main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Third Basketball Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    PG: John Stockton (34 minutes)/ Russell Westbrook (14 minutes)
    SG: Vince Carter (35 minutes)/Alvin Robertson (13 minutes)
    SF: Grant Hill (30 minutes)/ Shawn Marion (16 minutes)/ Peja Stojakovic (2 minutes)
    PF: Karl Malone (35 minutes)/ Anthony Davis (13 minutes)
    C: David Robinson (40 minutes)/ George Mikan (5 minutes)/ Arvydas Sabonis (3 minutes)

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    not trying to get ahead of myself here at all, but i have an idea for a fourth draft. the draft would only last one round and instead of picking individual players everyone would just pick a franchise. then you would just stack your team with players from that team's history. you could only use each player once and the year you choose would have to be a year that they were with that franchise. however players who played on multiple teams in real life could also be used on multiple teams here. the warriors, 76ers, and lakers could all have their own version of wilt. there could be six shaqs , though they wouldn't all be great, etc. anyway, i just thought this could be fun if people are interested.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I like it. You might want to split the Lakers and Celtics into eras, otherwise first two picks win.

Maybe two rounds, two franchises each to add variety and SOMEWHAT offset the top heavy nature.

4. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    That actually sounds pretty cool.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004

yeah, i thought of that too actually but i don't know. having it be the all-time team of one franchise would sort of be the point. i think if twelve people signed up again that there are twelve franchises that could all have a shot. obviously, the lakers and celtics would be the most stacked, but would be limited to twelve man rosters and could only play 5 players at a time just like everyone else. i think the lakers would probably boast the best starting five, but i'm not sure the celtics would even be second and i think there are a lot of teams that could be close and maybe even beat that laker team.

i mean here's just one example:

wilt chamberlain (65-66)
    charles barkley (90-91)
    julius erving (81-82)
    allen iverson (05-06)
    maurice cheeks (82-83)

obviously you could make that team better by grabbing the (original) hornets in the second round and plugging chris paul into the point guard spot, but i think that would detract from what would make this draft cool and different.

in short, yes the lakers are a problem.

6. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    much as i'd hate to say it... you might have to just take them out of it, because of how utterly ridiculous they are in not just HOF talent, but top tier, three people in the pantheon level of talent. i don't really care what else you have, tell me who beats kobe, magic and shaq?

7. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Any team with Darko Milicic on it. Duh. :p

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    maybe no one, but the fun would be finding out. maybe that sixers team, maybe the run-tmc warriors plus the most dominant wilt season. maybe the core of the 72 win bulls plus mvp derrick rose at the point and 77-78 artis gilmore in the middle. maybe an equally loaded celtics team. the lakers would be the favorite without question, but i don't think you can say they'd be unbeatable.

9. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    But maybe only beatable by 3 or 4 carefully-crafted teams. We're not going to see anyone winning with the 'second-tier' teams like the Pistons, for instance, despite some great players who played for them (Thomas, Billups, Ben Wallace, Dumars, etc.)

10. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    which is kinda exactly my point. and even those top tier teams? could they do it even 50% of the time?

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think the pistons probably wouldn't get drafted if there are 12 teams, but i think there are probably closer to 8 or 9 teams that would have a real shot against the lakers. here's another quick example, just for fun.

shaquille o'neal 04-05
    alonzo mourning 99-00
    lebron james 12-13
    dwyane wade 08-09
    tim hardaway 96-97

edit: i don't know, but maybe inty would want to run a few test sims with this or similar teams against the lakers all-time team to determine if it's worth it or not before we do a whole draft.

12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Just out of curiosity, what are those other teams you believe have a shot?

13. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm in.

Darth Tunes , Point Given and tom like this.
  14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the teams i already mentioned: bulls, celtics, sixers, warriors, and heat. i would add to that the spurs and rockets, and possibly the sonics/thunder. that last one's kind of a homer pick, but i think you could put together a pretty fun team centered around durant's mvp year. similarly you could build a cavs team around lebron's 08-09 year or a bucks team around kareem in 71-72. the pistons are tough because in both of their title eras they were very balanced teams who didn't have those standout individual seasons.

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    [​IMG]

Simulated Live, from Energy Solutions Arena, in Salt Lake City, UT

Game 4

the blue shells @ Most Excellent Hoopsters

Full Box Score
    Play-by-Play

Put your brooms away.

