main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The The Batman Thread (+ The The Penguin Series)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DebonaireNerd, Aug 23, 2020.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I really enjoyed the film, saw it on IMAX when it came out, one of my favorite iterations. It was a gorgeous looking film and am looking forward to more...

2. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    So I was under the assumption that Riddler was upset at the end because the mayor didn't get killed. But I rewatched it last night and realized (or at least I think) that Riddler was just mad because Batman was in the news and Riddler wasn't relevant anymore. Batman stole his thunder.

3. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Anyone else think this movie felt like the motion picture equivalent of an old radio drama?

Sarge and heels1785 like this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    yes. pattinson's narration from the start contributed to that feel, explaining why he was doing something instead of just being shown doing it.

5. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I'm glad that Reeves chose to exclude the idea of Gothams criminals thinking the Batman is some sort of winged creature like they did in 89 and a little in BATMAN BEGINS. I feel like that kind of supernatural thought process is a little outdated in 2022.

PymParticles and heels1785 like this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Why? The whole point is that it's dark, they're scared and here's this guy who could be something inhuman. Criminals are cowardly and superstitious. Might as well say dressing as a bat is outdated. What's the point of dressing like a bat, if you're not scary?

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  7. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Since when? The 1940's? The 1980's? We live in an era of cell phones. "Criminals" are people in their twenties now. No one is going to think that a vigilante with a bat theme is a goblin or demon.

Are you implying that dressing as a bat was "in" at some point?

He can be scary just by virtue of him being one guy in a freaky looking costume that can beat up a room full of grown men by himself. That is scary. No one needs to think he's supernatural just to be freaked by him.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    PymParticles likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    William Bonny says hi. We had criminals in their 20's way back when. And cell phones? What does that mean? The point of criminals being cowardly is that it is possible to frighten them, thus they'll make mistakes that he can exploit. There is an element of fear in committing a crime. If he can intensify that fear then all the better.

My point is that if you go down that rabbit hole, then go all the way.

How about just dressing like a cop? That scares black people.

9. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I'm not even going to quote that whole line of thought. I don't know why you thought that would be an appropriate thing to say in public or in private. You've been reported. DO NOT tag me again!

10. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    So, is this kind of talk allowed in here?
    @cubman987
    @Jedi Merkurian

11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Yeah. The Dark Knight Rises was almost to the point where Batman could ditch the costume to be like James Bond in commando gear with his gadgets and cars. Going past that is it Batman anymore?

The other extreme is Adam West style camp for the costume. Tim Burton making Batman’s motivation for the costume fear was the big leap away from the 60’s TV show that made the movie believable. It has to be more than a disguise, because it’s actually a terrible disguise.

Sarge likes this.
  12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I actually loved the way the film plays with Batman’s enemies clearly finding themselves torn between what they’re intellectual mind registers and tires to assert (“This dude’s a guy in a suit, nothing more, he can go down…”) and what the emotional lizard parts of their brains often flash to (“…Holy ****, this ******* is walking through bullets and calling himself vengeance! Ahhh!!!”)

It’s clear from the opening that Gotham’s criminals are superstitious and cowardly towards Batman, even if it’s not “He’s not human!” types of fear - he’s literally got them flinching and frozen in fear of shadows whenever his symbol is in the sky.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Batman Theme | EPIC VERSION (feat. Mask of The Phantasm Theme x Imperial March)

Samuel Kim Music

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    This will never get old. Let’s see Robert Pattinson do this next film:

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I think there's enough there to make a decent 2 hour movie.

But instead they went for a pretentious 3 hour brood-fest.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Yeah i tried watching it and couldnt finish it ,ill take Batman 89 , Batman Returns and the Nolan Trilogy as my Batman films.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    When Riddler is having his meltdown, I wanted him to burst out singing, "Iiiiiiii love a parade!!!!"

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    How was the real Spider-Man musical?

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It ran from June 14, 2011 to January 4, 2014. It failed to make back the $75 million dollar budget, with investors losing $60 million. My guess is the Batman musical would have had the same fate. :p

In comparison, the Superman musical had a shorter run (3/29/66-7/17/66), but it had several revivals through 2016. As well as an ABC production that was poorly received. It was written by Robert Benton and David Newman, who went on to work on the films.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The New York Times reviewed "Spiderman: Turn off The Dark" with an article headlined "Spiderman: Turn Off The Director."

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    My understanding is that Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark was something like Ishtar: it had problems, but wasn't nearly as bad as the press tried to make it out to be in order to chop down the professional behind it (Julie Taymor in this case, who was on a nearly-unprecedented successful run of stage and screen).

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    My understanding is that, like NASCAR, the only reason people tuned in is to watch the cast accidents happen in real time.

23. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Finished it. Did not like. That is all.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The disastrous first preview and the retooling of the story, resulted in numerous delays that lead to the harsh reviews. Theater and food critics are the most vicious and vindictive lot. Their word tends to hold more sway than most other critics. However, the quality of the work is an issue and comics don't translate to it.

25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I actually got to see it during its brief, weird run, and it was a fever dream of terribleness. A musical theatre friend recently reminded me that the Greek goddess Arachne factored into the plot, and I genuinely think I repressed that from my memory.