main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Terminator Thread: T1, Judgement Day, Rise of the Machines, Salvation & Sarah Connor Chronicles

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by _dArTh_SoLo, Apr 18, 2004.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Great final episode. This show deserves to live on.

2. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    New 4 minute clip of the new movie

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/terminatorsalvation/

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    AICN makes a good point to say that it's actually a 4 minute trailer, not a 4 minute clip- I actually much prefer this, since it gives you glimpses of the film without spoiling a whole scene (I never watch clips during talk show appearances and such- there's nothing more annoying than watching a movie and having to sideline your interest as you sit through a whole scene you've already seen).

4. Blue_Jedi33

Aug 12, 2003
    New review of T4

http://video.reeltalktv.com/player/?id=1104223

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Seems like Fox, in their infinite idiocy, have canceled TSCC. :mad:

[face_praying] Come on, SFC, Spike, TNT or FX...

6. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    Too bad. I really enjoyed this show. And it was getting better every week. I'm surprised Fox renewed Dollhouse but not S.Connor

7. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    Actually, Dollhouse is sorta following the same path that TSCC did: TSCC was approx. 13 eps in Season 1, then renewed for one more season, where it was unceremoniously moved to the Friday Night Dead Zone.

And since Dollhouse has been renewed for only 13 eps for Season 2, it's likely that it'll be on the bubble from the moment S2 begins, as I'd guess it'll stay on the Friday night roster. And so, the suits at Fox were probably hedging their bets to begin with.

8. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
  9. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    I'm sorry, but I'm just not really interested in a Terminator movie without the Governator as the star, add the fact that it's directed by MCG and written by the same guys who wrote Catwoman and my interest in this film is timid at best, I might check it out on dvd.

10. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I watched T2 the other night and still holds well except for one scene. It occurs after John and the T-800 break Sarah out they're driving down the road. Here's a film that spends 100 million dollars yet the background in that scene looks like it's out of some Lucy and Desi film from the 50's. That always bugged me.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Almost all the interior vehicle scenes set at night are rear-projection backgrounds in T2/Cameron films.

12. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    bummed they cancelled the show after that ending

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Caught a midnight showing- overall, it's an entertaining action flick (with some awesome sequences- that one-take scene in particular), much better than T3, but lacks the soul of T1, T2 and TSCC- the whole human heart thing could have been developed better as a theme- as it is now it's sorta tacked-on. I also felt the opening scene was unnecessary (as classic as the awesome "Now I know what death tastes like." snub line is).

Still, the actors do a pretty good job here in their roles, though many of them feel like their parts got cut down heavily in the editing room (Bryce and Common in particular- and I know there's gotta be at least one deleted scene between the rain and rape scenes). It also got a little irritating that 80% of Kyle's dialogue seemed to be recycled T1 lines (not that I didn't expect some reused lines- you expect "come with me if you want live", "get out", "get down" "i'll be back", etc). The two cameos were nice touches also.

Musically, the score uses almost all the major Terminator themes (which already elevates it 30 times above T3) and even has a T1 credits-sequence homage. Also using You Could Be Mine (during a motocycle scene, no less was supremely awesome.

I get the impression that, with 6-10 minutes of character material to flesh out the human theme and the supporting characters, this could have been a lot closer in quality to the first two films, but, for now, will have to occupy the huge gap between the first two movies and the third, several paces behind the TV show (though the movie obviously outclasses the show's action quota).

14. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Musically, the score uses almost all the major Terminator themes (which already elevates it 30 times above T3) and even has a T1 credits-sequence homage. Also using You Could Be Mine (during a motocycle scene, no less was supremely awesome.

Danny Elfman recycled Brad Fiedel's themes? I like that.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Main Themes from both T1 and T2 appear, as does the Skynet theme, as well as a bit of the T-800 theme. I think there's some of the T3 theme in there too (but it could just be the build-up to the T1 theme). There's also a noticable new theme for, presumably, Marcus.

The music doesn't have the synthetic metal sound of Fidel's scores, though- nor the psuedo-clone used in T3, but somewhere between that and full-on orchestra. It's definitely a more memorable score than T3's (which pretty much sucked except for the graveyard shootout and the end).

Oh, one other shortcoming of the film I wanted to mention: the resistance leadership isn't portrayed that well. They start off fine (and Ironside is awesome in anything by default) but are kinda shown to be foolish and underdeveloped by the end.

16. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002
    The2ndQuest, how did you manage to see it - it`s not out for a while yet, or so I thought?

17. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    I just got back. Overall while I think the movie isn't it was honestly better than I'd dared to hope. Particularly I thought the pacing of Marcus's development was well done, as was the dynamic between him and John. The action scenes are top-notch, and all varied enough that they don't become dull. And I think the overall aesthetic of the film was just excellent. I've heard people complain that there wasn't much of a plot, but I'm a big pretty big fan of the franchise, and John wanting to rescue Kyle was compelling enough to me. I do wish The Resistance had been fleshed out a bit more; the upper-level officers in particular were total cardboard cutouts. The only scene I outright disliked was the scene where Marcus finds out what he is. I don't mind the scene conceptually, I just think it was executed poorly. The dialogue is just way too expository, and poorly delivered at that. It would have been even worse had the opening scene of the movie not been there, so I must disagree with you on that, T2Q.

Now, here is my main plot-related quibble with the movie; Didn't Skynet send the terminators back to kill John Connor after he had basically destroyed Skynet and won the war? Before that point, would they even know who he is?

18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's interesting that T3 was practically a darling of the critics relative to Terminator Salvation, if you go by the RT score (35%). I'm going to see Salvation tonight because, frankly, they had me at terminator motorcycles. This is how discerning a cinephile I really am.

19. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Skynet's awareness of the future is a continuity nod to T3, where the T-X is implied to have uploaded Skynet with vital intel on the early days of the Resistance and such. I can also be inferred that this upload may have been the final trigger pull that caused Skynet to go ape**** on the talking apes.

EDIT-You can't use that word here.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's the big release for Memorial Day weekend, and it's US release date is today (thursday)- they just had midnight showings in most areas.

(had a great audience too- as the feature began, half the place started clapping or stomping the Terminator theme)

I think the film certainly finds traction once it becomes about "save Kyle"- as it starts to become more personal. You also get a few great acting moments like Marcus's reaction to being allowed into Skynet.

I think Marcus's execution and jail cell scene should have been flashbacks Marcus has as he starts to remember after they reveal what he is- or even during the Skynet download.

One other minor quibble I had was how the machines held their punches, so to speak- they have Kyle Reese, but don't kill him on sight? (or, at least, after Marcus calls in Connor?). A T-800 has Connor disarmed and cornered, and he just smacks him around instead of snapping his neck, crushing his throat or just puncturing his chest?

21. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Something I realized when I told my brother he needs to watch T1 again before he goes to see this one; This movie actually fits alot more seamlessly if you just treat it as the first sequel to T1, almost like an alternate sequel from T2.

22. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    I just saw the movie, it was better than I thought it was going to be, but nowhere near as good as T1 and light years behind T2, it's on par with T3, but one thing stands out: the soundtrack royally sucked, I don't know what has happened to Danny Elfman, but this aspect was just plain bad.

23. Blue_Jedi33

Aug 12, 2003
    I saw it because I had some free time this afternoon.

On par with T3, it is a mix of Transformers/Matrix/Robocop

HUGE Spoiler, don't look if you haven't seen and are going:)
    CGI of a Circa 1984 naked Arnie as the T-800 was awesome
    :eek:

24. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    I saw it last night, and I liked it alot. It had good action, and a good redemption story with Marcus. It really lacked in developing chracter relationships, but still enjoyed it.

25. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002

That's the only thing that convinced me to see the movie, because it made me beleive that they might actually be serious about creating a legitimate Terminator sequel.

Overall, this isnt near as bad as the critics are making it sound. If you dont expect a whole lot you wont be very disapointed. Although it is disappointing in the sense that there were some good things about it that could have made it really good. I LOVED the sound effects. And I liked how they kept out music a lot of the time to allow the sounds to dominate. And I liked the realistic POV shots in a lot of the action. A lot of times it felt like a post apocalyptic version of SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, without the gory violence. Im interested to see the R rated version on DVD. Danny Eflman's music seemed out of place in the first couple of scenes, but got a lot better later and seemed more familiar to the rest of the franchise. However, despite the fact that Elfman is a great composer, I think he was a very curious and odd decision for a Terminator sequel. Couldnt they have gotten someone whose work INHERENTLY resembles Brad Fiedel more?

What they should have done is never made T3 and just should have made this movie. That way it could serve more as a prequel.