main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Tony Blair Resignation Countdown Thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by halibut, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, he's going on 27th June

48 days to go

2. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    Is there an election this year? If there is it will be the first one in which I can vote.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    No election unless Brown calls one. I don't think they have to call one til 2010.

In other news the Bank has raised interest rates to 5.5%. It's just breaking on Sky News.

I have a feeling I might spend part of June 27 in a nearby pub celebrating.

4. clonetrooper1

clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2005
    Wayhey!

48 days

well it dosen't effect me... yet

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Get 'em in. I'll join you.[face_dancing]

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Still 48 days to go :(

7. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    Two days after my birthday! huzzah!

8. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    That's at the very latest, LAJ. Usually it's every 4 years, but a government can stretch it to five years in the case of emergency, or if they really, really want to cling onto power for as long as possible *coughBrowncough*

9. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Tony Blair was a great Prime minister and person, peace in Ireland, no more Saddam in Iraq, Helping NATO in Afghanistan and helped protect Britain from mindless Terrorists. These 10 years have seen so many great changes. People might disagree with Iraq but when you get the CIA telling you Saddam has WMD's then what you going to sit back and hope for the best, No he acted like any leader would do even if the Intel was wrong if he didn?t act then he would have been blasted anyway. So he did the right thing on the Intel he was given and in the process brought democracy to the Iraqi people.

Tony Blair we will miss you, the longest running Prime Minster in history.

(1997-2007)

@};-

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    LOL! He wasn't quite the longest serving PM. He is well short of Mrs Thatacher. There were others that served longer.

As far as Iraq goes, I'll have to disagree. In my view he always knew the evidence for Iraq having WMD was shaky at best, which is why he decided to "sex-up" the intelligence. I mean honestly, you don't seriously think that he or anybody else REALLY believed Saddam Hussain could attack us in 45 minutes do you? He knew it was a load of rubbish, MI5 and MI6 knew it was a load of rubbish, everybody knew it was a load of rubbish. The case for Iraq possessing WMD never made sense or staked up - The real reason for going to war with Iraq was regime change. Thats the arguement Bush was making in America. The WMD thing was always a red herring.

The tragedy of Iraq is that its actually made the "war on terror" worse. There was no WMD in Iraq and there was no Al Queda in Iraq before we invaded, but there darn well is now. Its been the greatest foreign policy blunder since Munich, IMO.

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Longest LABOUR PM.

Maggie was 11 and a half years

12. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I'll just say this I prefer Tony Blair to Gordon Brown.

13. Disciple-of-Tython

Sep 12, 2006
    Oops I forgot about the Conservative Dark Times and Thatcher, must be trying to erase those years in history from my mind. Lets hope the Conservaties don't return.

Well IMO I think he did what was best in his eyes, as this quote states...

"Hand on heart, I did what I thought was right, I may have been wrong, that's your call. But believe one thing, if nothing else, I did what I thought was right for our country."

So I respect him for that, anyway people always look on the bad points never the good e.g. Bringing a TRUE peace to Ireland more than the Conservatives have ever done e.g. something more than just getting money off people.

14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm curious. If you're 17 as your profile says, how do you have any idea of what life was like under Thatcher? She left around the same time you were born.

I'd be interested to know what you specifically recall of life under a Conservative government at all, as you'd have only been 7 when Blair took over.

15. Disciple-of-Tython

Sep 12, 2006
    Parents, teachers, friends, common sense e.t.c and believe me I don't want that happening in my life time.

Curious what party do you support?

Off topic:

Why in the Ccntact your RSAs section has the names been moved around?:confused:

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I would suggest that you (and anyone for that matter) look at each party's policies etc and history from neutral viewpoints and form your own opinion on who YOU want to elect. It saddens me when other people's (possibly biased) viewpoints are enforced onto others. For each person you can find that says Thatcher was the worst PM ever, I can find you one that says she was the best. I don't believe that "common sense" can show anyone that a certain PM or party is bad.

I don't follow a specific party. When elections come along, I look at the policies for each, and in general elections I also look at what the MP will do in my own constituent. I'm a selfish voter. I want a council/MP who can benefit me and my family.

17. Disciple-of-Tython

Sep 12, 2006
    No one has EVER forced there opinion on me, I however have always been interested in politics and I'm a member of the National Youth Council.

Right so heres an extreme example: you didn't have to live in Nazi Germany to see how bad the Party was e.g. you use your Common sense. I have studied the politics of Britain and have come to my OWN conclusion that the Thatcher years were a bad time for Britain.

18. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    Guess that now Blair is going, the Conservatives will be back :(

19. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    For me, that's a good thing.

20. Disciple-of-Tython

Sep 12, 2006
    Why Sie? :)

Hey that rhymes!

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Wow. I didn't expect Godwin's law to come into effect so soon into this thread!

So, why was the Thatcher government so bad for Britain? And how does common sense show that, rather than the opinions of (possibly biased) people who were actually around at the time?

22. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    You want the Tories back? :eek:

23. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    You're a poet and you didn't know it ;)

As for why Conservatives coming back into power is a good thing, well, I'm right-wing :p Not BNP, Nazi-style right-wing, but more centre-right. Labour has been a soft government for me, and led us all almost to ruin with Iraq and its soft immigration policy.

Feel free to disagree. Even my girlfriend calls me a moron for my political beliefs (but she's Lib Dem, so what does she know? ;))

24. Disciple-of-Tython

Sep 12, 2006
    Well Sie thats why this is a Democratic country :)

As long as your a Notherner and a great RSA theres nothing to worry about ;)

25. Disciple-of-Tython

Sep 12, 2006
    3.3 million were unemployed with no hope of a job. The economy went into recession and the dole was being withdrawn unless you could PROVE you were actively searching for work.
    It ruined millions of people's lives and put millions more into unproductive boredom and hardship. It cost the country £40b in lost productivity and the only thing Margaret did was make it worse. Meanwhile as the City of London got richer on public share sell-offs and massive bonuses for cost-cutting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.