main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Terminator Thread: T1, Judgement Day, Rise of the Machines, Salvation & Sarah Connor Chronicles

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by _dArTh_SoLo, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Yes! Finally, a worthy sequel to T2! A solid concept, full-throated performances from a topnotch cast, and some gripping, gritty, bone-crunchy action sequences, and we have a damn fine Terminator film that could act as a direct sequel/prequel to any or all of the previous films, including (why not?) the TV series. Color me impressed.

My gripes are the score, which is too warm and orchestral for a T film -- it should have been more mechanistic and synthesized -- and the occasional clunky moments in the action (such as the scout-disk chase), along with a few moments of accent-faltering from the otherwise excellent Worthington.

I'm giving it a provisional 4 stars (out of 5), which may change depending on future viewings.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just got back from seeing it a second time and, much like Star Trek, it's much more enjoyable the second time around after you can properly atune your expectations.

The film really, really works for the first hour or so (with, IMO still, the misplaced opening scene) and is damn worthy of the Terminator name. Basically everything up until just after the harvester/moto sequence. It's when Blair and Marcus get to the hillbilly station that the film hits some speed bumps with a subpar amount of character moments- which, I believe, is the result of a lot of deleted material (besides the sex scene, there is something most obviously deleted between the rainy arrival at the hillbilly station and the rainless rape fight; there's also several John or John/Kate lines/scenes used in trailers and Tv spots that are not in the film, also the T-1 rising up from the sewer water that was in early trailers is not here at all)- and I think this hurts the film overall).

The escape from the base seems like a semi-pointless action sequence until Connor arrives (though McG does another wonderful single-take sequence there I didn't notice the first time 'round), and a distraction (especially for Williams, who recieves no consequences from her actions and basically vanishes from the film at this point). I think if they ahd removed that (or turnd the minefield thing into a "escape from Skynet" type deal, it would have worked better.

This time around I also really started liking Marcus's character and wish they had explored his backstory more thrououghly. A couple added flashback sequences (in addition to the opening execution scene, repurposed as a flashback) fleshing out the murders that haunted him, his feelings towards his brother (and the Alice In Chains song), and his relationship with Carter's character, would have all built up his struggle for redemption as well as made SkyCarter's appearance and scene a bit more devasttaing (and, as an added benefit, make it be able to be far less exposition-heavy, which would have made it more dramatic). This character shortcoming is the major flaw of the film, IMO- and, had they rectified it, this film would have been much closer in company to the first two films.

I'm hoping the DVD will have an extended cut that will provide the needed fleshing out.

I'm also digging some of Elfman's work here with the music- Marcus's theme is very catchy, and he does a decent job with the other themes (though I would have preferred they use the T-800 theme during the T-800 brawl). He's not my ideal choice for the material (I'd love to have Hans Zimmer or one of his Pirate brethern take a stab at a Terminator film score).

Visually, I also like how things are still gritty, even for Skynet- it hasn't yet attained the clean silver chrome look to it's Hunter-Killers, Terminators and Perimeter defense turrets that we see in T1, T2, Y2-3D and T3.

Hpefully that's something we'll see come to be in future sequels, alongside both factions developing more plasma-based weaponry (we gets hints of this with the Harvester's shoulder weapon and HK's sub targeting).

On a smaller note, I first saw T2 before T1 back when T2 first hit video, so after I had obssessed over a copy of T2 on VHS long enough, I rented T1 from the video store, and, not knowing what to expect, but absed on the still pics and description on the box, I got the impression there'd be more of a glimpse at the evil corporation behind Skynet and I envisioned Skynet's HQ to be a certain way (certainly different than the Pyramid we've all come to know and love).

So, I was very pleasantly surprised to see that the depiction of the San Fransico Skynet HQ as being more of an office tower design matched pretty closely what I had envisioned way back then off the back of the T1 VHS sleeve. i love it when things work out like that. :D

(naturally, though, the eventual LA Annex will have to have that pyramid :cool: )

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I agree some things seemed rushed or abbreviated and it would be fun to see the 2 1/2 hour version of this movie, but for me it was every bit as entertaining as Star Trek. I thought both the movies had a similar approach and relatively deft touch in the way they pandered to fan expectations without being completely bogged down by the classic formula of the previous movies.

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Terrible. Loudly uninspired action sequences starring Batman's motorcycle and big Transformers that sound just like the tripod things from Spielberg's War of the Worlds. Horribly cliched action movie dialogue ("If you pull a gun on someone, you better be prepared to shoot!!!", "You're a good guy, you just don't know it yet"). One of the blandest scores I've ever heard. Oh yeah, and for some reason Batman as portrayed by Christian Bale makes a cameo, while the main character is some guy named Marcus played by Sean Avery of the New York Rangers.

