main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD The Time Has Come...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Sep 18, 2022.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey Fanficers–

As most of you probably know, I had a baby back in December, and it’s been amazing. Exhausting, terrifying, gross, weird, but amazing. I kept thinking I’d get the hang of it, but between the baby and my job, and getting to spend just a little bit of time with my husband, I don’t have much left. So I’ll be stepping down as a mod.

To be honest, I should have probably stepped down a while ago, but I’ve loved being a mod for this community. It’s changed a lot over the years, but I love it just as I always have.

I was promoted in 2009, right in the middle of the Awards. I replaced VaderLR64, for those of you who weren’t around then, everyone called her ‘Momma Vader’ and she was very loved --they were some very big shoes to fill. The boards were quite different back then, in the times from before The Move. The story boards were divided up into Before the Saga, The Saga, and Beyond the Saga. They moved very fast. A story could fall off the front page in a matter of hours. There were ‘ship wars, where people fought for their OTPs and they could be brutal. We had no hope of new movies, only games and books. But as we approached The Move, things had slowed down and then when we were on a Pizza Run (on the temporary boards) for way longer than expected, things slowed even more and we decided to combine back into one storyboard. Then Disney bought Star Wars and things have just gotten more and more complicated with having all different eras and old ones. It’s all been crazy and it’s mostly been fun!

I’ve worked with some awesome mods (And hopefully I don’t forget any!): Jedi Trace, Commander-DWH, KELIA, Luna_Nightshade, NYCitygurl, Miana Kenobi, and of course, Mira Jade, and Briannakin. Some of them I’m lucky to call friends, but all of them have been amazing to work with. Findswoman and devilinthedetails have been amazing members of this community and I know they are going to be amazing mods. No matter who your mods are in the time you spend here, I want you guys to always remember they are volunteers. They do this in their free time because they love this place. They are real people with feelings and stresses and life, just as they should remember that about you.

So I know that was a bit of a trip down memory lane and a lot of words, but we’re writers, right? I do want to thank each and every one of you for making this community what it is. There are very few places on the internet where you can feel safe to put yourself out there, where new writers can feel comfortable posting their stories. I hope this always remains a kind, loving place to post fanfic. While it might not be as big as it once was, the heart of the place is just as big.

I hope that without the pressure of being a mod, I’ll be around a bit more than I have been recently, though I can’t promise anything right now. (Time has no meaning when you've not slept through the night in 9 months!) But always feel free to reach out to me anytime and I’ll always get back to you when I get on. I’m always here for any of you.

Love always,
    Mav

jcgoble3, Deliveranze, Vehn and 15 others like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @mavjade ... Oh yes, I do remmember the awesome VaderLVR64 and Jedi Trace!!! So much off the chain talent! =D= And NYCityGurl ... (loved her hilarious! fics!)

Love your encapsulation of being a mommy [face_laugh] and hope to see you around as a reader/reviewer @};-

3. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    @mavjade , thank you for all the years of work you've done for this community being a mod. The fanfic boards have meant so much to me and to all of us here, and you made that possible in so many ways. =D= And I too hope that we'll see you around here soon, though if that doesn't happen for a while I think one of the pretty cool things about this place is that chances are very good that we'll be right here when you can come back. (I for one will probably haunt this place forever. :p) All the best to you and your family! [:D]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    You were a wonderful mod, and I am going to miss having you around in that capacity! I will do my best to follow in your footsteps!

I look forward to seeing you around the fanfic community as time allows and once again congrats on the birth of your child!

Thank you again for everything you did to make this site and this part of it in particular one of the best places on the Internet[:D]

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Man all the cool mods and admins are retiring. :p Best of luck with the family!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Much love and many hugs to you, Mav! [:D] Thank you so much for all you have done for this forum over the years—you and all those awesome past mods (some I've known too, some not, and it was very cool to hear the history either way!) have really done so much to make this a unique and wonderful place on the internet. Yours are big shoes to fill, and I'll do the very best I can to carry on your legacy! Wishing you success and courage on the adventure of motherhood, and we will indeed be right here for you whenever you're able to make it back. @};-

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    best of luck to your family and hope to see you often in reviews and stories

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Mav, I'm following you out of Mod Squad to say we all noticed how you tried to just slip out like you weren't constantly alluding to cannibalism.

9. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Thanks so much for all the time and attention you dedicated to this place! Hope to still see you around! @};-

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    MAVVVVV!! COME BACK HERE! DONT YOU DARE LEAVE WITHOUT ME!

All jokes aside - and we’ve done the long, mushy in private, but I am so thankful we modded together and became such close friends. I look forward to hearing from you when you have actually gotten more than a few hours of sleep.

11. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I have come bearing baby tips:

- Babies make funny noises at night when they sleep. They sound like dolphins sometimes. This is normal.
    - Naps and snacks help. Like, a lot - even past the age when you think they will. This holds into adulthood, honestly.
    - The length of a baby's "what's wrong with me and why am I crying" menu increases in direct proportion to their level of communication. Which is nice, but also not.
    - If the baby is a boy, point the penis down when changing the diaper. This is important, and not enough people talk about it. Someone told me, but I forgot one time just before getting on an airplane. Never forgot again after that.
    - You don't just get rocket pee. You can also have rocket poop. More than you thought possible. When you're changing have the new diaper under and hold it covering the area in general.
    - If you have fallen victim to rocket poop, pull the onesie down over the shoulders and not up over the head.
    - Don’t get too caught up looking towards the next milestone and enjoy where you baby is at the moment.
    - Take baby advice from people with a grain of salt. Every baby is different and the same thing does not work for everyone. Follow your instinct and do what works best for you and baby. <3

May the Force be with you, and get some good sleep! [face_hug]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  12. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    @mavjade, many, many thanks for all of your years of hard work and dedication to these forums. [:D] I remember those sleepless nights days and nights well. LOL.

To add to what @vader_incarnate mentioned above, I will say don't ever be afraid to ask for help if you need it. Raising kids is super rewarding, but also difficult. Help always comes in handy.

Hope to see you around some once you catch up on that missing sleep and get into a groove with baby. May the Force be with you, always. @};-

13. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Also mods (ours) of times gone by: The_Face and JadeSolo.

[:D][:D][:D] For the modding, mavjade. :) (Also, was unaware you'd had a baby. Congrats!!!!)