main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Terminator Thread: T1, Judgement Day, Rise of the Machines, Salvation & Sarah Connor Chronicles

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by _dArTh_SoLo, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I had the opposite experience of 2ndQuest. I saw it the first time on Thursday with very low expectations, and found it surprisingly entertaining, if you just go with the flow. Mainly because the action turned out pretty well, and McG didn't subject us to the horrible trend of shaky-cam and rapid-fire editing, where a shot doesn't linger for longer than two seconds during the action. And the story, while deeply flawed, is still 10x more engaging than the awful mess that is "Wolverine".

However, second viewing doesn't hold up so well to me. The bad sticks out as really bad. The action is still entertaining but obviously isn't fresh this time, and doesn't feel nearly as abundant as it did on the first viewing.

Still, it's nowhere near as bad as many are making it out to be, and neither is T3, for that matter.

On a side note, I can't believe people found Bryce Dallas Howard to be anything other than downright horrible in this.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, to be fair, she was probably cut out of the movie.

As for second time viewings, I agree that the bad sticks out more, but I think that was what improved the second viewing- that first hour up until the hillbilly rape fight comes across as pretty solid, but then we get the bodywarmth dialogue, etc, and the distracting escape, until the film starts to recover with the lake scene (though not fully until after Marcus gets to Skynet) and from there it's pretty solid again (ignoring the exposition scene as flawed).

3. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    If you liked T4,I highly recommend Reign Of Fire, which is a very underrated movie in my opinion, worth renting on DVD

Starring
    Matthew McConaughey
    Christian Bale
    Izabella Scorupco
    Gerard Butler

It's like Bale verses Dragons instead of killer robots.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=reignoffire.htm

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Reign of Fire is good, not great, but it is an interesting idea. The role Empire Strikes Back plays in it is also particularly clever. [face_laugh]

5. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    "Reign of Fire" always struck me as a particularly original idea that...with a bit of tweaking, could have been GREAT...

As it was, it was a pretty entertaining little B movie with a surprisingly against type McConaughey (I believe his career was at a low point here) stealing the show. I supported the heck out of it because X-Files alum Rob Bowman was directing :p

6. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Its just kinda odd that 3 and 4 are not as Dark and creepy like the other two movies are. Sarah connor had dreams in both movies man they really gave me nightmares as a kid and sometimes they still do. Where is James cameron when you need him?

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    3 played up the humor too much, but 4 was dark- it just can't be as creepy because the Future War is more war story than horror story.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  9. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    I'm surprised that nobody's posted this yet.

The so-called "alternate" ending sounds more like a prank to me. What studio would have greenlit that? :confused:

10. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I thought T4 was a descent movie. It was cool to finally see the machine war, first hand. However, to be honest, it was just a pale shadow compared to the TV show, and having this following up after season 2 just made the movie seem that much weaker. Still, worth one viewing.

11. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    Where is Cameron when you need him? Busy in New Zealand filming Avatar. [face_mischief]

12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I actually really like that ending. But yeah, I don't know why the studio would sign off on that. Way too risky.

13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I heartily dislike that alternate, bleak-as-night ending, and I'm glad they talked Bale out of it. The T movies always end with a sense of hope for the future, that despite the odds that are stacking against the protagonists, the storm that is building, somehow humanity will prevail.

If Connor's mortal exterior was put on the Marcus Terminator, and then he shot everyone in the room, that would not be a hopeful, hurray-for-humanity ending. Very un-Terminator.

14. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    it would be such a shocking end, no one would expect it

15. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    One other thing I found disappointing about this movie is that there wasnt even one full scale battle between the humans and the machines. It would have been really cool if they had pushed the SAVING PRIVATE RYAN homage further and had an apocalyptic version of the D Day invasion at Normandy with a lot of graphic violence. God, I still wish Terminator 3 had never been made so that Cameron could have come back to do these movies set in the future. This is why Im glad Lucas has financial and therefore artistic control over SW. Whether or not you like it, its always cool to always get the creator's vision, for better or for worse.