I didn't like that show very much, but it was a heck of a lot better than Salvation. Same goes for T3, which, for all its faults, at least was watchable and even enjoyable at times thanks to a believable John Conner rendition by Nick Stahl and a killer ending that absolutely puts to shame anything managed by Salvation. Only thing that kept me in the theater was the fact that I was seeing it with friends who were providing me with a ride home. Had I went by myself, I doubt I would've made it halfway through without walking out.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It didn't need to necessarily be 2.5 hours- another 10-15 would have done fine (replacing some existing stuff).

The film as it is now is sort of like T2 with everything between the hospital escape and Cyberdyne strike cut out- it doesn't have that "downtime" to develop the film's theme.

Stahl was one of the weaker points in T3- he just had no command to him, and none of the growing-leadership qualities that even Furlong had. Thankfully the show's Connor can psuedo-erase/replace him.

[face_laugh]

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    15 Best 'Terminator' Moments

15. ''HASTA LA VISTA, BABY''

"In 1991's T2: Judgment Day, as Furlong is teaching his new killing machine pal how to act more human, he teaches him this Spanglish catchphrase. Is it as iconic as ''I'll be bahhhk''? Maybe not. But when delivered in Ahnuld's unique Teutonic Cyborg monotone, it's pretty priceless."

7. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..eh, just got back from seeing T4...

Still not quite sure what to think..Some parts (like the casting of Anton Yelchin as Reese) i really liked....And there were some decent action sequences, but ALOT of the movie seemed really really forced...From all of the 'homages' to previous Terminator movies to the cheesiness and predictability of most plot...

It was ok. Some neat action sequences, but....Probably the least of the Terminator movies..

8. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    My lasting impression of the movie is that it is LOUD! That's neither positive or negative...it just is what it is.

I appreciated all of the nods to the past film and I thought the T-800 fight at the end worked well, with a few exceptions. It reused too many elements of the T-1000 end fight in T2. Way too many. The whole molten metal, intense cooling, shotgun type moments were too overt.

Yelchin is great as Reese.

This movie also makes me a believer in Bryce Howard, whereas before I only thought she was an average actress.

I loved the use of "You could be mine." Love that song.

I thought the motorbike terminators were excellent and the manner in which Reese/Wright dispose of them was quite impressive.

So if the central Skynet hq goes down, just like command wanted, doesn't that end the war?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The T-800 fight was a merger of the end fights in both T1 & T2 (the T-800 stepping up stairs, being stopped with it's hand just shy of it's target, etc from T1, the ramming metal into an opponent and molten lava from T2, etc) with a dash of T3's "heavy metal" fight (terminators smashing each other through walls and such). I think the encased metal cooling was a solid new twist on things, though. If the endo had just melted there, it would have been too much of a retread.

I was also amused how this film continued the little tradition of never showing an exposed endoskeleton talking (oh, sure, we [hear[/i] it talking, but it stops just before we see it). Even the TV show did this.

10. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I did expect the skeleton to melt once the molten metal got dumped onto it since that's what ultimately destroys the T-800 in T2.

11. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    I forgot about Howard, she was great in it. Carter was wasted in it, as was Bale, if I wanted to see him shouting at people, I'll watch The Dark Knight again. If MCG is directing the next one, if there even is one, considering the box office of this film so far, I'm not gonna see it, get at least a decent director.

here's my ranking of the films:
    The Terminator-just cause it's the first
    T2-just pure greatness
    T3-while not as good as the other 2, at least the governator was in it.
    The Sarah Connor Chronicles-10 times better than the piece of crap that is T4
    T4-Pure crap, I was thinking about walking out of it, I was so bored, the characters were bland, excluding Yelchin and Howard, the action scenes were just useless noise, I didn't care about the characters, so I wasn't even interested in the action scenes. The future glimpse at the beginning of T2 is loads better than this future we have in T4. I mean even in T3 we had the crane chase.
    i just hope the franchise is dead, or at the very least bring back Arnold and at least let Cameron have some say in the films.

I can see now whey Cameron didn't give this film his blessing.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    14. DON'T DRINK FROM THE CARTON

"In one of the best kills in T2 ? a movie with more than its share of great kills ? Edward Furlong's foster dad gets impaled through the mouth by the T-1000's metal-spike finger while drinking from a carton of moo juice. Classic. So much for milk doing a body good."

13. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ^^It cracks me up looking back now that Furlong's foster dad was GEORGE MASON FROM "24" :p

Surprised to see so much love for Bryce Dallas Howard on here.. I thought she looked great, but didn't really have much of a part. Moon Bloodgood there seemed to have more to do in the movie then Howard.

Mike Ironside was cool (as always)...Really wish he had more of a role!

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though in T2 it's clearly able to survive in the molten metal for a good amount of time before it's compromised- I think the limited amount of exposure, combined with the cooling environment and gas (and, perhaps, the actual temperature and volume of material dumped on it) allowed it to survive.

Cameron didn't give his blessing because he wasn't going to do so without having seen a final film, which is only logical for something you're not involved with.

The crane chase was awesome (excusing the silly police car thing), but the moto-truck chase in this film was just as good (just less carnage to the environment given the setting).

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  16. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Beat by NATM2.

So much for the new trilogy. Pretty embarrassing really. I have to say I'm pretty surprised, as well. The marketing was top-notch and I thought Bale would be a substantial draw.

The whole premise of this series was that John Connor had won the war and Skynet was taking the war to the past, so I guess this plot angle was just a tough sell. I still like my idea of looking at this as an alternate sequel to T1. (And pretending T3 doesn't exist)

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, I think they absolutely had to drop the "send a terminator back in time to kill someone" angle- it was that unnecessary repetition (among other failures) that turned people away from T3. People have been wanting the future war since forever, and that's what they expected the next T movie to focus on.

The movie will end up doing better than T3, though- it has less direct competition for the next month (the closest action movie/thriller is Pelham 123, which is a different audience target, and the next Big Action Movie is Transformers, which is literally a month away).

18. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Oh no, I completely agree. I never would have wanted yet another "Terminator sent back in time" rehash. I just meant that it looks like people feel this series has ran its course.

19. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    this film will be lucky to break 150 million and with budget of about 200 million I just can't see them doing a sequel. I think this movie made most of it's money this weekend, it's not a movie like Star Trek, where it will gain a new audience.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't count the movie as a failure just yet, or rule out a sequel- so far it's about meeting T3's performance and T3 did 150 domestic with a 200 million budget (that was actually more since Arnie put some of his own cash up to enhance the crane chase). I think the key for WB will be the worldwide performance (T3 did 283 overseas), but I think Salvation's lack of competition (and mostly positive word of mouth, from what I've seen) will help it (T3 had competition from POTC, Bad Boys II, LXG and Tomb Raider 2 in the Big Action Film category for the first month of release, whereas T4 is pretty much clear till Transformers).

It won't have the legs of Trek, but it also won't have the competition, is all I'm syaing.

21. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    I dunno.. I've heard mostly negative word of mouth, and i think it's having an affect...I could not believe it when i was at a 7pm show on saturday night at the nicest theater in town, and the theater was only 2/3's full..

Which is too bad, really.. I came out of the movie ready to fall on the negative spectrum of reviews, but now that i'm seeing how much some people are trashing the thing, i find i'm defending more then i thought i would..

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, there's definitely been negative reaction- I've spoken to a couple people who didn't like it, but they are disproportionate to the negative critical reviews- all three screenings I've attended were mostly full (at a theater showing it on 4 screens), had plenty of cheers and applause (especially at the end) and most people I've spoken to said they liked it (even if some had reservations)- which is more than I can say about, say, Wolverine.

A couple funny things that came out of my third viewing- first, was my friend's husband who commented, after Blair Williams talks about being cold, "maybe you should get closer to the fire...", and, second, was made by a young kid sitting behind me who commented, after Connor blasts away the crawling T-600 (?) with the helicopter gun: "John Connor doesn't like Terminators." [face_laugh]

[image=http://www.dieselsweeties.com/hstrips/0/2/2/8/02289.png]

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    TS was not outdone at the box office by Museum 2. The media is spinning the facts to make a story. TS has made 56.4 million as of Sunday; Museum has made 53.5 million. The media are focusing in on the "three-day weekend" of Friday - Sunday, neglecting the fact that TS came out on Wednesday, to generate what they call "news".

If anything, this unscrupulous report will call out T fans and draw them back to the theater for repeat viewings, something I highly doubt the Museum sequel will do.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, NATM2 did gross more in it's first 3 days than TS did- so NATM2 has been outpacing it, though so far TS has a slight edge in overall total. We won't know if the final totals will reflect that for a long time, though. NATM2 certainly has more competition over the next month that will suck away families (Up, in particular, will crush it next week) than TS does with action, so TS will probably end up outpacing it in the long run.

Both movies will have big drop-offs next week.

25. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001