main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The symbolism of Palpatine

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Obi-Ewan, Mar 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    It seems to me that with Palpatine, Lucas is using imagery to metaphorically suggest what Palpatine is doing, sometimes by equating him with an animal.

In ROTJ, he sat with his chair right in front of that round window. Given the design of the window, he looked like a spider in the middle of a web. In Episode I, he whispered into Padme's ear from the side, like the snake tempting Eve. And in Episode II, I couldn't find any animal imagery, so I hope this doesn't sound like a stretch. The senate is a womb like environment, and the Chancellor's podium looks rather phallic. Seems appropriate then, that it is in the Senate that the Empire is born.

2. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    With the Chancellor's podium looking phallic, does that make Palpatine a d!@k head?

Sorry -- seriously though, I never looked at the imagery used with Palpatine and I think what you suggest makes sense.

3. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Good thinking, I like it.

4. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    With the Chancellor's podium looking phallic, does that make Palpatine a d!@k head?

Yes! Although I think if we were to extend the analogy to lightsabers it might be too far. Imagine the sexual subtext of a lightsaber duel. Especially Obi-Wan vs. Maul. Maul has a lightsaber twice as big as anyone else's. Which means basically that Ewan killed him because of penis envy. :D

5. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    Very curious indeed. I have never thought of looking at it like that, I will have to review the movies again. By the way, the whole penis envy and phalic theories are hilarious.

6. Ktulu_Terumo

Ktulu_Terumo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    He whispered into Padme's ear from the side, like the snake tempting Eve.

True indeed. I've never seen it that way, but it is true.

7. RahrKast

RahrKast Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2003
    :cool: Cool snake idea!
    The spider thing also came into my mind. But whether the viewer remarks it or not, the throne room scene is one of the greatest in movie history.

8. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I think comparing Palpatine to an animal goes totally against his character. Palpatine is the type of villain that uses his mind, not his fists, to battle an enemy, thus is why he is so dangerous

Darth Maul on the other hand was a completely physical villain, he is much more of an animal. When he battles you can see the animal ferocity in his eyes, like a wolf knowing the kill is near. And when he and Qui-gon are seperated, he paces back and forth like a caged animal, his only instinct is to resume the hunt

So Palpatine I don't think is supposed to be like any animal, I think that part was taken by Maul

9. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    I think comparing Palpatine to an animal goes totally against his character. Palpatine is the type of villain that uses his mind, not his fists, to battle an enemy, thus is why he is so dangerous

The Biblical snake worked in the same way: convincing mankind to do what it shouldn't. And the spider lays low until its prey is near. As Darth Sidious, that's what he's been doing all along. Manipulating events until the right time comes to take power--or, like the snake, to convince others to give it to him.

10. darth_brutus

darth_brutus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002

Just because Palpatine was not the physically agressive villain that Darth Maul was does not reduce any animal-like characteristics that Palpatine has. Darth Maul was indeed the far more agressive of the two, much like a caged animal, hunting out his prey, whereas Palpatine used deception to draw in his prey before then pouncing. The trapdoor spider is a good example of an animal using similar methods. Not all wild animals run on sheer ferocity when hunting out their prey.

11. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    As Lord Sidious he is like a wild cat,hidden from view yet at the same always nearby ready to suddenly lash out and kill anyone that gets in his way or causes him a probelm, Dooku is more like a Hawk always lurching around waiting to kill others that oppoose him but not seen until its too late to stop him from taking his prey down.

And Lord Vader is like a rabid attack dog on Palpatines leash,always there and visible ready to destroy anyone or anything at any time and makes no effort to hide this fact and enjoys the fact that everyone fears him because he can smell their fear with the Dark Side, Maul was also like this yet he was more like a hidden attack dog kinda like Mr.Burns dogs that just appear at the last minute and attack.

12. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    "The senate is a womb like environment, and the Chancellor's podium looks rather phallic. Seems appropriate then, that it is in the Senate that the Empire is born."

Ummmmm..............right! whatever you say!

Perhaps you all should take a break from Star wars for a while! ;)

13. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Those are awesome thoughts ObiEwan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.