By the way, even though this movie was mediocre, it has inspired me to re-aquaint myself with the first two movies directed by Cameron. I had a falling out with the franchise as a whole because the time paradox with Reese concieving John Connor drove me insane. However, my fascination with nuclear warfare has pushed me back towards these movies. As Im sure a lot of you know, there are about 846 versions of the T2 dvd. I was wondering if you guys could inform me on which is the best one. I appreciate it.

16. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I don't know about technical elements (picture/audio transfer quality), but for my money you should track down the old Ultimate Edition 2-disc set. The first disc has three versions of the movie
    1- Theatrical Version
    2- Special Edition (my personal favorite, assembled by Cameron but not technically a "Director's Cut" because Cameron stands by the theatrical version)
    3- Extended Version* (includes most of the same scenes as added in the SE, as well as a few that weren't - including the much maligned 'happy future' alternate ending.
    In addition to the usual trailers and making-of bonus features, Disc 2 includes a featurette on the making of T2:3D, the film/show at Universal Studios.

One feature missing from the Ultimate Edition set is a commentary by James Cameron and William Wisher that's only available on the Extreme Edition set that was released when T3 hit theatres.

Also, if you've already made the upgrade to Blu-Ray, I believe there's a set that comes with all the special features from the DVDs.

*Extended Version is only accessible by using your DVD remote to input the code 8 2 9 9 7 (as in 8/29/97, the date of Judgment Day)

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It wasn't the rights-owners keeping Cameron off the film, it was Cameron. He wanted to make T3 at one point- he even made T2-3D with the idea that it'd be "T2.5" and help keep the property alive in the public awareness for the eventual T3. Then Cameron made Titanic and fell in love with deep-sea exploration and decided to work in that field for a few years and abandon doing T3.

If Cameron had wanted to do it, you can bet your ass nobody would stop him from doing so.

I'll second the Ultimate Edition release- it took everything from the Laserdisc set of the same name and added more. It gets very deep into the production of the film (represented via the menu by going deeper into the Skynet pyramid)- from behind the scenes looks to screens of text information.

The eXtreme Edition does not contain any of the special features on the UE (not even the trailers), the special features it has are unique to it- which is really good, actually, as, combined with the fact that the menus were made by the same team to complement to the UE menus, it effectively renders the EE as a virtual 3rd Disc to the UE that just happens to have extra copies of the movie with it.

So, get the UE first, the EE only if you want everything or can get it cheap as a purchase in addition to the UE.

Amusingly the first T2 DVD release (which only has the theatrical version) has a unique feature for the blind that is an audio-descriptive commentary track. I find it funny to have such a narrator describing the naked arrival of the T-800, as it comes across as vaguely erotica in nature.

18. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

Just saw it on Friday (I`m in the UK so it was only just released this last week) - I`d read wildly differing reviews so I decided to go in not expecting anything. I have to say, I was pretty impressed! Ok, it wasn`t on par with 1 or 2, but it WAS a vast improvement on 3....the cameo towards the end, combined with the original score playing at that point, was just AWESOME! One thing that annoyed me about the film was Bale himself - I really wish they`d cast someone else to play Connor, I just found his performance pretty cold and lifeless. On the other hand the actor who played Marcus was amazing, I thought - almost as good was the guy who played the young Kyle Reece - I found myself warming to them in a way I never did to Bale`s character. Seeing the different types of terminator was pretty thrilling too, I thought the T-600s were pretty impressive! One little nod to the third film I liked was the inclusion of the very basic terminators we saw at the end of that film.

Does anyone know if they`ll be going ahead with their plans to create a new trilogy? I`d love it if they did, amybe with another director next time? Abrams or Nolan would be my pick if they did.

19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    ^ ^ ^ I agree with all of that, except that I doubt Nolan or Abrams are realistic candidates to do a fifth Terminator movie. I wouldn't mind seeing a post-JD trilogy play out as directed by McG; I think he did a fine job here and would only improve as he continues to document the war against the machines.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I don't think the faults of TS are fully McG's fault- I think he handled the film pretty well, actually. The script is what came up short, and likely suffers from the rewrite to accomodate Bale. Hopefully a second movie would be a bit more consistent with him in it from the start.

