main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Interpreting a big chunk of the Bible as metaphor and allegory does raise questions as to why we should take anything within it literally, including the existence of God and the prophets and Jesus himself. Even the New Testament has extremely dubious provenance-- none of the Gospels were written by eyewitnesses and Matthew and Luke use Mark as a source; half of the letters attributed to Paul were not written by him. To me it's more consistent to say Adam and Eve actually existed than to say they did not but hey this dude is the Son of God (but also not 'cause vaguely Eastern influence) and he died and came back to life and he'll come back but this thing written about him coming back is just a metaphor for the Roman Empire.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Rylo Ken and SuperWatto like this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Because they're different genres? Some are poetry for crying out loud. Surely we're not meant to take those the same as the histories?

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There's no reason to believe they record what happened or were really meant to (there's a lot of allegory in metaphor in those four books). Like I said, the Gospels were not written by eyewitnesses, the authors probably didn't talk to eyewitnesses, and the books source and sometimes contradict one another or omit important details that the others mention (e.g., Mark doesn't say anything about a virgin birth). Except for the broad strokes of the setting (Roman occupation, some major figures, apocalypse cults), they're as accurate as Genesis is.

Revyl Ren and CT-867-5309 like this.
  4. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Who is deciding which book is which genre?

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    “Look, no needs to bother writing any of this down because the end of the world is right around the corner. Consider the lily: it doesn’t write anything. You should be like the lily. Now go get married and forsake all your material possessions. I said forsake them, Thomas, forsake the **** out of them. Consider the lily: it does what I goddamn well said. No one better be writing this.” - Jesus “Actually my name is Josh” Christ

siha, Healer_Leona , tom and 7 others like this.
  6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's as obvious when you read them as it is that a poetry book isn't a history book.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  7. a star war

May 4, 2016
    It's just. obvious.

8. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Psalms, Proverbs, Song of Solomon are some examples of poetry/praise type books, not history. I personally believe Genesis to be factual, not allegorical.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Your interpretation of fact against allegory is phenomenologically modern in a way the authors of Genesis wouldn’t even have been able to parse so good luck with that.

Rogue1-and-a-half, siha, tom and 2 others like this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Genesis doesn't bring any suns, moons, or stars (and, as such, no orbits or rotations) into the story until the 4th "day" so the book, itself, is not even attempting to measure the first 3 and a half "days". The fact that it has been interpreted for millennia by imbeciles does not define its actual textual purposes.

A book such as Jonah is clearly... clearly... satire as a teaching tool. In every other Prophet, God tells a prophet to go tell the people of Israel to repent and, the prophets all tend to labor through the willingness of "Here I am, send me..." only to have nobody respond to their message, leading them to rend their garments and suffer broken hearts at the hard-heartedness of their people. Jonah, on the other hand, is sent by God as a prophet to the enemies of Israel and he continually attempts to run away from the task, only to require being forcibly dragged there and spit up on the shore. Half-heartedly, he is quoted as uttering the most rudimentary, half-arsed sermon in the entire Bible... and everyone repents and put on sackcloth and ashes, including all of the animals.

Has the commonly accepted interpretation of these books been passed down for far too long by either the inept or the personal agenda-driven? Yes. But, the books themselves really do reveal their individual intended purposes when anyone with a brain cell to spare examines them.

Rew, Outsourced, SuperWatto and 4 others like this.
  11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Genesis is clearly creation myth, which is obvious when you read contemporary myths like the epic of Gilgamesh.

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, I'm pretty sure all the names are curiously symbolic for exactly 11 chapters of exactly one book which just so happens to then deviate wildly in favor of establishing valid lines of descent amongst patriarchs because the ancient Hebrews - sorry, just Moses - boldly anticipated later developments in historiography which demanded the removal of mythological elements from the text and definitely had our post-Enlightenment view of where the line between fact and fiction lay.

Rylo Ken, Outsourced, tom and 3 others like this.
  13. Revyl Ren

Revyl Ren Jedi Master star 2

Aug 12, 2015
    On what grounds to you believe Genesis to be factual, if I may ask?
    Have you taken a good look at what natural science has to say on those matters?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Genesis was a Schwarzenegger movie, wasn't it? I think it was a good one. A factual one.

Alpha-Red and SuperWatto like this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    When you read ancient Hebrew it is. I've mentioned before that I did my own full translation of Jonah, for instance, and it was clear it was parable from the writing style and references.

16. a star war

May 4, 2016
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You get that this is a senate thread, right?

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I find these sorts of conversations tiresome.

The basic argument is that taking the entire Bible as literal would imply unbelievable consequences.

In a religion about someone coming back to life. Take away every “questionable” text and the religion is still undeniably about this.

It’s not a scientific belief. People choose to accept it or not. The rest is garbage. (Note: Rachel’s discussion about how Christians should understand their own sacred texts is a more nuanced and worthwhile discussion.).

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    In the Baha’i Faith, we’re told that while miracles* are a thing, it’s actually a really bad idea to attempt to use miracles as a method of proving the validity of religion. After all, some people have a hard time believing something they themselves experienced first-hand [face_laugh] how much harder then for someone years or even centuries removed from the incident.

*inasmuch as the Baha’i Faith also teaches that science and religion must agree, otherwise it’s either mere superstition or empty materialism. So I personally describe miracles as phenomena that cannot be explained with current scientific understanding.

Rew and solojones like this.
  20. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Sorry, if this is the senate then how or why am I supposed to take seriously "believe me I've translated it myself"? That tells me absolutely nothing. Where are your notes? Who'd you use as references? What source did you use?

How else am I supposed to respond to "I did it and it was clear to me"? Get real.

siha and CT-867-5309 like this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Because I've previously talked extensively about it. But your dismissive attitude doesn't exactly inspire one to write a whole essay about it. You don't seem to have an intellectually honest interest in such a discussion.

Lordban likes this.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Clearly you are both in a frothing rage.

Lordban, solojones and Outsourced like this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I also find it a little bizarre that this debate is about "HOW CAN YOU TELL WHAT GENRE IT IS?!" as if that's the most difficult question, or rather that there's some sort of objective scientific test she could run and deliberately has not.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Right? Genre is honestly pretty easy in any literature you read. Even in translation but especially in the original language. Like I've said, it's obvious Genesis is creation myth because it references and uses the same style as other contemporary creation myths. It's a response to them. "Your founding myth says the world was created through accidentally violence, my view says a loving God oversaw it with care." That's what it's saying. Not "this is science and the world was literally made exactly this way."

Also, if you need someone to tell you what books are poetry, idk what to say.

Rew and Lordban like this.
  25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's all pointless anyway because, as we all know from the Linga Purana, existence actually just continuously arises from and is subsumed by Adi Parashakti via the union of every Pavarti and Shiva in all universes.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019