Just barely.

There are still signs of life in Most Excellent Hoopsters.

Just Barely.

Artis Gilmore recovered from being swatted by David Robinson with six seconds left - a block that almost sealed the game for M.E.H. - and grabbed his own rebound and just beat the buzzer with a dunk at triple zeroes to send the game to overtime.

the blue shells then started overtime on a 6-2 run, making a coronation seem inevitable. But, M.E.H. found a way to fight back, and took a four point lead with just over a minute to play. An Oscar Robertson triple with 45 seconds left brought it to a one point game, and when Kevin Durant stole the ball from Vince Carter 11 seconds later, it seemed as if that coronation would happen.

But, Durant missed on his drive to the hoop, only to redeem himself by grabbing a rebound with 13 seconds left, giving the blue shells the ball, facing a one-point deficit.

But, there would be no dramatic buzzer-beating winner. Only a turnover - forced by Grant Hill - to see M.E.H. eek out a win and send the game back to Seattle.

Three Most Excellent Hoopsters scored 20+ points, with Robinson leading the way, as the Admiral scored 25, and added 5 rebounds and 6 assists. Vince Carter and Karl Malone each scored 20.

the blue shells will have a simple answer when they wonder how they lost a game where they shot 55.7% from the field, got to the line 31 times (compared to just 16 for M.E.H.), and had a 53-39 edge on the glass. The simple answer? Turnovers. the blue shells were careless with the ball, committing 30 turnovers, compared to just 9 for M.E.H. Six turnover each from Durant and Gilmore marred their otherwise excellent nights. Durant had 37 points, 11 rebounds, 4 steals, and 5 assists, while Gilmore had 20 points, 13 rebounds, and 7 blocks.

Can M.E.H. keep hope alive and win game five? Or will the blue shells find their champagne in the home locker room?

Final Score: Most Excellent Hoopsters 121 (OT), the blue shells 120

the blue shells lead the Best-of-Seven Series 3-1

Clearly, this was the result of tom talking about next draft and jinxing himself.

tom likes this.
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    pg: oscar robertson (34 min) / steve nash (14min)
    sg: reggie miller (30 min) / oscar robertson (8 min) / kevin durant (10 min)
    sf: kevin durant (36 min) / connie hawkins (12 min)
    pf: dennis rodman (40 min) / connie hawkins (8 min)
    c: artis gilmore (44 min) / walt bellamy (4 min)

17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    SF: Grant Hill (29 minutes)/ Shawn Marion (17 minutes)/ Peja Stojakovic (2 minutes)
    PF: Karl Malone (37 minutes)/ Anthony Davis (11 minutes)
    C: David Robinson (40 minutes)/ George Mikan (5 minutes)/ Arvydas Sabonis (3 minutes)

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    [​IMG]

Simulated Live, from The Seattle Center, in Seattle, WA

Game 5

Most Excellent Hoopsters @ the blue shells

Full Box Score
    Play-by-Play

The Admiral lead his troops, and is steering the ship back to Salt Lake City for an improbable Game Six, as Most Excellent Hoopsters found a way to stay alive again.

David Robinson lead the night with 27 points, 13 rebounds, 6 blocks, and 3 steals. His big night lead M.E.H. to 52.6% shooting, and kept them close on the boards, as the blue shells had only a 51-46 edge, and only a 14-12 on the offensive glass.

Perhaps more importantly, his inside play allowed M.E.H. to flip a script from earlier in the series, as they got to the line 30 times, compared to just 19 for the blue shells.

Robinson's big night was helped by foul trouble to Artis Gilmore. Gilmore picked up his second foul with just under 5 minutes left in the first quarter, and immediately went to the bench. His return in the second quarter would last under three minutes before a third foul sent him back to the bench, but a gamble to bring him back in late in the first half paid off with him scoring, but also cost him his fourth foul before halftime. He'd pick up #5 less than four minutes into the third quarter. Those fouls lead to him playing tentative when he was on the court, and not being on it as often as his team wanted. Gilmore ended the night with just 26 minutes, and only 15 points and 7 rebounds.

Robinson got plenty of help from his shipmates. Vince Carter scored 23 points an a sizzling, efficient 8-for-13 shooting night. John Stockton ran the offense with poise, scoring 10 points and handing out 12 assists. Russell Westbrook chipped in 13 off the bench in just 15 minutes of action.

