main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ticket-touting scum *******!!! Named and shamed!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Happy Ninja, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Ebay is insane. People are bidding £50 for tickets to the first screening at the Odeon on the 19th, and that show hasn't even sold out yet! But I know if I see a marathon ticket nearing the end of its auction at around £100 I'm gonna be very tempted to bid, even though I don't want to help the same scum that cheated me out of a ticket. What's a fan to do? :(

2. hokers

hokers Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    Fair enough then, I have seen some withdrawn, including the one for 6 with the unexpected anna kournikova picture.

What are you searching on to find these? I could only find 58 total, searching for things like "star wars" +marathon, or +saga or +ticket.

As far as talking prices up, a) I haven't decided to ebay mine yet, and b) the numbers of people reading this thread are microscopic compared to the 100000 calls which the cinema apparently got at 9am, so it would hardly make any real difference. I'll concede that the prices are coming down when we see some finish below say £300 each, but I personally expect prices to rise as we get closer.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Stand up for yourself
    You must be careful if you buy Ebay tickets incase you are refused entry

4. hokers

hokers Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    On that very subject though, how exactly are UCI to know which tickets have been ebayed? Very few of the auctions have ticket numbers in now, so how on earth are they to know? I mean seriously what measures might they use? Surname matching, requiring ID?

5. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I can't say how, but trust me they know.

6. Parm

Parm Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2005
    I was really hoping to buy tickets on eBay as a last resort, but some of the prices now are becoming a joke.

On a lot, if not all auctions, a single person bids repeatedly to up the price.
    I can't see why one person alone would out bid themselves so many times in so few minutes.
    The only logical explanation is that it's a nasty effort to raise the price, knowing full well that a Star Wars fan will still bid higher.

It's so not fair.
    Practically all the tickets on eBay are now out of my girlfriend and I's budget. :(

7. TheDarthVader

TheDarthVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    speaking of fake auctions or falsely increasing prices, look at this:

it looks fake, and even if it is real, the mrbiffo bids are a sure fake. He has a private record and look at his bid pattern on the bid history.

The guy selling these tickets is true scum.

8. hokers

hokers Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    Nah, they do it so the auction has more bids on it, to discourage people from bidding on it. They know the auctions get the most bids right at the end, and they want to encourage people to look at other auctions instead of bidding on the one they want.

I think the best chance of everyone is to wait for people to start putting them on with Buy-It-Now prices that are more reasonable, which I think is likely to happen as time goes by. A pair went for £450 BIN on tuesday. It's also pretty possible that some people who want to resell have yet to pick their tickets up, it was only 3 days ago, so we might well see a few more appear on ebay after this weekend.

Might be worth posting in the ebay Want It Now section, as there are only two people after saga tickets in there, neither of which have offered a price.

9. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    so you suggest, leaving the auctions that finish today?

10. hokers

hokers Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    I personally think the best chance of getting cheap tickets is to post your email and an offer price on few forums and see what you get back. People are a little bit reluctant to go to ebay, because for prices this high, the final valuation fee will be quite high, plus you never know if you're going to end up with a non-paying bidder.

11. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    Do you know which forums allow soliciting, and which forums have good feedback levels?

12. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    Not that I want to stand up for the ticket-selling ******** but the same bidder being shown repeatedly doesn't mean anyone's trying to push the price up - if someone puts in a high bid then the next person puts in a lower bid then the second bidder may then decide to put in another bid. If they do this a few times then they show up as having bid several times, but the original bidder will still be at the top if their bid was very high.

13. Interpol

Interpol Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2005
    I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but some of the eBay auctions have finished early and now have the message: "The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."

I don't know what has happened, but someone has managed to close some listings.

14. hokers

hokers Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    Withdrawn because item is no longer for sale is when the seller has pulled it, usually because he's had an offer good enough for him to stop the auction, he then avoids paying ebay final valuation fees.

Pretty sure ebay will not close any auctions unless they think the tickets are faked or stolen or something.

15. MattZitron

MattZitron Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2005
    How legally can UCI refuse entry to people?

Niether the tickets nor passports say not for resale.

They remain the property of the people who bought them, and they have the right to sell them.

As long as they don't do it outside the cinema.

If UCI are using Ebay to track people, that in itself may not be illegal, it does bring into question Ebay's ethics.

16. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    UCI aren't using ebay to track people. From what I've been told Ebay aren't cooperating with UCI in any way.

That said UCI are monitoring ebay and are keeping track of the tickest on there.

17. MattZitron

MattZitron Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2005
    But UCI can't refuse anyone entry.

If they have the passport and the ticket, they can't do anything.

18. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I'm not sure how it works. All I know is they are monitoring ebay and advising people that tickets purchased via ebay may not be valid on the day.

I'm not sure what the legal situation is or how far they can go with this. I'm just passing on what they've told me as I don't want anyone here to spend a fortune on ebay tickets only to find they're not allowed to see the films for whatever legal loophole Fox manages to find.

19. Darth_Jaxons_Wife

Darth_Jaxons_Wife Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2005
    I would find it hard to believe that UCI or Fox would refuse entry to anyone with a ticket and passport, regardless of where they got the ticket/passport. After all, the people with the tickets are the true fans, and most of us would pay whatever we could afford to see the movies.

Granted I think the prices on Ebay are ridiculous and am glad I don't have to pay those prices, but there may be some fans out there that have the money to spend 500 pounds a ticket.

I don't see why UCI or Fox would hurt the true fans that love and support Star Wars no matter what. These people should not be faulted or penalized for wanting to see the shows that badly.

20. Darth_Jaxons_Wife

Apr 25, 2005
    I'm not sure how it works. All I know is they are monitoring ebay and advising people that tickets purchased via ebay may not be valid on the day.

I'm not sure what the legal situation is or how far they can go with this. I'm just passing on what they've told me as I don't want anyone here to spend a fortune on ebay tickets only to find they're not allowed to see the films for whatever legal loophole Fox manages to find.

Chris, I agree that they may try to stop this from happening, but my point is that I don't know why they would want to. If they stop a real true die hard Star Wars fan from getting into the shows, they are only hurting themselves. Both the theater, Fox, and Lucas Films. You know what I mean?

I would be so mad at those entities for banning my entrance that I would have to reconsider my love and loyalty to them. Why would they do that to someone who dedicates so much of their lives and money to Star Wars, you know?

My husband and I have a whole room in our house dedicated to Star Wars, we have our 2 year old son walking around the house trying to breathe like Darth Vader. We named our dogs Jedi and Vader... why would they risk losing that loyalty, and, potential revenue?

21. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    Im sure all they can do is look to see if it's valid or not.... I can't imagine them asking " How did you obtain these tickets"..

although it IS a big event...

22. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I think that's the problem they're faced with. They want to stop the ebay sales but they don't want to hurt the fans.

Like I said, I only know part of what they're doing, none of the legal stuff or what they plan to do if they do void any tickets.

The best way would be to cancel the ebay tickets thus voiding the auctions then selling the tickets again at original cost. But I doubt that they can legally do that.

I also think that a lot of it comes down to Fox rather than UCI.

23. Jimbo2183

Jimbo2183 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2004
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58732&item=6528589176&rd=1

Buy it now for 800 quid! Pffft

24. Darth_Jaxons_Wife

Apr 25, 2005
    Chris - I agree, a lot will come down to Fox. I don't think UCI cares who is there as long as they have their ticket/passport. It will be Fox that would be pushing to not let people in.

25. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    will fox have a presence on may 16th?:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.