main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The The Batman Thread (+ The The Penguin Series)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DebonaireNerd, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That you shouldn't watch trailers on mute because sound is like half the experience? :p

2. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Seriously though, the fan base for Twilight and Hunger Games has not really been around though to even comment about. It was a phase that fizzled that everyone (more about Twilight) makes fun of. Its only brought up because there is the stigma that he was in it and because people hate those movies they hate him because they know nothing else he's been in.

Heck I've seen more posts relating him to Harry Potter than anything

3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Poison Ivy could work, if done right. She could be the leader of an eco-terrorist organization, or maybe a higher ranking figure in/ally of the League of Shadows (as how Batman: TAS portrayed Ra's versus the Nolan Ra's, who was more against decadence in general).

4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    There's a whole generation who was raised on that when they were tweens. While they may look back at it now and realize what it was, there's still a dedication there that anybody would have in regards to the media they consumed at that age. And especially when you see an actor from that media move on to something else, it would only make sense to want to take a look at it. There's only a stigma to people who were already past the age where Twilight would have appealed to them.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Like you don’t enjoy our time together.

Darth Punk likes this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Some of you are old enough to remember the “Brokeback Joker” snark. I’m old enough to remember the “Batman is Mr. Mom” snark,

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Judging RPatz just on Twilight is like judging Natalie Portman just on the Prequels.

Both are better actors than that, both have shown it in other movies

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    What age would that be? Twilight was over a decade ago - many of those fans are in their thirties.

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    RPatz cleansed himself by doing a bunch of Indy movies and playing scuzzy characters.

That said, I’ve never seen any twilight movies, so I’m not in any position to judge.

Are they any good?

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I've judged her for the fact that she and other actors signed that petition defending Roman Polanski a decade ago (has it really been a decade since then now?). But that's a topic for another thread.

MotivateR5D4 and Darth Punk like this.
  11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Yeeeeesssss - let’s cancel her

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I remember some of the "The ER doctor is playing Batman?" cracks.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    That's Hollywood all over though.

As Gervais pointed out in his rant at the Golden Globes, who did anything about Weinstein? No-one, they were too busy playing chummy with him because it suited their careers to do so.

Fake progressiveness is a requirement these days.

But none of that changes the quality of a director or actor.
    Who they are as people is a separate issue.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    solojones likes this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    No. Twilight was a tween thing, so they'd all be in their 20s now.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It was very popular among people older than that (not that I have any idea what a "tween" is, but I'm guessing from your post that it's someone in their early teens maybe?). I had plenty of friends who were in their late teens, early twenties who loved Twilight around the time the first one came out. Their in their early-to-mid thirties now.

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Tween is short for tweenager. a child of approximately eight to fourteen years of age

17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Tweens are too old to be considered a kid, but not old enough to be a teenager. That's pretty much what its core fanbase was. Maybe up through high school aged teenagers as well.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Of course you haven't seen them.

[​IMG]

19. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I honestly haven’t. All I know is that they’re about a girl who can’t decide whether she prefers necrophilia or bestiality.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  20. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    All the people I know who were into Twilight back during its heyday are now 24-27 now. Two things I've noticed: first, there's been a resurgence in them openly liking Twilight - this seems to be a thing going around social media, in that they're less embarrassed about enjoying it while also acknowledging the things about it that are kinda problematic or dumb. Second, a ton of support and excitement from them for Pattinson as Batman. This is all anecdotal, but still.

I don't think that contributed to his casting, it seemed Reeves was more taken with his manic energy and emotional range, but it's definitely a beneficial marketing side effect. Anyone that liked him from Twilight will be predisposed to like his casting, anyone skeptical because of it I think was mostly won over from that trailer, and then there's everyone in between who've seen his growth as an actor over the past few years in his indie roles.

Rew likes this.
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I believe. I've just been waiting for an excuse to post that Partridge gif.

Darth Punk and SuperWatto like this.
  22. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    means you dig nirvana, high five!

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I can accept Pattinson's performance in Twilight, he's an undead Vampire.
    Limited emotional capacity etc.

I don't excuse Kristen Stewart looking like she was half asleep or hung over the entire time.
    That has affected her casting far more than it did for him

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    IIRC, this movie is rumored to take place in the same universe as "The Joker" right? What are the odds we'll see a Joaquin Phoenix cameo? Maybe in a post credit scene?