For the blue shells, turnovers again played a huge part in their downfall. They committed 20 as a team, with 7 of those coming from Oscar Robertson, tainting his 22 points, 10 assits, 5 rebound performance. Kevin Durant had a strong night, with 22 points, 9 assists, and 5 rebounds.

So, back to Utah we go. For Most Excellent Hoopsters, they are playing with house money, and trying to continue a comeback for the ages. All of the pressure remains on the blue shells, who are attempting to not only win a championship for the third consecutive game, but attempting to avoid one of the biggest chokes in sports history.

Final Score: Most Excellent Hoopsters 120, the blue shells 108

the blue shells lead the Best-of-Seven Series 3-2

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    pg: steve nash (32 min) / oscar robertson (16 min)
    sg: oscar robertson (28 min) / reggie miller (14 min) / kevin durant (6 min)
    sf: kevin durant (40 min) / connie hawkins (8 min)
    pf: dennis rodman (40 min) / connie hawkins (8 min)

20. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    SF: Grant Hill (29 minutes)/ Shawn Marion (19 minutes)/ Peja Stojakovic (0 minutes)
    PF: Karl Malone (38 minutes)/ Anthony Davis (10 minutes)
    C: David Robinson (41 minutes)/ George Mikan (5 minutes)/ Arvydas Sabonis (2 minutes)

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    [​IMG]

Simulated Live, from Energy Solutions Arena, in Salt Lake City, UT

Game 6

the blue shells @ Most Excellent Hoopsters

Full Box Score
    Play-by-Play

The ghosts for the 2004 Yankees seem to be beckoning the blue shells.

Most Excellent Hoopsters ripped off a 13-2 run over the final three minutes and twenty seconds of the first quarter to cap off a 39-point effort in the opening stanza, and never looked back as they cruised to a dominate victory in front of a highly energized crowd.

Lead by 21 points each from David Robinson and Grant Hill, at times it seemed as if M.E.H. could not miss as they shot 57.9% from the field, 77.8% on triples, and 82.6% from the charity stripe. The Admiral added 7 assists and 6 rebounds and Hill 7 assists and 7 rebounds, helping to stake M.E.H. to a 45-36 edge on the glass. Two other starters - Karl Malone with 19 points and Vince Carter with 16 - scored in double digits for the Hoopsters, and three got there off the bench, including 16 from Russell Westbrook in just 15 minutes.

the blue shells got a nice rebound effort (pun intended) from Artis Gilmore, who scored 17 points and grabbed 13 rebounds. But, outside of Gilmore, Kevin Durant, and Dennis Rodman, the rest of the team combined for just 10 total rebounds, a disappointing effort on the glass. Durant tried to carry the load with 27 points, 9 assists, and 6 rebounds, but he wasn't nearly enough to overcome the hot shooting from M.E.H.

M.E.H. was also very careful with their possessions, turning it over only 8 times all game, and countering that with 13 offensive rebounds. the blue shells did a little better than their previous two losses, with only 14 turnovers, and Steve Nash did a great job running the offense, with 13 points, 11 assists, and only 2 turnovers.

Both teams now have three game winning streaks in the series, a true rarity in seven game series. the blue shells will head home trying to right the ship and get back to what got them a 3-0 lead. Most Excellent Hoopsters will take that trip with confidence and momentum, knowing if they continue to play like this, the championship that looked so improbably will be there's to savor.

Final Score: Most Excellent Hoopsters 136, the blue shells 110

The Best-of-Seven Series is tied 3-3

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    wow, damn. hmmm.

pg: oscar robertson (34 min) / steve nash (14min)
    sg: reggie miller (30 min) / oscar robertson (8 min) / kevin durant (10 min)
    sf: kevin durant (36 min) / connie hawkins (12 min)
    pf: dennis rodman (38 min) / walt bellamy (10 min)

23. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Okay so in the franchise model I call the Cavs but since LeBron was there twice I want two LeBrons, a Kyrie, Mo, and Shaq

Bench is 7 Varejaos

Just give me the title

xblackout and tom like this.
  24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Gimme the Lakers, obviously. :p

*Conference title.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    That's messed up. How do you not demand to get both Kyrie and Uncle Drew?