, and BARRETT, Circuit Judges.

Barrett -- appointed by Trump.
    Flaum -- appointed by Reagan.
    Manion -- appointed by Reagan.

I think my work here is done...

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    haha. I think you're kidding. Of course Judges are political. Them saying they are not political acting so high above politics is one of the most political things they do.

You can see the political ambition during the hazing hearings. The Justice to be knows the senator is grilling them, but they also know they will get a life time job. They go along with it all and play the part secure knowing they'll be in their position of government without fear of losing it long after most of the Senators talking to them are history.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yes, I am kidding.

20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    This Coney lady gives off some major horror movie vibes. Like an evil mother in law who appears all sweet and innocent but you can just tell something is way off about her.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Especially since she refuses to give a straight answer while sounding like Dolores Umbridge with a side of chalk.

‘What if the President wanted to postpone the election?’

‘Well I would have to look at...’

No. The answer is no. I’m not an attorney but Klobuchar is, and she pointed that out. The answer is legally no.

22. Bob Saget from the 90's

Bob Saget from the 90's Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 27, 2018
    I might use sexual preference and sexual orientation interchangeably in conversation and not mean to infer I believe it’s a choice.

What was the context she used the term in?

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Basically that one can choose whether or not to be gay or straight.

24. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Honestly, for me this answer has been the most alarming thing in these hearings so far.

25. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    To me it is disqualifying. Half the Senate are attorneys. So they are asking questions they know the answer to and if a Supreme Court justice can't answer that question, then they do not know the law better than the Senator asking. That is a problem.