21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    What I like about the film is that it basically sets up the more large scale land battles between the Resistance and the T-800's since they were being built at the end of the movie. I'm curious to see how certain events play out in future movies: Kyle Reese being sent back, the bad T-800, the two good T-800's, the T-1000, the T-X, and I look forward to seeing how they explain how time travel is developed as well as the switch-over from regular ammunition to plasma weapons. There's a lot of potential to show some really interesting things, and I think Salvation was a nice set-up for the more interesting events of the future war.

My only concern is Christian Bale. He's one of my favorite actors and I hope he returns for future sequels for continuity purposes, but his performance was very one-dimensional in the film. I learned nothing new about John Conner other than he apparently smoked for a number of years and has a bad temper. Bale did have a number of nicely done scenes in the film, like during the final battle at Skynet, but otherwise John Conner left me cold.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    IGN has an interview with Brian Austin Green where he talks about the future of TSCC. The relevant highlights:

IGN: Now I have to tell you, I'm personally still in mourning over The Sarah Connor Chronicles?

Green: Yeah, so am I!

IGN: There's obviously a lot of people still hoping it can somehow return?

Green: I talk to [Sarah Connor Executive Producer] James Middleton all the time and I really hope that it returns. And I know that a lot of people from Warner Bros., all the way through, really wish and hope for the same thing. And the end of the day, we have some of the greatest fans ever. I so appreciate the people that are fighting as hard as they are to bring the show back. And of course, I would love for it to happen. Ultimately, if it doesn't, I'm also really proud of the fact that we have two amazing seasons of television on DVD and Blu-ray, that people can watch from start to finish. I'm proud of every episode. I can watch the whole thing and say, "Yeah, I was a part of something that was really big and really much bigger than television is used to." Maybe it just wasn't the right time? But everyone did their work and it paid off. It's because of the fans that it went two seasons, it really is. So it was a joint effort and it was kind of one of those sort of fun, global crossovers between us making the show and the fans watching the show. There was this really large group of people that made it happen and we made two amazing seasons so far. Let's hope for the best and keep our fingers crossed for more? And if not, we can still be happy with what we have.

IGN: Thomas [Dekker] mentioned in an interview the possibility of a straight-to-DVD Sarah Connor Chronicles movie. Has James talked about those possibilities with you?

Green: Yeah, I've heard that possibility. If anyone can make it happen, James Middleton can do it. He loves the show. Our cast, we miss doing the show. I know everybody would be back in a heartbeat to do it. So I'm sure right now, it's just sort of a number crunch. It's just sitting with the right guys and making sense of it, where they can afford to do it and do it right. That's the tough thing. I'm sure we could go anywhere and get a straight-to-DVD deal, but if we don't have the right amount of money, we can't make it the right way. And I don't want to make a straight-to-DVD just to say we did it and have it not be what we were making. So it's going to take a little work, but I think there's a really good possibility of it happening. The fact that people are still buying the DVDs and there's the demand for it? I know there's a billboard that's driving around Burbank saying, "Save the show. Bring it back." That's amazing. Those little things, they're all little things, but they become something bigger. And I think if enough people just kind of keep putting that energy out there, something will happen. I think we have a really good chance.

[face_praying]

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sadly, no follow-up news on TSCC, but...

T5 will be R-Rated

...producer Megan Ellison is championing the fact that one of her upcoming projects will be R-rated - the in-development fifth "Terminator" film.

?We can?t really tell you guys anything about Terminator BUT it will be an R rated film as God and James Cameron intended? she confirmed on Twitter. The project itself is still very early in the process.

"as God and James Cameron intended"? Aren't they the same person when it comes to this? ;)

24. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I think Ellison might be God, since she's basically come into Hollywood with a ton of money and thrown it at filmmakers of high class. Within the next two years the credits she'll be attached to will be immense, if even half the films live up to their promise.

As such, I hope she gets a filmmaker with a real singular, artistic vision onto this franchise, who can perhaps write and direct.

25. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003