main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The TK_Four_Two_One memorial football thread!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TK_Four_Two_One, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    That is the 11 I would pick. That?s the 11 Sven should pick unless there is any injuries. I think what you said about Owen been ineffective at times is kind of true, but he is one of them players who will pop up from no where and grab vital goals in the dying seconds of a match. Like he did against Argentina in October, he was non existent until he popped up from no where to grab the 2 vital winners. I would also definitely have Super Carra over Rio, not because I'm bias but I just don't trust Rio. You don't know who will show up, excellent no nonsense Sweeper or clumsy not concentrating fool. I am a little bias as Carrahger is a Liverpool player but for us he is phenomenal! He won't let anything get through him and with him and Terry at the back it will be like having a concrete wall in front of Robinson.

I think Bent deserves a place at the World Cup but I can?t see him getting one. Which is a shame because he is on fire at Charlton but the fact he plays for a club like Charlton it will keep him out the squad. I think he deserves a place ahead of Defoe who isn?t starting for Spurs regularly anymore. I say it has to be Bent or Defoe because they are very similar players, both been small and fast. We only need one of them. We need Crouchy because he is a completely different option for us and he is starting and scoring for Liverpool.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, Ronaldo's appeal has predictably failed. He now misses 3 games. FA Cup, Liverpool, and the Carling Cup semi. Silly boy

3. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    I think he deserves a place ahead of Defoe who isn?t starting for Spurs regularly anymore.

I agree and on the Crouch point BUT Mido has gorne' orft' to the African Nations which leaves Defoe ample time and oppitunity to claim his place in the England Squad.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It seems rather harsh to ban Ronaldo for longer just cos his appeal failed.
    He could appeal that ban on account of it being unfair, but then if he fails he could get a longer ban :p

England's big problem i feel is lack of cover for cetain areas.

Left wing is no too much of a problem now since Downing can cover Joe Cole. But what would happen if Gary Neville got injured?

We dont have many English Right-backs I can think of

I included Bridge in my 23 cos he can cover left-back if Ashley Cole gets injured, but it seems that wing defense is a bit of a problem.

5. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Carragher can play right-back, he used to do it for Liverpool. Just have Campbell or Rio in the centre. Or Luke Young, he did well for the brief period Neville was injured. Apart from Cole there isn't many left-backs, Konchesky from West Ham or Warnock from Liverpool have both been called up recently since Cole has been injured. But Wayen Bridge has hardly played recently, I wouldn't pick him.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I know hes hardly played, but hes good when he does.

But either way, I think thats an area that England need to address more urgently then the Left wing problem

7. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    Whoops I meant Young not Carr!

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    If you're sent off for 2 yellows in a match, you get a one match ban. I'm not sure what the punishment for a straight red is. It might be 2 games. If you appeal and win, it's 0. If you lose, it goes up to 3. I guess this is to stop everyone appealing if there's nothing to lose.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, United at least now have Park to take his place

If a central midfielder had been banned it would have been a big problem.

10. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    ******* ridiculous decision not to take it back- didnt even touch the ******. And dont give me that intent rubbish- he didnt touch the ****- plain and simple. Cole made a meal of it.

EDIT: Whole word, including the "ing" please

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I disagree that it's a ridiculous decision not to take it back. By the rules of the game (as they are at the moment) it was a red-card offence. Whether the rule should be changed or not is a different argument, and a valid one.

What about Viera in that 0-0 match a couple of years back. He was sent off for trying to headbutt Van Nistelrooy. He didn't make contact, but still got red-carded.

12. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    So should they give goals to people who hit a shot at goal with intent to score? I have never agreed with this intent crap- he shouldnt have went and neither should have Vieira.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    He was being aggressive

And he showed studs, thats dangerous. The rules are strict on that, like raising feet very high. Although when Ronaldo was fouled he should have got a free kick and the other player should have been booked. But thats not an excuse for Ronaldo to behave the way he did.

However, I dont think its fair he should get a longer ban for a failed appeal, appealing is his right if he feels he was treated unfairly

And how do we know he wasn't trying to hurt Cole and that Cole didn't just manage to get out of the way?

14. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Totally disagree. Too many 'soft lads' in the game turning it into virtually a non contact sport.

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't think that's quite what I said lol!

Oops, sorry about the spelling.

But intent to murder is still an offence. I THINK it may even carry a life sentence.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, that I agree with
    I mean, how wimpy are some of these players?

They get knocked down and they roll around like they've broken a leg or something :rolleyes:

And too many players dive these days

17. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    [image=http://img283.echo.cx/img283/5919/vieiradive8aw.gif]

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    LMAO at pic!!

And I do agree that it's becoming far too soft, but there are still limits.

And I also agree that divers are 2nd only to chavs. And this includes Robben and Drogba. Great players, but stop that stupid behaviour!

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Wow!

Snopes has this to say about the Ronaldo incident!

20. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    Gooners have the biggest divers in Pires and that complete **** Reyes.

21. woodlebert1

woodlebert1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2005
    sunderland have honest players who dont dive

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The worst thing is when a player could easily be through on goal once they beat the last defender, but instead decide to dive and hope for a freekick or penalty.

I'd rather they had carried on and scored rather then trying to gain free kicks or penalties which they aren't certain to score from.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Interesting United game

Ferguson played a weak side and drew in the first leg, and he played almost the same side and won 5-0 in the second leg.

Though it was a rather sloppy performance from United, and if they hadn't been playing a conference side they could easily have been defeated.
    The young players played better then the senoir players. Fletcher, Silvestre & Solskjaer all passed very poorly at times and gave the ball away in dangerous positions.

Some promising young players seem to be coming through for United. Bardsley looks to be a good long-term replacement for Neville and Richardson will I'm sure become a quality winger once Heinze returns and he stops being dumped at left-back :p
    And if Rossi carries on he will be a formidable striker, good replacement when Van Nistlerooy retires.

Good result for Everton too. I wonder how they?ll do against Chelsea considering they drew in the Premiership

24. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Rossi performed well but I wont get carried away. I think Silvestre is gone in the summer.

25. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    IMO Rossi's one of those players who looks good when they're young, and looks good when given the odd opportunity in the first team against lesser opposition, but when given his chance to play regularly for a big side just doesn't step up to the plate. He'll have a good career at Championship or lower Premiership level in the future, but it won't be at Manchester United.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.