main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The The Batman Thread (+ The The Penguin Series)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DebonaireNerd, Aug 23, 2020.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That. Was. AMAZING.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It looks great

Though I hope The Riddler will still be a villain who is about brains, not so much about violence.
    Nothing wrong with him being a killer, so long as he's more like a Jigsaw style death puzzle maker and not just a cheap Joker substitute psychopath murderer

Penguin looks good

He's not got superpowers though, no regular human no matter how skilled can dodge objects that move as fast as bullets.
    Bruce Wayne is an exceptionally skilled person, but he's still just a regular person

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Rewatching it for like the sixth time, and man, I really love the approach. Reeves seems to have remembered that, as terrifying as the villains are, Batman is the scariest thing in Gotham.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Looks great. All the actors look good. Super fascinated to see what Paul Dano does with the role. Also loving Colin Ferrell, seems to have hewn to the comics while throwing in a little inspiration from Danny Devito.

BigAl6ft6 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  5. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    And not Danny DeVito's Penguin. More like DD's Louie De Palma from Taxi.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "I got you! I got you!"
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Is Batman or Deckard going to bring down The Riddler?

[​IMG]

8. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    A little bit Edward Hopper "Nighthawks" too. (which was sorta about isolation...each character is in its own separate space in the painting. Yay city life)
    [​IMG]

9. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    The ending part of the trailer song really gives me TAS vibes from how it sounds

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    ^Nighthawks was my first thought too.

The cinematography looks amazing. Greig Fraser is quickly becoming one of my favorite cinematographers.

11. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    I agree. It seem to veer more toward the stylised version that Tim Burton make, only much more visceral. I really liked the trailer. I had the doubt about Robert Pattinson but the trailer has me reassured. I am not a huge fan of the Christopher Nolan films although I know they are held in the high regard. This look better to me though.

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  12. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    really looks like a live-action animated series too. There’s this Art Deco 30s noir infusion too.

Sarge, Juliet316, TCF-1138 and 2 others like this.
  13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  14. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    This looks a whole lot like the Nolan films…which I really liked so I suppose I’m cool with more of that.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, my reaction to the trailer is "How is this a meaningfully different interpretation than Nolan's?" No one would mistake him for Burton or Schumacher or Timm. What is Reeves offering here? Pattinson looks fine and it appears to be well-directed, but, especially after Joker openly called the whole mythology into question, it doesn't seem to take the character anywhere "new" within the realm of cinema. Maybe the full film will show more creativity and a bit of daring (as far as big-budget superhero films can be daring anyway). I don't see it in the trailer. At least he's not shooting brightly colored CG beams at CG monsters in a sea of dirt.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    KnightWriter and Glitterstimm like this.
  16. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I think the shot of a SWAT team running in formation is what crystallized it for me, they're trying to remake The Dark Knight without Ledger.

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Question, is Andy Sirkis the new Alfred? If that's the case, has anyone besides me noticed that in just about every version of Batman, Alfred seems to get younger and younger?

18. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    I think Reeves deserves tremendous goodwill following his Apes trilogy (the last of which was extraordinary). His deft handling of characterization will almost undoubtedly render his take distinct from Burton's expressionism and Nolan's (sometimes appealing, other times crippling) flair for narrative/plot intricacies. He's stated that his Batman will undergo an intense emotional journey, and for the time being, I'll take him at his word.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The plot appears to look like Riddler gets caught on purpose and leads Batman on to solve riddles in jail all the while, so power from prison and such. I assume, as we see scrawled on the floor "sins of the father" that this might be something very good for Batman's personal story. And with that a serious take on the Riddler which has not been done yet.

The Bat-Signal is not a finely crafted light, it's like a bat-shaped piece of garbage that shine son the sky, it's a mess. I'll take it as a symbol that Bats is broken, and Riddler is going to pick at the wound.

I feel like this was brought up long ago, but I like the idea of "The Penguin" is like an old timey mob name which is what he appears to be a part of here.

So this is winding up in my eyes to be interesting.

20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't understand the point of this film. I'm sure it's what a lot of people want to see, but I made it halfway through the trailer before I stopped. It seems to me that Christopher Nolan made the definitive adaptation for a generation, and if there's another meaningful version to be made, this isn't it. I understand that there's a lot of money to be made, but creatively speaking, it seems bankrupt.

Hopper's work is always about isolation. Not just that, but it's always there.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Tbh I've been saying that for every new version of Spiderman over the last 20 years; of course Batman goes even further. They just have slightly new stories to tell I guess; same main characters overalls.

22. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Looks okay.

I like how "fast" things seemed...the Nolan films kind of had a Michael Bay "Pan around the Hero shot" sluggishness at times...very much making sure you saw what they wanted you to see.

This seems more hectic, which arguably, adds a dimension of realism.

Pattinson has "Keaton Eyes"...just in the trailer you can see how much is expressed through the eyes...I don't know if that is the actor's eyes, the actor, or the direction capturing his eyes very similar to how Burton used Keaton's eyes. Very noticeable in the trailer to me.

Does feel like they are pouring the gallery of rogues into this one just a smidge. That feels more like an Arkham Asylum video game then a nod to the older films. Too many of these characters just means they are counting on the fans knowing who they are, otherwise they spend the whole movie giving us backstories. This makes me nervous.

Batmobile stinks...they just keep getting worse and worse. It looks like something Punisher would drive.

We shall see. March is not a release date of confidence...but in a COVID world, who knows if the old scheduling rubrics work anymore.

Cautiously optimistic...I have seen every Batman in theaters except the '66 (way before my time) and Batman & Robin (no **** way)...I hope things are better by March. We shall see.

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    100% on this. The '89 version set the bar just too high I guess.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Nolan's Batman **** the bed at the end of the trilogy, retroactively making the previous films worthless -- much like the finales of How I Met Your Mother or Game of Thrones.

Even if this were a thematically-similar retread -- which I suspect it is not (and which the first teaser already sort of indicated it was not) -- what would be wrong with giving us a potential-ongoing good Batman story?

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Is this supposed to be tied into an eventual reboot of the Justice League film? How long will "ongoing" be?