main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Senate The Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Oct 9, 2011.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Four Realms star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I can think of nine people in Charleston who might like a word as well.

Ghost, Rew, Vaderize03 and 5 others like this.
  2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    and 310 in Sri Lanka last year

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2005
    Fun fact: Benjamin Franklin invented the lightning rod. Apparently buildings getting struck by lightning was a moderately serious problem in the 18th century.

There was a religious outcry against the usage of lightning rod, though. No, seriously. The line of reasoning, if you want to call it that, was that a bolt of lightning striking a building was Divine Providence, and that a lightning rod was humanistic defiance of the judgement of God.
    The issue was resolved when Franklin pointed out that lightning invariably destroyed the tallest buildings, and these in turn were almost always churches with steeples. In fact, churches were the most common type of buildings to be struck by lightning. Religious objections soon ceased afterwards (especially since the holdouts often had their steeples explode or catch fire).
    There's a lesson here, I think.

Ghost, Rew, CT-867-5309 and 4 others like this.
  4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    There is indeed, but if COVID is any indication, it seems like people were more open to learning new things in the 18th Century than they are today.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host - Hangman Winner star 9 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That's because God will teach them all they need to know. They don't need none of them new fangled sciency things.

6. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Or none of them gay people.

I would hope that the Court would not pull back this right so quickly, but given that Chief Justice Roberts was against marriage equality in Obergefell, I'm not optimistic. I'm sure there are 4 votes to revisit the case at this point.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  7. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Force Ghost star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Thank god Trump is stupid. Judging by his call in today with Fox News, he's shown that he truly has no idea how the legal system works, or is supposed to work. He thinks because he's the President, he has standing in court. And he pledges to use 125% of his energy to now overturn the election because he has all the evidence of the dems cheating. Although, he did indicate that getting your case seen by SCOTUS is really hard. So maybe Rudy is actually preparing him for the news that SCOTUS has no intention of hearing his 'case'.